It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vendor-Lazarus: For all the steam DRM users in this thread:

https://reclaimthenet.org/steam-to-officially-launch-in-china/
fronzelneekburm: Meanwhile gog thinks they're in the safe because they cancelled the release of one game. lol

They're coming for ya, gog! It's only a matter of time... And when they do, you will be wondering if alienating the rest of your userbase was worth appeasing a luctrative but very volatile market.
Steam had also already removed that same game. But they are powerful enough to make the developers take responsability for it: "Due to technical issues that cause unexpected crashes and among other reasons, we are pulling Devotion off from steam store to have another complete QA check". It seems to be a everending recurring technical issues. It worked, because many people in defense of Steam claim the game was pulled by the developers.

l8r!
rgnrk: Steam had also already removed that same game. But they are powerful enough to make the developers take responsability for it: "Due to technical issues that cause unexpected crashes and among other reasons, we are pulling Devotion off from steam store to have another complete QA check". It seems to be a everending recurring technical issues. It worked, because many people in defense of Steam claim the game was pulled by the developers.

l8r!
I'm afraid they are not interested in this (imho valid) point.
rgnrk: Steam had also already removed that same game. But they are powerful enough to make the developers take responsability for it: "Due to technical issues that cause unexpected crashes and among other reasons, we are pulling Devotion off from steam store to have another complete QA check". It seems to be a everending recurring technical issues. It worked, because many people in defense of Steam claim the game was pulled by the developers.

l8r!
acute71: I'm afraid they are not interested in this (imho valid) point.
I'm interested. I made the same point in at least one earlier topic but of course was drowned out by the popular consensus, most of which has consisted of "my tyrant is more virtuous than yours" signaling. Anyway, it's concerning that people can connect the dots on one, but refuse to do so on the other. That is, people seem capable of recognizing GOG, in theory, can be lying/omitting the real story with that game being removed. Yet, when it comes to the game going off Scheme, people take Scheme/the developer at their word. Why? If you go from the premise that companies can lie, and you suspect company A of lying, why can't companies B and C also be lying?
rgnrk: It seems to be a everending recurring technical issues. It worked, because many people in defense of Steam claim the game was pulled by the developers.
Maybe because it *was* pulled by the developers...?

If you think Gaben of all people demanded they take down the game, you're delusional. They pulled the game themselves for damage control.

As for the game not being back on Steam, I'd assume that this is likely because their Mainland Chinese publisher (RIP) had some sort of exclusive deal for the Steam release. With the publisher having lost its business license, who knows what kind of a legal mess the Steam release is caught up in.
Post edited February 10, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
Time4Tea: So, according to the recent posts in this thread, it seems the DRM in No Man's Sky has now been removed in the latest patch by Hello Games. This is great news and addresses one of the points mentioned in issue #2. My thanks and respect go to Hello Games for listening to their users.
That is really great news!

Time4Tea: However, I am not convinced that GOG had much to do with it, given their reticent lack of communication regarding the topic. So, I am not going to let them off the hook at this point. I would like to see some other games on this list addressed, if I am going to be convinced that GOG intends to properly enforce their DRM-free policy.
I am not sure GOG can do much about it, its always the publisher choice. All GOG could do is remove it from the store.

Time4Tea: Also, Devotion still hasn't been released and GOG hasn't responded to the almost 9000 users who have signed the wishlist request. For me personally, this is a deal breaker. Devotion needs to be released, before I would consider ending my boycott.

Still, this is a step in the right direction (along with the recent addressing of the DRM in Wasteland 3). These are encouraging signs and hopefully we will see GOG doing more to put pressure on their partners to keep DRM off of GOG.
It is still a shame that Devotion is not released here. But since Steam pulled the same move (for officially diffrent reasons) I fear this game won't come back anytime soon, and if it does only in a censored version (but I dont see the devs doing that).
low rated
Time4Tea: So, according to the recent posts in this thread, it seems the DRM in No Man's Sky has now been removed in the latest patch by Hello Games. This is great news and addresses one of the points mentioned in issue #2. My thanks and respect go to Hello Games for listening to their users.
The_Puppet94: That is really great news!

Time4Tea: However, I am not convinced that GOG had much to do with it, given their reticent lack of communication regarding the topic. So, I am not going to let them off the hook at this point. I would like to see some other games on this list addressed, if I am going to be convinced that GOG intends to properly enforce their DRM-free policy.
The_Puppet94: I am not sure GOG can do much about it, its always the publisher choice. All GOG could do is remove it from the store.

Time4Tea: Also, Devotion still hasn't been released and GOG hasn't responded to the almost 9000 users who have signed the wishlist request. For me personally, this is a deal breaker. Devotion needs to be released, before I would consider ending my boycott.

Still, this is a step in the right direction (along with the recent addressing of the DRM in Wasteland 3). These are encouraging signs and hopefully we will see GOG doing more to put pressure on their partners to keep DRM off of GOG.
The_Puppet94: It is still a shame that Devotion is not released here. But since Steam pulled the same move (for officially diffrent reasons) I fear this game won't come back anytime soon, and if it does only in a censored version (but I dont see the devs doing that).
By "censored", do you mean replace that one stupid texture that was a placeholder anyway?
low rated
StrongSoldier: No, gog does not have drm in almost all of its catalog. In no mans sky they have already corrected it.

And the objectionable is gwent.

I have been able to play my entire catalog offline and without gog galaxy.

It is the only store that has promoted no drm. Now you are going to load it.

Thank you.
Truth007: I never said most, I said they have games with drm which is a fact. no mans sky isn't the only game, several titles require galaxy/3rd party account if I want to play multiplayer. You probably don't have a game that requires galaxy to play online, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist however. Like I said it isn't the only store that has promoted no drm, they themselves endorse drm by having it on some games and also epic games sold on galaxy which is a product from gog.
But what do you say ... To play online you need an internet connection = drm

And to play online you need a platform where you can find players in most cases.

But everything offline does not have drm except gwent (here I am very critical, I find it unfortunate).

In the end, everyone will end up buying on steam, with drm, with rentals.

Thank you very much.
high rated
I thought I'd keep a record of games I would definitely have bought, were it not for the boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $10
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $15
(3) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 3 Deluxe - $2.5
(4) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 4 + DLC - $3.5
(5) 10/2/21: Drakensang - $3
(6) 10/2/21: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
(7) 10/2/21: XCOM 2 - $4.5

Total so far: $40 (rounded down)
Post edited February 10, 2021 by mrkgnao
The_Puppet94: That is really great news!

I am not sure GOG can do much about it, its always the publisher choice. All GOG could do is remove it from the store.

It is still a shame that Devotion is not released here. But since Steam pulled the same move (for officially diffrent reasons) I fear this game won't come back anytime soon, and if it does only in a censored version (but I dont see the devs doing that).
WeirdoGeek: By "censored", do you mean replace that one stupid texture that was a placeholder anyway?
Yeah exactly :D I don't care for the texture and I don't care for the political outcry it got in china. But as far as I understand this stupid texture is the reason you can not buy the game anywhere at this point of time.
mrkgnao: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
Huh, same as Hexen: interesting release, very tempting price point. Too bad they haven't released Devotion yet.

What a shame...
high rated
The_Puppet94: Yeah exactly :D I don't care for the texture and I don't care for the political outcry it got in china. But as far as I understand this stupid texture is the reason you can not buy the game anywhere at this point of time.
But not because the devs didn't want to remove it, only because they ever dared to include it. It's already been removed ages ago. So the version that was to be released on GOG would have been "censored" (which is a silly word in this context, but whatever). And yet it wasn't enough.
Post edited February 10, 2021 by Leroux
high rated
Well, normally I would have bought Commander Keen on release - and, at the current price, several copies of The Witcher 3, for later giveaways. But alas, those times are over as long as DRM persists on GOG.
The_Puppet94: Yeah exactly :D I don't care for the texture and I don't care for the political outcry it got in china. But as far as I understand this stupid texture is the reason you can not buy the game anywhere at this point of time.
Leroux: But not because the devs didn't want to remove it, only because they ever dared to include it. It's already been removed ages ago. So the version that was to be released on GOG would have been "censored" (which is a silly word in this context, but whatever). And yet it wasn't enough.
Maybe censored isn't the right word in that case than but still you got my point. I did not know it has been removed and still got the outrage (which makes the outrage even more ridiculous).
Leroux: But not because the devs didn't want to remove it, only because they ever dared to include it. It's already been removed ages ago. So the version that was to be released on GOG would have been "censored" (which is a silly word in this context, but whatever). And yet it wasn't enough.
no, as this is all about saving face. the insult had alreasy been done, and removing the insulting image do not change this. The abolut minimum would be for the developer to publicly appologise for the insult (which they in truth kind of did, but needed more groveling and appologies). Indievent (the original publisher) even lost their buisness license for this, which basically means that PRC shut them down.

And off course it does not help that they developers are Taiwaneese, and the friction already existing between Taiwan and China, and with the vice prime minister of Taiwan spoke up in its defense, it means that it is now not only personal insult issue, but it has become a very political one as well.
Post edited February 10, 2021 by amok
Commander Keen * was definitely going to be in my cart right now. Too bad Gog is still burying their heads in the sand.

Edit: *(and probably a lot more titles)
mrkgnao: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
fronzelneekburm: Huh, same as Hexen: interesting release, very tempting price point. Too bad they haven't released Devotion yet.

What a shame...
Well you should look at this boycott for its bright side: Now that I'm not buying, I'm not annoyed that we who bought The Witcher 3 before the GOTY edition once again got lower discounts for the Season Pass.
Post edited February 10, 2021 by joppo