It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Two more days left to redeem 17 Steam games DRM-free and grab 300+ deals up to -90%!

For whom the bell tolls? It tolls for the Back to School Sale Finale! You have two more days to get or Connect any games that you've missed, put them in your knapsack, then run back home and pretend you have a tummy ache.

All available deals and collections are now final, bringing the total up to 300+ games, going for as low as -90%. In case you haven't been paying much attention during class, here's a study guide with some of the highlights to help you catch up:

Get your RPG education sorted with the help of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Pillars of Eternity, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. If you're looking to study the classic point' n 'clicks, start with Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Sam & Max Hit the Road, or Monkey Island 2: Special Edition. Feeling a bit restless? Finish your homework and you can dig into some Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition, Victor Vran, or Grim Dawn.

17 GOG Connect titles available — connect your Steam account and add eligible games to your GOG.com library for free. During the remaining two days of the Back to School Sale Finale you can still redeem 17 GOG Connect titles, including:

[i]Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Anno 1404
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
Hotline Miami
Dex
Shadow Warrior 2013[/i]
and more!

Just like last time, these are limited-time offers made possible by our awesome partners!

Ok people, break is over! Make your teachers proud and go back to the Back to School Sale for the educational Finale that will last until Sunday, October 2, 9:59 PM UTC.
Post edited September 30, 2016 by maladr0Id
barleyguy: I get the sense they are just OK games
As somebody who's played all of them, let me tell you that they're fantastic. Solid puzzles, storylines that feel like they could've been written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself, wonderful voice acting (it's the sort of voices I always imagined for Holmes/Watson when reading the stories), and everything only got better as the games went on.
DeMignon: What did you want to get?
Zkuq: I was looking at Sherlock Holmes something, ...
Sorry, can't help you with any spare codes on these. I was close to buy the series myself and after zeogold's praise I definitely will next time they go on sale.
Post edited October 04, 2016 by DeMignon
DeMignon: Sorry, can't help you with any spare codes on these. I was close to buy the series myself and after zeogold's praise I definitely will next time they go on sale.
I haven't played them all yet, but I played Testament of Sherlock and thought it was pretty awesome. Graphics, gameplay, dialogue and voice acting, and especially the multi-tier user interface which lets you cycle between FPP, TPP, and point-n-click modes at any time during gameplay. I vacuumed up the remaining games during the summer sale but haven't tried them yet.
skeletonbow: I vacuumed up the remaining games during the summer sale but haven't tried them yet.
Just know that the old ones are lesser in quality in terms of gameplay/graphics than the newer ones, for obvious reasons (the studio got better as time went on, they got more money, got better technology, etc.). Personally, I'd advise playing the games in order of release, otherwise you might feel a bit jolted going from something like Testament to, say, Secret of the Silver Earring.
skeletonbow: I vacuumed up the remaining games during the summer sale but haven't tried them yet.
zeogold: Just know that the old ones are lesser in quality in terms of gameplay/graphics than the newer ones, for obvious reasons (the studio got better as time went on, they got more money, got better technology, etc.). Personally, I'd advise playing the games in order of release, otherwise you might feel a bit jolted going from something like Testament to, say, Secret of the Silver Earring.
Yep, that's precicely what I plan to do, and my main plan of attack with most video game franchises/series. Playing in reverse even if the storylines aren't tied together (ie: Far Cry) means each game gets progressively less nice looking, less tech, and other factors. I prefer to enjoy the old as much as possible and each one progresses on top of that. Or at least that's the idea anyway. In practice it doesn't work with every single video game series/franchise due to crappy sequels or whatnot from time to time, but it is a good general rule to follow despite exceptions. :)
Wow completely missed the end of the sale, I apparently misread the end date. Probably for the best though it means I'll wait longer for Broforce and DOTT.
Post edited October 04, 2016 by tarasis
oldgameryeah: During this sale I bought these Interplay-games: "STAR TREK™: 25TH ANNIVERSARY, "STAR TREK™: JUDGMENT RITES", "STAR TREK™: STARFLEET ACADEMY" and "TOONSTRUCK". I have not played these games as I just today purchased them. However, they all have high user ratings.
skeletonbow: I grabbed all of the Star Trek games in the Summer Sale. They look good, however they're old-school of the type of game where you need to spend some mandatory time reading the manual with some patience to figure out the user interface and gameplay mechanics in order to play the game. In other words, they don't have the type of intuitive user interfaces that we've come to get used to in recent decades. :) Not uncommon for 90s era games mind you.

I gave the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game a short start up to try it out but then put the idea on temporary hold when I got tripped up by needing the manual. I wasn't in for that level of nostalgia experience at the moment, but I look forward to revisiting it when I'm ready to dig in and go hard-core with the manual. :)
These games especially Judgment Rites and Starfleet Academy aren't too hard to figure out. Most are basic point and click. At first I thought you were talking about manual copy protection needing to look up a word to get into the game.

Anyone got the complete list of games with original price and sale price promos for:

20160926_back_to_school_sale_interplay_byob

and

20160926_back_to_school_sale_lucasarts_collection

I had these bookmarked but got distracted by the recent Political debates and forgot to go through the list to pick out the games I wanted.

These links are now dead so I can't snapshot what was in each.
Post edited October 09, 2016 by TrueDosGamer
Random_Coffee: What Interplay-games are worth picking up? I'm only interested in MDK 2, but I might as well grab a few more to get the biggest discount. I already have MDK, Sacrifice, and Giants CK.
oldgameryeah: During this sale I bought these Interplay-games: "STAR TREK™: 25TH ANNIVERSARY, "STAR TREK™: JUDGMENT RITES", "STAR TREK™: STARFLEET ACADEMY" and "TOONSTRUCK". I have not played these games as I just today purchased them. However, they all have high user ratings.
I haven't tried Toonstruck.

STAR TREK™: 25TH ANNIVERSARY
STAR TREK™: JUDGMENT RITES
STAR TREK™: STARFLEET ACADEMY

But all three of these Star Trek games are great.

The 25th was great back in the day due to the Midi music and seeing the CGI intro of the Star Trek TOS.
Judgment Rites used the same game engine but I believe was more in depth and a great follow up.

Starfleet Academy actual uses real footage from Shatner, Takei, and Koenig so it's a treat for Star Trek fans seeing them in a game. I don't believe any other game that preceded it that I can recall actually used the actual Star Trek actors as video game footage so this elevated the game for me. As for the missions if I recall can be a bit of a struggle.

They also released Chekov's Missions so if you finish Starfleet Academy and want more of it get that as well.

I ended up also buying the actual DVD version which had better full motion video footage than the one found on GOG. Too bad they didn't secure the rights for the superior version just yet.

If GOG wanted to get into the Game Making World it would be interesting to see them take over the rights to Vulcan Fury and make a modern version of that game today as a GOG exclusive. With what they could do today with motion capture they could probably extrapolate all the video footage Nimoy shot and voice work he's done to create a CGI version of him that would look amazing. This game was meant to be the successor of Starfleet Academy had it been completed as it was included as a game trailer promo on the disc. They would have to add some sort of Multiplayer online component to dissuade the pirating from GOG's DRM free games so they would be obligated to buy the actual game to get the full experience on GOG Galaxy.
zeogold: Just know that the old ones are lesser in quality in terms of gameplay/graphics than the newer ones, for obvious reasons (the studio got better as time went on, they got more money, got better technology, etc.). Personally, I'd advise playing the games in order of release, otherwise you might feel a bit jolted going from something like Testament to, say, Secret of the Silver Earring.
skeletonbow: Yep, that's precicely what I plan to do, and my main plan of attack with most video game franchises/series. Playing in reverse even if the storylines aren't tied together (ie: Far Cry) means each game gets progressively less nice looking, less tech, and other factors. I prefer to enjoy the old as much as possible and each one progresses on top of that. Or at least that's the idea anyway. In practice it doesn't work with every single video game series/franchise due to crappy sequels or whatnot from time to time, but it is a good general rule to follow despite exceptions. :)
You also can appreciate how much faster the game runs and how much smoother the graphics are starting from the first game in the series and then the sequels. Now some games may look like crap or play like crap but sometimes it's about the content that matters. There are many DOS games today though quite primitive technologically compared to the bloated CGI fest you get today that give more enjoyment in such a compact form than some modern game of today. Sometimes the remakes are worse. Karateka was a great game back in the day and seeing what Jordan Mechner did with the remake just looked awful and definitely strayed away from what made the original great. He could of done something wonderful with that game and updated to today's technology but instead mangled it into some very kid orientated cartoonish game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyxU_dxzRjc

He could of actually shot footage of the real Mt. Fuji, used real actors / martial artists and real sets and props to elevate this game to keep the original style and also add a more advanced fighting style to it to enhance the game.

It's a shame as he had vision with Prince of Persia as well but kind of drifted into The Last Express style which began to turn me off.

Karateka, Prince of Persia 1, and Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and The Flame will forever be his best masterpieces to gaming history.
TrueDosGamer: ...
He could of done something wonderful with that game and updated to today's technology but instead mangled it into some very kid orientated cartoonish game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyxU_dxzRjc ...
Wow, that looks terrible. Doesn't make me think of anything even remotely close to Karateka. It has all that hand-holding bullshit too, the enemy attacks and the game pauses to tell you what button to press to defend against the attack? Ever retarded.
TrueDosGamer: ...
He could of done something wonderful with that game and updated to today's technology but instead mangled it into some very kid orientated cartoonish game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyxU_dxzRjc ...
skeletonbow: Wow, that looks terrible. Doesn't make me think of anything even remotely close to Karateka. It has all that hand-holding bullshit too, the enemy attacks and the game pauses to tell you what button to press to defend against the attack? Ever retarded.
The sad thing is Jordan Mechner tainted his image soon after Prince of Persia 2. Prince of Persia 3D and The Last Express were purchased even though they really didn't have the same quality of the predecessors. Same goes with Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 and once the 3rd one came out I was scratching my head how this garbage came to be a sequel. The Run button didn't exactly help and random button tapping to get a combo instead of well timed actual combos of special moves.

Either the original game designer simply sold out for profit or they really ran out of ideas on how to make what they made better. I still can't see why he couldn't have updated Karateka and used real live motion capture in HD of actual actors and if possible use the actual background of Mt. Fuji and build an actual set of the palace. Sometimes I wish I had Bill Gates money to buy the rights and do it justice. And then the remake of Prince of Persia for the consoles and the movie that followed and bombed.