It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America by Walter Borneman. A really good study on the war and how it affected the birth of my nation.
Songs of Kali by Dan Simmons

Excellent writing thus far.

Gearing up for some scary shit I think.
Tad Williams Shadowmarch - The Game.
Nice fantasy, with some touch of humor.
Post edited May 10, 2016 by Maxvorstadt
Today I finished Necropolis by Tim Waggoner. Loved it. I get tired of urban fantasy that spends too much time explaining everything; he told just enough for things to make sense.
Currently re-reading the original Shannara trilogy -- just saw the TV series and I'd like to wash it out of my mind as quickly as possible! :-)
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Phantom by Susan Kay

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (some Jane Austen-esque goodness to balance out the angst of POTO)

(Yes, I realize I'm reading quite a strange combination).
Now I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir, I have watched the movie first and it was fun but the book is 200 times Better... :)
Post edited May 13, 2016 by sharp299
sharp299: Now I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir, I have watched the movie first and it was fun but the book is 200 times Better... :)
I have read the book but haven't seen the film, I liked the book but wasn't amazed by it. Right now I think I could rent the movie for $5 (not sure though), should I or should I wait for it to be on a streaming service like Netflix?
ScotchMonkey: John Carter of Mars: Book 1 "The Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I just recently re-read the whol Barsoom series. The later books have not aged very well. The first three are overall pretty fun (albeit Carter is already such a superhero by the half way of the second one, that there's no tension in his fight scenes anymore), but later on they just turn far too formulaic so, that even if you skip most of the book, you'll still know excatly what has happened.
sharp299: Now I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir, I have watched the movie first and it was fun but the book is 200 times Better... :)
justanoldgamer: I have read the book but haven't seen the film, I liked the book but wasn't amazed by it. Right now I think I could rent the movie for $5 (not sure though), should I or should I wait for it to be on a streaming service like Netflix?
the movie is good but its not enough amazing to rent it in my opinion. if you have Netflix subscription I recommend you wait
A bit late to the party, but Wool by Hugh Howey.
Markus Heitz: "Die Legenden der Albae - Vernichtender Hass"
Good Dark Fantasy by a german autor. The first two books of the series are also translated into english.
Some other books of stephen flowers and the Saturnian Brotherhood's studying material. Detailed titles omitted for the accidental forum reader's good.

Next on the list, if i manage to track them obviously, are the Swedish Red Dragon cult's advanced studying material (basic is easily spotted) and if i can locate the even rarer, Novus Ordo Draconis sources.

Western stuff though doesn't make sense much and isn't as practical (or results-yielding, most importantly) as the Oriental Arts...
Post edited May 16, 2016 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Finished Jim Butcher's Dresden Files book series (seen the TV series, noticed there were made after the books and got curious). Definitely one of the best modern magic series out there. The TV series have minimum connexion with the books, but you have to give it to Paul Blackthorne for getting the essence of the main character. The series are not quite finished, five more books being planned plus a final trilogy. Ideal reading for a vacation/holiday.

Right now i've started Malazan: Books of the Fallen - Garden of the Moon and i'd say that it's the type of series that you love or hate. The volumes are big, i mean really big, somewhere in the A Song of Ice and Fire number of pages. But i'd say that is easier to follow the plots. You have many interesting characters and none can be seen as the usual black and white/good and evil. You won't be able to pick a side. A bit of a real world conundrum i'd say. One man's hero, another man's terrorist and so on. So far, i'm liking that world and wonder why no one made a cRPG from it. As the inspiration for the book was a unique campaign made by the author for his D&D games, i'd say that Malazan is quite fit for a videogame.
The Plague by Alfred Camus

Reads a bit like Orwell for the first 16 pages. Similar prose and the like.
Maxvorstadt: Markus Heitz: "Die Legenden der Albae - Vernichtender Hass"
Good Dark Fantasy by a german autor. The first two books of the series are also translated into english.
That's the Legends of Albae right? Would you recommend the English translation?
Post edited May 28, 2016 by ScotchMonkey