It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Broken Age tested on mac, it use steam. I already updated the wiki but Win and linux version are still only tested on act 1.
After this it was not unexpected but still:

Brink of Consciousness The Lonely Hearts Murders

Does not need any steam in Win7/64. BTW: both are exellent HOGs.
gamesfreak64: This is intresting: i know these HOG and some only work with client, lucky for me i got these at a sale.
Its a movie? too bad i am looking for more games that run once installed, i have a lot but i need more :D
Steam seems to have his summer picnic sale ?

I guess i be checking for cheap hogs, i checked the upcoming tab on gog but sadly its all 3d or fpp...
i guess the secret files and LH 1+2 will never come, so i be spending my leftover psc on HOG games.
MarkoH01: No, it is not a movie it is more like an interactive movie with simple QTE events in it. It's nothing great but it's fun. I just stumbled over this game because of its ridiculous title (and the game also is pure trash).

Since I found out this steam_appid.txt trick I try it with every game I have by searching for the app id and then inserting this number into the textfile. I was really surprised that it worked with this one.

On a sidenote: imo Secret files is much overrated - at least I was expecting much more when I played it at the time. Lost Horizon 1 I liked - the second so far is much too pricey for me and the reviews weren't that good either.
The reason secret files 2 is so pricey : 19.99 is the fact it is at least 2 or 3 times on sale at gamersgate at 9.99 :D
or at 19.99 for secretfiles 1,2 and 3 :D (i got the games and the franchise pack laoded with drm of course)

As for ratings, i dont care about ratings i only look for bugs / crashes.
Anyway eventhough Steam is evil i like one thing: every shitty game gets a chance ones it passes greenlight, thats a good thing it enabled me to get games that sell little, and i like that, so i guess because of it not being popular at gog, secretfiles and losthorizon 1+2 might never arrive? Thats sad, very sad to hear.
Imho, i seen games arrive that are lower then secretfiles, they had 3 or 13 votes, but: the ability to get the game, seems the factor that decides if a game will come, not the amount of votes a game has.

I saw many nice hog and casuals at steamsale, i guess i have to get more paysaves :D
Post edited June 26, 2016 by gamesfreak64
MarkoH01: After this it was not unexpected but still:

Brink of Consciousness The Lonely Hearts Murders

Does not need any steam in Win7/64. BTW: both are exellent HOGs.
I know, i have 200 or so (maybe more) drm free from retail cd/dvd got 99% at bol dot com (netherlands/belgium only)
the sad thing is: they are in Dutch language (voices are original rest is Dutch)sometimes a frenc version is on the cd/dvd aswell.

Hope Lake (HOG) doesnt even run with steam installed, offline steam, or any other file removed, i guess i bought my first non working hog at steam a few days a go, the funny thing is, the developer doesnt even care, he didn't even reply, usually they do and try to help you, this guy didn't so i stopped buying game from that dev/publisher: no support is no buy :D
I guess i have to wait and hope it arrives on drm free retail cd someday (dutch).

If you like black mirror 1,2,and 3 (i own all games) you might liek Lost Chronicles of Zerzura, its devloped by the people who created Black Mirror 2 and 3, i read it in a game review , on a gamesreview site.
Once installed the game runs without steam so you can copy it to win7, i dont know if win8x or 10 will run it.
Lost Horizon 2

Once installed steam is not needed :D

LH2 (needs 2 GB video ram) but i can 'run' it on my 1 GB videocard
i must admit the game is cpu/gpu heavy and if i run at optimal performance , fullscreen my pc starts to 'boil' :D
So the game does work , a lot of users in online games fora said it works, but they forgot to say you do need a very fast gpu and cpu.

check screenshot of the game: 640 window
i have hwmonitor running

the 55% are normaly 41 and the 40 plus are around 30-36 the game is in window, and the settings are set to low so the game looks ugly and small, but basically i can 'run' it... but its to heavy on cpu usage, and gpu usage cause the % rise to 60 plus, so i have the game but cant really play it.

Sometimes you can move the steam api dll to a new folder and sometimes the game starts without nagging or trying to launch the steam client, i did notice that the steamwebhelper is running in taskmanager, other steam components dont show up unless they managed to hide them.

One game that launches steamwebhelper is: Grim Legends 3 The Dark City
a very nice HOG but it is a little cpu/gpu hungry

my poor system:

i5 750 2,67 quadcore
8 gb ram
GTS 250 1GB

i guess my GPU is the weakest 'link' :D

UPDATE: i tried to stop the steamwebhelper process, the manages flashed and all of a sudden steam.exe showed up aswell, funny thing is there isnt a steam icon available that allows you to login your account...
so basically this games arent real steam free....

Its a Artifex Mundi game , that might explain things. :D

After clicking and clicking i maged to 'shut down' the steam.exe and steamwebhelper and the game is still running.
Very nice game, its has some interaction scenes, after you complete these a short animation follows, very well done game for a HOG, its different then the old HOG games.
Attachments:
Tested on Win 8.1

Absolute Drift
Brilliant Shadows - Part One of the Book of Gray Magic
Chronicles of Teddy
The Purring Quest
Who's Your Daddy
gamesfreak64: One game that launches steamwebhelper is: Grim Legends 3 The Dark City

my poor system:

i5 750 2,67 quadcore
8 gb ram
GTS 250 1GB

UPDATE: i tried to stop the steamwebhelper process, the manages flashed and all of a sudden steam.exe showed up aswell, funny thing is there isnt a steam icon available that allows you to login your account...

After clicking and clicking i maged to 'shut down' the steam.exe and steamwebhelper and the game is still running.
Very nice game, its has some interaction scenes, after you complete these a short animation follows, very well done game for a HOG, its different then the old HOG games.
Since I don't own Grim Legends 3 I cannot be sure about this but since so far EVERY Artifex Mundi game was runnable without steam using the steam_appid.txt method, please try the following:

Create an empty text file name it steam_appid.txt and place it in the game directory. Open the text file and enter the number 458470 into it. Try to run the game now and see if it now starts without steam. On Win7 this method so far worked wit every Artifex Mundi and a few other games.

Regarding your performance problems with LH 2 I would think that the problem would be more your GPU but your CPU. A GTS card is really pretty weekand as you said 1GB VRAM is for some never games not enough. I really don't think that adventures like this are that heavy on the CPU and an i5 should be enough.
Post edited June 28, 2016 by MarkoH01
gamesfreak64: One game that launches steamwebhelper is: Grim Legends 3 The Dark City

my poor system:

i5 750 2,67 quadcore
8 gb ram
GTS 250 1GB

MarkoH01: Since I don't own Grim Legends 3 I cannot be sure about this but since so far EVERY Artifex Mundi game was runnable without steam using the steam_appid.txt method, please try the following:

Create an empty text file name it steam_appid.txt and place it in the game directory. Open the text file and enter the number 458470 into it. Try to run the game now and see if it now starts without steam. On Win7 this method so far worked wit every Artifex Mundi and a few other games.

Regarding your performance problems with LH 2 I would think that the problem would be more your GPU but your CPU. A GTS card is really pretty weekand as you said 1GB VRAM is for some never games not enough. I really don't think that adventures like this are that heavy on the CPU and an i5 should be enough.
Thank you for the reply.
yes my poor GPU is weak and old (2009) its a good thing i cant play fps/3d , otherwise i had to buy a new pc, luckily i like casual games and these have average requirements so i can run all casual games that have been released sofar.
Games made with AGS also run on almost anything that looks like a pc, thats why i own all wadjet eye games and anything that looks like it.

i tried the txt file, so far i dont see the steam.exe or other steam.exe files like steamhelper in the taskmanager, i will try it lateron again and test the game, thanks for the tip.

It seems to work, it also seems to work for

Hope Lake (HOG)
Pixel Heroes - Byte and Magic

The Next Big Thing (exe file)is a nasty one , if the game is not present in the steam folder. then it will popup an error, after googling you find that it will work if you copy steam.exe in the folder the game is, the game will 'update' and will simply 'install' all steam files needed in the folder where the game is, so basically it still needs steam, this is nasty.
I assume the .exe is the guilty one , and has extra code in it to check for steam existence, i will write down the devs/publishers name and wont buy any games from them.

Alternativa seems to be doing the same, so it wont work on that one, guess the .exe has to be fixed.

GhostControlInc : pops up and starts but... closes again so it wont work, guess the exe needs a job.

Heavens Hope also wont work, these games really need steam client, so this dev is also on the avoid list to buy games from :D

Thats why i buy these games at steam sales so if they dont work i can dump them, cause plsying a game with a client running is bad for the gaming performance , unless you have 8 cpu and a very expensive big GPU.

So far all realore games seem to work without steam once they are installed, 1 game asked for a key but the key was given after installation, i own almost all reallore games.
Games work without the txt file trick, so as long as they keep doing this i be buying games from reallore, as soon as they start to tighten things up, i stop buying games from them.
Post edited June 28, 2016 by gamesfreak64
Gnomes vs Fairies (linux) works without steam. it's version B5.0 (early Access)

tested on Mint 17.3
Okay, I think I caught everything, so we're up to date again!
You can add to this list Sakura Angels, on Windows.

Although do note that if you wish to switch the text language to Japanese, you're going to have to download a 180MBs update to switch languages, each and every time. I hope I'm able to push a patch to instead streamline the process without downloading for each language switch.

I also noted that Not The Robots is still unknown for on Windows. I can confirm it works.

EDIT: Also:
RADical ROACH - Windows
Sakura Beach 2 - Windows
Post edited July 03, 2016 by PookaMustard
Furthermore:
Sakura Beach - Linux (I used the included .sh in the Windows version Steam downloaded)
Sakura Beach 2 - Linux (same as above).

Tested on Porteus 3.1.
Tested Win 8.1

Cally's Trials - Delete steam_api.dll
Porcunipine
Reveal The Deep
The Fall
Okay, we're updated again. I was glad to see so many more games confirmed as DRM-free, especially after the disappointment of hearing that Inside, the new game made by the same Indie team that developed Limbo, has Denuvo in it.
Hello! I'd like to help a bit with your list. I've tested the following on two of my systems (Windows 7), each seemed to work without Steam's involvement but please feel free to run secondary checks for those with access to these titles:

Duke Nukem 3D (DOSBOX version available from Megaton Edition)
Eternal Senia
Red Trigger
Rise of the Triad Original (Apogee Throwback Pack version, uses WinRoTT)
Rise of the Triad Reboot
Shadow Warrior (DOSBOX version available from Classic Redux)
The Polynomial (Windows)
VA-11 Hall-A
Post edited July 15, 2016 by Exceed20XX