It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
low rated
No drm is nice and all, but id rather play steam,battle.net and origin games with their platform drms than not play any at all. No offense but the gog library is lacking, no exclusives and even games that already has no drm is still lacking on this platform and can be found on for example drm steam.
high rated
MaxFulvus: You could add itch.io and fireflowergames.com in the drm-free gaming section ^^
Fireflower Games, absolutely.

itch.io, I don't think so. True, the vast majority of the games they offer are DRM-free, but they aren't really enforcing it.
BreOl72: That list of DRM-free music is not complete.
I know, people love to hate Amazon, but the MP3's that you buy there are DRM-free.
You download them, store them on your HDD, burn them on CD, etc. - no restrictions.
the list of DRM free games neither. Fireflower games, for example.

edit.... so much ninjad...
Post edited August 21, 2018 by amok
MaxFulvus: You could add itch.io and fireflowergames.com in the drm-free gaming section ^^
I think they need to be 100% DRM-free in order to qualify.
Itch.io isn't. Not sure about the other one.
saifui: No drm is nice and all, but id rather play steam,battle.net and origin games with their platform drms than not play any at all. No offense but the gog library is lacking, no exclusives and even games that already has no drm is still lacking on this platform and can be found on for example drm steam.
funny part is - according to the definition on that site, several games on Steam are DRM free -
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
Post edited August 21, 2018 by amok
high rated
Traveling; wanna play on steam? Oh, wait, steam needs to update on startup. On your 3G internet. That costs 0.3$/1MB.

Fallout 4 stopped working for me - it turned out the problem appears because you need to block Fallout4.exe in the firewall. Spend over half an hour looking for this solution. For the test, I've downloaded a cracked copy - what ya know, worked flawlessly! But hey, I could always send email to Bethesda support and wait few days for a response.

Games with internet connection required for singleplayer - oh, wait, servers don't work? Tough luck. Servers don't recognize your game license (happens shitton, not for me but look up Fifa problems on Origin)? Oh, well, reinstall the game. And do some other things. Your transfer? We don't care. Your time? We don't care.
high rated
GOG.com: The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means.
People do know, they just don't care.

Bandock: One very good reason to be against DRM is to have a look at what happened to many retail copies that utilized BS DRM like SafeDisc. Since Windows 10 (and later Windows 7/8/8.1), such drivers for SafeDisc and even certain versions of SecuROM were disabled due to their inherent security vulnerabilities that could allow attackers install rootkits.
Those DRM forms should have been illegal, they are literally installing malware on your PC (and I mean literally, not figuratively). Then again, I could argue that Windows itself is malware.
high rated
I fcking love this.

Last Friday night we had our internet die, at the ISP end so nothing we could do, Steam had pending updates and wouldn't even load into offline mode, so thank fck for GOG.

Although it's less of a noticeable thing these days since the vast majority of my purchases are DRM free and we still very much stick to physical media for music and movies.

Good to see this getting pushed, haven't been this excited to see stuff happening in this space since The Gamers Bill Of Rights back in the day.
high rated
This would be great and all, but in my opinion, GOG really isn't there yet... constant annoyances you always hear on the forums:

* Games not getting updates and/or completely abandoned on GOG
* Backup installers not being up to date with the Galaxy version of the game
* Games on GOG generally feeling like an afterthought to Steam (still have Steam references in menus, etc.)

I'm all for GOG's success, I love Galaxy and love DRM-free, I buy a crap ton of games on here, but GOG has a long way to go to get rock solid developer support to the point where when you buy something here, you've got the confidence to know it's going to be a solid experience... in the end you have to ask yourself: what good is a DRM-free version of the game if it's not even up-to-date?

I don't know if it's just developers not caring about the DRM-free builds cause of piracy, or if it's a numbers game and Steam has the majority or a little bit of both

Heck, I even have some games here on GOG that are out of date and the DRM-free "bonus" build on the Humble Store is more up-to-date than what's here (Hyper Light Drifter comes to mind)... that's sad
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Mawthra
low rated
don't like the name. didn't expect that from a proper store front. have some self respect.
high rated
saifui: No drm is nice and all, but id rather play steam,battle.net and origin games with their platform drms than not play any at all. No offense but the gog library is lacking, no exclusives and even games that already has no drm is still lacking on this platform and can be found on for example drm steam.
amok: funny part is - according to the definition on that site, several games on Steam are DRM free -
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
While the games are DRM Free, if your run them through the default methods (such as the steam created desktop icon) they launch via Steam and will enact DRM functions.
It will note the Process ID and kill the game if another game from that account is launched
It will still activate the Library lock for Family sharing.

Steam, the client, is DRM.
high rated
There's a quote from Gabe bloody Newell!

Considering he's one of the key people in tricking people into not caring about DRM it's pretty funny.
high rated
Probably one of the most disturbing scandals is when Sony supplied audio CDs with DRM called XCP that literally installed a rootkit on any system that had such discs inserted. They literally got in serious trouble over that. It's bad enough DRM affected games and movies, but never expected audio CDs to also get caught.
low rated
Ha, the irony here must be messing up compasses for miles about. Not only do you not promote a sensible, professional from to anti drm, i.e. by using barely concealed swearwords, you have thaudacity to talk about drm free when things like Gwent, Absolver, goblins inc. etc. Are stretching the bounds of what can be called drm free. Go on, please do show us all how I can back up offline and play without internet, Gwent.
high rated
Stallman was right.