It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Extended support for our expanding catalog of Linux games

A happy day for all worshipers of the mighty penguin! Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has been released and is fully supported by GOG.com, making your Linux gaming experience smoother and more stable than ever before.

Alongside the 16.04 release GOG.com will of course continue to support 14.04, although we suggest keeping your system updated to minimize the risk of running into any issues. Our support also extends to any future non-LTS releases, official Ubuntu flavors (like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.), and derivatives (e.g. Linux Mint, elementaryOS etc.), so as long as your operating system is part of the Ubuntu family, you have nothing to worry about. Naturally, our technical support and refund policy apply to all these versions.

Our brave QA team has been tirelessly testing the games in our Linux catalog and we're happy to report that nearly all of them are already fully compatible with Ubuntu 16.04. The very few temperamental ones are getting fixed soon, so keep an eye out for patches.

AMD Radeon users should remember that the fglrx driver is removed from this release and they should use the opensource driver that is included in 16.04 by default. Read more about it <span class="bold">here</span>.

If you find yourself in need of technical support or more details regarding Linux matters, head to this <span class="bold">FAQ</span>. All the information in it will be updated soon.

Happy upgrades!
jorlin: Thanks for the effort. Please do share this list of games that are not working properly yet.
If it is one I play actively, I might postpone upgrading my system until either I have finished playing the game or until patches that correct the issues are rolled out (Preferrably supporting both 14.04 an 16.04)
There were very few of them :) What do you play recently?
Post edited April 22, 2016 by linuxvangog
high rated
luxon00: Can we get an update on when the Galaxy client is expected to release on Linux?
No ETA for now, sorry.
Matruchus: Great news but it would be better if you brought the missing native Linux versions for Metro, Dying Light and other AAA titles. This is where you are most lacking.
It's not that we don't want to have them, it's that sometimes it's just beyond our capabilities.

park_84: This is good, GOG, but it would be much better if you could add more titles to the Linux catalogue.
We're working on it! We might have something good for our dear penguins in stash :)
high rated
linuxvangog: It's not that we don't want to have them, it's that sometimes it's just beyond our capabilities.
Matruchus: Can you at least explain what is happening with Metro games linux version? I mean we know you have the linux game files (10 months now) for both games and its common knowledge that they run better on Linux then Windows.
No details that I can share, sorry. But believe me, if it was that simple, you would have it already.
high rated
GOG.com: so as long as your operating system is part of the Ubuntu family, you have nothing to worry about.
vsr: :(
My GNU/Linux distro doesn't belong to Ubuntu family. I guess i should start worrying. :/
Well, you know we cannot guarantee that the game will work on every distro out there. But you are always welcome to write to us and our lovely support team will try to help you :)
mrkgnao: For those interested, here are some statistics about GOG's current official Linux support (including removed games):

There are 450 games with official Linux support:
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~&opt=n]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~&opt=n[/url]

Of the 450, 3 do not officially support Ubuntu 14.04:
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~onn~lu4~&opt=n]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~onn~lu4~&opt=n[/url]

Of the 450, 14 do not officially support Ubuntu 16.04:
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~onn~lu6~&opt=n]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lu4lu6lm7~onn~lu6~&opt=n[/url]

Of the 450, 3 do still support Mint 17 and will likely continue doing so for quite a while:
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lm7~&opt=n]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lm7~&opt=n[/url]

P.S. The links are live searches, so they will update as GOG adds more Linux games.
I believe this might be a little error on our side. As for the very moment there are no games on the website that support only one version of Ubuntu.

Linux Mint is obviously still supported as long as it is derived from supported by us Ubuntu versions.
mrkgnao: Of the 450, 3 do still support Mint 17 and will likely continue doing so for quite a while:
[url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lm7~&opt=n]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=728&scp=gdspurio&dsp=ipgfsorlcmbahTP&ord=&flt=oan~lm7~&opt=n[/url]
Presenting things in that way might cause some misinterpretation. Every single game supported on Ubuntu 14.04 is also supported on Mint 17.
Our decision not to keep explicitly mentioning it on game pages was a matter of keeping the minimal requirements as clear as possible while introducing support of newer distributions.

We can't emphasise enough that the scope of our support is actually extending.

As long as your Mint distribution is an Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 derivative (that excludes, of course, LMDE), we support it, just like any other Ubuntu derivative.
HypersomniacLive: Not sure I follow, who are you referring to?
InkPanther: A long time ago somebody asked what does "GOG" stand for and some blue (probably TeT or Judas) jokingly wrote "Grumpy Old Gamers". I think the phrase describes perfectly many of posts under today's announcement. ;)
I believe I coined that term :P

edit: actually it was coined before I thought of it, oops: https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/gog_means_good_old_games/post94
Post edited April 22, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: I believe I coined that term :P
InkPanther: It's perfect. :]
Read my edited post, please :)
hummer010: This release marks nearly a decade that Linux has been my primary OS. It was the Dapper Drake (6.06) that finally put windows into second place for me. I haven't used Ubuntu for a few years now, but it was the distro that got me off windows.
Ubuntu was also the first distro I used before quitting Windows :D

I did try Red Hat Linux (before the RHEL and Fedora split, if I have my facts straight) in the early, early 2000s but I couldn't get a handle on it then.
hummer010: This release marks nearly a decade that Linux has been my primary OS. It was the Dapper Drake (6.06) that finally put windows into second place for me. I haven't used Ubuntu for a few years now, but it was the distro that got me off windows.
It was Kubuntu 7.04 for me. I was in high school, not so sure what I was doing. Installed it on an old computer in the library. The librarian was... not so happy about it.

I know JudasIscariot will disagree, but Unity is my main reason to stick with Ubuntu. First versions had rough edges, but I enjoyed it once it was ported to Compiz (still running it behind the scenes).
I really fell in love with this desktop environment after breaking a mouse and having to use my PC with a keyboard only, for a few days.
Unity has an amazing set of default hotkeys. Start a Unity session, hold the "super" key and see for yourself :)
JudasIscariot: Ubuntu was also the first distro I used before quitting Windows :D

I did try Red Hat Linux (before the RHEL and Fedora split, if I have my facts straight) in the early, early 2000s but I couldn't get a handle on it then.
hummer010: My first distro that I installed was Mandrake 7.1 sometime mid-2000. I dual-booted Mandrake for a long time. Then slackware. Then gentoo. Then Ubuntu. 6.06 was the first time that Linux became the default OS though. And before long, I didn't have windows installed at all. I bounced back and forth between Ubuntu and Debian for years until I finally switch to Arch a couple years ago.
Oh I was a long-time Mint user after Ubuntu's Unity drove me mad. I then noticed how annoying it was with Mint not getting basic software updates in its repos until they updated the actual release (so 17.1 to 17.2 in order to get some much-needed updates) so I switched to Arch-for-casuals AKA Antergos :D
JudasIscariot: Oh I was a long-time Mint user after Ubuntu's Unity drove me mad. I then noticed how annoying it was with Mint not getting basic software updates in its repos until they updated the actual release (so 17.1 to 17.2 in order to get some much-needed updates) so I switched to Arch-for-casuals AKA Antergos :D
hummer010: Unity was something that drove me to Debian. Eventually though, I came around to Gnome 3, and then tried Unity again (maybe around 12.04?), and it wasn't as bad as I had remembered.

Now I've gone more minimilast, and just use i3.

I really do love the rolling release. Sure things break sometimes, but there's no waiting for the next "big thing". Arch is generally pretty quick picking up new versions of stuff, and also pretty quick fixing stufff when it does break.
I just stay away from the Testing repo on my install and restrict anything from AUR to non-critical non-system packages so in case something breaks, it's nothing major :)

edit: I have i3 installed and set up although not "riced" but I went back to GNOME for now since i3 and games don't always mix :) I do love the utility of i3 though, two windows right next to each other, the light weight of it all, it was worth learning how to set it up :)
hummer010: Generic Linux support is tough to commit to. I don't mind them supporting Ubuntu and Mint. Odds are good, if it works on Ubuntu and Mint, it will work on Debian.

They've always been pretty distro-agnostic. Initially with tarballs, and now with the installer. Definitely better than just providing .deb's.
AnxiousInfusion: I would just like to see them support more upstream and move up to Debian. That way it at least becomes "supports Debian and all Debian derivatives" which would even include SteamOS.
*Personally*speaking, I would much rather have us do Arch (and Arch accessories :P) support...

Call it "trial by fire" support: before you can play your games you must install Arch the PURE way, no exceptions :D

(Again, this is just a joke :D)
Nepenthes: I know JudasIscariot will disagree,
You know me too well :P

Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason, I prefer as minimal of a desktop environment that simply stays out of my way and lets me find things when I need to without unnecessary clutter (my Windows 10 work desktop notwithstanding, I know it's a mess but it's a mess on purpose :P )
Post edited April 23, 2016 by JudasIscariot
high rated
JudasIscariot: Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason
shmerl: Unity (and Ubuntu in result) will also diverge from the rest of the Linux world because they'll be using Mir, while everyone else will be switching to Wayland. It will pretty much isolate Ubuntu. That rift is on deep enough level to cause a lot of issues that developers will have to deal with. I think Canonical are making a big disservice to Linux by pushing Mir.

I expect also Ubuntu usage to drop because of their Mir switch.
Don't forget that Mir and Wayland requirements are incredibly close (better EGL support), and the same goes for their paradigms. So close that they usually get supported at the same time by drivers (think NVIDIA proprietary driver, Intel driver before Mir support was removed).

In the end, I'm not too worried about fragmentation of Linux ecosystems, since most games will rely on SDL 2, and many already do. SDL 2 has Xserver, Wayland, Mir and many other backends...

I am optimistic. Beyond the modern display server, Ubuntu will remain a Linux distro at its core for the foreseeable future, the kernel, utilities, drivers, directories layout... will remain just the same, until someone decides to change it.
Some distributions already diverge from the majority of distros out there in a radical manner (different init systems, different packages handling or lack thereof, different ways to support multiple architectures...), and this is still not a big deal.

I expect Ubuntu to offer good legacy options for some time after Mir becomes default, and we all know they don't rush radical changes. Besides this, they have experience with a wide range of flavours and a massive community already.

I will not assume anything about any drop of Ubuntu use, and subsequent impact on Linux in general.
I'm just curious about what happens next, and I can guarantee that we, at GOG, will keep offering an enthusiastic support for this operating system.
linuxvangog: There were very few of them :) What do you play recently?
jorlin: a bit late, but still:
- Fran Bow
- Deadnaut
- Don' t Starve
- Desktop Dungeons
- Lords of Xulima
- Crypt of the Necro Dancer
Yes, that' s about it
All those should work just fine on 16.04 and if they didn't I would've been informed about them not working since for 5 of those games I deal with the developers directly :)
Post edited April 26, 2016 by JudasIscariot