It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

System Shock – the fully fledged remake of the groundbreaking original from 1994 is almost here! In just a little bit more than a week (May 30th) we will be able to either discover or rediscover one of the most influential and, simply, one of the best gaming franchises in history.

We are incredibly excited for this upcoming Night Dive Studios’ title and just cannot wait to play it! In fact, we’ve gathered 5 reasons why our employees started speaking in SHODAN’s quotes all day and coming into work in futuristic clothes!

Let’s get to it.

Enhanced graphics and visuals

2023’s System Shock offers a visually stunning upgrade from the original game. Night Dive Studios has painstakingly recreated the haunting and claustrophobic environments of Citadel Station with modern graphics technology. The level of detail in the architecture, lighting effects, and character models look truly remarkable. From the flickering neon signs to the atmospheric shadows, the remake's enhanced visuals promise to immerse players in a more realistic and chilling cyberpunk world than ever before.

Faithful recreation of the original

While the System Shock remake introduces several improvements, it remains true to the core essence of the original game. Night Dive Studios understands the importance of capturing the unique atmosphere, storytelling, and gameplay that made the original System Shock a cult classic. With meticulous attention to detail, the remake faithfully recreates the oppressive and immersive experience of exploring the dark corridors and unraveling the mysteries of Citadel Station. Longtime fans can look forward to reliving the iconic moments while newcomers will have the opportunity to experience the game that defined a genre.

Modernized gameplay mechanics

The remake aims to modernize the gameplay mechanics while preserving the spirit of the original System Shock. Night Dive Studios has listened to player feedback and incorporated improvements to controls, responsiveness, and overall gameplay experience. The updated mechanics offer a smoother and more intuitive interface, allowing players to focus on the immersive storytelling and challenging gameplay. From hacking systems to managing resources, the remake promises to deliver a more accessible yet equally engaging experience for both veterans and newcomers to the series.

Enhanced audio design

Audio design has always played a pivotal role in the System Shock series, creating an atmospheric and spine-chilling experience. The remake takes the audio design to new heights, leveraging advancements in sound technology. The ambient noises, haunting melodies, and bone-chilling sound effects are meticulously crafted to heighten the tension and immerse players in the dystopian world of Citadel Station. The revamped audio design adds an extra layer of immersion, making every footstep, whisper, and distant scream a chilling encounter.

Revitalizing a beloved franchise

System Shock holds a special place in the hearts of gamers and is considered one of the best and most influential games of all time. The remake not only revitalizes the original game but also reintroduces the franchise to a new generation of players. It serves as a testament to the enduring legacy of System Shock and its influence on the gaming industry. By modernizing the visuals, gameplay, and overall experience, Night Dive Studios aims to reignite the passion and excitement surrounding the franchise, ensuring that the timeless appeal of System Shock continues to captivate players for years to come.

And there you have it – May 30th couldn’t come sooner! Also, don’t forget that with every purchase of the System Shock’s pre-order you receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition as a gift once it's released.

Are you excited just as we are? Anything you look forward to the most? Let us know before we all start exploring Citadel Station!
high rated
Have we actually found the one person on Earth who prefers the floppy version over the CD?
andysheets1975: Have we actually found the one person on Earth who prefers the floppy version over the CD?
Dunno, I own both, like the CD-ROM release more.
Gudadantza: In summary, the supposed discordancies are between the floppy and CD versions

Anyways as whole series, SHODAN is a woman (artificial) even because of the continuity and plot. It should make the "he" in the floppy version not so really relevant or critical. (the "it" would be accurate, though)
If you play they the version which is available on this very site, which the material I linked in my previous posts belong to, SHODAN is addressed as HE, you see, just because some random dude or dudette decides to keep wiki page doesn't mean that's the truth or is impartial or knowledgeable, check for yourself, play the game.
The NDS Enhanced edition features Spoken logs which the floppy disk lacks, so as you can see, that fandom wiki page is wrong and its keeper is biased, believe it or not, she's the same author of a mod that switches the pronouns with feminine ones...

I had this exact discussion multiple times the last one with that woman who keeps that page, believe me or not, after I proved her wrong multiple times she ran to edit the page in its current form, still inexact but ..
While she was at it she took a few extra step calling me and my family names for having shattered into pieces the mental image of the game she built along the years...
Judicat0r: Well you can't selectively take what fits your narrative and scrap other facts, if it is addressed as it or him in along the game and in the game's paperwork then there's not much at debate.
Time4Tea: I'm not being selective about anything, I just don't agree with you. Your first link didn't work for me. The second one to me clearly looks female. On your side, you seem rather quick to disregard the VA; however, I would argue the VA plays a huge part in how the character is depicted in-game.

Besides that, I will point out that on that wiki page it says: Gender: Female. So, you seem to be at odds with the accepted position of the System Shock fan base. But yeah, feel free to carry on with your crusade ...
LOL. The same wiki I confronted the keeper's and then she immediately ran to fix by copying and pasting my exact words, oh boy, the irony....

That's some weird, yet again, selective fact-ignoring.
Trying hard to come up with anything to fit your narrative eh?
That page refers as SHODAN in both games, where in SS2 it is clearly end explicitly depicted and addressed as a female entity, nice try BTW. ;)
I'll write to make it clear: I'm referring to System Shock 1 and only to it, this is the remake of SS1.

The same page you refer to states clearly that SHODAN is addressed as HE or IT in the 1992 release and is even wrong as shown in the previous quote. Not to mention all the facts the form of audio/video material linked in this discussion, pictures, logs, game's manual, can even post a shot of the game's box, the CD ROM release.

This is not a "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and moves like a duck" situation.
The images provided are from the fandom wiki (you can easily find by image googling "system shock 1 shodan") depict SHODAN as gender neutral, logs address it as HE or IT or HIM, such as the game's manual.
Guess what? Devs defined it as It, He or Him, gave it neutral features and everywhere in the lore is addressed as IT, He or Him, the manual refers to SHODAN, the same even on the game's box, 1994 CDROM release, is addressed as IT.
You can see it differently but facts tell another story.
andysheets1975: Have we actually found the one person on Earth who prefers the floppy version over the CD?
Judicat0r: Dunno, I own both, like the CD-ROM release more.
Ah well. The search continues!
Gudadantza: In summary, the supposed discordancies are between the floppy and CD versions

Anyways as whole series, SHODAN is a woman (artificial) even because of the continuity and plot. It should make the "he" in the floppy version not so really relevant or critical. (the "it" would be accurate, though)
Judicat0r: If you play they the version which is available on this very site, which the material I linked in my previous posts belong to, SHODAN is addressed as HE, you see, just because some random dude or dudette decides to keep wiki page doesn't mean that's the truth or is impartial or knowledgeable, check for yourself, play the game.
The NDS Enhanced edition features Spoken logs which the floppy disk lacks, so as you can see, that fandom wiki page is wrong and its keeper is biased, believe it or not, she's the same author of a mod that switches the pronouns with feminine ones...

I had this exact discussion multiple times the last one with that woman who keeps that page, believe me or not, after I proved her wrong multiple times she ran to edit the page in its current form, still inexact but ..
While she was at it she took a few extra step calling me and my family names for having shattered into pieces the mental image of the game she built along the years...
Time4Tea: I'm not being selective about anything, I just don't agree with you. Your first link didn't work for me. The second one to me clearly looks female. On your side, you seem rather quick to disregard the VA; however, I would argue the VA plays a huge part in how the character is depicted in-game.

Besides that, I will point out that on that wiki page it says: Gender: Female. So, you seem to be at odds with the accepted position of the System Shock fan base. But yeah, feel free to carry on with your crusade ...
Judicat0r: LOL. The same wiki I confronted the keeper's and then she immediately ran to fix by copying and pasting my exact words, oh boy, the irony....

That page refers as SHODAN in both games, where in SS2 it is clearly end explicitly depicted and addressed as a female entity, nice try BTW. ;)
I'll write to make it clear: I'm referring to System Shock 1 and only to it, this is the remake of SS1.

The same page you refer to states clearly that SHODAN is addressed as HE or IT in the 1992 release and is even wrong as shown in the previous quote. Not to mention all the facts the form of audio/video material linked in this discussion, pictures, logs, game's manual, can even post a shot of the game's box, the CD ROM release.

This is not a "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and moves like a duck" situation.
The images provided are from the fandom wiki (you can easily find by image googling "system shock 1 shodan") depict SHODAN as gender neutral, logs address it as HE or IT or HIM, such as the game's manual.
Guess what? Devs defined it as It, He or Him, gave it neutral features and everywhere in the lore is addressed as IT, He or Him, the manual refers to SHODAN, the same even on the game's box, 1994 CDROM release, is addressed as IT.
What originally was He or it or Him, or Neuter, in the CD version it was revised and a female voice was added, also in the later lore SHODAN is female.

For you what is defining the genre of the toaster is the very first version of the game. Ok, its fine. And why not, legit.
But not for me.
Judicat0r: Well you can't selectively take what fits your narrative and scrap other facts...
Practice what you preach.
I don't mind the floppy version. Also, the MIDI elevator music is the best. :)
Post edited May 22, 2023 by DoomSooth
Judicat0r: That's some weird, yet again, selective fact-ignoring.
No, in fact, you seem to be the one who is doing that, and the only one who seems to agree with your position.

Judicat0r: That page refers as SHODAN in both games, where in SS2 it is clearly end explicitly depicted and addressed as a female entity, nice try BTW. ;)
I disagree with you that SS2 is not relevant. It's part of the same series of games, which form a continuous canonical setting. The depiction of Shodan in SS2 as clearly female reinforces the view that the character was intended to be female. It doesn't make sense to look at only one game in a series, in isolation, the way you are trying to.

Judicat0r: The same page you refer to states clearly that SHODAN is addressed as HE or IT in the 1992 release and is even wrong as shown in the previous quote. Not to mention all the facts the form of audio/video material linked in this discussion, pictures, logs, game's manual, can even post a shot of the game's box, the CD ROM release.
I don't care what might have been printed in some obsolete early-dev manual or floppy-edition box cover. I see that as irrelevant. I am talking about the game that I played, which is the enhanced edition that is available on GOG. In that game, Shodan gave a strong impression to me as being a female character. That was the impression I had from playing the game.

Sure, I can accept that perhaps Shodan was initially intended to be male/neutral. However, in that case it is clear that she was changed to be female later on in development, which is how she is depicted in the GOG version (especially with the female VA).

Judicat0r: This is not a "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and moves like a duck" situation.
Yes it is. Again, you are welcome to believe whatever you want, but good luck finding someone to agree with you!

Judicat0r:
Also, sorry to break it to you bud, but quoting from the SS1 Wikipedia article:

Doug Church later said, "We tried to keep them from shipping the floppy version and instead just ship the CD version, but Origin would have none of it".[24] System Shock producer Warren Spector later expressed regret concerning the floppy version, stating, "I wish I could go back and make the decision not to ship the floppy version months before the full-speech CD version. The additional audio added so much it might as well have been a different game. The CD version seemed so much more, well, modern. And the perception of Shock was cemented in the press and in people's minds by the floppy version (the silent movie version!). I really think that cost us sales..."
;-)
Post edited May 22, 2023 by Time4Tea
Time4Tea: No, in fact, you seem to be the one who is doing that, and the only one who seems to agree with your position.
You have my sympathies, trying to explain to that troll what he obviously doesn´t want to understand :)
Judicat0r: That's some weird, yet again, selective fact-ignoring.
Time4Tea: No, in fact, you seem to be the one who is doing that, and the only one who seems to agree with your position.

Judicat0r: That page refers as SHODAN in both games, where in SS2 it is clearly end explicitly depicted and addressed as a female entity, nice try BTW. ;)
Time4Tea: I disagree with you that SS2 is not relevant. It's part of the same series of games, which form a continuous canonical setting. The depiction of Shodan in SS2 as clearly female reinforces the view that the character was intended to be female. It doesn't make sense to look at only one game in a series, in isolation, the way you are trying to.

Judicat0r: The same page you refer to states clearly that SHODAN is addressed as HE or IT in the 1992 release and is even wrong as shown in the previous quote. Not to mention all the facts the form of audio/video material linked in this discussion, pictures, logs, game's manual, can even post a shot of the game's box, the CD ROM release.
Time4Tea: I don't care what might have been printed in some obsolete early-dev manual or floppy-edition box cover. I see that as irrelevant. I am talking about the game that I played, which is the enhanced edition that is available on GOG. In that game, Shodan gave a strong impression to me as being a female character. That was the impression I had from playing the game.

Sure, I can accept that perhaps Shodan was initially intended to be male/neutral. However, in that case it is clear that she was changed to be female later on in development, which is how she is depicted in the GOG version (especially with the female VA).

Judicat0r: This is not a "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and moves like a duck" situation.
Time4Tea: Yes it is. Again, you are welcome to believe whatever you want, but good luck finding someone to agree with you!

Judicat0r:
Time4Tea: Also, sorry to break it to you bud, but quoting from the SS1 Wikipedia article:

Doug Church later said, "We tried to keep them from shipping the floppy version and instead just ship the CD version, but Origin would have none of it".[24] System Shock producer Warren Spector later expressed regret concerning the floppy version, stating, "I wish I could go back and make the decision not to ship the floppy version months before the full-speech CD version. The additional audio added so much it might as well have been a different game. The CD version seemed so much more, well, modern. And the perception of Shock was cemented in the press and in people's minds by the floppy version (the silent movie version!). I really think that cost us sales..."
Time4Tea: ;-)
Did you even read my posts?
Nice try, again, but not nice enough ;)
That piece taken from WK talks about the floppy version which I'm not referring to, I'm referrigng to CDROM version and linked material taken from it but you are pretending you are not seeing it.
And again selectively cutting off what doesn't fit your personal opinion, It doesn't work like that: the paperwork of the CDROM release is proof, the box of the CDROM game is proof, I linked proof taken from the enhanced version sold on this site, where are yours? I'm not seeing any.
And still nowhere I stated SS2 is not relevant, link where I wrote those exact words please, if you can't then yours is just demagogy.

Wow... you are not breaking anything to anyone since:

NOWHERE I'M REFERRING TO THE FLOPPY VERSION, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? I LINKED MATERIAL FROM THE ENHANCED VERSION SOLD ON THIS SITE, THE SAME YOU CLAIM YOU HAVE PLAYED, TWICE I'VE SHOWN SHODAN IS ADDRESSED AS HE BOTH IN AUDIO AND TRANSCRIPTS, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

You are making my point instead, thank you very much ;)

If you play they the version which is available on this very site, which the material I linked in my previous posts belong to, SHODAN is addressed as HE, you see, just because some random dude or dudette decides to keep wiki page doesn't mean that's the truth or is impartial or knowledgeable, check for yourself, play the game.

LOL. The same wiki I confronted the keeper's and then she immediately ran to fix by copying and pasting my exact words, oh boy, the irony....

Gudadantza: What originally was He or it or Him, or Neuter, in the CD version it was revised and a female voice was added, also in the later lore SHODAN is female.

For you what is defining the genre of the toaster is the very first version of the game. Ok, its fine. And why not, legit.
But not for me.
The enhanced version sold on this site is based off the CDROM version, OK? I'm not referring to the first release which had no spoken logs, I linked 2 spoken logs where SHODAN is addressed as HE, what's so hard to understand there?
See for yourself go to the long play I linked before and check it out.
Post edited May 22, 2023 by Judicat0r

I disagree with you that SS2 is not relevant. It's part of the same series of games, which form a continuous canonical setting. The depiction of Shodan in SS2 as clearly female reinforces the view that the character was intended to be female. It doesn't make sense to look at only one game in a series, in isolation, the way you are trying to.

I don't care what might have been printed in some obsolete early-dev manual or floppy-edition box cover. I see that as irrelevant. I am talking about the game that I played, which is the enhanced edition that is available on GOG. In that game, Shodan gave a strong impression to me as being a female character. That was the impression I had from playing the game.

Yes it is. Again, you are welcome to believe whatever you want, but good luck finding someone to agree with you!

Also, sorry to break it to you bud, but quoting from the SS1 Wikipedia article:

;-)
Judicat0r: Did you even read my posts?
That piece taken from WK talks about the floppy version which I'm not referring to, I'm referrigng to CDROM version and linked material taken from it but you are pretending you are not seeing it.
And again selectively cutting off what doesn't fit your personal opinion, It doesn't work like that: the paperwork of the CDROM release is proof, the box of the CDROM game is proof, I linked proof taken from the enhanced version sold on this site, where are yours? I'm not seeing any.
And still nowhere I stated SS2 is not relevant, link where I wrote those exact words please, if you can't then yours is just demagogy.

NOWHERE I'M REFERRING TO THE FLOPPY VERSION, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? I LINKED MATERIAL FROM THE ENHANCED VERSION SOLD ON THIS SITE, THE SAME YOU CLAIM YOU HAVE PLAYED, TWICE I'VE SHOWN SHODAN IS ADDRESSED AS HE BOTH IN AUDIO AND TRANSCRIPTS, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

Gudadantza: What originally was He or it or Him, or Neuter, in the CD version it was revised and a female voice was added, also in the later lore SHODAN is female.

But not for me.
Judicat0r: The enhanced version sold on this site is based off the CDROM version, OK? I'm not referring to the first release which had no spoken logs, I linked 2 spoken logs where SHODAN is addressed as HE, what's so hard to understand there?
Sorry but Those youtube links are not telling me anything. Maybe they are not edited the exact minute or log.
Anyway If you mean the text logs following the voices probably they are floppy legacy but I have not read anytthing about "He" "Him" either in those links

But what I do remember is some audio voices from the crew using "She" and "It" in the same sentence adressing SHODAN . Probably the text log has its discrepancies.

And please relax a bit. You are trying to defend that the new remake will be anathema because they are going to change drasically the toaster´s gender. And the matter is that the genre was revised and changed since the beginning.
Post edited May 23, 2023 by Gudadantza
Judicat0r: Did you even read my posts?

The enhanced version sold on this site is based off the CDROM version, OK? I'm not referring to the first release which had no spoken logs, I linked 2 spoken logs where SHODAN is addressed as HE, what's so hard to understand there?
Gudadantza: Sorry but Those youtube links are not telling me anything. Maybe they are not edited the exact minute or log.
Anyway If you mean the text logs following the voices probably they are floppy legacy but I have not read anytthing about "He" "Him" either in those links

But what I do remember is some audio voices from the crew using "She" and "It" in the same sentence adressing SHODAN . Probably the text log has its discrepancies.

And please relax a bit. You are trying to defend that the new remake will be anathema because they are going to change drasically the toaster´s gender. And the matter is that the genre was revised and changed since the beginning.
So you are telling that the links I posted, which are the only ones in this discussion that prove something, where the voice follows the exact words typed down below, those you can't understand neither the audio nor read the text?
You seem to be able to read fine my words and undestrand their meaning, weird....

At least my links are there for whoever wants to check them out and verify, you two can stubbornly deny the evidence but it's there for everyone to see.
And still my point is valid they are taking a different direction compared to the original game in reply to BrianSim's concerns, but only you guys refuse to see the evidence....
So in none of these logs you can read SHODAN addressed as HE or HIM or IT?
https://youtu.be/jE5LpOGMeak?t=5506
https://youtu.be/jE5LpOGMeak?t=9108
https://youtu.be/jE5LpOGMeak?t=12241
Post edited May 23, 2023 by Judicat0r
Gudadantza: Sorry but Those youtube links are not telling me anything. Maybe they are not edited the exact minute or log.

Judicat0r: So you are telling that the links I posted, which are the only ones in this discussion that prove something, where the voice follows the exact words typed down below, those you can't understand neither the audio nor read the text?
You seem to be able to read fine my words and undestrand their meaning, weird....

At least my links are there for whoever wants to check them out and verify, you two can stubbornly deny the evidence but it's there for everyone to see.
And still my point is valid they are taking a different direction compared to the original game in reply to BrianSim's concerns, but only you guys refuse to see the evidence....
Yes, Now I see it "...We have underestimated Shodan he´s reprogramming..." Indeed, as I said before the script is probably the same than the floppy version.

But you know what? in the voice I understand "she". There is noise and crackles exactly during that part. Let´s other native speakers have another opinion about it

If you advance some minutes you will hear the voice of Shodan acouple of times, this time not so distorted digitally but clearly a female voice.

Female voice and male text? Heritage from the floppy version. Since the begining there were discrpancies between te voice and he text messages, there was even a mod for it.
When the CD version was launched they gave the importance to the voiced feature. A lot of native speakers would use it without the text subtitles
Judicat0r: So you are telling that the links I posted, which are the only ones in this discussion that prove something, where the voice follows the exact words typed down below, those you can't understand neither the audio nor read the text?

Gudadantza: Yes, Now I see it "...We have underestimated Shodan he´s reprogramming..." Indeed, as I said before the script is probably the same than the floppy version.

But you know what? in the voice I understand "she". There is noise and crackles exactly during that part. Let´s other native speakers have another opinion about it

If you advance some minutes you will hear the voice of Shodan acouple of times, this time not so distorted digitally but clearly a female voice.

Female voice and male text? Heritage from the floppy version. Since the begining there were discrpancies between te voice and he text messages, there was even a mod for it.
When the CD version was launched they gave the importance to the voiced feature. A lot of native speakers would use it without the text subtitles
Finally.
Fair enough, but is equally true that nowhere in audio SHODAN is ever addressed as She or Her.
Gudadantza: Yes, Now I see it "...We have underestimated Shodan he´s reprogramming..." Indeed, as I said before the script is probably the same than the floppy version.

Judicat0r: Finally.
Fair enough, but is equally true that nowhere in audio SHODAN is ever addressed as She or Her.
Are you saying that you remember every voiced word in the game? Also is irrelevant for you the choosing of the voice for Shodan? Sorry, I am not convinced. Shodan is Female for a lot of people because probably their experience was with the CD version, the most common one.

It would make more sense for me that you´d say that the discrepancies are due to something more complex. They wanted them a multigenre AI, somethng mixed It´s a machine after all. Genre irrelevant

But the real thing is that as a whole in the series Shodan ended up being clearly a Female AI, for plot and for Lore. So the decission for the remake makes sense. more that reasonable for the coherence´s sake.
Post edited May 23, 2023 by Gudadantza
The voiced audio certainly doesn't follow the typed words in the logs. It deviates significantly. Yes, you are correct that those first two logs you linked refer in the text to SHODAN as a 'he', but the audio doesn't follow that and, as far as I can hear, does not use the word 'he', preferring to use 'it' instead. As others have pointed out, it seems likely that the VA was recorded after the text logs were written, and I find it interesting that it deviates so much from the log text. To me, that suggests that the log texts were left over from the earlier floppy version and, at the point they were recording the VA, they may have been having second thoughts about SHODAN's gender and so wanted to keep their options open.

I agree with Gudadantza, that I'm still not convinced by your arguments. Tbh, I don't really think a couple of text logs that are clearly not consistent with the VA trump the fact that they chose to go with a female voice actress, which quite strongly identifies SHODAN as a female character. Yes, they may have intended at an earlier stage of development for SHODAN to be male, but the developers obviously changed their mind at some point by the time of the final release.

Judicat0r: And again selectively cutting off what doesn't fit your personal opinion, It doesn't work like that: the paperwork of the CDROM release is proof, the box of the CDROM game is proof, I linked proof taken from the enhanced version sold on this site, where are yours? I'm not seeing any.
You mean the way that I am only quoting select portions of what you are saying? I am focusing on the relevant parts - you write far too much for me to quote it all. As I said before, I am not interested in 'paperwork'. I am talking about the video game that I played last year and the impression it gave me. I don't recall noticing the 'he' references in those two particular text logs - probably because the VA deviates from it so much.
Post edited May 23, 2023 by Time4Tea
inb4 this thread is locked.
0. there was no System Shock in 1992.
1. "it's time to settle the score with Durandal, your old nemesis from Marathon" (from BUNGiE mac AcTiON SACK's synopsis of Marathon 2). speaking of "truth" on box and covers.
2. this discussion reminds me of that StrIVe version of Bridget drama.