It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skeletonbow: You missed the "most of my life" part.
tinyE: I thought you were born in 2000. :D
You're confusing me with zeo I think. :) I'm not ancient, but I'm old enough to be his dad. hehehe

Disclaimer: I've never travelled to California. :)
This was a lovely reading. Thanks everyone for sharing and GOG for making this happen. And GOG, next time you do this, please announce the selected people with at least one month beforehand. IMHO, you should invite again the people who couldn't make it this time.
Post edited October 10, 2017 by ariaspi
JMich: 9) Product acquisition: The wishlist does help. Enthusiasm in forum threads also helps to get the ball rolling. Doing the legwork of finding who owns the rights can take a lot of time and that is something the community can help with (see the old https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_search_for_game_rights_a_diaryesque_thread/ thread), but just make sure that any data you send to GOG is correct and let them take care of the rest.
10) Old games: GOG are still very much actively trying to get more classic games onto the platform. They are working to make deals both for new partners, and for games in the back catalog of existing partners that have not yet been released on GOG. It is quite difficult work though. All the low-hanging, mid-hanging and even quite-high-hanging fruit has already been picked, so it takes quite a lot of resources, but they are still committed to it. They also occasionally go back to games they failed to get earlier and try again, if they think there is a chance they might succeed this time.
Regarding points 9 and 10, I would like to know if GOG is making any progress with major Japanese publishers. I'm aware you signed a NDA, so I'm not askig you for specific companies or games. A yes/no response would be appreciated. Thanks.

(I'm asking for "old Japanese games", so Dragon's Dogma or Eidos games does not count)
Post edited October 10, 2017 by Gearmos
Thank you for your effort to write and this. Very informative.
Happy for those members that got the chance - lucky them !
Gearmos: Regarding points 9 and 10, I would like to know if GOG is making any progress with major Japanese publishers. I'm aware you signed a NDA, so I'm not askig you for specific companies or games. A yes/no response would be appreciated. Thanks.

(I'm asking for "old Japanese games", so Dragon's Dogma or Eidos games does not count)
I don't recall Japanese publishers (or older Japanese games) being specifically mentioned - perhaps one of the others can shed more light on this. That being said, I think GOG is trying to get any and all games/publishers on board that they possibly can, so I'd not be surprised at all if it's something they're working on.
high rated
JMich: Other than myself there was one Swiss, one Scandinavian, one Canadian and two Germans.
please tell me you all walked into a bar?
immi101: i am not even opposed to regional pricing in principle, but the way it is implemented is just way too often totally illogical and destroys any arguments you could bring up in favor of regional pricing.
MarkoH01: Like PaterAlf already said: let's give the poor people a discount but I really don't see any reason why others should pay for them. My gripe with RP is that it is just unfair. Yes, different countries have different incomes and that's why the exchange course has been invented.
not sure why you would think that you pay for other peoples discount ?
And currency exchange rates don't make up for the different income levels.

But let's not dwell too much on the old discussion "pro/contra regional pricing". As people said before, we are most likely past the point where that discussion will bring any change.
regional pricing is here to stay.

But it would be very nice if the pricing schemes would at least follow some sort of logic.
More often than not the price does not correlate with the countries economy, not does it correlate with the countries tax rate.
Both of which are the points which publishers usually bring up when trying to justify their pricing.

In fact the only logic that you can see in all pricing schemes is: "euro price" == "dollar price".
But hey, who needs elaborate discussions about what constitutes a fair price for digital products in a globalized world, when you can just follow that simply rule as if it where a religious mantra.
at least the numbers look nice, right?
Post edited October 10, 2017 by immi101
JMich: Other than myself there was one Swiss, one Scandinavian, one Canadian and two Germans.
ussnorway: please tell me you all walked into a bar?
heh, yeah, we did...
ussnorway: please tell me you all walked into a bar?
GR00T: heh, yeah, we did...
That must have hurt.
GR00T: heh, yeah, we did...
adaliabooks: That must have hurt.
Nah, I wasn't in the front of the line, so we all ran into JMich. :P
adaliabooks: That must have hurt.
GR00T: Nah, I wasn't in the front of the line, so we all ran into JMich. :P
Now I'm imagining you conga'd into the bar... :D
GR00T: Nah, I wasn't in the front of the line, so we all ran into JMich. :P
adaliabooks: Now I'm imagining you conga'd into the bar... :D
And we looked fabulous!
JMich: First one. Neither the installers nor the games will require network or client connection for single player. They may use either of those for various features if available, but they won't require them. [...]
HypersomniacLive: Hmm... did the two of you attend the same Q&A? ;-P

I'll file this under "no clear answer".

Was any clarification given as to if the standalone installers will remain available for download without the use of the client?

Gersen: [...] Mostly the site itself I think, they are looking to replace the forum so I doubt they will do any significant changes on the existing one, maybe a couple of minor bug fixes and tweaks but nothing major.[...]
HypersomniacLive: That's not why I asked; they broke basic HTML functionality with their security fix, and given that nobody from GOG acknowledges it in the "What did just break" thread, I wanted to know if we're stuck with this broken mess until the forum software gets replaced or not.

JMich: [...] Bit of both. 4 of the people we know have already said they got an invite in this thread, 1 other is no longer posting in the forum from what I recall, and there's at least one more that hasn't said anything. Shame we couldn't meet them, but it was a short notice after all.
No, I'm not naming names. [...]
HypersomniacLive: I don't want names, quite the contrary; I'm mostly interested in if GOG shared names with the six of you, as at the time you made your post, nobody had come forward yet.

Anyway, thanks for the thread, though I don't feel that we got any new information besides them adding an option to permanently switch to the Galaxy-free installers in our account.
But at least you all seem to have had a good time, and that's equally important, so thanks for those tidbits and photos.
The standard installers, AFAIK, will stay.
As for the invitees, we did mention some of the other people we invited when we were asked this question, yes.
drmike: I've only paid half attention to this thread so please excuse me if this has been covered.

Is this planned to be a regular thing? I've mentioned previously that EvE does this with their player council. A couple of the companies I work with also do this with our soccer moms.

Not trying to get a leg up or anything as I currently can't leave the US. Just curious.
Guess we'll see about this one. From our point of view, this was a very interesting venture and given the feedback so far, it seems to have been a good success too. So perhaps we will entertain the option of doing it again in the future.
Post edited October 10, 2017 by fables22
high rated
fables22: Guess we'll see about this one. From our point of view, this was a very interesting venture and given the feedback so far, it seems to have been a good success too. So perhaps we will entertain the option of doing it again in the future.
If I changed my forum name, would you invite me again? :P
fables22: Guess we'll see about this one. From our point of view, this was a very interesting venture and given the feedback so far, it seems to have been a good success too. So perhaps we will entertain the option of doing it again in the future.
GR00T: If I changed my forum name, would you invite me again? :P
3A3YGR00T?