It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DarzaR: Chunk'o'steel & Compound17 are both indestructible
MitchShudlem: Just a note, as someone might read it out of context, Chunks are destructible by merge.
Ok, ill clarify it then as "indestructible by means of explosive or water damage being discussed there". I thought its clear, but why not make it better (many other items are also possible to make them cease to exist by one or another way).
Upd. I think i used some really bad word choice there: Water cannot destroy item at all, it can only damage it up to 1%, so indestructible is sorta misleading, sorry.

DarzaR: Some bonus oddities: there are also flags/properties of "repairable" (being able to be repaired by mechanic), "metal" (receive only half damage from explosions and triggering MetalDetector)
MitchShudlem: What does "triggering MetalDetector" mean? I thought MetalDetector is only to detect mines.
No, to detect any "buried" (set to be invisible) Metal item. You can also find buried money (S28) and a knife (S39) in this game using it (no other such items in vanilla game, SectorData.pdf list them as "buried"). Problem is that the way they did items, player will also see detectable (not special triggers/explosives) "buried" items simply while standing on them (in Inventory screen), and it seemd to complicated to make it work more reasonable way, as far i can recall (as its sorta of no use without modding anyway, due to scarcity of such items).
Upd: very technically speaking items hidden in boxes and other objects work exactly same way, so there are many such items in game, but they all are inaccessible to stand on them "fair" way, and MetalDetector have a special rule preventing it from searching for items in objects.

DarzaR: Every quest item is floatable, except Headstone.
MitchShudlem: Are you sure about that? The Headstone will just sink? That would be tough, would almost mean you lost the whole campaign (not that it doesn't make sense, it's a pile of stone).
As far i can recall i even tested it in past, but should be fast to do the same for you too i think. How come its make you lose the whole campaign btw? Its rather late in game. While getting Purifier drown is generally game over, contrary to it, assuming playing "conventional" way. Moreother, the whole idea of that Headstone quest is to swim for it; if it would just float to coast in case it would be really silly, id say.
Post edited September 09, 2021 by DarzaR
DarzaR: No, to detect any "buried" (set to be invisible) Metal item. You can also find buried money (S27) and a knife (S39) in this game using it (no other such items in vanilla game, SectorData.pdf list them as "buried"). Problem is that the way they did items, player will also see detectable (not special triggers/explosives) "buried" items simply while standing on them (in Inventory screen), and it seemd to complicated to make it work more reasonable way, as far i can recall (as its sorta of no use without modding anyway, due to scarcity of such items).
Right, I just forgot about those buried items, sorry. As I know their positions, I just pick them up (does it trigger wisdom rolls?), but I also remember using MetalDetector for that in the past.

DarzaR: As far i can recall i even tested it in past, but should be fast to do the same for you too i think. How come its make you lose the whole campaign btw? Its rather late in game. While getting Purifier drown is generally game over, contrary to it, assuming playing "conventional" way. Moreother, the whole idea of that Headstone quest is to swim for it; if it would just float to coast in case it would be really silly, id say.
I imagined that if you lose the Headstone, natives would require more and more salary raises each day until you would start losing money instead of earning it and go bankrupt. Of course, this applies to a very long campaign, like mine is (it is a quite early game for me). If you rushed a bit more, used only cost-effective mercenaries and maybe ommited some sectors, it would still be ok.
MitchShudlem: (does it trigger wisdom rolls?)
No, and it clearly intended, as roll directly check for the Mine.

MitchShudlem: I imagined that if you lose the Headstone, natives would require more and more salary raises each day until you would start losing money instead of earning it and go bankrupt.
Sure, it would hurt much, but by playing "slow" way, with cheap, but reliable mercs, player is full of money that stage of game usually. So it just should make player speed up advancing to S1 after realizing that income getting negative.
DarzaR: ToolKit is the only "combine-to-refill" item that is also repairable.
I had my doubts, so I tested it and no, ToolKit does not repair. I think you must have meant Locksmith's Kit as it matches the description of being both repairable and refillable by merge.
DarzaR: ToolKit is the only "combine-to-refill" item that is also repairable.
MitchShudlem: I had my doubts, so I tested it and no, ToolKit does not repair. I think you must have meant Locksmith's Kit as it matches the description of being both repairable and refillable by merge.
Ofc you're right, its just me me already bad and useless enough to make so many mistakes while typping one word. Ofc its LocksmithKit.
Hello!
Thank you for your huge work on patch & info to JA1!
I have some questions @DarzaR:
1) ADR team still exists or it’s a matter of the past? How many were you and how many are you now? What plans have any of these people relating to JA1... any projects like editors or mods?
2) Can you add new hotkeys? Personaly I see strong need for hotkeys to following actions: crouch, see last message (e.g. critical hits, sound heard), continue path (same like clicking portraits when a merk has one still to reach destination). Also of lower priority would be: turn to, aim points decrease/increase, select a merk without centering on’em (1,2,... or shift+F1,shift+F2,...).
3) How helpful theoretically one editor can be? For purposes like edit already existing items/merks. And for adding new items/merks. Does it require hardcoding or editor could do job if someone created good one? Relating to this... can be Smoke Bomb (ID 20) & Eagle Smokeball (ID 21) easily “repaired” or it would again require new bits of hardcoding?
4) Do you know what types of archive this game uses to store its resources and what utility needed to extract’em?
Please make next better version of the JA1 patch mod - awesome.
Hey DarzaR, are you still interested in bug reports? I am still replaying from time to time and have collected some saves and notes.
Post edited October 25, 2023 by MitchShudlem