It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Geralt_of_Rivia: To bring this thread back on topic: Could I ask for LEGO® Batman 2 DC Super Heroes™ ?
zeogold: All granted.
Thank you for your tireless work in keeping the giveaway running and also thanks to mchack for donating the game.
zeogold: All granted.
Geralt_of_Rivia: Thank you for your tireless work in keeping the giveaway running and also thanks to mchack for donating the game.
You do know that zeo is an android right?

Ask him if you don't believe me.
MarkoH01:
*growls*
No, didn't even read it, too angry at just the thought of what'd be there with the current crowd.
And your post starts by singing praises and then is very apologetic about gently pointing out a few long-term issues that had promised fixes but keep being ignored, including the simple installer toggle thing that was a very specific promise.
And saying what you can means knowing things and not telling them, which is akin to GOG staff's position, not the community's. Though of course the regional pricing issue remains my hill to die on (until there will be DRM (including any sort of requirement for a connection or client, whether for installing or playing or applying patches) on the single player side of a game, but at least then I'm hoping the outrage will crush them, show there is at least that one line they won't be allowed to cross and survive... though sadly I doubt it'll happen even then) and in that case no excuse can count (but yeah, would be funny to see them try to show evidence of their claim of at least trying to push for flat pricing for all but the discount regions). But stuff keeps piling up anyway, it was regional pricing, it was GWENT (its model, more specifically), now it's a growing list of games not getting patched or even getting stripped versions of them here. What next?
Gah!
And the thing is still that they grabbed this idea of doing something right in this rotten industry and ran away with it, blocking any realistic chance of anyone else taking their place once they turned around.
I would love to start off 2018 with a request for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. I hope everyone has a healthy and happy 2018.
Is King's Bounty: Dark Side still available?
May I have Seven Kingdoms 2?
zeogold: To comment on the nomination thing:
I've been thinking about it and I'm not really sure what to do. You guys are right, we don't want it to be unfair. At the same time, I don't want to discourage nominations overall, since that's a fairly ingrained tradition here and arguably important in its own right. I can't think of any rule I could implement that would fix it properly, the best solution I can figure is the "gentleman's agreement" Vyraexii said. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to hearing 'em.

For now, in terms of BenKii's current nomination list, how about this:
I'll inform the nominees that the games are available and they're welcome to come grab them, but won't "reserve" it like is normally done for nominations. Does that work?
If it's ok 2 give my 2 cents on the nomination issue, i do feel that hving unlimited nominations on the 1st day of the month may seem a little unfair if the games r reserved 4 them.

So i think a gd & simple way is 2 limit the no of nominations per pax as well as nominations 2 the games 2 the 3rd day of the month. As 4 how many nominations r allowed, this is entirely up 2 zeogold 2 decide of cos.

This wld solve all the potential unhappiness that may hv arise & other ppl wld still hv a couple of days 2 ask 4 games b4 nominations starts. ;)

P.S: Was actually thinking of asking 4 a Sherlock game as a new yr game gift 4 myself, haha. But since TT_TT_TT_TT was nominated 4 it already i think it's only right that he gets the chance 2 get (or refused) the game 1st.
Anyway, happy NY 2 all. Hope 2018 will be a better 4 u all than 2017, cheers! ^_^
Post edited January 01, 2018 by tomyam80
Cavalary: *growls*
No, didn't even read it, too angry at just the thought of what'd be there with the current crowd.
And your post starts by singing praises and then is very apologetic about gently pointing out a few long-term issues that had promised fixes but keep being ignored, including the simple installer toggle thing that was a very specific promise.
It's called diplomacy. Maybe people should start trying this instead of just ranting and complaining every day. And just to make it perfectly clear: in opposite to many of the people with complaints here I still do see the good things GOG is doing so it was not even a lie when I cogratulated them.

Cavalary: And saying what you can means knowing things and not telling them, which is akin to GOG staff's position, not the community's.
It's called NDA and it's called business practice. The alternative was to not even be able to talk openly to them at all. But like I said - maybe we should have just kept our mouth shut completely instead of telling people what we were allowed to say. We wanted to help the community buy giving a little more information but obviously this community - or at least part of it - prefers it to be kept in the dark completely. I never did take any side (no matter of what you accusing me) I only see facts, complaints and possibilitys.

Cavalary: would be funny to see them try to show evidence of their claim of at least trying to push for flat pricing for all but the discount regions).
How could they show you evidence of that? Do you really expect them to show you a copy of their contract talks? I hate to break it to you but it is GOG's obligation to sell you a game they offer to you. Telling you everything other than that about their business (which in most big companys is confidental) is not usual at all.

Cavalary: it was regional pricing,
Which is not here because of GOG - proven by the fact that they are paying the difference out of their pocket.

Cavalary: it was GWENT (its model, more specifically),
Agreed though it woould still be kind of funny if a CDPR game would not be on their own store. They must have known that people would react this way but I don't expect them to remove their own game. Still it is ONE game out of over 2000 - I don't see any trend here.

Cavalary: now it's a growing list of games not getting patched or even getting stripped versions of them here. What next?
Tha''s nothing new at all and it's not GOG's fault alone. Just think a moment about the things GOG could do here. Spoiler: not much without jeopardizing future partnerships.

Cavalary: And the thing is still that they grabbed this idea of doing something right in this rotten industry and ran away with it, blocking any realistic chance of anyone else taking their place once they turned around.
And you REALLY think that this certain "anyone" would do it different just to please his customers and end up without a store at all ... ? I don't think so. So how about bringing actual solutions to the table instead of simply saying "all they did is wrong"? I mean solutions that actually are managable.

With that being said: That's all I wil say to this. You obviously are not able or willing to look at this in a pure logical and economical way. In business you sometimes will have to make a compromise just to to survive and every busines needs to grow to be able to survive. That is a simple economic fact.
Post edited January 01, 2018 by MarkoH01
Cavalary: snip
MarkoH01: snip
Even as someone prone to tangents, I think this particularly line of conversation is best had elsewhere to avoid derailing, since the GA is about the community of users rather than GOG policy or as a company.

On the matter of nominations, particularly as someone who recently benefited, I totally appreciate where Benkii is coming from, and I hope he's not taking this response from folks as a poke at his effort and thoughtfulness.

I guess my POV is similar to the fairest of all foxens, in that if I were ruler of GOGworld I'd just cap nominations at 1-3 per week or per month or whatever is easiest for zeo to administer/track/enforce. That way people are still free to nominate in cases they feel strongly about, yet without blowing out the supply of in-demand games in a moment en masse.

It also reduces the number of people the mod has to chase down (harder with default chat settings) to see if they're interested vs. people who have directly indicated interest.

Personally I think noms are an important part of drawing new people (and bringing back people who had wandered off), but balance/ease/fairness are considerations too.
Also keep in mind that we want TGCA to be not-so-much for zeo to manage. He's already doing a lot and to increase his workload on how to manage the GA is not cool. Him having to keep track of how many games a user nominated and when or whatever else is a bunch of stuff that should be avoided as much as possible. I don't think there needs to be a rule. Common sense, dialogue discussion, and simply "working things out" makes sense (which is how it seems to have gone and I think is great! That's how good community works!)

I like the idea of people who want to nominate someone simply sending those people a PM and notifying them a game they think they might want is available (I like this the best.) I like the idea of not being able to make nominations for the 1st week of a new month. I like the idea of # of nominations being limited in a month (to like 3 or 5?) I like the idea of being able to nominate someone but that nomination doesn't reserve the game or trigger zeo PMing the nominee about it. To elaborate on that last idea:

perhaps the nominations could only be something that get "resolved" after the month is over. I nominate someone for whatever game on the 10th of the month but zeo doesn't TELL them about it with a PM saying "hey do you want this game?!" until the 1st of the next month and then if they accept it gets counted towards their taken game for the NEW month (which would have a bunch of, I think, positive reverberations.) that allows them to come to asking for the game on their own, or someone else who actively wants the game to get preference for it

but that adds more work for zeo to keep track of things, and I also see the point about how that could become grudgy in a way, BUT, I don't think that necessary means it shouldn't be done. That could allow people to learn how to be happy for others despite what they didn't get for themselves. *shrug*
Post edited January 01, 2018 by drealmer7
deleted
Fairfox: I feel we should be best friends?
Erm, i wld be honored but perhaps u can start by adding me as friends 1st? Lol.
high rated
zeogold: For now, in terms of BenKii's current nomination list, how about this:
I'll inform the nominees that the games are available and they're welcome to come grab them, but won't "reserve" it like is normally done for nominations. Does that work?
Cavalary: That's an interesting idea, but it may result in a fair amount of disappointment and maybe even grudges, because if people are nominated for a game but that doesn't result in it being reserved for them, everyone else sees that those games are likely to be gone very soon, so if anyone who sees that has any interest in one and isn't particularly keen to defer to the nominee, they'll likely jump on it even if they were only barely considering it before, leaving the nominee with nothing by the time they'll see the message. So if a nomination will essentially become a notification that a wishlisted game is available, shouldn't the nominator try to do that first (assuming chat is public - otherwise you won't normally be able to do it either)?
You have a fair point, although my idea was just for this one particular time as an exception since it was a big list at the beginning of a new month.

As for your suggestions, it doesn't sound too complicated. It seems to basically boil down to "let Zeo determine what nomination does and doesn't work", which could work, I'd just have to be particularly careful about how I think it through.
zeogold: To comment on the nomination thing:
I've been thinking about it and I'm not really sure what to do. You guys are right, we don't want it to be unfair. At the same time, I don't want to discourage nominations overall, since that's a fairly ingrained tradition here and arguably important in its own right. I can't think of any rule I could implement that would fix it properly, the best solution I can figure is the "gentleman's agreement" Vyraexii said. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to hearing 'em.
I have seen a couple of these nomination list drops now in this thread and think they should be discouraged. They don't appear to be compatible with the good spirit of this community giveaway.

It's maybe not necessarily the amount of nominations, but the way they are done.
The way people are creative when asking for a game they want or when nominating others and the way they are grateful when receiving them, for me is one of the most enjoyable things about this thread.
Please put some effort in your nomination. Tell us more about that awesome super nice, poor, helpful, funny, colourful, unique, creative, hard working... person you know and why you think they would be happy about or would want a particular game.

For Example: I Nominate zeogold For BIT.TRIP FATE. Rumour has it, that it is on his wish list. Although he might have no time to play it, for maintaining this thread seems to take up quite a bit of his free time, it's a nice gesture of appreciation for the work of his nonetheless.

The nominator could perhaps be encouraged by thread rule/guideline to make such a case for the nominated, just like anyone would normally do when asking for a game here for themselves.
This way a monthly nomination limit might not be necessary.

Happy New Year everyone! :)
high rated
BenKii: It appears my latest list of nominations has offended some people here and for that I apologize. The only reason I do these nomination lists is because I thought people (especially the ones that got nominated) liked it but if the community as a whole wishes it, then I'll refrain from any further nominations on the CG. Many thanks to zeogold for keeping this giveaway going and I wish everyone on Gog a happy new year. :)
I don't believe anybody wishes for you to refrain from nominations in general. People still appreciate it and it's obvious you put a good amount of effort into looking up peoples' wishlists and seeing what might suit them. The only thing that anyone's worried about is nominating such a large number of people right on the very first day of a new month.
tinyE: You do know that zeo is an android right?

Ask him if you don't believe me.
Hey, at least I'm not an iPhone.
SnuggleRays: *snip*
You make a pretty good point.

Also, to all the people who nominated me for BIT.TRIP., I suppose it'd be a bit rude of me not to respond (albeit late), but I avoid taking games from here since people are usually spending money specifically for the giveaway. Maybe I'll bite if a good while passes, nobody seems interested in it, and the donor's ok with it.
Post edited January 02, 2018 by zeogold