It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
I just noticed my rep has crept up to 300. Since I only became active in the community about a year ago and I'm a rather infrequent poster I guess that's a reason to celebrate.

So I want to make a small giveaway. There are two prizes to be had:

1. The main winner will have a game or movie of their choice that falls under the category "under $20" (under "€15") on the GOG main page. Or two games that fall under the "under $10" (under €7) category. You don't have to name the game right now - just tell me what you would like to have when you've won.
2. A GOG copy of Bad Mojo Redux. Now this is a special one, not only can you win a truly unique game, it's also partially a gift of the valued community member Soccorro. It originally was a gift from me to him, but due to circumstances he didn't need it and - he gave me free reign to give it away.

The Rules

1. No rep or join date requirements, but I will have a look at the "known scammers" thread if something seems fishy - but I don't think that will be necessary.
2. If you're in, state "300!" and (now for the hard MAHAYO part): post a game that impressed/influenced/left a remarkable imprint on your life as a gamer AND post a representavive screenshot (selfmade or for the web) from that game. A short explanation why that specific game has influenced you would also be nice.
3. The giveaway will run until about next sunday (Jan 18th) in the afternoon. I will post a short notice when I'm about to draw the winners.
4. Please state what prizes you are in for - I will assume the first if you don't (since it's free choice). Your can be in for both, drawings will be made seperately.
6. Winners will be drawn by ma trusty D6/10/20/100 (depending on the number if participants).

*CLOSED*
Post edited January 18, 2015 by toxicTom
300!

Attached is a screenshot of Uzbek Gro'Rebel

Or, I guess, there it is, not actually attached.

Anyway, modding Oblivion, which I have been doing since 2009, has been formative for me. It has sharpened and revealed my own preferences in games. By acquiring the ability to tinker with aspects of the game I have an opinion about I began to articulate and test my opinions.

The screenshot shows off the work of Nuska and her Oblivion Character Overhaul - the best change that's ever happened to the player and the npcs of Oblivion.

I'm in, please, for the first prize!

Cheers!
Post edited January 11, 2015 by misteryo
300!

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, my first adventure, 20 years ago set my standards for puzzle, gameplay, graphic and plot quality! :D
The best screenshots are quite a spoiler, so I'll just add a pair not too far into the game.

In for n1, thanks!
Attachments:
Post edited January 11, 2015 by phaolo
Not In

Thanks for being an awesome member of this community Tom!!

For me it was civilization 1. Me and 3 of my friends spent hours every day playing it. For some reason the palace always sticks out to me when I think about the game.

Palace 1 palace 2 palace 3
Congratulations on the reputation milestone!

300! I'll be in for #1.

The (computer) game that left the biggest impression on me was the first Gabriel Knight. It had gorgeous settings, interesting characters, great voice acting, and a compelling storyline. It definitely set the bar for me for adventure games, and pretty much cemented that genre as my favorite. (FWIW, I did enjoy the 20th anniversary remake, but the original is still near to my heart.) Also, I still get a little chill every time I read the poem that opens each day in the game.

St. George's Books and the Voodoo Museum, two important and memorable settings in the game.

For a console game, I'd have to say that it's a tie between Final Fantasy IV and FF VI.

IV was the first RPG I ever finished, and it's still my favorite FF game to this day. It also stands as the first game that made me cry - more than once. As all of those moments are considered spoilers (even now, yes), I'll just give you a shot of one of the most infamous lines in the game and one that still makes me laugh: Tellah's insult. (At least as good as "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" for both humor and infamy.)

VI is absolutely the best one they've done, and the storyline still sucks me in, no matter how many times I've played it on who knows how many platforms/ports. One of my all-time favorite moments is the opera, because it's an amazing sequence: [url=http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-Advance-(by-vilkacis)/Update%2017/82-ffvi17_238.png]On the balcony[/url].

Thanks very much for the generous giveaway and the fun conversational topic. :)
Post edited January 11, 2015 by penumbren
300!

The game that left it's mark on me it is definitely "Grand Prix Legends"!

I could write books about that game but i'll just say that this game was the king of all racing simulations in it's time and still one of the best sims today. I race with it nearly since it's release (that is 15+ years) and the game hasn't aged not a single day for me! In the recent sims we have fancy graphics, sophisticated physics etc. but i think it all started back then with the release of GPL.

In the year 2015, GPL has some major graphics mods (you can see in the screenshots i post that it can't be a 1998 game with these quality graphics), has over 500 tracks that have been made from scratch & later converted to other sims as well (included are some legendary tracks Isle of Man, Nurburgring & Targa Florio), car mods enabling you to race different cars than the usual '67 F1s, like '65, '66, '69 F1s and more. The physics are top-knotch still for todays standards and it remains one of the most difficult sims of all time.

As wikipedia says: "The essence of GPL is the talent required to drive these classic cars around the challenging circuits of the 1967 era. As in learning to play a fine musical instrument, the player must have the patience and the light, smooth touch to get the most from these machines." That's the case! :-)

If i was to choose one game to play for my whole life, that would be GPL. I can't be bored with it. It's impossible!

I'm breaking the rule of the one screenshot (hope you don't mind!) and instead post four:

Thanks for the giveaway, i would like to be for the 1st prize! Cheers!
Attachments:
gpl_(1).jpg (441 Kb)
gpl_(2).jpg (244 Kb)
gpl_(3).jpg (358 Kb)
gpl_(4).jpg (427 Kb)
300!

I'm in for #1 prize, please

One game that left me a remarkable imprint on my life as a gamer was Shenmue on the Sega Dreamcast.

It has an incredible inmersive world and lovely characters, and it was hard to believe the game were running on that console with that specs.

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5

Thank you for the GA :) +1
Post edited January 15, 2015 by gogamess
EDIT: NOT IN

The game that made the most impact on me was Nethack, It changed and gave new meaning to cRPG's for me.
It being a roguelike the random levels made me feel like I was playing Diablo 2 all over again with playing the same level over and over again for better loot but with a goal in mind this time(ascension kit), the difficulty of was like playing an old rpg with an epic dead rate which made me persist more and more just to get deeper into the dungeons of doom, the graphics were perfect for me as it stated the most basic but informative characters with there own shades of color for species of monsters, it was open source and I actually learn stuff while compiling and patching in mods for it.

I can only say I was very impacted by Nethack, so much so my avatar on GOG(I hope that counts as a screenshot) was custom made by me in the font I played the most with (the liberation font); well outside of basic TTY mode VGA fonts on some machines that is, Because it can be any class of any species, or anything that can be imagined of the mind to take you on adventures you will remember for a lifetime and along with many stories to tell!

Thanks for the giveaway! +1
Post edited January 15, 2015 by comradegarry
300!
(303 at the moment, actually)

Congratulations on reaching this number and I hope you get 300 more!

Tomb Raider (1996) because, I loved the freedom of movement TR allowed, the places they created, it's a game I can still enjoy today. Also, it was the game that brought me here.

Lara hanging there

I'd like to be in for half the first prize if I may, that is, one game in the $10 category or less.

Thank you very much for the giiveaway!
:-)
Post edited January 11, 2015 by madth3
Congrats and +1.

300! The game that probably left the greatest impression on my was The Count. The simple reason for that is that it was the first adventure game I ever played.

I'm only in for price 1 since I already have Bad Mojo.
Attachments:
300!!! and congratulations~!

I'm in for the 1st prize, I already have Bad Mojo Redux (haven't yet played, I wanted it so badly when Bad Mojo came out back in the day, but only just picked it up when the released it here and haven't gotten to it yet.)

[url=http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles?file=Pillar_of_Skulls.JPG]http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles?file=Pillar_of_Skulls.JPG[/url]

Torment not only influenced my life as a gamer (making me realize that a high standard of writing in games could be held to that of novels and more), but my life as a whole. I entered into a world of philosophy and writing, and have always felt a deep connection to the game.
300! and congrats!

This is Sparta! :)

I'm in for option #1!

I would have to say that the original Quake was a game that really influenced me. It was a popular FPS game made by id Software and graphically it was a vast improvement over id's original Doom! It was one of the first truly 3D games I played on PC. Ever since Quake, I've played a ton of FPS games and it's still one of my favorite genres!

Here is a screenshot of Quake 1!

Thanks for the giveaway, and good luck, everyone!
Post edited January 11, 2015 by IronArcturus
"300!"

I'm in for prize #1. A game that has influenced my life as a gamer is Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (screenshot: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198224-oddworld-abes-oddysee/images/screen-25) because it showed me that video game heroes (and heroes in general) don't have to be super-tough bad-asses. They can be physically weak and vulnerable, and still save the day!
300!

I'm in for option 1 please.

The game that influenced me a lot was Gods. It was the first game I got on my own (my family's) PC and is probably one of the main reasons I still love side-scrolling platformers.

When I played it there were no internet or guides or anything. So we (I and my brother) would have to find all those secrets by ourselves. It had some hidden switches and puzzles that were hard to find/solve.

And it had no saves. So those lives you had counted, and it was important to get all those poitns for extra lives. You could use passwords to start from episode 2, 3, or 4 (there were 4 in total) but this meant you'd lose all those points and lives from previous episodes.

I find it har to play these type nowdays. I save a lot and if stuck I consult the internet. Though lately I'm trying to change this habit...

Screenshots courtesy of mobygames
Attachments:
gods1.gif (19 Kb)
gods2.gif (18 Kb)
gods3.gif (21 Kb)
Post edited January 11, 2015 by ZFR
300! I am in for the first prize only.
Total Annihilation is the game that gave me my love of RTS games, not only is it great in its own right but without it I would probably have ignored some of my favourite games.
Attachments: