It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Destination: 2000 | the year John Romero aimed to makes us all its bitches (aka Daikatana), American McGee's Alice, Thief II, No One Lives Forever
Travel time: January-February 2022
Travel guide: link
Other travels: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999

List of Games:
1nsane
Aliens vs Predator Gold
• American McGee’s Alice
Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn
• Blair Witch Volume 1: Rustin Parr
• Blair Witch Volume 2: The Legend of Coffin Rock
• Blair Witch Volume 3: The Elly Kedward Tale
Carmageddon TDR 2000
• Colin McRae Rally 2.0
• Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Crime Cities
• Crimson Skies
Daikatana
Dark Reign 2
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Deux Ex
• The Devil Inside
• Diablo II
• Dino Crisis 2
• Driver 2
Escape from Monkey Island
Europa Universalis
• Evil Dead: Hail to the King
• Fear Effect
• Fifa 2001
• Final Fantasy IX
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
• Grandia II
• Gunman Chronicles
• Heavy Metal F.A.K.K.2
Hitman: Codename 47
Homeworld: Cataclysm (renamed to Homeworld: Emergence)
Icewind Dale
Jackrabbit 2: The Christmas Chronicles
• Jet Set Radio
The King of Fighters 2000
• Kiss: Psycho Circus, the Nightmare Child
• The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
MDK 2
• MechWarrior 4: Vengeance
• Medal of Honor: Underground
• MediEvil II
Messiah
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Slug 3
• Midnight Club: Street Racing
• Midtown Madness 2
• Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
• Nightmare Creatures II
• The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Nox
• Perfect Dark
• Project I.G.I.: I'm Going In
Quake III: Team Arena
Real Myst
• Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Rune
Sacrifice
• Shogun: Total War
SimCity 3000: Unlimited
• The Sims
Soldier of Fortune
• Speed Busters: American Highways
Star Trek: Armada
• Start Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen
• Star Trek: Klingon Academy
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
Summoner
Thief II: The Metal Age
Tomb Raider: Chronicles
• Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
• Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Unreal Tournament GOTY
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

Time travellers:
• bluethief (★ Crime Cities, ★ Daikatana)
• ciemnogrodzianin (☆ Hitman: Codename 47)
• InkPanther (★ Icewind Dale, ☆ Homeworld: Emergence)
• tag+ (☆ Metal Slug 3)
• Zimerius (☆ Shogun : Total War)

☆ – games played / declared to be played
★ – games completed

As per usual the list of games was built on the basis of GOG's data. Any help with adding missing titles and removing those belonging to other years are greatly appreciated.
Post edited February 27, 2022 by bluethief
bluethief: Destination: 2000 | the year John Romero aimed to makes us all its ******* (aka Daikatana), American McGee's
Oh no, is "bitches" a verboten word?
bluethief: Destination: 2000 | the year John Romero aimed to makes us all its ******* (aka Daikatana), American McGee's
PetrusOctavianus: Oh no, is "bitches" a verboten word?
Not sure, but I didn't want to risk it so I played it safe.
bluethief: Not sure, but I didn't want to risk it so I played it safe.
it's not
He he, very safe. :-)
JackknifeJohnson: it's not
Well in that case it's not censored anymore!! Thank you!
Some great games on the list!

Recently I played:
Metal Slug series - definitely worth to try, short little gems and a lot of mindless fun :D
Deus Ex - played a lot years ago, as a kid, but actually started again and completed the game in 2018; it's still great story and it also offers decent gameplay, the game aged, but it's still a pleasure to play (I loved that freedom of choice, being able to choose between stealth and brute force solutions, so different from today's heavily scripted games and limited paths)

It would be great to finally play Rune, but for some reason it's almost never on sale (yes, once again, no discount during the Winter Sale)...
I played Star Trek Voyager: Elite force for the first time in September. It's fun, but I think it's a bit overrated, like many Star Trek products. It's very linear and pretty short (took me about ten hours), and often you just stick to using one type of weapon. It's got some nice touches, e.g. there's a long section which you can do stealthily, without any combat at all. But on the whole it's pretty basic. And the story is really ridiculous, and feels very much like fan service, since they crammed pretty much everything (the Borg, species 2472, the mirror universe, Klingons etc.) into it.

Other games from 2000 I've played:
- Baldur's Gate 2: was my favourite game at the time. I think I've played it too often, and may never be able to look at it again. Its flaws are more obvious to me now, and I think its quest design is often quite poor, denying you choices you should have. But still a crpg classic one should have at least tried, if one likes the genre.
- Deus Ex: played it for the first time a few years ago. Not without flaws, enemy AI is pretty bad, some skills aren't very useful etc. But it's still a great experience, especially when played on "realistic". There are mods which supposedly improve it, but so far I haven't tried them.
- Icewind Dale: Baldur's Gate's combat-focused little brother. It's got some of the same flaws (character customization is pretty limited), but still pretty fun, and looks gorgeous imo.
- Thief 2: probably the best game in the Thief trilogy, highly recommended.
- Giants Citizen Kabuto: Played this in 2020 (or at least two thirds of it, lost interest in the final campaign). Very funny game with some unique gameplay. Didn't like the base-building missions which imo are highly tedious, but rest was great fun, would definitely recommend it, if you want some light-hearted action.
Post edited January 03, 2022 by morolf
Happy New Year bluethief & thanks for creating the 2000 thread.

Please sign me up with Metal Slug 3. I still have pending entries on the other threads that will happen thanks to the time machine assistance :)

From the listing, it seems
Unreal Tournament GOTY
is missing.

Thanks in advance!
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 was also released in 2000.

SimCity 3000 technically is from 1999 but GOG lists Unlimited version so it could work for both years I suppose.

It's the same iwth UT GOTY mentioned by tag+. It was released in 1999 but GOTY version is from 2000.

---

I was trying to make characters for Icewind Dale EE lately and let me tell you, if you're a newbie like me and you're trying to create a decent party, you are screwed. I had to do a lot of googling because the game provides hardly any info about what's important during character creation. And everybody is posting those builds and advanced suggestions for late game while I'd like just some basic stuff. sigh
InkPanther: I was trying to make characters for Icewind Dale EE lately and let me tell you, if you're a newbie like me and you're trying to create a decent party, you are screwed. I had to do a lot of googling because the game provides hardly any info about what's important during character creation. And everybody is posting those builds and advanced suggestions for late game while I'd like just some basic stuff. sigh
Unless they changed things fundamentally in the EE, it's not that difficult creating a viable party in Icewind Dale imo.
I did well with the following party: 3 tanks (two fighters, one paladin - the latter can be your high charisma character for talking to vendors), 1 fighter/thief (for scouting/backstabbing, sniping - get him some decent long bow, disarming traps/lockpicking), 1 cleric (healing/buffing), 1 mage (crowd control, identifying, some damage spells).
Bards and druids are supposedly useful too, but I never felt the need for them tbh.

And unless you're voluntarily restricting yourself, give your tank characters high stats in str, dex and con (dump charisma, it doesn't have any function for most characters; not sure if wisdom and intelligence have effect on saving throws in Icewind Dale 1, but I think not). Obviously you'll have to somewhat compromise with a paladin because of the high charisma and wisdom requirements, but that's ok.
For cleric, get wisdom to maximum, for mage intelligence. Also get dexterity as high as possible for everybody because of the armor bonus.
Post edited January 03, 2022 by morolf
bluethief: Destination: 2000
(...)
Myst: Masterpiece Edition
(...)
Hello bluethief!

Thank you for continuing the time travel threads!
it reminds me that I still have to post about my last two time travels...

I am pretty sure that you mixed up the release date of "Myst: Masterpiece Edition" (original with still images!), it is actually from the year 1999.
The first "realMYST" (unfortunately not anymore available on GOG.com) was released in 2000, though.

Hmm, still have to think about what I am going to play for this year...

Kind regards,
foxgog
morolf:
I've got a human paladin (cavalier) - google said they don't need high Wisdom so uh... she has 13.
A half-orc kensai with a halberd - because I want to have some fun with the game, and an unarmored chick with a pole arm sounds like fun.
A human sorceress - I have no idea what's the difference between mage and sorcerer, but google says sorc doesn't need high int or char or wis, and doesn't have to find books/scroll to learn spells.
A human bard - every party needs a dude who's going to stand in a corner and sing songs while others are slashing and stabbing and burning enemies to death, right?
An elf archer - for ranged attack, obviously an elf's job.
A dwarf cleric - dwarf for fun, cleric because google says it's helpful to have one against frequent undead encounters?

I had good dice rolls, so they should be ok-ish, but then again, I may have made a mess of other choices. I didn't even bother with dual classes. Yay for building your party based on some random info you could find on the internetz.
morolf:
InkPanther: I've got a human paladin (cavalier) - google said they don't need high Wisdom so uh... she has 13.
A half-orc kensai with a halberd - because I want to have some fun with the game, and an unarmored chick with a pole arm sounds like fun.
A human sorceress - I have no idea what's the difference between mage and sorcerer, but google says sorc doesn't need high int or char or wis, and doesn't have to find books/scroll to learn spells.
A human bard - every party needs a dude who's going to stand in a corner and sing songs while others are slashing and stabbing and burning enemies to death, right?
An elf archer - for ranged attack, obviously an elf's job.
A dwarf cleric - dwarf for fun, cleric because google says it's helpful to have one against frequent undead encounters?

I had good dice rolls, so they should be ok-ish, but then again, I may have made a mess of other choices. I didn't even bother with dual classes. Yay for building your party based on some random info you could find on the internetz.
Baldurs Gate makes for a better start in D&D ( though ) , not to mention the toxicity level of the challenges encountered ( in ID ) << though savescumming will take you a long way << New characters are easily made <<< personally i swear by having at least one bow wielding elven mage in the party <<<< not planning on ruining your timetravel <<<<<< OHA!!!!!!!!!!!

** pounders the option of dating TW Shogun again
*** 1.9 gb for the complete collection! now that's size!!
Post edited January 03, 2022 by Zimerius
Zimerius:
I'm no stranger to savescumming. ;)