It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FekLeyrTarg: Don't forget to sign up via the application form Azrapse linked on the first post.
Looking forward to working with you, people. :)
Of course, only the test didn't cover a few sfumatures so I had to approximate a few answers.
FekLeyrTarg: Don't forget to sign up via the application form Azrapse linked on the first post.
Looking forward to working with you, people. :)
Det_Bullock: Of course, only the test didn't cover a few sfumatures so I had to approximate a few answers.
What are sfumatures?

I had to sign up twice (sorry for the noise, azrapse...) because I didn't fill in my unusual-ish hardware the first time. Doh.
Post edited June 02, 2017 by JKing
Det_Bullock: Of course, only the test didn't cover a few sfumatures so I had to approximate a few answers.
JKing: What are sfumatures?

I had to sign up twice (sorry for the noise, azrapse...) because I didn't fill in my unusual-ish hardware the first time. Doh.
Sorry, I meant "nuances", sometimes I forget that not all terms originated from art jargon are international.
Azrapse: For now, we are focusing only on Windows.
Noooooooooo!

I totally understand limiting initial release but please don't forget about Linux (and yes Macs 9◡9 ). I worry if testing on other platforms is not done early you will run into the usual difficulties that happen when things are not developed cross-platform from the get go. I know Unity is cross-platform but many developers have had issue with their games when compiling for Linux when not done early and frequently (though Unity has massively improved on this in recent months). Will the source code be available to build?

Plus Linux users make the best testers because we're so techy ;)

Oh and yes definitely want the original FMVs. That's part of the nostalgia! Great to hear they will be there.

I'm intending to see how well I can play these games with a Steam controller. I fired up XvT (via Wine) the other day and was able to get it working decently with gyro. It needs tweaks but I think it could work great for the game. Would there be any chance of getting native support for the controller so it could be fully taken advantage of (e.g gestures on the touch page)?

And add another big thank you for doing this. I have been intending for the last couple of years to finally re-play X-Wing and Tie Fighter and figured someone would have done a modern graphic overhaul. Your timing could not have been better otherwise I would have been in despair.

-- Edited because unicode emoji break GOG
Post edited June 03, 2017 by magicmyth
Hello there, not sure if I will be picked or not, but will all the new modeled ships be implemented into the game? I assume they would be but wasn't sure if the ISD or cargo containers were still being worked on or if it they were finished. Just didn't want to mistake them for glitches if they weren't finished. Thanks for reading.
Perhaps I should elaborate further regarding nuances in the survey: there was no option between "I don't mind testing but I want to play the game" and "I'm good at testing", in my case I usually don't like to play unfinished games (I usually prefer to wait) but I really want to help and at the same time I'm new to testing stuff and reporting bugs, in the end I chose the first option because I don't like to tout skills I'm not sure to have.
Post edited June 03, 2017 by Det_Bullock
Det_Bullock: Perhaps I should elaborate further regarding nuances in the survey: there was no option between "I don't mind testing but I want to play the game" and "I'm good at testing", in my case I usually don't like to play unfinished games (I usually prefer to wait) but I really want to help and at the same time I'm new to testing stuff and reporting bugs, in the end I chose the first option because I don't like to tout skills I'm not sure to have.
I know what you mean. My computer is recent, but I wouldn't call it a monster, for instance. I also have zero experience with Unity, but I have some programming experience more generally. Similarly I would class my level of technical skill as significant, but I'm not part of a mod team, and I don't really know X-Wing inside and out (but I do know it pretty well, having played it several times over the last 25 years). Oh, well.
It's not like it was the final exam to pass or fail. :)
They were just some questions to get and idea about the general background of the tester, if total casual player, or a more involved one with specialized hardware, or advanced knowledge, or some other unusual experience like testing, Unity, or modding.
We're just detail-oriented. That's useful in playtesting, right? Right?

*really wants to pass the not-exam*

:)
Azrapse: It's not like it was the final exam to pass or fail. :)
That shows how much desperate the community is to put hands even on alpha build..

I'm also desperate.. ;)

P.S. Azrapse and the rest of your team: your are doing really great job. It's outstanding to witness how much enthusiasm and heart you're putting in effort to keep as much detail as possible.

There is no chance that any commercial company would ever do so if there was a theoretical remake of X-wing or TIE..
Post edited June 04, 2017 by swiezy-chlebek
Any new news, been pretty quiet lately. Just wondering how things r going.
I have just closed the alphatesting application form.
Check your mail to know if you have been selected. The mail will come from xwvm.devteam. Just check your spam folder.
We have a 26 testers, that I think is a good amount to start with.

In the past days we have been working on adding features, fixing bugs and replacing models. The new Y-wing cockpit is fully integrated and the testing will consist on all Y-wing historical missions.
We aren't interested on testing the mission themselves (but feedback on the game balance is welcome) but more like the support of the different hardware, input devices, screen resolutions, performance, integration with your installations of X-wing, and in general, get an idea of what you people feel when playing the mod. If there is something amiss, some showstopper bugs, etc.
Looking forward to giving it a spin! It will be nice to (hopefully) be able to use all the buttons on my joystick without fighting with the DOSBox keymapper...
Just got the confirmation email and can't wait to get a good spin at it

I was already in the middle of another playthrough, halfway through Tour 2, so I guess I shall put that on hold ;-)

JKing: Looking forward to giving it a spin! It will be nice to (hopefully) be able to use all the buttons on my joystick without fighting with the DOSBox keymapper...
On that note, while it might not work for all profiling softwares around, I've found out that the Saitek (now Logitech) profiling software carries over seamlessly inside the DOSBOX virtual machines with no issues, so I don't have to deal with the clunky mapper.

I can use my X52 with the classic CD-ROM edition with all bells and whistles, like throttle and dual-stage trigger macros, mode selector wheel for ships with 2-3 laser configuration and so on... even VoiceAttack commands gets relayed correctly inside the VM, it's glorious!
Post edited June 06, 2017 by Antaniserse
Yeah, joysticks and HOTAS with programmable functions are awesome for old games, many of the "modern joysticks not compatible with old stuff" complaints go away after playing a bit with their profiling softwares.

And yes, playing X-wing and its sequels with a HOTAS is indeed glorious!

I got my confirmation e-mail too, can't wait to find out how it will behave on my PC.

Antaniserse: Just got the confirmation email and can't wait to get a good spin at it

I was already in the middle of another playthrough, halfway through Tour 2, so I guess I shall put that on hold ;-)
I admire your resolve, even though I give a spin to the historical combat missions at least once a week I don't think I would ever be able to replay the campaign.
Post edited June 06, 2017 by Det_Bullock