It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

daedaliavallis: On what part of my forehead is tattooed "born yesterday?"

This is bad enough online, but when I answer the door I'm getting really tired of the "is your mom or dad at home?" with me right in front of them with my giant gray streaks.

First, I am closer to 40 than 20..

Secondly, every time I complain about this IRL I get told 'oh it's a compliment!'. It is not a compliment to a millennial and I'm no where near old enough to find it complimentary anyway.

Lastly, they always look so surprised when they find I'm not an easy sell. If it keeps up I'm just going to say "no, my parents are DEAD!!" and close the door on them.

Bonus: walking in to buy a new work shirt and get shown the children's uniforms and asked what size I wear.
tinyE: I actually enjoy that. I'm a 42 year old owner and operator of a B&B but I have long long blond hair and am usually wearing something like an Iron Maiden shirt.
It never gets old when someone asks, "Can I please speak to the owner?" and I reply, "You are!" :D
That might be fun. I imagine it's an american millennial thing. I've struggled with being accepted as an adult for most of my adult life despite being married and living in my own home the last three years so it's particularly bothersome now that my gray hair is consolidating.

Then there's the part where it's like "SURE! I'd love to be 18 again and do all the things I didn't get to do and now never can because everything was so bad when I was!" and it just rubs it in some more.
tinyE: I actually enjoy that. I'm a 42 year old owner and operator of a B&B but I have long long blond hair and am usually wearing something like an Iron Maiden shirt.
It never gets old when someone asks, "Can I please speak to the owner?" and I reply, "You are!" :D
daedaliavallis: That might be fun. I imagine it's an american millennial thing. I've struggled with being accepted as an adult for most of my adult life despite being married and living in my own home the last three years so it's particularly bothersome now that my gray hair is consolidating.

Then there's the part where it's like "SURE! I'd love to be 18 again and do all the things I didn't get to do and now never can because everything was so bad when I was!" and it just rubs it in some more.
meh, who wants to be an adult?

Adults created the atomic bomb, telemarketing, and elevator music.

Screw em.
dtgreene: There's a certain three-letter acronym, common in some of the more "political" threads, that I think should be banned, because it's pretty much always used in a derogatory fashion when it's used.

(Note that I have a policy of downvoting any post that uses that three-letter acronym, and that I won't post it or to the link to the thread in question here. I will note that the acronym is not RPG, FPS, RTS, RTA, or anything of that sort.)
I came upon some strange instances of NPC being used as derogatory acronym, but I only know it as meaning "Non-Player Character' in roleplaying games and I haven't the faintest clue why people treat NPC as a derogatory term. I'm missing some context here.

And now there's the 'Acronym that shouldn't be spoken of' that's derogatory. Let's call it AWN (Acronym without name). It gets ever more confusing (and I'm not even recovered from the whole idea that fighting for social justice is something that's apparently wrong). *confused*
DubConqueror: I came upon some strange instances of NPC being used as derogatory acronym, but I only know it as meaning "Non-Player Character' in roleplaying games and I haven't the faintest clue why people treat NPC as a derogatory term. I'm missing some context here.
It's the current rage in the extreme right (you notice they always share some limited, codified vocabulary, serving as identifiers and discourse validation). It's a straightforward deshumanizing one : there are real people, like player characters, and mindless drones, like NPCs. "Not real people", if you want. You know, historically, what this kind of rhetorics facilitates, enables and justifies. And what its appeal is.
DubConqueror: I came upon some strange instances of NPC being used as derogatory acronym, but I only know it as meaning "Non-Player Character' in roleplaying games and I haven't the faintest clue why people treat NPC as a derogatory term. I'm missing some context here.
Telika: It's the current rage in the extreme right (you notice they always share some limited, codified vocabulary, serving as identifiers and discourse validation). It's a straightforward deshumanizing one : there are real people, like player characters, and mindless drones, like NPCs. "Not real people", if you want. You know, historically, what this kind of rhetorics facilitates, enables and justifies. And what its appeal is.
My mother gets the Weekly Standard. last week the cover story was about loss of civility in America and the the WHILE FUC&ING ARTICLE was about the left.

There wasn't one mention of it coming from the right.

I'm reading Yahoo comments right now about Justice Ginsberg's hospitalization. It's a little hard for me to swallow how the left has become so volatile and classless when I'm reading, "Rot in hell bitch" and "Another dead lib, put em all in the showers".

Last month Pearl Jam released a song condemning the right called "You can't deny me". Yesterday Ted Nugent released a song condemning the left called "Michigan is Turning Into a Pile of Shit".
You tell me who's being more civil? :P
Post edited November 08, 2018 by tinyE
The Onion posted another article titled "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
". This seems to be happening way too often lately; in fact, looking at the recommended stories, all 9 of them have the same headline (and probably mostly the same text).

Could this stop, please?
dtgreene: The Onion posted another article titled "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
". This seems to be happening way too often lately; in fact, looking at the recommended stories, all 9 of them have the same headline (and probably mostly the same text).

Could this stop, please?
The NRA controls the right, the right controls the country.

Sorry. It's not going to stop.
dtgreene: The Onion posted another article titled "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Could this stop, please?
tinyE: The NRA controls the right, the right controls the country.

The right to bear arms is one that a large variety of people support.
tinyE: The NRA controls the right, the right controls the country.

Spectre: The right to bear arms is one that a large variety of people support.
One that I'm fine with. It's the right to bare assault rifles(especially without any kind of comprehensive checks) that I have a problem with.

Shit, I have a gun, I have three, a pistol and two rifles. Under the regulations that David Hogg's organization has requested I can continue to own them and use them as I do. I'm 21, I would pass a universal background check (if given one), and none of the three guns is a semi-automatic to automatic assault rifle. Too many people associate regulation with an outright ban. That's nuts. And yes there are a few members of the left who thing all firearms, including super soakers, should be banned, but there are also members of the right who think the Holocaust didn't happen. These are the extremist, and ever side has them. I won't lump you in with yours if you don't lump me in with mine.

ps. and we are waaaay off topic, but anyone here who is a firearm historian, one of my rifles is a Belgian model, gold inlay from the turn of the century. You should see this thing. It's a fucking work of art. My granddad, who was born in the 1880s used it for quail hunting and has this gorgeous scene of quail flying off from a wood, all etched in gold on the stock.
Post edited November 09, 2018 by tinyE
robky: i know it's very stereotypical of me to say that parents don't understand me, however, the generation gap is huge, and i'm extremely different rather than what childhood they had, for starters, they weren't bullied into isolation and relied on the internet and in process destroyed whatever few social skills that were there, and before anyone asks, i'm 19, and yes i know, i should just get my !@#$ straight and move out, right? as if that helps anything and suddently make me not lonely and happy.
At that age you still have time to work around the issues or become a buddhist. :p
Spectre: The right to bear arms is one that a large variety of people support.
tinyE: One that I'm fine with. It's the right to bare assault rifles I have a problem with.
You brought up political groups first. The 2nd amendment covers many guns including rifles and it is a slippery slope if you look at other countries.
It's just a new word for the sheeple or people parroting politics. Certain groups of people really hate it because it shows them up for mindlessly following harmful trends or moronic comments like business can do whatever they want because they're not the government. You can probably think of some more.

Twitter even had to resort to censorship yet again because it had become so popular.

Back to bitching, I found this while trying to fix the umpteenth retarded PC problem. It is a good example of idiots in support who need to be dealt with. My only criticism is that he should have used cronyism instead of nepotism.

ElderN

This reply is impossible to be the "Answer".

If the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer alleged "expert" had taken 10 seconds to try their own advice they would see that gdiplus.dll is a file that cannot be registered:

Just because a file has a .dll extension does not mean the file is registerable.

This alleged "Answer" demonstrates the rampant answer marking nepotism that the MS Answers forum "owners" allow...

Answer Marking Nepotism works like this:

When one Microsoft engaged alleged "expert" replies to a topic, if the topic goes idle for 5-10 days another Microsoft engaged alleged "expert" will mark that reply as the "Answer" even if the reply is untested, impossible to work, doesn't make sense - it doesn't even have to be close. It IS the "Answer".

In the case it took only 7 days for automatic answer marking nepotism to kick in. This is very likely how these alleged "experts" are able to keep up their answer performance quota... marking each others replies as answers seems like excellent job security. They certainly are "experts" at that.

Since this practice of answer marking nepotism has been allowed to go on for many years one can only imagine the thousands and thousands and thousands of "Answers" that have polluted the community that are not answers at all.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.
Post edited November 09, 2018 by Spectre

Post edited November 25, 2018 by Fairfox
First huge blizzard of the season. That's not the bitch,

The bitch is I've lost power three times in the past ten minutes. My DirectTV keeps resetting.

This is getting really annoying.
My theory:

The three-letter acronym I was referring to is pretty much always used in a derogatory fashion; hence, it is likely that some websites have banned it. For this reason, those people who would use such an acronym looked for another acronym, one that's less likely to be banned, hence NPC. NPC has a legitimate use in many contexts, including when talking about non-playe characters in RPGs (or other games with characters); hence, they can't really ban that term outright.