It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
high rated
ZFR: But what does FCK stand for?
Free your Computer from drm, oK?

It's recursive, like GNU.

EDIT: OK, two additional points:
1) given that they lead with calling DRM a "killswitch" that clearly should go into whatever they backronym FCK to mean

2) Your contact email for this is I want to fck DRM. That's some Silent Horses playing, Buffalo Bill tier creepy obsession.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by OneFiercePuppy
high rated
Letting everyone know that even though I had it on Steam for years, I rebought Elder Scrolls Oblivion here. Because Fck DRM.
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
Yup but everyone knows what buy is, other words might confuse them :D
Steam has a nice one: subscription

Basically subscription is a form of a recurring payment .....

in Dutch its called abonnement and than usally means you pay either for a year or monthly , money will be deducted from your account ( bank. giro...) so steam is wrong about that cause we don not pay a fee to insatll the client, we do not pay monthly or on a year base, we buy games when we order games and downlaod them after we paid, so Steam is DRM.... it doesnt say we own the game, if steam +++++ bye bye games that need steam to run ( online checking included) so i wonder why they are on the FCK site?

check screenshot.png
Mr.Caine: What a juvenile marketting stunt. But it's perfect for GOG's audience who only wants to be pandered to.
Care to elaborate? I don’t see anything juvenile about the linked website of the initiative and the initiative as a whole. Making an edgy comment, implying that GOG’s customers are gullible idiots doesn’t really cut it if you wanted to make a point.
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
gamesfreak64: Yup but everyone knows what buy is, other words might confuse them :D

in Dutch its called abonnement and than usally means you pay either for a year or monthly , money will be deducted from your account
It’s also called Abonnement in German, or Abo in short. Subscription (service) is the perfectly fine English equivalent of that.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by 4-vektor
GOG.com: To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Good site that explains the issue clearly. As others have commented though, you obviously forgot the "u" when registering the domain... ;-)
low rated
GOG.com: [...]
The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means.
[...]
soooo..... what exactly is DRM then?

(today it means "everything I personally do not like" - right?"
Mr.Caine: What a juvenile marketting stunt. But it's perfect for GOG's audience who only wants to be pandered to.
4-vektor: Care to elaborate? I don’t see anything juvenile about the linked website of the initiative and the initiative as a whole. Making an edgy comment, implying that GOG’s customers are gullible idiots doesn’t really cut it if you wanted to make a point.
gamesfreak64: Yup but everyone knows what buy is, other words might confuse them :D

in Dutch its called abonnement and than usally means you pay either for a year or monthly , money will be deducted from your account
4-vektor: It’s also called Abonnement in German, or Abo in short. Subscription (service) is the perfectly fine English equivalent of that.
Nice to know its the same ,, watching some Derrick and Tatort series in the past and now Cobra 11 which is more fun then the previous series Derrick / Tatort, we pcik up some words.

mike_cesara: Well, I didn't win my d*ck on lottery..
Beside that I fully agree with the initiative.
d*ck ?????
if you refer to the word you can use it without * cause its a common name for a guy: Dick
the other meaning is slang , it depends on how you put something in context

Google:

Dick is a common English language dysphemism used for a variety of slang purposes, some generally considered ...
Anyway, we dont have that problem in Dutch language, cause Dick is like in Dick Tracey, Dick van Dyke, .....
nothing to laugh or be angry about.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by gamesfreak64
high rated
I don't like the name, to be honest.
high rated
That list of DRM-free music is not complete.
I know, people love to hate Amazon, but the MP3's that you buy there are DRM-free.
You download them, store them on your HDD, burn them on CD, etc. - no restrictions.
high rated
You could add itch.io and fireflowergames.com in the drm-free gaming section ^^
GOG.com: To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
AB2012: Good site that explains the issue clearly. As others have commented though, you obviously forgot the "u" when registering the domain... ;-)
Maybe not cause with the easily offended generation we have today... they might remove the domain name, you never know with all the goody two shoes nowadays..... :D
high rated
One very good reason to be against DRM is to have a look at what happened to many retail copies that utilized BS DRM like SafeDisc. Since Windows 10 (and later Windows 7/8/8.1), such drivers for SafeDisc and even certain versions of SecuROM were disabled due to their inherent security vulnerabilities that could allow attackers install rootkits.

Because of that, most of the SafeDisc and even some SecuROM games now no longer work unless you search for cracks or tools (the latter most often require Windows 95/98 to even work). Some games are nice enough to remove it through a patch (like Imperium Galactica II), but not all do. Having DRM-free avenues like GOG.com is great.

My main reason for having an account on here was due to the fact they opened up a legal avenue to purchase old games again. Especially, for games that are no longer sold anywhere and have become very rare. It's nice to see some rare games become available again. :)

DRM-free with the benefit of digital preservation.
high rated
"Video: Moving Image Archive Vimeo on Demand

FCK DRM is an initiative by GOG.COM to promote DRM-free art and media."

I find it amusing that a site basically promoting GOG only doesn't even consider worth mentioning the once-hyped movie section of GOG.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by PixelBoy
AB2012: Good site that explains the issue clearly. As others have commented though, you obviously forgot the "u" when registering the domain... ;-)
what if its not allowed? today we have too many goody two shoes and before you know it the site is taken down, reported or renamed to prevent easily offended people to report it.
Thanks, anything that keeps this issue up front is welcome! It's why my Steam purchases have turned into a trickle, while I spent more in the last GOG sale than in any other sale in the past, Steam or otherwise.

One of the many DRM problems I encountered: https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/2013/11/why-i-hate-drm-i-want-to-play.html

Here's another: my run in with crappy Denuvo: https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/2017/01/denuvo-and-dodgy-drm.html

Various other things about crappy #DRM that I have written over the years! Once I had to return a projector because of Macrovision DRM: https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/search?q=drm&max-results=20&by-date=true