It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Destination: 1999 | the year of System Shock 2, STAR WARS Episode I: Racer, Kingpin: Life of Crime
Travel time: November-December 2021
Travel guide: link
Other travels: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998

List of Games:
• Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Age of Wonders
Alien Nations
Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy
Army Men II
Army Men: Toys In Space
Battlezone 98 Redux - The Red Odyssey
Caesar 3
Close Combat 3: The Russian Front
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Corsairs Gold
Crusaders of Might and Magic
Darkstone
Delta Force 2
Dracula Trilogy
• Driver
Dungeon Keeper 2
Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum
Expendable
Freespace 2
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Gorky 17
• Grand Theft Auto 2
• Half-Life: Opposing Force
Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete
Homeworld
Imperialism 2: The Age of Exploration
Imperium Galactica II: Alliances
Independence War Deluxe
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Interstate '82
Jagged Alliance 2
King of Dragon Pass
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Lands of Lore 3
• Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
METAL SLUG X
Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor
Mob Rule Classic
• Mobil 1 Rally Championship
Myst Masterpiece Edition
• Natuk
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Outcast 1.1
Panzer General 3D Assault
Pharaoh + Cleopatra
Planescape: Torment
• Prince of Persia 3D
• Pro 18 World Tour Golf
Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey
Quake III: Arena
Rage of Mages II: Necromancer
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Rayman Forever
Reah: Face the Unknown
Redline
Requiem: Avenging Angel
• Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Revenant
Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe
STAR WARS Episode I: Racer
STAR WARS: X-Wing Alliance
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
Seven Kingdoms 2 HD
Shadow Man
• Shenmue
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack
• Silent Hill
Silver
SimCity 3000
Slave Zero
Star Trek: Hidden Evil
System Shock 2
The Longest Journey
• The Wheel of Time
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Iron Plague
TrickStyle
Tyrian 2000
Ultima 9: Ascension
Unreal Tournament
Urban Chaos
Warcraft II Battle.net Edition
Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War
• Warzone 2100
Worms: Armageddon
X: Gold

Time travellers:
• Cavalary (★ King of Dragon Pass)
• ConsulCaesar (☆ Age of Wonders)
• foxgog (☆ Pro 18 World Tour Golf)
• GamezRanker (☆ Darkstone, ☆ Gabriel Knight 3, ☆ Gorky 17, ☆ Half-Life: Opposing Force, ☆ Septerra Core, ☆ The Longest Journey)
• InkPanther (☆ SimCity 3000, ★ Unreal Tournament)
• Matewis (☆ Caesar 3)
• PaterAlf (☆ Crusaders of Might and Magic)
• PetrusOctavianus (☆ Age of Wonders)

☆ – games played / declared to be played
★ – games completed

As per usual the list of games was built on the basis of GOG's data. Any help with adding missing titles and removing those belonging to other years are greatly appreciated.
Post edited November 08, 2022 by bluethief
Homeworld and Unreal Tournament definitely deserve to be on that list. :P
bluethief: As per usual the list of games was built on the basis of GOG's data. Any help with adding missing titles and removing those belonging to other years are greatly appreciated.
Age of Empires 2, Planescape: Torment and The Longest Journey were huge titles.
Post edited November 01, 2021 by AB2012
This thread is a sign, a sign for me to finally finish Caesar 3. I only have one more campaign level to finish, and come hell of high water I'll do it in November!

By the way, for any fans of the original Tomb Raider and GTA games, I'd like to give a shout out to Urban Chaos. A truly excellent game (if you can master the combat controls.)
Updated the OP with the missing games mentioned by InkPanther and AB2012 (thank you both), as well with others like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Driver, GTA 2 and Silent Hill to name a few.
Matewis: By the way, for any fans of the original Tomb Raider and GTA games, I'd like to give a shout out to Urban Chaos. A truly excellent game (if you can master the combat controls.)
Good call BUT....most of the levels in UC are timed.
Some people love that, but it's a killer for me.
Still though, beautiful looking fast smooth playing game.
Post edited November 01, 2021 by ProzacFreak
Matewis: This thread is a sign, a sign for me to finally finish Caesar 3. I only have one more campaign level to finish, and come hell of high water I'll do it in November!

By the way, for any fans of the original Tomb Raider and GTA games, I'd like to give a shout out to Urban Chaos. A truly excellent game (if you can master the combat controls.)
I still have the original CD for Urban Chaos :). I loved it as a kid.
Matewis: This thread is a sign, a sign for me to finally finish Caesar 3. I only have one more campaign level to finish, and come hell of high water I'll do it in November!

bluethief: I still have the original CD for Urban Chaos :). I loved it as a kid.
I still have the box. :)
ProzacFreak: Good call BUT....most of the levels in UC are timed.
They are? I honestly can't remember that being the case. I remember exploring almost each level at leisure to discover all of the surprisingly well hidden permanent power ups.
It's of course possible that if you trigger certain quest chains then a timer gets activated to complete the quest. E.g. in one of the first levels there is a guy that want's to jump from a building. Once the quest triggers you have more than enough time to get to him, but iirc eventually he'll eventually jump if you wait too long.
ProzacFreak: Good call BUT....most of the levels in UC are timed.
Matewis: They are? I honestly can't remember that being the case. I remember exploring almost each level at leisure to discover all of the surprisingly well hidden permanent power ups.
It's of course possible that if you trigger certain quest chains then a timer gets activated to complete the quest. E.g. in one of the first levels there is a guy that want's to jump from a building. Once the quest triggers you have more than enough time to get to him, but iirc eventually he'll eventually jump if you wait too long.
Hmmmm, it's been years since i played it too
maybe i should try it again
I am currently playing Age of Wonders so I can join this time travel expedition!

I love the visuals and sounds, and how lively each different race feels. The tactical combat mechanic (limited stacking in overworld map that changes to 1-unit-per-tile in a tactical map for each battle, that recreates the terrain and obstacles, including walls or bridges, where the fighting takes place) is so elegant and functional that I am surprised it's not seen more often in modern strategy games.
Post edited November 01, 2021 by ConsulCaesar
1999 was maybe the peak year in PC gaming.
Personally I think the games I've spent the most time on has been Age of Wonders and HoMM 3, thanks to so many brilliant user-made maps, that far surpasses the ones shipped with the games.

And Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is the best of the Civ "family" that I've played and my second favourite 4X game after Master of Orion.

So an extremely strong year for Turn Based Strategy.

And also a year of expansion packs that improved on the base game:
Unreal Mission Pack 1: Return to Na Pali
HoMM 3: Armageddon's Blade
Half-Life: Opposing Force

Of indie games from that year, Tom Proudfoot's Natuk is one of my favourites.

I'm currently playing Age of Wonders myself; a brilliant user-made map called Illuminara.
Post edited November 01, 2021 by PetrusOctavianus
Commandos ammo pack should refer to Commandos: Beyond the call of duty (the expansion, the original Commandos was already released in summer 1998).
Another great year, with many fantastic titles. I doubt I'll get around to replaying any of them soon, but thanks for continuing these threads!

PetrusOctavianus: 1999 was maybe the peak year in PC gaming.
I agree, it's stunning to see how many classics were released. Really reinforces the sense of decline since then :-(
Post edited November 01, 2021 by morolf
Does the OP make one of these threads every week, month?

I love this one.
It makes me feel as old as dirt, but talking about these gems is a blast.
The Wheel of Time
I still have my boxed copy. Wonder if I can get it running under wine...
Post edited November 01, 2021 by gogtrial34987