It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

System Shock – the fully fledged remake of the groundbreaking original from 1994 is almost here! In just a little bit more than a week (May 30th) we will be able to either discover or rediscover one of the most influential and, simply, one of the best gaming franchises in history.

We are incredibly excited for this upcoming Night Dive Studios’ title and just cannot wait to play it! In fact, we’ve gathered 5 reasons why our employees started speaking in SHODAN’s quotes all day and coming into work in futuristic clothes!

Let’s get to it.

Enhanced graphics and visuals

2023’s System Shock offers a visually stunning upgrade from the original game. Night Dive Studios has painstakingly recreated the haunting and claustrophobic environments of Citadel Station with modern graphics technology. The level of detail in the architecture, lighting effects, and character models look truly remarkable. From the flickering neon signs to the atmospheric shadows, the remake's enhanced visuals promise to immerse players in a more realistic and chilling cyberpunk world than ever before.

Faithful recreation of the original

While the System Shock remake introduces several improvements, it remains true to the core essence of the original game. Night Dive Studios understands the importance of capturing the unique atmosphere, storytelling, and gameplay that made the original System Shock a cult classic. With meticulous attention to detail, the remake faithfully recreates the oppressive and immersive experience of exploring the dark corridors and unraveling the mysteries of Citadel Station. Longtime fans can look forward to reliving the iconic moments while newcomers will have the opportunity to experience the game that defined a genre.

Modernized gameplay mechanics

The remake aims to modernize the gameplay mechanics while preserving the spirit of the original System Shock. Night Dive Studios has listened to player feedback and incorporated improvements to controls, responsiveness, and overall gameplay experience. The updated mechanics offer a smoother and more intuitive interface, allowing players to focus on the immersive storytelling and challenging gameplay. From hacking systems to managing resources, the remake promises to deliver a more accessible yet equally engaging experience for both veterans and newcomers to the series.

Enhanced audio design

Audio design has always played a pivotal role in the System Shock series, creating an atmospheric and spine-chilling experience. The remake takes the audio design to new heights, leveraging advancements in sound technology. The ambient noises, haunting melodies, and bone-chilling sound effects are meticulously crafted to heighten the tension and immerse players in the dystopian world of Citadel Station. The revamped audio design adds an extra layer of immersion, making every footstep, whisper, and distant scream a chilling encounter.

Revitalizing a beloved franchise

System Shock holds a special place in the hearts of gamers and is considered one of the best and most influential games of all time. The remake not only revitalizes the original game but also reintroduces the franchise to a new generation of players. It serves as a testament to the enduring legacy of System Shock and its influence on the gaming industry. By modernizing the visuals, gameplay, and overall experience, Night Dive Studios aims to reignite the passion and excitement surrounding the franchise, ensuring that the timeless appeal of System Shock continues to captivate players for years to come.

And there you have it – May 30th couldn’t come sooner! Also, don’t forget that with every purchase of the System Shock’s pre-order you receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition as a gift once it's released.

Are you excited just as we are? Anything you look forward to the most? Let us know before we all start exploring Citadel Station!
high rated
Showdown with SHODAN! Looking forward to it!
Looking forward to it, thanks!
anyone know if the customizable difficulty from the original is in this as well? some recent games did something similar (elex 2 and one of the new tomb raiders come to mind), would be a shame if they ditched it here.
Anxiously expecting it :)
Post edited May 19, 2023 by Tarhiel
high rated
I'll wait for the reviews before deciding anything. On the one hand NightDive say "it's true to the original". On the other hand, the NightDive CEO also said "we went a different direction with the writing after we restarted the project in 2018", which could mean anything up to bad ret-conning of almost every character in the game. If it were true to the original, there'd be nothing to rewrite (just like System Shock Enhanced vs Classic, or Bioshock Remaster vs Original). So what "direction" the game's writing team has changed the plot / characters remains to be seen...
Both demo were really amazing but I must say that I'm glad I was not one of the backers (I was almost one of them but I decided to wait for reason that I don't remember) delayed for I don't really know how many years I will wait for it to go on sale to buy it.
The reason is not that they needed a lot of time... the reason is that they make a promise and delayed it for a lot of time... if you make your own schedule you should try to say double the time you think you really need so that if you finish early everyone will be happy, if you need some more time you will get it without asking.
I hope they'll respect the free System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition promise for pre-ordering, despite all these delays.
Looks really good but I will wait for the release. I never preorder.
BrianSim: I'll wait for the reviews before deciding anything. On the one hand NightDive say "it's true to the original". On the other hand, the NightDive CEO also said "we went a different direction with the writing after we restarted the project in 2018", which could mean anything up to bad ret-conning of almost every character in the game. If it were true to the original, there'd be nothing to rewrite (just like System Shock Enhanced vs Classic, or Bioshock Remaster vs Original). So what "direction" the game's writing team has changed the plot / characters remains to be seen...
Going by demo videos, the game is largely authentic with one particular exception: the music. The developers seem to have opted for a Prey-esque ambiance for the sound design, eschewing the continuous soundtrack of the OG game. I don't like that, as the OG soundtrack is important and enjoyable for me.

Aside from that, the inventory was reworked to be similar to SS2, along with the ability to scrap items for vending machine currency. That is an improvement for me. I expect for all things unrelated to the music, the game will do better than the original.
high rated
Dohi64: anyone know if the customizable difficulty from the original is in this as well? some recent games did something similar (elex 2 and one of the new tomb raiders come to mind), would be a shame if they ditched it here.
As far as we know no, they are not in, so it has less features and replay ability, I call it a Demake instead.
Back during the kickstarter campaign I asked to add a classic mode to keep, at least, the gameplay of the original, Mr. Stephen "Reverse Midas" Kick agreed at first but then, after the monumental f*ckup, ate back his words, that was until the playable beta but by definition during beta you don't add stuff anymore so...

The basic mechanics should be there more or less close to the original but with the introduction of vending machines: the economy of the game is completely gone tits up, so, yeah, faithful my ass, modernized as dumbed down and enhanced visuals as steam everywhere, low res textures and the cyberspace that looks like a tacky disco club from the 80s.

As SS2 remake goes: in the kickstarter updates for backers there's a link to a YT video featuring the SS2 remake and another one to the inevitable PCGamer, a news outlet that is always so indulgent towards NDS, you can find it yourself, that site loathes me.
Already own the original version on Gog , so will not purchase this .
Dohi64: anyone know if the customizable difficulty from the original is in this as well? some recent games did something similar (elex 2 and one of the new tomb raiders come to mind), would be a shame if they ditched it here.
Judicat0r: As far as we know no, they are not in, so it has less features and replay ability, I call it a Demake instead.
Back during the kickstarter campaign I asked to add a classic mode to keep, at least, the gameplay of the original, Mr. Stephen "Reverse Midas" Kick agreed at first but then, after the monumental f*ckup, ate back his words, that was until the playable beta but by definition during beta you don't add stuff anymore so...

The basic mechanics should be there more or less close to the original but with the introduction of vending machines: the economy of the game is completely gone tits up, so, yeah, faithful my ass, modernized as dumbed down and enhanced visuals as steam everywhere, low res textures and the cyberspace that looks like a tacky disco club from the 80s.

As SS2 remake goes: in the kickstarter updates for backers there's a link to a YT video featuring the SS2 remake and another one to the inevitable PCGamer, a news outlet that is always so indulgent towards NDS, you can find it yourself, that site loathes me.
thanks, not gonna bother then. less of a thing but prettier (or maybe just different-looking) is par for the course for a remake, not really surprised.

agreed about pcgamer and hate how they use store page screenshots in reviews instead of taking their own. don't visit them anymore, the whole site is a mess as well, but checked out their post about the remaster yesterday. not hugely interesting and definitely not something to pay for again.
I feel so tired: Already own the original version on Gog , so will not purchase this .
It's a remake, not a remaster though.
BrianSim: I'll wait for the reviews before deciding anything. On the one hand NightDive say "it's true to the original". On the other hand, the NightDive CEO also said "we went a different direction with the writing after we restarted the project in 2018", which could mean anything up to bad ret-conning of almost every character in the game. If it were true to the original, there'd be nothing to rewrite (just like System Shock Enhanced vs Classic, or Bioshock Remaster vs Original). So what "direction" the game's writing team has changed the plot / characters remains to be seen...
That quote could mean before 2018 they strayed too far from the original and that new direction was true to the original. Not saying that's the case, just pointing out it's a possible interpretation.