It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Stuff: If you are not willing to produce and post game covers on a daily basis then what is your point. I have very limited time for this project as do other community members who are participating. If you are not willing to take on the workload of producing and posting then I don't understand your negativity??
I said the covers look bad, because that is my opinion. I'm just sharing it. Does that mean that I can't say what I think about the covers without producing thousands of them?

But if you want some further criticism, then here you are:

1) On the back, there's a lot of wasted space in the description. Consider removing the spacing between bullet points.
2) The bottom section however is too cramped. You might want to make the requirements in a smaller font, shrink the screenshots and space them out a little more.
3) The footer is a little too big, and those system logos are unnecessary.
4) Consider having the margins uniform, right now the margins on the bottom section are too small compared to the description (which has a decent margin). Please avoid putting elements so close to the edge.
5) Try justifying the description and unifying the font on all elements, it will look a lot cleaner (the font that GOG uses is Open Sans).
6) The tops and bottoms of the front, spine and back are not aligned.

Stuff: It has taken you four years to find this thread and your only comment is display your awesome knowledge of image editing. You are assuming that the folks producing and posting these covers don't understand image quality or res and are in need of your guidance.
Yes it has taken me 4 years, because I don't spend every waking moment looking through the boards. And yes, I'm assuming that whoever made those covers doesn't know, anything about image quality, resolution and design. Because when you just change the dpi without changing the pixel dimensions, that doesn't mean anything, as the printer will just change the dpi back. But if you're sticking to those pixel dimensions, the the proper dpi those covers should be 176. Then there is no resizing needed.

Stuff: I will be looking forward to seeing your covers when you start posting them on a daily basis. Please don't insult my intelligence with your incredible understanding of image editing and design unless you are willing to put your time where your mouth is???? When can I expect to view the first of your many high quality covers?? The community will be thrilled with them and I will have more free time to spend with my family and friends. =)
Because covers for games are more important than family and friends. Nice priorities...

Stuff: You will need to produce between four and six covers a week, design will need to be final on posting each week. Hopefully you will make the covers so they will be easily identified as covers produced for and by the GOG community.
Who said anything about making them on a daily basis? I said my opinion, shared my covers. What you do with them is up to you. I don't care that they're "recognized by the community". If you like them, then you like them. If you don't then you don't.

Oh, and I'd rather have a smaller number of good covers, than a ton of crappy ones.
Quality over quantity. Ever heard of it?

BangHowdy: My covers are inconsistent and amateurish because I am an amateur.
So am I.
Post edited October 24, 2014 by amarthar
amarthar: But if you want some further criticism, then here you are:

1) On the back, there's a lot of wasted space in the description. Consider removing the spacing between bullet points.
2) The bottom section however is too cramped. You might want to make the requirements in a smaller font, shrink the screenshots and space them out a little more.
3) The footer is a little too big, and those system logos are unnecessary.
4) Consider having the margins uniform, right now the margins on the bottom section are too small compared to the description (which has a decent margin). Please avoid putting elements so close to the edge.
5) Try justifying the description and unifying the font on all elements, it will look a lot cleaner (the font that GOG uses is Open Sans).
6) The tops and bottoms of the front, spine and back are not aligned.
Good points. Thank you for the feedback.
Your opinions concerning design are just that . . If you are not willing to participate in making covers than stop criticizing the work of those who do participate. Anyone can do what you have done .. basically pretend your opinions should be adapted because somehow it would elevate the quality to awesome levels.

If you want your format to be used . . post covers??? It's simple . . . participate by submitting covers???? Why not? You are very good at criticizing perhaps you would also teach us by example produce some real work over an extended period of time??

BangHowdy is doing an awesome job, steady, solid work. Especially when compared to yours . . . oh, wait . . you have only created covers for games you want to create covers for and it took two weeks to get a half finished cover. Let GOG's release schedule determine what covers you make and have them done and posted before the next release. Day in and day out, week in and week out . . you may find the current format more appealing. Every added design element adds time to the creation.

amarthar: Because covers for games are more important than family and friends. Nice priorities...
No . . but I try to support the community as much as possible . . takes time, lots of it. You criticize the work of many years by many community members not knowing or understanding (apparently) how much time it takes to do a cover. You post some mediocre covers, not finished that took you two weeks to make and feel compelled to instruct others on how it should be done. Do every cover for every release for the next year and your "opinions" would carry some weight. Your opinions are welcomed . . your criticism of existing work is uncalled for. People do what they can to support the community projects. Measuring up to your expectations is not a requirement.

amarthar: Oh, and I'd rather have a smaller number of good covers, than a ton of crappy ones.
Quality over quantity. Ever heard of it?
You should look at your design flaws first and realize your are not creating cutting edge designs . . except in your opinion. Maybe if you created some covers for a while you would understand the relationship between the quality and quantity better. Yes, I have heard of it and probably understand it much better than you since you hold your own opinions on quality so highly with your output in quantity being none. I could make the quality so ridiculously high it would be insane. . . knowing what is required is half the battle. Like I said, make a hundred covers and see if you still feel all the extra design elements are necessary to make a good cover.

amarthar: So am I.
Yet you judge the work of others as if you are an expert??
low rated
So, basically, what you are saying is: "Any opinion that disagrees with me is invalid, because I said so". Why can't I just say that what is flawed, is flawed? I don't think of myself as an expert. I just say what I see. What is wrong with that? Let me put it in another way. When you play a bad game, do you say that it's a bad game? Or do you justify it to yourself: "I've never made a game, so I shouldn't criticise" and say it's a good game?

You say that the GOG release schedule should dictate what covers are to be made. Why? Do you work for GOG? Are you getting money for those covers? Why should something you do fun, for the community, be dictated. Maybe if you stop sticking so tightly to new releases then maybe you'd be less uptight about it?

And I'm not saying that my covers are better. You asked for my covers and I posted them. I never said that they are flawless. That's why I said they're not finished. And I do know how long it takes to make a cover. I've started making covers around 2007. I've got around 1000 done, and around 200 unfinished. PC, SNES, Game Boy, Genesis, PSP, etc. My cover folder is 11,5 GB in size.
amarthar: So, basically, what you are saying is: "Any opinion that disagrees with me is invalid, because I said so". Why can't I just say that what is flawed, is flawed? I don't think of myself as an expert. I just say what I see. What is wrong with that? Let me put it in another way. When you play a bad game, do you say that it's a bad game? Or do you justify it to yourself: "I've never made a game, so I shouldn't criticise" and say it's a good game?

You say that the GOG release schedule should dictate what covers are to be made. Why? Do you work for GOG? Are you getting money for those covers? Why should something you do fun, for the community, be dictated. Maybe if you stop sticking so tightly to new releases then maybe you'd be less uptight about it?
No . . what I am saying is you are welcome to your opinion. What you consider a flaw is simply YOUR opinion. If not an expert why are you belittling the work of your fellow community members?

Bad games are also your opinion . . again. Bad to one may be excellent to another. What I would say is I don't necessarily like a game but I would not pretend to know how to make it better since my programming expertise does not lend itself to game programing. I would not ridicule the game programmers for doing their best unless I could demonstrably do better..

I'm not up tight about it at all, lots of folks have donated time and effort to the covers. Some better than others, some not so good but all welcome. Labeling me as uptight is your way of side stepping my challenge for you to start creating covers for the GOG community. You mess around for two weeks making some simple covers at your leisure, claiming they are not the final design, then post here belittling years of work by many members. I found that to be simply arrogant on your part and condescending of the efforts of others.

What I am saying is if you start from scratch on Tuesday morning, make and post covers for every release that day and the rest of the week you would find that the time required can be huge. You don't know what is going to be released so you have to find images, edit them, create the cover and post or you will get behind very quickly.

You, having not done any real work in creating covers for the community come here and make the pompous post about how crappy they are . . yet will not commit to making them at your purposed "higher" quality in order to make our covers better. Otherwise, you want to criticize those who have made an attempt from you higher platform of judgement while producing NOTHING but a couple of fair examples of covers you picked at your leisure and made over a couple of weeks . . still claiming they should not be judged sine they are not the final design . . assuming they will get EVEN better when you are finished apparently???

amarthar: And I'm not saying that my covers are better. You asked for my covers and I posted them. I never said that they are flawless. That's why I said they're not finished. And I do know how long it takes to make a cover. I've started making covers around 2007. I've got around 1000 done, and around 200 unfinished. PC, SNES, Game Boy, Genesis, PSP, etc. My cover folder is 11,5 GB in size.
You insinuated your covers were awesome and all the covers posted here were crap. I invited you to commit to making your awesome covers and you decline. If you know what it takes to create a cover why are you ridiculing those made with sincere effort by your fellow community members?

Apparently you think 11.5 GB is large when talking about images. I have PSD files that are 50 GB in size for one directory alone. I think you have talent and would be an asset to the GOG community as we could use more help with the cover creation. What I don't understand it the pompous way you have presented your abilities and suggesting that all other covers posted on GOG are crappy. Really?? I assume you mean compared to yours so I respond . . compared to yours??? . . yours are no better than anyones . . you just like to build yourself up by tearing others down.

Why not end this debate here and start using your skills to help BangHowdy and other create a more awesome collection of covers? Personally I think your covers look great . . just not any better than others posted here. I also suggest you add the logos for GOG, the publisher and the developer to every cover since they are releasing them DRM free it is the least we can do in appreciation. But see, that is just MY opinion. =)
Post edited October 25, 2014 by Stuff
low rated
Yes, and my first post was that - my opinion.

You keep saying, that I claimed that my covers were better. Where and when did I say that? Because I did no such thing. I said the covers on the site are bad, you said to show my work, and I did. I didn't mean "your covers are worse than mine", I meant "your covers are worse then what I've seen other amateur cover makers do". Just go look at thecoverproject.net or vgboxart.com

Why should I treat this as "a challenge"? I do this for fun. Why should I put more stress on myself? Why should I create covers that YOU want me to create, instead of covers that I want to make, at the pace I want to make them?

Oh, and I think that we finally agree on something. I also think that this debate is done. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Let's keep it that way.

And about bad games. Sure, there are games that are subjectively bad, but then there are games that are objectively bad. Full of glitches, bugs, bad art, bad animation, bad gameplay decisions, untested, etc. Do you consider them to be good? Because I don't. If you want some examples of bad games, then here you are: Big Riggs, Ride to Hell: Retribution, Superman 64, Bubsy 3D. Those are bad games.

PS: By the way, it seems that one of the servers you put some of your covers on is down.
amarthar: Yes, and my first post was that - my opinion.
Then, knowing that you shouldn't get angry if some disagree??

amarthar: You keep saying, that I claimed that my covers were better. Where and when did I say that? Because I did no such thing. I said the covers on the site are bad, you said to show my work, and I did. I didn't mean "your covers are worse than mine", I meant "your covers are worse then what I've seen other amateur cover makers do". Just go look at thecoverproject.net or vgboxart.com
You insinuate, with your extreme knowledge, that you were correct and the images here were crap. You showed your work (which I mistakenly assumed you were displaying as an example) and I was like . . . really?? I've seen better work on thecoverproject.net or vgboxart.com. NOW you say " Oh no, I meant your covers are (even) worse then what I've seen other amateur cover makers do (NOT that MINE were better)."

So your are average now, much like the GOG community covers with better examples being found elsewhere?? Make up your mind are you better at cover making or is GOG just the worst covers on the internet??? lol

amarthar: Why should I treat this as "a challenge"? I do this for fun. Why should I put more stress on myself? Why should I create covers that YOU want me to create, instead of covers that I want to make, at the pace I want to make them?
You don't.

Because you have no intention of doing ANYTHING but criticizing the work of your fellow community members. You would actually have to do some real work, meet some deadlines and post nearly daily finished covers. You are so self-inflated about your knowledge and skills that to accept the challenge would expose you. You don't need to stress yourself, nooooo, just go on GOG and slam their efforts to create covers, you are WAY above wasting your precious skills on such trivial pursuits. Just make the easy ones you like to make and feel really superior to those talentless individuals that are hustling ever day to create covers for daily releases without access to resources. Just muddle along at in your comfort zone and log on to ridicule the efforts of these guys when you are bored making your superior covers.

amarthar: Oh, and I think that we finally agree on something. I also think that this debate is done. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Let's keep it that way.
We do indeed.

amarthar: And about bad games. Sure, there are games that are subjectively bad, but then there are games that are objectively bad. Full of glitches, bugs, bad art, bad animation, bad gameplay decisions, untested, etc. Do you consider them to be good? Because I don't. If you want some examples of bad games, then here you are: Big Riggs, Ride to Hell: Retribution, Superman 64, Bubsy 3D. Those are bad games.
This "bad games" discussion is so old and boring I can't believe you want to go there. Any game I enjoy is good, regardless of what anyone else says, good or bad is an opinion. Going on and on about it is adolescent.

amarthar: PS: By the way, it seems that one of the servers you put some of your covers on is down.
If you actually participated on this site you would know where to find the GOG cover collections. =)

Since we are done with this debate I will add this . .

We discussed going "full size" with the cover format in the past. If you will find a cover image from say 1986 it will be about 72 dpi or 96 dpi. Drop that into your full size format and drag it to fit the front cover. Now drop the same image into the format size we use here on GOG. Compare the two and you will see the huge drop in image quality between the two format sizes with the image stretched to fit the full size cover format noticeably inferior. We basically decided to make the largest cover format that would work the best over many different image sizes and available quality. Plus, every cover on GOG prints the same way, old or new, they are all the same size.

But lets look at another issue. If you save the "full size" cover you will see the file size can be huge especially if you save it in png format. To make the file sizes acceptable the existing format was also chosen since it could be saved around 1 Mb - 3 Mb for each cover minimizing the disk space required to save them. It was a compromise between image quality and finish size. Even so the png files some post can be large.

Anyway, good luck with your cover making . . .

Just a thought . . did you consider that maybe the images you see on other sites might be made by the same people posting covers here??? If I post there it is great but here it's crap? 0_o

Edit : forgot to address this in an early response . . .

amarthar: You say that the GOG release schedule should dictate what covers are to be made. Why? Do you work for GOG? Are you getting money for those covers? Why should something you do fun, for the community, be dictated. Maybe if you stop sticking so tightly to new releases then maybe you'd be less uptight about it?
I do not work for GOG in any way. I have never received compensation from GOG or affiliates . . ever. I am a community member just like you. I receive NOTHING for any covers I have or will submit.

I do cover work because a) I enjoy the challenge. b) I want to support the community project.

Why you ask. What you seem to not understand (lack of participation?) is there is a fan made cover for every game GOG has released. Years ago those of us making covers agreed on this goal and have cooperated in making sure we kept up with the releases. Releases have increased and the goal of keeping covers posted for every game is more difficult but we have managed to do so. The community members working on covers change but the goal has remained.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but your two week, unfinished four covers romp is a lol since there is no pressure in cranking out four mediocre covers that you choose to make over two weeks time using great images. Anybody can find great images to make covers they select themselves.

You mistake my amusement with your great accomplishment as being uptight. I merely suggest you do what the community has been doing for years and make covers for unknown games and post finished covers prior to the next game release. Anybody can make covers using wallpaper images at their leisure. Show us what you got and make covers and post them as they are released. I'm simply suggesting you show us you can produce rather than preen.
Post edited October 25, 2014 by Stuff
Wow, those covers are excellent. Too bad my wireless printer took a dump on me 8(. Outstanding!!
Hi BangHowdy! when you have some time could you please make the covers of : Sam & Max Hit the Road and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis thanks in advance!
Post edited October 29, 2014 by pcfan2013
I would like covers for Pier Solar, KOTOR, Sudeki and Driftmoon if possible.
Post edited October 29, 2014 by king_mosiah
pcfan2013: Hi BangHowdy! when you have some time could you please make the covers of : Sam & Max Hit the Road and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis thanks in advance!
king_mosiah: I would like covers for Pier Solar, KOTOR, Sudeki and Driftmoon if possible.
GOG decided to release a ton of great titles while I was on vacation. It will take me a few days to catch up.

Sudeki and Driftmoon already have covers.

Sudeki - http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/4t4g3hhh.png

Driftmoon - http://u.cubeupload.com/CowboyBebop01/bnQqwN.png
Post edited October 29, 2014 by BangHowdy
high rated
Screencheat

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s46hf.png

==============================

Supreme Ruler 2010

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s68kg.png

Halfway

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/h46hfg4.png

Pier Solar and the Great Architects

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/p8095.png

Kromaia

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/k45hgg.png

Wings Classic

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/w43h65.png

The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s45h3f.png

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/ijnr6jf.png

Sam & Max Hit the Road

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s43thr65.png

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s986j54.png

Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s45h64.png

Star Wars: TIE Fighter Special Edition

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s57dfg.png

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/i56bl.png - Added Linux requirements

Devil's Dare

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/d4rd6g.png

Windforge

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/wyuu4w.png

Braveland

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/bt45345.png - Cleaned it up a bit

Stick It to the Man!

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s45gyf6.png - Cleaned it up a bit

Fractured Soul

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/f5k6h5.png

Tales of Maj'Eyal

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/t67785g.png

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/t464c.png - Tales of Maj'Eyal + DLC

A Bird Story

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/b545h.png

Infested Planet

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/i6545.png

Lovely Planet

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/l5fg44.png

Rocket Ranger

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/r45y5d5.png

Randal's Monday

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/r675j65.png

Mount & Blade

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/m345jfbf6.png

Mount & Blade: Warband

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/m534g4g.png

Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/m3mj54g.png

Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/a3z42v2.png - Updated with bonus material

This War of Mine

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/te3g4g.png

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/sf435h.png

The Marvellous Miss Take

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/tmfdh5.png
Post edited November 27, 2014 by BangHowdy
I really like this type of cover with official artwork on the side. Could you make more like that, please? :D
BangHowdy: The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s45h3f.png

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/ijnr6jf.png

Sam & Max Hit the Road

http://u.cubeupload.com/BangHowdy/s43thr65.png
Thank you so much especially for these covers! the last cover i'm hoping you could make is: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Post edited October 31, 2014 by pcfan2013
I'm sorry in advance if it was already mentioned somewhere here, but I found an interesting site for crafting box cover, maybe it could help some people for DVD covers : vgboxart.com