It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Slick_JMista: i think Half Life 2 runs without the steam client, from what i've read online.
Yes and no. So far I could not find any way to change the language in HL2 when not using the client.

Just noticed that "The Room 4" has been released on Steam. Since Room 3 was playable without the client I would like to know if this one is working without the client as well. Love the franchise and it is a pity that it is not on GOG.
_Auster_: In the computer with Steam installed, if the game is run directly from the exe with Steam open in the background, Steam doesn't recognize the game as being played (with the game open in the background, I checked in the
Why do you test with Steam open in the backgriound? Wouldn't it be better to disable Steam by renaming the exe to see if the game actually needed Steam?
Post edited February 19, 2021 by MarkoH01
Blasphemous, which is already on the list for Linux, will also run without Steam on Windows 10 with the steam_appid trick (774361). In case you are wondering, yes, I tested the latest update with the Bloodstained crossover, which has yet to arrive on GOG.
Post edited February 19, 2021 by Grargar
Just for those who were interested as myself. "The Room 4: Old Sins" does NOT run without the client unfortunately. It really is about time that the whole franchise is coming to GOG - I would be willing to buy them again.
MarkoH01: Why do you test with Steam open in the backgriound? Wouldn't it be better to disable Steam by renaming the exe to see if the game actually needed Steam?
As I said in the original post, the situation for that test was really awkward (outdated directx in the test pc, which has no wifi connection most of the time), so I had to test all possibilities I could think of in the pc I knew that could run the game. But I did rename the exes as well after trying with Steam open in the background.
MarkoH01: Why do you test with Steam open in the backgriound? Wouldn't it be better to disable Steam by renaming the exe to see if the game actually needed Steam?
_Auster_: As I said in the original post, the situation for that test was really awkward (outdated directx in the test pc, which has no wifi connection most of the time), so I had to test all possibilities I could think of in the pc I knew that could run the game. But I did rename the exes as well after trying with Steam open in the background.
Awkward is openly admitting that you had a poor test bed out of your own slack and BASED ON THAT you proclaimed something "working" or "not" /s
Just checking in to let everyone know that I'm still here, and I'll be updating the wiki soon.
Babylonia is DRM-free.

Tested on Windows 10.
A question:
- Is there a similar "Steam games that you cannot play without the Steam client" list? Because currently it seems impossible to say whether a game is not listed as DRM-free because it is not DRM-free or because it has not been tested.

A suggestion:
- Is it possible to add an "[Expand All]" button to the list? Because currently it seems that if one wishes to see if a specific game is listed, one has to click ~10 "[Expand]" buttons before running a search. Or better yet, simply launch the page with all sub-lists fully expanded.
Post edited March 02, 2021 by mrkgnao
Okay, we're all updated again.
mrkgnao: A question:
- Is there a similar "Steam games that you cannot play without the Steam client" list? Because currently it seems impossible to say whether a game is not listed as DRM-free because it is not DRM-free or because it has not been tested.
I think it's safe to assume that until is tested, it's accepted that it will have client DRM if bought through Steam. That's the way the vast majority of Steam games work, so a list of all of them would be massive.
Post edited March 04, 2021 by pedrovay2003
Girls Puzzle (delisted game; https://steamdb.info/app/934170/) can be played mostly fine without Steam. You just need to create a steam_appid.txt file with the game's appid (934170) inside and place in the executable's folder.
The only issue I noticed is that when you finish a puzzle, it doesn't show the animation that turns the puzzle into a solid image, but when you leave the puzzle, it shows as completed, and when you enter the puzzle again, it turned into a solid image (and the progress gets saved normally)

It's only available for Windows.
Downloaded through Linux (didn't open with Proton, so I don't think the initial setup is needed for running it without Steam) and tested in a Windows 10 virtual machine (official test version of the OS provided by Microsoft for virtual machines) that never had Steam installed
Post edited March 18, 2021 by _Auster_
When testing The Last Remnant in my virtual machine, I got a few errors. First was some dlls missing. After getting the dlls, I got the error "Steam error: application load error 5:0000065434", and I got this same error with all the usual methods for checking the presence of drm (nosteam argument, steam_appid.txt, deleting steam_api.dll). Does it mean the game is in fact drm'd? I've never seen this error before.

(And yes, I opened the game once before copying it to run the first time setup)
Post edited March 20, 2021 by _Auster_
Trials of Mana is drm-free with the steam_appid.txt placed in the same directory as the exe (<game folder>\Trials of Mana\Binaries\Win64\). Tested on Windows 10. This trick also works with the demo version as well.
coates32: Trials of Mana is drm-free with the steam_appid.txt placed in the same directory as the exe (<game folder>\Trials of Mana\Binaries\Win64\). Tested on Windows 10. This trick also works with the demo version as well.
Oh dang. Nice! Let's hope this isn't temporary and drm doesn't get patched in.
coates32: Trials of Mana is drm-free with the steam_appid.txt placed in the same directory as the exe (<game folder>\Trials of Mana\Binaries\Win64\). Tested on Windows 10. This trick also works with the demo version as well.
Crimson-X: Oh dang. Nice! Let's hope this isn't temporary and drm doesn't get patched in.
I'd say back-up that game-folder, EXE, steam_appid.txt file and/or whatever...just in-case.