I love GOG, but I do miss physical media and displaying games on my shelf, so discovering this is awesome! I have a few questions.
1. Is there a specific type of printer/printer paper you should use?
2. Is there a certain size to save the picture as?
3. What type of disc should you use?
First, i would like to apologize for my english. I'm not good at them.
I can tell from my experience you need to save some time and money to do that. If it's worth it? Idk.
1. I'm using a regular HP Deskjet 2710e printer. Printer is not expensive, but the Ink cartridges for this printer which is HP305 or HP305XL is cost almost the same price for two of them (black and color) like the printer. I recommend to buy one of the originals cartridges and learn how to refill them by yourself.
For paper you can print on whatever paper you want. I'm using a matte fotopaper from mediarange like this https://allegro.pl/oferta/mediarange-papier-foto-a4-matowy-130g-100-ark-9796962977
. i think this is the best option for low-price printer because on glossy paper it will smudging.
2. For pictures i was saving from this thread, for other games from mobygames.com. Of course when the resolution is higher, the better.
3. I'm using a Maxell DVD+R 4,7GB and Maxell CD-R 700mb to burn the games from gog. It depends on what the size the game is. For example DOOM (20MB) i will burn on CD-R, for Mafia II i will use a DVD+R. GOG makes this easier because if the game installation has above 4,7GB they are spliting it for 4,1 GB that you can burn it on regular DVD+R disc. For example Mafia Definitive Edition has 32GB (i guess) and the setup is splitted on 9 ISO's.
In the attachment you have my template for regular DVD case cover. For CD i recommend to use the mediaface software. It's free. https://www.neatolabels.com/pages/design
in the section "FOR OUR PC MEDIAFACE 5 SOFTWARE - DOWNLOAD" you have download link with the instruction how to use it. I'm using it for print CD covers on disc.
edit1: i don't think attachments is working :/