It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

_Zenger_: The version check is necesary, It exists because if the patch don't find what it is expected, the patch won't work at all, and It will only make the game crash if it goes on and change things in the programs, so It stops and do nothing because it has no sense to go on and corrupt the game files
Regards
nice1: So i take it you have no intention of making the patch compatible with the original game so those who of us who actually paid the original developers for their work back in the day can't enjoy it along with the gog users?
If so thats a bit pathetic to be honest which is a shame as i hate to say it because it is actually good what you've done but to then ignore pretty much everyone else just because they don't have the slightly altered gog version even after you've been asked nicely multiple times on the forum is hardly fair is it?. :/

Being as Zenger is under no obligation to do any work on the game, and that he is doing so out of his own time and for no fee, why should he have to make the patch work for the non-GOG version? He doesn't have to make it for the GOG version if he doesn't want to, so it is a great thing that he is doing.
The GOG version is modified to allow it to run on modern computers, so it isn't the same as the original retail version. If Zenger doesn't have the original retail version then he may not be able to create a working patch for it anyway. I would imagine that it is this very reason that he has to have the version check, because of the difference in the files and therefore to prevent it corrupting the original retail version.
And as for fair, of course it's fair. Zenger has the GOG version, he can create his own patch for the GOG version. If he hasn't got the original retail he cannot create a patch for it. If it bothers you that much, nice1, why don't you create a patch for the retail version?
Zenger, keep up the great work and pay no attention to those like nice1 who slam you for not releasing a version for the original retail game. I mean, GOG is cheap, the games are more likely to run than the original releases, so that alone is worth the small cost, and that you've released this as a free bonus improvement is great.
Thank you for your words korell, I'm very glad that you find the patches useful
Regards

Is the weird tearing down the left and right of the screen normal? I get it at any resolution with or without your patch.

As far as I know It's normal, the engine of the game seems to work that way, I guess It was done that way for better perfomance, but I'm just guessing
regards
So i take it you have no intention of making the patch compatible with the original game so those who of us who actually paid the original developers for their work back in the day can't enjoy it along with the gog users?
If so thats a bit pathetic to be honest which is a shame as i hate to say it because it is actually good what you've done but to then ignore pretty much everyone else just because they don't have the slightly altered gog version even after you've been asked nicely multiple times on the forum is hardly fair is it?. :/

Hi Nice1, well, I talked about this with terence_13 here:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/outcast/how_outcast_would_look_played_in_high_res_ingame_screenshots_inside
There I explained the most important reasons why I don't want to be involved in any version outside the GOG version, and as I said then, I understand that You will probably not agree with me or my logic, but that is what I think, and I'm sorry to say that I won't change my mind, sorry
Also, in the particular case of this patch... well, the only thought of repeating the patch itself all over again for other version... well, make me shiver, and I don't think I would have the patience, strength or time to do it again, but as I said, this is an added reason, the most important reasons are those that I posted in that post
Regards
Post edited August 16, 2010 by _Zenger_
I bought Outcast back in 1999 and was totally blown away by it.
The fact that there is a website providing "good old games" at low prices are great!
And then we have the fans... Fans like Zenger with some programming knowledge.
No game is bigger than its fanbase, and Zenger has made Outcast look like it was meant to look.
I'm not mad at Zenger for not applying a self made patch to a game that he might not have.
I understand Zenger if he doesn't want to create a patch for a game that he might not have.
Pity that he gets criticized for making stuff for people who just want to play a game at a higher resolution than the game was intented to have.
Let him be, please.
Hi insomnia_jt, thank you for your words :D
Regards
low rated
korell: Being as Zenger is under no obligation to do any work on the game, and that he is doing so out of his own time and for no fee, why should he have to make the patch work for the non-GOG version? He doesn't have to make it for the GOG version if he doesn't want to, so it is a great thing that he is doing.
The GOG version is modified to allow it to run on modern computers, so it isn't the same as the original retail version. If Zenger doesn't have the original retail version then he may not be able to create a working patch for it anyway. I would imagine that it is this very reason that he has to have the version check, because of the difference in the files and therefore to prevent it corrupting the original retail version.
And as for fair, of course it's fair. Zenger has the GOG version, he can create his own patch for the GOG version. If he hasn't got the original retail he cannot create a patch for it. If it bothers you that much, nice1, why don't you create a patch for the retail version?
Zenger, keep up the great work and pay no attention to those like nice1 who slam you for not releasing a version for the original retail game. I mean, GOG is cheap, the games are more likely to run than the original releases, so that alone is worth the small cost, and that you've released this as a free bonus improvement is great.

I know that the gog version is basically fully patched (including unofficial) with the cd check removed and possibly some other minor alteration, if Zenger or someone else uploaded the loader.exe and any other altered files this wouldn't be an issue, of course that may be against the rules, he's not obligated to do anything and as i said it was good what he's done for those with gogs version but why ignore this topic and not even try to be more accommodating, like maybe release the changes another way etc?
Again sure he doesn't have to do anything but i and many others will probably find his disregard for everyone else to be a bit pathetic and unreasonable, this isn't something im really that bothered about but its just a bit pathetic and lame at the end of the day, its up to him if thats the way he wants to be though. :)
This patch is amazing. Thank you Zenger, you're one of the reasons, this game still doesn't feel outdated - more than 11 years after its release!
@nice1: calling -zengers- beliefes pathetic is certainly not very nice - I hope he does not take it personall. I would certainly find it very discourraging and would think twice if speding hours of debugging and trying to understand hardcore assembler is worthwhile the effort when getting such a feedback.
And like I said: It just takes someone to upload the original loader.exe oc1.exe oc2.exe and oc3.exe and does not need any involvment of zenger. Just out of curriosity I circumvented the filesize check (it is just that) and I can see the changes zenger applied, e.g. the first change in loader.exe changes something into "EB 27", which are the opcodes for "jump short 39 bytes ahead. All changes are naturally out of context so it is impossible to guess for the other changes wht they mean. All this is a piece of cake when having the GOG executables..so just wait if somebody is willing to upload them. And of not, spend the 6$
This Company has achieved that ATARI, will change opinion with 'Outcast' (and other games).
I bought this edition for 6$, because he is worth paying it, but I had problems with the music, which was not solved by this Company, but Yes by 'Zenger'. Even this the topic of 'terence_13' that he says that GOG stole the '4th not official patch' that had the solution of 'twon-ha' & 'areas of the marsh and fields of rice'.
From OUTCAST-Spain, we would like that another Company (FX Interactive), re-launch also the game in our language optimized to the current operating systems and in HD (thanks to the work of 'zenger'), between other things.
This will be our diptych, and we will take it to a fair of games (GamerLand) at the end of October, 2010.
More info about diptych (in english) here.
Greetings!
Attachments:
CutterSlade23 what patch ?
you know that was RST who discovered how to play the CD and DVD versions of the game without the requirement of any patch to ride the Twon-ha. So who stole what and to whose ?
But is proper to say the original sources and give the credits to whose deserve.
Post edited August 19, 2010 by arfgh
arfgh: CutterSlade23 what patch ?
you know that was RST who discovered how to play the CD and DVD versions of the game without the requirement of any patch to ride the Twon-ha. So who stole what and to whose ?
But is proper to say the original sources and give the credits to whose deserve.

I know that you (arfgh) are RST, this to start.
When I speak of 'terence_13' about the patch n�4, I speak it because he did protest about this to GOG.com, in another post.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/outcast/how_outcast_would_look_played_in_high_res_ingame_screenshots_inside
What you did to mount well 'Twon - ha', (only to the animal), was a trick. The same that another person has done, to gain access to the lighthouse of Cyana, a trick.
This is a trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nid5yu1xBwY
And this... is a patch (by 'Zenger'):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXI6nWgPGY
There is a big difference between a trick and a patch.
If you want to take the merit of the patch of 'terence_13' and 'atomicJo', speak with them. You can find them in the forums 'Planet-Adelpha'.
http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=121
Greetings!
Post edited August 19, 2010 by CutterSlade23
Hey man, thanks again tons for doing this. Definitely going to try it out when I've cleaned up my backlog some. Didn't think you'd be back again so it's great to see. Sorry you've burned yourself out over it...definitely cool off.
I hope it's not too selfish to wish you come back to it someday, if even years from now, and complete it, perhaps more slowly so you don't get tired of it. I know you don't seem keen on donations but if you change your mind I'm sure a lot of us would be willing to chip in to keep the work going.
And about exclusivity, I understand and think that's really cool. Honestly I'm kind of frustrated with people here that won't spend a lousy 6 bucks for a game that will work for them on any new operating system indefinitely, and support GOG in the process -- so, it's just as well.
Those criticising Zenger for not making a patch for the original version are, well, pathetic.
It has been explained why Zenger might not be able to make a patch for the CD DVD version (ie, he only has access to the GOG version) but still they complain.
Zenger is not being paid for this. He is doing this out of the kindness of his heart. He does not owe those who have the original game a damn thing.
And if you cannot afford Six dollars for the GOG version, then I suggest you have bigger problems then a freaking game.
I have just obtained the GOG Version of Outcast and tested the patch imidiately. Great work zenger but just one question: what is the checkbox "use videos" for? Every time I start Outcast through start.exe I see the video - regardless of checking or unchecking the box.
MarkoH01: I have just obtained the GOG Version of Outcast and tested the patch imidiately. Great work zenger but just one question: what is the checkbox "use videos" for? Every time I start Outcast through start.exe I see the video - regardless of checking or unchecking the box.

I guess that was for the cd/dvd version. Maybe the intro was played in some other way in those versions. In this version It seems that GOG have made the video to run separately through they software "start"
WOW! I just bought the GOG version just to try your patch and it works perfectly! Outcast looks better than ever and I haven't gor any crashes yet! Could you make a 1920x1080 (16:9) or 1920x1200 (16:10) patch? The game would look OUTSTANDING in that resolution!