It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FrozenDoom: Hi wesp5, the patch from The Patches Scrolls contained a virus, I cannot install the file.
What Antivirus program are you using? This is pretty much sure a false positive...
Kaspersky. The file in question was "Not-a virus-Risk.something"
FrozenDoom: Kaspersky. The file in question was "Not-a virus-Risk.something"
Then allow an exception. I use The Patches Scrolls for ten years now...
Avast also blocks the download.
Wouldn't it be more practical for everyone if the patch was hosted on a more reliable / legit modding site like Nexus for example.
They have at least automatic virus scanning / safe or not safe flagging for uploaded files.
RevengeofthePlaya: Avast also blocks the download.
Wouldn't it be more practical for everyone if the patch was hosted on a more reliable / legit modding site like Nexus for example.
They have at least automatic virus scanning / safe or not safe flagging for uploaded files.
Agree 100%, I really don't want to run the risk of getting infected. Nexusmods really should get involved.
RevengeofthePlaya: Wouldn't it be more practical for everyone if the patch was hosted on a more reliable / legit modding site like Nexus for example.
Try looking up "false positive". The issue is not with The Patches Scrolls.
RevengeofthePlaya: Wouldn't it be more practical for everyone if the patch was hosted on a more reliable / legit modding site like Nexus for example.
Gydion: Try looking up "false positive". The issue is not with The Patches Scrolls.
^^ This.

Some anti-virus programs have heuristics that get triggered by some things, such as the above. Most should have an option to send info about the relevant program to their main database server (sometimes you'll have to explicitly state it has no virus - then they'll check it themselves to make sure), so future users trying to download the same file don't get the issue.
I'm familiar with false positives, Avast is quite trigger happy with them sometimes.
It also triggered Kaspersky for other people so it's not just Avast problem.

The good thing about Nexusmods is that they use Virustotal to scan all the uploaded mods.
You can see the scan report before you download the file, if the file is marked as malware by couple of low quality av softwares it's probably a false positive. If it's marked as malware by several known av softwares there's probably something shady going on with the file.
RevengeofthePlaya: The good thing about Nexusmods is that they use Virustotal to scan all the uploaded mods.
How do they do that? The public virustotal site refuses to scan files > 128 MB like the patch.
RevengeofthePlaya: The good thing about Nexusmods is that they use Virustotal to scan all the uploaded mods.
wesp5: How do they do that? The public virustotal site refuses to scan files > 128 MB like the patch.
Via their own servers, or via a payed subscription, if that is indeed what they use - I've used Nexus for years and don't know what they use for virus scanning on their site. I don't think they scan all files uploaded files either - I've certainly downloaded plenty that were marked as unscanned (come to think of it, most files I download - usually these are larger files).

Which is irrelevant, since this wouldn't actually stop the virus scanner that people have on their PC from getting false positives.
Post edited June 08, 2018 by squid830
wesp5: How do they do that? The public virustotal site refuses to scan files > 128 MB like the patch.
They have some kind of contract with Virustotal as far as i know. The max scannable size is somewhere between 200-300MB i believe.

Please don't take my conserns the wrong way Wesp5. I love the work you have done with this game, i'm just very very careful about my pc security these days :)
Post edited June 08, 2018 by RevengeofthePlaya
I have uploaded and tested parts of the patch to Virus Total and I guess the main problem of the "Not-a virus-Risk.something" message is a small tool that the SDK programmer used to hide batch file windows so it looks cleaner. This can theoretically be used by malware to hide stuff, so some antivirus tools flag it...
wesp5: I have uploaded and tested parts of the patch to Virus Total and I guess the main problem of the "Not-a virus-Risk.something" message is a small tool that the SDK programmer used to hide batch file windows so it looks cleaner. This can theoretically be used by malware to hide stuff, so some antivirus tools flag it...
Wasn't that already in previous releases? Because AFAIK previous releases didn't give me a virus false positive, so it's probably not that simple if that's the case...
squid830: Wasn't that already in previous releases?
Yes, but I think the SDK has changed between 9.9 and 10.0 while I don't think any other executables were modified.
squid830: Wasn't that already in previous releases?
wesp5: Yes, but I think the SDK has changed between 9.9 and 10.0 while I don't think any other executables were modified.
Fair enough, that could explain it. Though the whole thing is a packaged exe so any change could in theory have changed the content enough to trigger certain AV heuristics.