It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UhuruNUru: I was using it to point out that running without the store client, and being DRM free are two different things, not that it should be on a list. Again my point was requiring the API/SDK does NOT make it DRM, and is most likely got something to do with the achievements, or lazy devs doing minimum work to get it working on GOG.
As Marko said, a lot of the steamapi.dll files in GOG releases are indicators of a "common release" thing, ie, the dev will bundle all platform's .dll's with all releases and just link to the relevant client in question. Eg, deleting both steam_api64.dll files you mentioned for the GOG version of Oxenfree (as well as CSteamworks.dll in the plugins folder), makes zero difference at all to the game starting up, so they're probably just "inert" files that aren't linked to at all. Sometimes you'll also see the reverse of Galaxy64.dll / GalaxyCSharp.dll files bundled in Steam releases.

UhuruNUru: My point was it doesn't appear as though it's meant to be DRM free, but Epic levels of incompetence, make it that way.
I don't know if the ability to use -EpicPortal switch to run without the Epic client is a feature or a bug, but it's been there unpatched for quite a while now so I'd assume it's intentional?

UhuruNUru: I like DRM free, but no Store Client is more important to me. If I could choose between using EA's Origin (Currently DRM, and Store Client), with No DRM, but still have to use the Store Client, or having an offline form of DRM, and no Store Client, I'd take the No Store client every time.
I know what you're saying and I prefer the "pure" offline client-less versions especially of older games too. Eg, despite being DRM-Free, I did notice that the GOG version of Bioshock Classic takes almost 12 seconds to start whilst the Humble DRM-Free offline installer version (that doesn't call any client) starts instantly. I'm guessing that's something to do with Galaxy integration for achievements, cloud saves, etc. In fact, GOG Bioshock (inc Classic) is listed W7 min whilst Humble's supports Win XP, so that could be the same reason (Galaxy is W7 min too).
AB2012: As Marko said, a lot of the steamapi.dll files in GOG releases are indicators of a "common release" thing, ie, the dev will bundle all platform's .dll's with all releases and just link to the relevant client in question. Eg, deleting both steam_api64.dll files you mentioned for the GOG version of Oxenfree (as well as CSteamworks.dll in the plugins folder), makes zero difference at all to the game starting up, so they're probably just "inert" files that aren't linked to at all. Sometimes you'll also see the reverse of Galaxy64.dll / GalaxyCSharp.dll files bundled in Steam releases.
Got Oxenfree off GOG for free, and I've not messed with it's files.
Other GOG games have failed to run, when I've tried deleting the SteamAPI64.dll

AB2012: I don't know if the ability to use -EpicPortal switch to run without the Epic client is a feature or a bug, but it's been there unpatched for quite a while now so I'd assume it's intentional? ).
I didn't even know that command argument existed.
I just start the games, with a direct to game exe shortcut.
"D:\Control\Control (Epic)\Control_DX11.exe"
"D:\Control\Control (Epic)\Control_DX12.exe"
"D:\Metro Series\3 Metro - Exodus\Metro - Exodus (Epic)\MetroExodus.exe"

No launch argument needed, and Epic Client's not running, so can't receive any such command.
I just got confirmation that Little Misfortune can be played without the client on Steam as well (tested on Win10).
Kudos to the devs to go DRM-free there as well!
Of course I personally still bought on GOG but that was nice to hear.
Post edited September 18, 2019 by MarkoH01
A bit OT but on Epic the folowing Batman games are available for free:
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham KNight
Lego Batman 1-3

I downloaded them, quit the launcher, renamed the Epic Games Launcher folder, moved the .egstore folder from each game and deactivated my internet connection. I was able to run Arkham Asylum, City, Knight and Lego Batman 3 without launching the client. I simply did not test Lego Batman 1 and 2 since I already own those on GOG.
Okay, we're finally all updated again. Sorry that took so long, I have a thankless job that always wears me out like I can't even describe to you.

Also, let me just say that I'm THRILLED with Arkham Knight being DRM-free on Epic. It was the first game I bought that had Denuvo (which is still present in the Steam version), and it was the first game in years that I had been locked out of playing. I had no idea what Denuvo even was before that game, so to finally have a version free of restrictions makes me ecstatic.
I was surprised the other day to find out that Mind Spheres can be played without the Steam program. How come this game is still not available on Gog.
pedrovay2003: Also, let me just say that I'm THRILLED with Arkham Knight being DRM-free on Epic. It was the first game I bought that had Denuvo (which is still present in the Steam version), and it was the first game in years that I had been locked out of playing. I had no idea what Denuvo even was before that game, so to finally have a version free of restrictions makes me ecstatic.
Another user (who really knows all this programming stuff) actually examined the executables and confirmed that DRM has been completely removed from them so yes, this was a really nice surprise.

No need to apologize that it took a bit longer for you to update the list - I guess everybody who also has a job can relate :)

Wishmaster777: I was surprised the other day to find out that Mind Spheres can be played without the Steam program. How come this game is still not available on Gog.
Just a guess - the game is 99cts on Steam normally - so maybe they thought it would not make enough money? Or the publishers did not even approach GOG. Afaik the game also has been given away for free a few times already ... like I said, just guesses.
Post edited October 01, 2019 by MarkoH01
Iron Marines seems to be playable without the Steam clieant running.
MarkoH01: Just a guess - the game is 99cts on Steam normally - so maybe they thought it would not make enough money? Or the publishers did not even approach GOG. Afaik the game also has been given away for free a few times already ... like I said, just guesses.
Those guys are a small publisher company. They do not do any big games, nor ambitious ones. This is their catalogue. While most of their games are sub-par quality, Mind Spheres is a cute one.
Deadly Dozen (currently onsale for $1.99)

Works fine without Steam. Tested on Win10pro system.
Bear with me: The Lost Robots

Tested on Win7/64
Okay, we're all updated again!
pedrovay2003: Also, let me just say that I'm THRILLED with Arkham Knight being DRM-free on Epic. It was the first game I bought that had Denuvo (which is still present in the Steam version), and it was the first game in years that I had been locked out of playing. I had no idea what Denuvo even was before that game, so to finally have a version free of restrictions makes me ecstatic.
Don't count on it being DRM free forever, as some games have been patched to require the client after they came out.
Hey there. Just dropping in. Nice thread! I just discovered it. I don't know if it still works but ADR1FT after dropping DENUVO can be played w/o Steam client if you just make a shortcut to the desktop to "ADRIFT.exe" and add the following param "-steam". I found that out on W10 but prolly works in others OSes too. Idk if it counts towards being DRM-Free or if it still works (When I saw that I quickly went to where my Steam library is downloaded and archived the game. Also a lil bit of OT. Two months ago I found at a thrift shop a DVD with Tomb Raider games at only aprox. 3 Euros. It is called "Tomb Raider Triple Pack Edition" and guess what? It contains Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld patched to the last versions and completely DRM-Free. Sorry for any typos I might have made :D.
Attachments:
tr_pack.jpg (241 Kb)
Home Sheep Home: Farmageddon Party Edition works without any tweaks needed (tested on Windows):-
https://store.steampowered.com/app/259810/