It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

System Shock – the fully fledged remake of the groundbreaking original from 1994 is almost here! In just a little bit more than a week (May 30th) we will be able to either discover or rediscover one of the most influential and, simply, one of the best gaming franchises in history.

We are incredibly excited for this upcoming Night Dive Studios’ title and just cannot wait to play it! In fact, we’ve gathered 5 reasons why our employees started speaking in SHODAN’s quotes all day and coming into work in futuristic clothes!

Let’s get to it.

Enhanced graphics and visuals

2023’s System Shock offers a visually stunning upgrade from the original game. Night Dive Studios has painstakingly recreated the haunting and claustrophobic environments of Citadel Station with modern graphics technology. The level of detail in the architecture, lighting effects, and character models look truly remarkable. From the flickering neon signs to the atmospheric shadows, the remake's enhanced visuals promise to immerse players in a more realistic and chilling cyberpunk world than ever before.

Faithful recreation of the original

While the System Shock remake introduces several improvements, it remains true to the core essence of the original game. Night Dive Studios understands the importance of capturing the unique atmosphere, storytelling, and gameplay that made the original System Shock a cult classic. With meticulous attention to detail, the remake faithfully recreates the oppressive and immersive experience of exploring the dark corridors and unraveling the mysteries of Citadel Station. Longtime fans can look forward to reliving the iconic moments while newcomers will have the opportunity to experience the game that defined a genre.

Modernized gameplay mechanics

The remake aims to modernize the gameplay mechanics while preserving the spirit of the original System Shock. Night Dive Studios has listened to player feedback and incorporated improvements to controls, responsiveness, and overall gameplay experience. The updated mechanics offer a smoother and more intuitive interface, allowing players to focus on the immersive storytelling and challenging gameplay. From hacking systems to managing resources, the remake promises to deliver a more accessible yet equally engaging experience for both veterans and newcomers to the series.

Enhanced audio design

Audio design has always played a pivotal role in the System Shock series, creating an atmospheric and spine-chilling experience. The remake takes the audio design to new heights, leveraging advancements in sound technology. The ambient noises, haunting melodies, and bone-chilling sound effects are meticulously crafted to heighten the tension and immerse players in the dystopian world of Citadel Station. The revamped audio design adds an extra layer of immersion, making every footstep, whisper, and distant scream a chilling encounter.

Revitalizing a beloved franchise

System Shock holds a special place in the hearts of gamers and is considered one of the best and most influential games of all time. The remake not only revitalizes the original game but also reintroduces the franchise to a new generation of players. It serves as a testament to the enduring legacy of System Shock and its influence on the gaming industry. By modernizing the visuals, gameplay, and overall experience, Night Dive Studios aims to reignite the passion and excitement surrounding the franchise, ensuring that the timeless appeal of System Shock continues to captivate players for years to come.

And there you have it – May 30th couldn’t come sooner! Also, don’t forget that with every purchase of the System Shock’s pre-order you receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition as a gift once it's released.

Are you excited just as we are? Anything you look forward to the most? Let us know before we all start exploring Citadel Station!
Judicat0r: Finally.
Fair enough, but is equally true that nowhere in audio SHODAN is ever addressed as She or Her.
Gudadantza: Are you saying that you remember every voiced word in the game? Also is irrelevant for you the choosing of the voice for Shodan? Sorry, I am not convinced. Shodan is Female for a lot of people because probably their experience was with the CD version, the most common one.

It would make more sense for me that you´d say that the discrepancies are due to something more complex. They wanted them a multigenre AI, somethng mixed It´s a machine after all. Genre irrelevant

But the real thing is that as a whole in the series Shodan ended up being clearly a Female AI, for plot and for Lore. So the decission for the remake makes sense. more that reasonable for the coherence´s sake.
No, I played the game many times along the years went over all the logs one by one, did the same with enemies stats, weapon stats, the lore, but no I don't remember each single one of them, but even in the CD ROM version which apparently all of you guys are in denial of SHODAN is addressed as He, It or Him.

What I find baffling is that even posting links to the version sold here at GOG, people like Time4tea, tarhiel refuse to confront the reality resorting to made up stuff, incorrect infos, name calling.
You seem reasonable and able to debate having a normal conversation, but still keep denying that CDROM version features neutral SHODAN.

You all keep referring to the CDROM version, which, I, multiple times have told you the GOG version is based upon, proven it with links, but still you all try to deny reality and facts: again: the CDROM System Shock's release featured spoken logs: so what I linked had to come from the latest releases. But that still wasn't good enough apparently.

It would have been so easy for you to fire up the game, or check for yourself on youtube, since for whatever reason you guys refuse to acknowledge facts, pure and simple facts, and keep flailing the the 1994's CDROM version, which I played more times than I care to admit, like some sort of bible proving me wrong, which in turn makes my point, I doubt you guys played it at all.
https://youtu.be/yOERjwOw8AE?t=45?
Taken from the straight CDROM 1994 release, ran in dosbox, featuring the same audio log, the 1994's CDROM version festures SHODAN addressed as HE, HIM or IT.

I don't need to persuade anyone. All of you kept replying to me like I had a personal agenda.
I've NEVER, EVER stated or denied that SHODAN in SS2 is addressed and/or depicted as a female, that's on you guys trying to tie to me statements I've never made.

One guy was asking about the differences in the remake, among the others I pointed out that the change in this neutral entity for some sort of continuity with SS2 (multiple times actually) when they went for the female AI's plot twist, which, by the way, I still fail to get the value of.
Gudadantza: Are you saying that you remember every voiced word in the game? Also is irrelevant for you the choosing of the voice for Shodan? Sorry, I am not convinced. Shodan is Female for a lot of people because probably their experience was with the CD version, the most common one.

It would make more sense for me that you´d say that the discrepancies are due to something more complex. They wanted them a multigenre AI, somethng mixed It´s a machine after all. Genre irrelevant

But the real thing is that as a whole in the series Shodan ended up being clearly a Female AI, for plot and for Lore. So the decission for the remake makes sense. more that reasonable for the coherence´s sake.
Judicat0r: No, I played the game many times along the years went over all the logs one by one, did the same with enemies stats, weapon stats, the lore, but no I don't remember each single one of them, but even in the CD ROM version which apparently all of you guys are in denial of SHODAN is addressed as He, It or Him.

What I find baffling is that even posting links to the version sold here at GOG, people like Time4tea, tarhiel refuse to confront the reality resorting to made up stuff, incorrect infos, name calling.
You seem reasonable and able to debate having a normal conversation, but still keep denying that CDROM version features neutral SHODAN.

You all keep referring to the CDROM version, which, I, multiple times have told you the GOG version is based upon, proven it with links, but still you all try to deny reality and facts: again: the CDROM System Shock's release featured spoken logs: so what I linked had to come from the latest releases. But that still wasn't good enough apparently.

It would have been so easy for you to fire up the game, or check for yourself on youtube, since for whatever reason you guys refuse to acknowledge facts, pure and simple facts, and keep flailing the the 1994's CDROM version, which I played more times than I care to admit, like some sort of bible proving me wrong, which in turn makes my point, I doubt you guys played it at all.
Taken from the straight CDROM 1994 release, ran in dosbox, featuring the same audio log, the 1994's CDROM version festures SHODAN addressed as HE, HIM or IT.

I don't need to persuade anyone. All of you kept replying to me like I had a personal agenda.
I've NEVER, EVER stated or denied that SHODAN in SS2 is addressed and/or depicted as a female, that's on you guys trying to tie to me statements I've never made.

One guy was asking about the differences in the remake, among the others I pointed out that the change in this neutral entity for some sort of continuity with SS2 (multiple times actually) when they went for the female AI's plot twist, which, by the way, I still fail to get the value of.
A good reading about the game

https://www.filfre.net/2021/03/system-shock/

He is another one of those who consider Shodan Female.Apparently it is a virus or a conspiracy since the beginning :) Jokes aside here is the relevant part

"Terri Brosius became the voice of SHODAN, a role that fell to her by default: artificial intelligences in science fiction typically spoke in a female voice, and she was the only woman to be found among the Looking Glass creative staff. But however she got the part, she most definitely made it her own. She laughs that “people tend to get freaked out” when they hear her speak today in real life. And small wonder: her glitchy voice ringing through the empty corridors of the station, dripping with sarcastic malice, is one of the indelible memories that every player of System Shock takes away with her. Simply put, SHODAN creeps you the hell out. “You had a recurring, consistent, palpable enemy who mattered to you,” notes Doug Church — all thanks to Austin Grossman’s SHODAN script and Terri Brosius’s unforgettable portrayal of her."

The reason because SS2 Shodan is Female wasn´t an isolated decission, the reason Why the remake Shodan is female is because it is the consensus and what everybody has in they mind, even the original and current developers

Its been adressed before, if there are discrepancies not only between the voice and text about but about the text itself in the same sentence is for a reason. What originally was something neutral or male with the addition of the female voice it turned to what the CD and the sequel was and what we have today for the remake. It makes sense. It should be much worse converting Shodan in "non female" It would be weird or alienating
Greetings
Judicat0r: No, I played the game many times along the years went over all the logs one by one, did the same with enemies stats, weapon stats, the lore, but no I don't remember each single one of them, but even in the CD ROM version which apparently all of you guys are in denial of SHODAN is addressed as He, It or Him.

I watched the longplay links you posted and commented on them, acknowledging that in a couple of places the text there apparently does refer to SHODAN as 'he'. However, you seem to have completely ignored my counter points, that the VA differs substantially. I'm not the one ignoring things here - you are. I'm not going to carry on with this silly discussion, since you are clearly only interested in your own opinions.

Gudadantza: He is another one of those who consider Shodan Female.Apparently it is a virus or a conspiracy since the beginning :) Jokes aside here is the relevant part

"Terri Brosius became the voice of SHODAN, a role that fell to her by default: artificial intelligences in science fiction typically spoke in a female voice, and she was the only woman to be found among the Looking Glass creative staff. But however she got the part, she most definitely made it her own. She laughs that “people tend to get freaked out” when they hear her speak today in real life. And small wonder: her glitchy voice ringing through the empty corridors of the station, dripping with sarcastic malice, is one of the indelible memories that every player of System Shock takes away with her. Simply put, SHODAN creeps you the hell out. “You had a recurring, consistent, palpable enemy who mattered to you,” notes Doug Church — all thanks to Austin Grossman’s SHODAN script and Terri Brosius’s unforgettable portrayal of her."
The SS1 Wikipedia article has at least one quote where the game developers refer to SHODAN as 'she' as well. It seems Judicat0r is going to have to chase them down and correct their historical misconceptions ...
Post edited May 23, 2023 by Time4Tea

Time4Tea: I watched the longplay links you posted and commented on them, acknowledging that in a couple of places the text there apparently does refer to SHODAN as 'he'. However, you seem to have completely ignored my counter points, that the VA differs substantially. I'm not the one ignoring things here - you are. I'm not going to carry on with this silly discussion, since you are clearly only interested in your own opinions.

Gudadantza: He is another one of those who consider Shodan Female.Apparently it is a virus or a conspiracy since the beginning :) Jokes aside here is the relevant part

Time4Tea: The SS1 Wikipedia article has at least one quote where the game developers refer to SHODAN as 'she' as well. It seems Judicat0r is going to have to chase them down and correct their historical misconceptions ...
You mean this, probably:

(..) SHODAN's dialogue early in the game was given "a few glitches" to hint at her corrupted status. LoPiccolo increased the number of these effects throughout the game, which creates an "arc" that ends with SHODAN "completely out of her mind [... and] collapsing as an entity"

Gudadantza: A good reading about the game

He is another one of those who consider Shodan Female.Apparently it is a virus or a conspiracy since the beginning :) Jokes aside here is the relevant part

The reason because SS2 Shodan is Female wasn´t an isolated decission, the reason Why the remake Shodan is female is because it is the consensus and what everybody has in they mind, even the original and current developers

Its been adressed before, if there are discrepancies not only between the voice and text about but about the text itself in the same sentence is for a reason. What originally was something neutral or male with the addition of the female voice it turned to what the CD and the sequel was and what we have today for the remake. It makes sense. It should be much worse converting Shodan in "non female" It would be weird or alienating
Greetings
I'm too lazy to manually edit the quote, so I am copy pasting instead.
"The reason because SS2 Shodan is Female wasn´t an isolated decission, the reason Why the remake Shodan is female is because it is the consensus and what everybody has in they mind, even the original and current developers "

Joking never hurts, so I'll join you: you mixed material about SS1 with the remake's, someone around here could accuse you of tampering with it.

To be clear I know damn well the majority, not everybody, and their words: generally, think to SHODAN as female-ish, yeah nothing to write home about there.
You know, first off they are basically stating that they found themselves with this female entity IN SS2, keep in mind that not SS1, so in order to conform to people's expectations they had to comply basically...

But the Demake, as I like to indulge in calling it, was never up to debate by me per se, as never was SS2, but only as means of comparison to the original instead.

Secondly I have kind of a problem with that: Original devs could have gone a clear, straight direction but didn't, and, to be honest, I don't trust NDS in no shape or form after what has happened, so what I get in SS1 is SHODAN depicted as neutral instead of the clear, marked path they took in SS2.

Still is their game so it's official word.

In the original game when you look outside the windows of the Citadel you can see the stars, well, that wasn't never planned: some dev anonymously snuk the code in the game without telling anybody, basically the day after they tried to figure out the culprit but couldn't and, IIRC, for time constraints they left it in.
That is just an anecdote to support the fact that if someone wanted, eventually, one way or another, they could have gone a different path.
Gudadantza: A good reading about the game

Greetings
Judicat0r: I'm too lazy to manually edit the quote, so I am copy pasting instead.
"The reason because SS2 Shodan is Female wasn´t an isolated decission, the reason Why the remake Shodan is female is because it is the consensus and what everybody has in they mind, even the original and current developers "

Joking never hurts, so I'll join you: you mixed material about SS1 with the remake's, someone around here could accuse you of tampering with it.

To be clear I know damn well the majority, not everybody, and their words: generally, think to SHODAN as female-ish, yeah nothing to write home about there.
You know, first off they are basically stating that they found themselves with this female entity IN SS2, keep in mind that not SS1, so in order to conform to people's expectations they had to comply basically...

But the Demake, as I like to indulge in calling it, was never up to debate by me per se, as never was SS2, but only as means of comparison to the original instead.

Secondly I have kind of a problem with that: Original devs could have gone a clear, straight direction but didn't, and, to be honest, I don't trust NDS in no shape or form after what has happened, so what I get in SS1 is SHODAN depicted as neutral instead of the clear, marked path they took in SS2.

Still is their game so it's official word.

In the original game when you look outside the windows of the Citadel you can see the stars, well, that wasn't never planned: some dev anonymously snuk the code in the game without telling anybody, basically the day after they tried to figure out the culprit but couldn't and, IIRC, for time constraints they left it in.
That is just an anecdote to support the fact that if someone wanted, eventually, one way or another, they could have gone a different path.
I am going to rewrte the sentence to be more accurate about what I meant

The reason because SS2 Shodan is Female wasn´t an isolated decission, it was because of the decissions made in the previous game. It ties with the reason Why the remake Shodan is female, because it is the consensus and what everybody has in they mind, even the original and current developers

Ok. Is now more clear what I mean? I know. You do not agree. But it is worth for the sake of clarity

Oh man. No errors allowed, apparently :D
Knightspace: It's a good thing you can get it here
Yeah I bought it a while ago.
While I have my reservations for the remake, they center on the lack of the OG soundtrack and SHODAN's monolog as the ethical constraints are disabled.

From a gameplay aspect, I think most aspects of Enhanced are fine...except for cyberspace. That part of the game sucks, because the world is presented in a confusing wireframe style, where depth perception is difficult to pin down. Also, the movement feels clunky.

I saw some gameplay of the remake's cyberspace, and have to say: It looks like what the original SS developers would have done, if their technology permitted it. Good stuff. :)
Dohi64: anyone know if the customizable difficulty from the original is in this as well? some recent games did something similar (elex 2 and one of the new tomb raiders come to mind), would be a shame if they ditched it here.
I gave you wrong information: the customizable difficulty levels are in, sorry, my bad.