It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
Made sure I owned the original before it disappeared.

I don't want to support Beamdog.
low rated
fgorczynski: As I said, average gamer nowadays won't be eager to mess with all mods and stuff like that just to see the game in higher resolution, with usable menus, stackable items and such improvements that make the game not so much 1999, not to mention other mods?
The modern improvements are installed just like the base game, in an extremely user-friendly way. I think it even autodetects the installation folder. There's no need to "mess" with them, unpack containers, copy files into hidden folders or whatnot.
Planescape: Torment doesn't need (and I think doesn't even have) additional content mods.
Planescape: Torment doesn't need an Enhanced Edition.

The situation with Baldur's Gate is a 360 degrees turn (and when I say 360, I mean 360). Baldur's Gate is a old and dated RPG which becomes better (for me, it becomes playable) with new content, which is why tons of new content was made for it.
In EE, this content is unavailable, because it's been more than a decade and people have moved on with their lives. Four forgettable NPCs don't make up for it.
Baldur's Gate didn't need an Enhanced Edition either.
HiPhish: It is also why you cannot buy many older games like Strife or System Shock in their original version, but at least those two were never sold in their original form online.
You do know that both System Shock and Strife come with their original versions here, right?
high rated
So will it be "enhanced" ideologically as well? To, you know, gradually mould people's minds? Not only we have the ideological conditioning in basically every TV series, film, comic book around (and in more and more games, now they are "adjusting" the old good thought-independent games. And Beamdog has done it, so the enhanced edition is not necessarily a good piece of news, especially that the purchase of the old version will be blocked by GOG (WTF GOG, rlly!).
amurgaming: A little shitty though, that Steam gets the soundtrack. GOG used to be the place where gamers would get plenty of juicy extras. These days no or paid extras seem to be the norm :(
The soundtrack on Steam is a DLC and I think it will cost $10 to buy.
My guess is that GOG will get a similar deal, can't imagine why not. But the point is that it won't be free.
Reading a lot of posts complaining about the removal of the original PS:T

You guys know, that it is still available right now, yes?
https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

For just €9,49 (or whatever that equals in your chosen currency), it can be yours - just the good, almost 18 years old PS:T, without the unwanted EE stuff, without paying a single cent to the obviously much-hated Beamdog.

All you have to do, is to buy it now, while it's still available.

And after that?
Well, just wait for the inevitable sale.

Who knows - you might even get more for less then (= PS:T and PS:TEE for less than €9,49).

Sure, then you'll have to pay Beamdog (so better buy it now!), but at least you can still choose just to play the unaltered original version - even after the fact.
high rated
While I strongly recommend everyone actually take your advice, I still understand how people are upset (like myself) that the classic version wont be available anymore for people in the future.

I remember when Doom 3 BFG edition came out and Bethesda removed Doom 3 from the Steam store. People (rightly) complained about this and they put the classic version back up. This is, in many ways, a similar situation but unfortunately I don't think we'll get BD, or WotC to leave the classic by itself.
high rated
Don't like this too much. It seems a mean commercial move.

The EE is priced 21 dollars (i own a boxed version of the original, so no discount for me) and for what?

I appreciate they will not touch contents and that Avellone will do a proof reading of the text, but there will be no hi-Res portraits, no hi-res uncompressed background​s and a remastered OST, with no involvement of the author, but sold as an add-on for another 10 dollars.

It's a bit too overpriced for what they offer, assuming it will not be pestered by bugs on release.

I love that Qwinn give permission to use his fixes, him and Scient did a masterful job, but don't like at all giving Beamdog 20-30 dollars for what they are offering, they are a bit too greedy in my opinion.
Post edited March 30, 2017 by Yakkuz
GOG.com: The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

. . .

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.
So... Do I have to send you copies of my receipt where I purchased it? I didn't buy it through GOG...
high rated
Why Beamdog is wasting resources to remaster perfectly playable games? Wouldn't be better to put all this effort down to create something original instead?

Questions aside, both Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale as well as PS:T are perfectly playable in 2017 in their vanilla versions (although i'd definitely recommend at least the Widescreen Patch to make them easier on your eyes with the side-effect of making them graphics even more gorgeous), let alone using the very good mods that are out there.

Anyway, i'm completely indifferent about that company as i haven't played any of their enhanced editions myself (i see no reason to do it since i own everything in retail form), but it's definitely a good thing that they offer the original GOG versions of the games as well.
I never played this game; but, it seems that everyone speaks very highly of it. Was it similar to Baldur's Gate or IWD? Is it worthwhile getting?

When I saw enhanced, I was thinking maybe I should try it however it seems that the comments are not very positive.

Should I just buy the original? If so, how would the graphics look from a game so old? Or is that part of the nostalgia? It is GOG after all!!!
high rated
Already own the original game . Why should i waste $14.80 ?
high rated
I wonder how many bothered to directly contact Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro to express their opinion regarding the original versions of the Infinity Engine games only being available for purchase with the Beamdog Enhanced Editions or does anyone realistically believe that Beamdog and/or GOG unilaterally made that decision on their own?

http://wizards.custhelp.com/

https://company.wizards.com/content/contact-us

https://corporate.hasbro.com/en-us/consumer-care

https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/info_on_possibly_getting_the_classics_unbundled/post1
AndyBuzz: The soundtrack on Steam is a DLC and I think it will cost $10 to buy.
My guess is that GOG will get a similar deal, can't imagine why not. But the point is that it won't be free.
Ouch. The soundtrack is included with the original version in mp3 format, so if you factor in the soundtrack's cost (and don't mind not having lossless files like the remastered soundtrack includes), the same basic thing ends up costing three times as much as the original. The track list on Steam is even missing the 38th track called "Credits," weirdly enough. Talk about setting themselves up for mean-spirited observations.
high rated
Vythonaut: Wouldn't be better to put all this effort down to create something original instead?
They already have demonstrated how well that works, haven't they? ;)
Post edited March 29, 2017 by eiii