It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Not in & +1! thank you! :D
300!

toxicTom, congrats for reaching the above and the opportunity to win Bad Mojo Redux. I'd love to please be in for that special treat :) Thanks a bunch; I added another +1 to your rep heap. Applause for using physical Ds for the giveaway resolution!

There would be many titles that really impressed me and shaped my particular preferences within genres. For this, I'll pick Soul Calibur (Dreamcast). I'm not at all into fighting games usually, but SC is the exception for me. Released in 1999, it was way ahead of its time with incredible, fluid 3D gameplay and stellar graphics. The soundtrack is sweet too.

This actually feels like weapons-fighting, we spent so many sessions trying to best each other. Sports deep-enough fighting mechanics while being accessible to gamers outside the Beat 'em up experts pool. It's on XBLA, if you wanna give it a go. Gets my highest recommendation, because, well: The Legend Will Never Die!

I always liked to pick Cervantes, loved his moves, the dual-sword play.

Sophitia vs. Cervantes
toxicTom: Thanks for the reminders. I was afraid the Zeppelin screenshot would show my "place of shame" - the labyrinth where you have to avoid the guards ;-)

I sure hope Indy 3 comes to GOG some day. That one would be instabought. They sure keep us in limbo regarding the next releases of the Disney/LA deal.
I took those screens too, but I spared you the bad memories :P

GOG is indeed delaying the next LA releases a bit too much.
I wonder if they will even finish all of them before 2016..
Post edited January 11, 2015 by phaolo
phaolo: I took those screens too, but I spared you the horror XD

GOG is indeed delaying the next LA releases a bit too much.
I wonder if they will even finish all of them before 2016..
LOL, thanks!

My fear is that they will only release the next bunch of games when every single customer has bought all of the first batch...
300!

I'll be in for the first one.

And for my game is Heroes of Might and Magic III. The first time I played the game I loved it. I played hot-seat in a friend's house with him and my brother. We only play a single scenario but the game fascinated us (both my brother and me). Later I lost contact with my friend but my brother and I always remember that game being awesome. But we couldn't remember it's name! Some years later I was at my girlfriend's house (now ex) and I saw that game on her screen. It wasn't the same I played (it was actually H4) but I knew it was the same franchise. I was so terribly happy. Now I'm a very big fan of the series and my brother as well.
300! In for the first prize.

There are a lot of games that have made an impact on me, but if I had to choose one game, it would be Thief: The Dark Project. No other game has sold the fantasy of being a thief as well as this series has. It has a sound environment that remains unsurpassed and makes you incredibly aware of every step you make. It has you perking your ears to listen for guards and holding your breath while a lowly servant passes by. It sells you the fear of entering forbidden places and the thrill of getting away with it, punctuated by a satisfying *ka-ching* as you swipe a purse from a noble's belt of grab a shiny valuable from just under a guard's nose.

Add to that a vibrant steampunk fantasy world filled well written NPCs, a nicely presented story with film noir sensibilities, a cynical self-serving protagonist that doesn't get cliche or annoying, open sprawling levels, and emergent gameplay that comes from systemic non-scripted game design.

Thief has ruined a lot of games for me, basically. As a result, I expect to hear NPCs before they enter the room, I expect to be able to pick things up from a table, I expect well written NPCs even if they're just in the background, I expect open sprawling levels with multiple ways to approach them, I expect freedom of movement and consistent physics governing it, I expect exploration to be encouraged and rewarded, I expect to remain in control at all times without being taken through segments in another gameplay perspective and/or scripted sequences.

Here's the very first sight in the game: http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/node-gallery-display/contrib/dr/201/ingame_4x3.png
Post edited January 11, 2015 by Mrstarker
300!

I'm in for the GOG game(s) of my choice, thanks toxicTom for the fun giveaway!

The game I chose to which impressed me a lot is "Grand Theft Auto III". I remember I got this game when it first came out for the PS2, it totally blew me away with the graphics of the completely 3D world, and the freedom of being able to do whatever you wanted in that world.
Attachments:
gta31.jpg (50 Kb)
gta32.jpg (25 Kb)
300!

Congrats on 300. Seems some people take weeks to hit 300, and others over a year.

Too many games left impact on me, I'll narrow it down to co-op+multiplayer, and solo games.
I'll choose to post video links instead of images if that is ok.

I'll never forget daily multiplayer Quake lan parties in my schools mac computer lab. We were creating mods as friends (even used one as a class project). (having one mouse button could never get used to)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwafPsEK2c <-- some q1 team fortress video (not me of course, as I don't have anything from my time with it)

Nearly daily multiplayer nintendo 64 games. (mainly Goldeneye)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDRtyq3Yhg <-- again, don't have images from my personal time
Who could forget 'License to Kill' setting with pistols? or putting proximity mines on ammo crates then shooting the crates away making the mines invisable.
Ah memories.

Before those I was a solo console gamer focusing on rpgs, like FF5/6/7/tactics, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, and Zeldas.
I really had a thing for early console rpgs. Each of my listed FF games were huge for me.

For how much I loved co-op and multiplayer, I can't seem to feel well enough to play co-op/multiplayer pc games now.
(besides the point if I do start a co/multi game, the other people usually move on to other games before we finish, example: I can not for the life of me find someone wanting to play Borderlands 1 or BL2 with complete playthroughs)
Attachments:
ff7.jpg (23 Kb)
gbaz69: [...] Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen [...]
Oh my dear Lord, those sprites look delicious!
gbaz69: [...] Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen [...]
chevkoch: Oh my dear Lord, those sprites look delicious!
One of the most under played games ever. MotBQ is the best Ogre Battle game hands down.

Huge maps to move your troops across. (the n64 ogre battle sucks, the maps are like 1/20 the size, which has ZERO strategy for completing, aka only 1 or 2 routes to boss, compared to MotBQ's maps, where you could take long route or quick road to boss)
chevkoch: Oh my dear Lord, those sprites look delicious!
gbaz69: One of the most under played games ever. MotBQ is the best Ogre Battle game hands down.

Huge maps to move your troops across. (the n64 ogre battle sucks, the maps are like 1/20 the size, which has ZERO strategy for completing, aka only 1 or 2 routes to boss, compared to MotBQ's maps, where you could take long route or quick road to boss)
I'll make a note to play this sometime for sure, thanks :)
toxicTom: Yay! Another one from my all time favs list :-)

In terms of bringing me to FPS (my favourite genre for many years) Doom definitely had the larger impact on me. It was the real reason I bought a PC (officially I need it for my studies since my Amiga wasn't compatible to the PC based university IT environment, which wasn't a lie either, but I went for the most powerful rig (486DX4/100, 8MB RAM) I could afford at that time just play Doom perfectly). At first I struggled with the controls until I switched to mouse aiming (everyone else was playing with keyboard only). Suddenly the game made total sense. I really played the hell out of Doom 1+2, beating them countless times.

Quake was everything I had hoped for when it came out. I still find it fascinating how well everything works together. The art style is perfect for the low-poly environment. Massive structures, menacing and crude monsters that look simply brutal with their jagged heads and spikey claws.
Also Quake was the one and only game that I played "seriously" online.
Yeah, Doom was a lot of fun for me too. It was a big game back then. But I think the reason why I think of Quake more is because it was a more "serious" game. Plus it was cool that it had CD Audio with it, but I often lost the disc! X( Luckily it didn't need the disc just to play the normal Quake game. I still hope GOG can get a deal with id Software/Bethesda sometime in the future to get all the Doom and Quake games!
gbaz69: 300!

Congrats on 300. Seems some people take weeks to hit 300, and others over a year.

Too many games left impact on me, I'll narrow it down to co-op+multiplayer, and solo games.
I'll choose to post video links instead of images if that is ok.

I'll never forget daily multiplayer Quake lan parties in my schools mac computer lab. We were creating mods as friends (even used one as a class project). (having one mouse button could never get used to)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwafPsEK2c <-- some q1 team fortress video (not me of course, as I don't have anything from my time with it)

Nearly daily multiplayer nintendo 64 games. (mainly Goldeneye)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDRtyq3Yhg <-- again, don't have images from my personal time
Who could forget 'License to Kill' setting with pistols? or putting proximity mines on ammo crates then shooting the crates away making the mines invisable.
Ah memories.

Before those I was a solo console gamer focusing on rpgs, like FF5/6/7/tactics, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, and Zeldas.
I really had a thing for early console rpgs. Each of my listed FF games were huge for me.

For how much I loved co-op and multiplayer, I can't seem to feel well enough to play co-op/multiplayer pc games now.
(besides the point if I do start a co/multi game, the other people usually move on to other games before we finish, example: I can not for the life of me find someone wanting to play Borderlands 1 or BL2 with complete playthroughs)
BL2 is awesome! Have played it through twice :)
Been awhile since I've played though LOL
306! (Okay, "300!". :P) Congrats anyway. ;)

It's Gothic for me. As I already said once, I've finished it (G1+G2+mods) at least 80 times. G2 was my first "serious" game (= with a story) and it made the RPGs my favourite genre. Why? I don't even know. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the story, the... everything.

[url=http://jpeg.cz/images/2015/01/11/19Gdb.jpg]are [url=http://jpeg.cz/images/2015/01/11/xEnpm.jpg]screenshots (G2/A, courtesy of various websites). Though, it is completely impossible to describe Gothic via pictures. You have to play it in order to understand it.

---

As for the prizes - I don't own Bad Mojo Redux, but since adventures aren't my favorite genre, I'm in only for the first one.
toxicTom: Interesting choice. GPL always was too hardcore for me. When it comes to racing games there are two games that definitely shaped my taste: Test Drive 2 - The Duel and The Need for Speed. Until this day I prefer the "illegal race" type games with super sports cars and police pursuit. A shame I can't get Test Drive Unlimited to run properly on my machine.
I can speak only for Need for Speed as I haven't tried Test Drive; while i'm not a big fan of the more arcadey racing games, i did played some games of the series back then. I remember playing Hot Pursuit with a friend on split screen (If my memory serves me right!) and it was fun being a cop or being chased from a cop (don't try this outside the computer screen haha!). And while the actual driving wasn't anything to write home about, there was some good action with all the chases. :-)

My favourite NFS game was the Underground, not because of the physics (I prefer more complex physics) but because of the various minigames (I mean the drag racing, the drift races..). And the first time i saw it i was astounded by the graphics, mainly the reflections of the wet road... I also enjoyed tuning the cars and modding them but after a while I got bored with it because I wanted to do some serious racing.. By "after a while" I mean a month or two.. :P Of course I returned to GPL again! :-)