It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Master and commander.

Last week was about reaping the benefits of being a well-wisher. This week is about being master and commander. A battalion of strategy games await your orders inside our Weekly Sale barracks, flying an up to -90% banner.

Battle Brothers: Soldiers of fortune are rarely noble, but man do they get the job done. With some smart maneuvering on your part, lots of grit, and little bit of luck, they will soon be a force to be reckoned with in this dark fantasy world of blood and mud.

Craft the World: Tactical gameplay is not just about laying waste but also about laying the foundations for a world of your own making! Control a tribe of industrious dwarves as they build, defend, and expand their settlements against the magical meanies of the land.

The Weekly Sale ends April 30, 10 PM UTC.
badon: If you have any other suggestions, ideas, or thoughts you want to share about my GOGmix, please let me know!
Carradice: King of Dragon Pass is atemporal. Its graphics are mostly very beautiful pictures that is a joy to look at, with a wonderful soundtrack.

The original version will work anywhere, everywhere. No problems of CPU clock, etc.

The original main designer made a remake for tablets that works nice, and then ported it to PC. It adds only a few comfort improvements. Right now GOG is selling the remake BUT the original version comes as well. I would bet both will work fine but especially the original will do fine in any computer, while looking equally awesome.

The game is one-of-a-kind. You get to manage a clan of northern barbarians as they migrate to the lands of Dragon Pass, in the world of Glorantha, of RuneQuest fame. It really feels like that, and you get to care about the people and its culture.
Timeless. I added it, thank you!

https://www.gog.com/mix/games_that_work_on_old_low_spec_pcs

I will have to get this game myself in the future. It looks like fun.
Post edited May 02, 2018 by badon
badon: What sorcery is this? What is an "online remake"? Have you had a chance to play your games yet? Any you can recommend to me?
Carradice: Hehe, thanks for pointing out the bad wording. I just edited it. You know, I meant a remake available online for free that is to be applied over the version in GOG.

Well, I did not get Knights and Merchants this time. I focused on Warrior Kings. About this one I just started with the first levels, but so far it is fun.

There are for very short tutorials that you will be done with in no time. Then, the first mission lets you practice with your units, and the second mission is the first one where the game is not holding your hand so much and you start making more decisions.

The graphics are pòst-2000 and serviceable. The same with the interface. Older polygons, comparable to the first Total War game. There is some originality with the economy. The game does not tell you explicitly: each crop field is to be tended by just one peasant. You will find that most RTS interface conventions work, double click to select all the units of the same type within an area, left click selects, right click points destination, Control-number to make groups, etcetera.

Also of note: formations matter. With too few units it it not possible to make up a formation. Also, when formed it is possible to disband the formation, with might be advantageous in some circumstances. There are places, for example narrow passages, that a formation cannot trespass, so you have to change from line to column or disbanding the formation if you want to get to your destination through the shorter path. Formations offer bonuses and the possibility of making them up or disbanding them is quite original and provides tactical options.

Buildings that provide you with new units can be set to send these to wherever you tell them, selecting the long arrow icon in the building screen, and right-click on the desired point.

All in all, it manages to surprise even seasoned players. The gameplay feels organic, things just "feel right". Each mission scenario provides you with a mini-epic. As one of the reviews in GOG points out, this game will give you a few things that Total War will not.

It is fun and worth a try. So much fun for barely few cents!!!
I got Warrior Kings and the sequel. Thanks for the recommendation!