It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Erpy: No offense, but I see a lot of preaching and very little practicing here.
KasperHviid: Hey, speaking of which -- your post got a massive downrep, since it triggered those special snowflakes who always complain about special snowflakes ...
His trying to catch me.

Tauto says thanks to everyone for their useful posts.
low rated
Asbeau: It doesn't matter. Nobody reads your posts because they're so freaking long.
The following user Kleetus says thank you for this useful post.
low rated
Asbeau:
Kleetus: The following user Kleetus says thank you for this useful post.
The following,follower Tauto says thanks for the useful and intriguing post.
low rated
Marioface5: my guess is that the rule-breaking was because of targeting a specific user.
Yeah. That's one way to put it. Another is that it was yet another ridiculing meme used as a direct and personal attack on a single member using terminology usually reserved to describe some effects of PTSD that has found its way into, here it comes, stereotypical alt-right flamebaiting.

It's an escalation strategy.

Which, ahem, isn't something a person who "gets along with just about everyone" does, OK? That just... that just doesn't... fit together. Interlock. That's just different realitites. That's not just "not even trying". That's actively provoking the exact opposite.

But, hey, if he can't cope with receiving a polite moderator request to modify one of his posts – and the single most polite request of this sort that I have ever seen in my whole life at that – and if he in fact ragequits the forum over that... that is a ... unique ... inner conflict that doesn't quite make the hero of our story credible or even accessible to the audience or something.
Post edited March 03, 2017 by Vainamoinen
low rated
Vainamoinen: It's an escalation strategy.
I'm ready to protest and I have my placards, what do you think of these quips:

Make love, not meme.

Memes kill.

Don't do meme.

Meme, what it is you're good for?

Memes not welcome here.
Asbeau: It doesn't matter. Nobody reads your posts because they're so freaking long.
That's a perfectly valid subjective opinion, and I'll respect and fight for your right to have it.
Kleetus: ----8<----snip----
fables22: In all honesty...the rep function in itself is not an issue. It's the people who have continuously been abusing it that are the problem.
For me, the reputation rating system is simply decoration on the page. Game reviews, movie reviews, music reviews, restaurant reviews, and I dare say any rating or review system is inherently unreliable in matching my personal tastes, regardless of how authoritative the participants on the subject matter itself. Obviously that's because ratings and reviews by other people are other people's opinions and thoughts, not mine.

I myself have mentioned replacements for this system of rating members (indirectly by rating their posts) only because it seemed like many others also thought it wasn't worth the space on the webpages, therefore maybe there could be something else that I wouldn't ignore. (For example, listings of posts by members so individuals can decide for themselves by reading a member's posts rather than an arbitrary score.)

As for abuse, my perspective as a member is that the reputation system is not being abused at all by anybody. Well, maybe the unrelated "spam report" button that's integrated within it, but not the reputation system itself. From the support link on the original post of this thread there is a menu on the leftside of its page with further explanation of forum guidelines. Specifically there is the link for What is this &ldquo;rep&rdquo; thing on the forums? which describes the reputation system and states:
Getting one or two stars is fairly easy, while five stars is a serious achievement. Those who earn maximum reputation can expect some kind of nice bonus (surprise, surprise! :).There is a number of ways you can earn and improve your rep...
Earning points or stars to show others "how respected and well-known you are in the community" clearly makes the reputation system competitive. There's the implication of being better than someone else, or less than someone else. Of being deserving of a bonus. Of not being deserving of anything. In particular, it discourages being yourself and encourages role-playing in order to succeed within the system.

It seems to me the reputation system shares many of the same characteristics as games, and is simply being played like a game by its participants, even if unknowingly. It seems like some members go for high scores, some go for low scores, and sometimes some members form ad hoc teams to help or hinder other members or teams of members. Participation isn't mandatory so much as it is simply happenstance by being present, that is, whenever posting. It doesn't happen by only reading or viewing the webpages.

There's no abuse of the reputation system, it's obviously just gaming. It seems like it happens with reviews of products, people, and everything in all rating systems, and I would think people in a gaming forum would be least likely to not realize the same.

OTOH, there may be misuse of the reputation system. As I have admitted, I was using the buttons for "always hide"/"always show". Or for hiding long posts, which has the side-effect of causing the length of the page to retract thereby simulating scrolling upward without having to scroll. IOW, I was using the buttons and their visual effect functionally. (I think I may have thought of the words "rate this post" as being a separate item, not a description of the buttons. Perhaps because to me ratings are usually 1–5 stars, not minus/plus.) I am trying to not do that anymore, to not use the minus/plus buttons in a functional manner.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. The score is just a decoration on the webpage, like advertisements or other nonfunctional noise. I use Safari with a personalized CSS (cascading style sheet) file to hide whatever detritus on various webpages, and sometimes reshape the content for more comfortable perusal for myself. I haven't hidden the reputation score in this forum as of yet as I still find its presence quite the novelty, considering it's a gaming forum.
Post edited March 03, 2017 by thomq
Erpy: First of all, the thing about moderation is that you're never gonna agree with every single decision the mods make, but at the same time not get too worked up at them for doing their job.

Even if post deletion isn't an option, editing it and replacing it with a few dashes is kinda the same thing, isn't it?

So uh, reading over this post, I notice a couple of things:

- You publically pride yourself on being a gentleman, then pepper your post with rather childish language like "shitty this", "fucking that", "assholes all of them". No, the language didn't offend me, I was just amused at the irony.

- You accuse others of being too easily offended, but a polite private request by a mod to remove a post (rather than said mod immediately deleting the thing herself, which the average moderator probably would have done) offends you so much that you storm off the forum in a huff.

- You accuse others of needing a safe space for their opinions and being easily triggered, but the moment a mod privately tells you one of your posts is out of line and asks you to be more mindful of the rules in the future, you don't just shrug it off and move on, but you feel threatened to the point where you immediately up and quit.

No offense, but I see a lot of preaching and very little practicing here.
Spot on, Erpy. Goes to show, I think, that we're a lot more alike than most of us are willing to acknowledge.

We *all* need to grow up.
Post edited March 03, 2017 by richlind33
low rated
Please excuse my manners for complaining about threads and posts being deleted by all the nice people here.I really don't know what happened to me,so I gave myself an uppercut which I might add hurt.
fronzelneekburm: So, adios, amigos!
Later, bro! Was nice to see you.
Now we are censored. We can't say truth. We must tolerate intolerable. You decided not to and i respect that.
dtgreene: Out of curiosity, I have decided to check how post editing and attachments interact on this forum.

Version 1: Attaching an empty file.

Version 2: Removing that file. (Success!)

Version 3: Attaching a (misnamed) sound file. Note that this might not be the most pleasant sound, but it is only one second long and isn't particularly loud (you might need to rename the file so that it has the .wav extension).

Edit: In conclusion, you can remove an attachment when editing a post, and you can add a new one, if you want. (Also, "long" -> "loud".)
It's funny how many people don't know how to edit their posts....
fables22: In all honesty...the rep function in itself is not an issue. It's the people who have continuously been abusing it that are the problem.
Marioface5: I disagree. I don't think voting on posts should be a thing. It will always be abused, Reddit is a great example of that, and even if you take away the ability to vote negatively, you're still stuck with an "I agree" button. Some users will behave or post in ways that they normally wouldn't just to get rep. It's a meaningless number unless you want to know who's best at pandering to the majority.

If you really want to keep rep, I would recommend removing the voting system and having it just work based on how long you've been here. One point for every day you make a post, perhaps. Maybe just one point per day no matter what, to avoid people posting daily just for rep. Breaking rules could decrease rep, and the amount could depend on the severity of the infraction.
fronzelneekburm: *snip*
Marioface5: I'm interested to see Fables' response to this, but my guess is that the rule-breaking was because of targeting a specific user.

EDIT: Apparently the forum automatically merges consecutive posts by the same user. That's pretty cool!
I never said I wanted to keep it. I just said it won't be removed any time soon, as far as I know. That's not to say that it hasn't been requested.
fronzelneekburm: Game over, man! Game over!

Usually, I don‘t publicise PMs, unless they‘re sent from scammers or other assorted scum. But since this might me of interest to those of you concerned about the level of moderation to be expected from the new and improved™ gog-forum, here‘s a message I just received from Fables.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comply with Fables‘ request for deletion, due to the simple fact that this shitty-ass forum doesn‘t even have a delete button. Maybe if we make this a group effort and (TRIGGER WARNING! CIS-normative language!) you fellas downvote my post into oblivion and hit the report button, it will go away all by itself. Regretfully, the message Fables sent me failed to clarify whether my post was marked for extermination because dtgreene explicitly asked for it (if that‘s the case, maybe she could have just asked me directly, instead of needlessly getting the janitor involved) or if this is just a preemptive strike in case anyone gets offended. I'm a gentleman and I always try assume the best in people, so my guess is that the latter is the case.

There is a silver lining, though. I will indeed refrain from posting similar stuff in the future. Come to think of it, I think I‘ll be refraining from posting stuff here altogether in the future.

Congratulations, Fables, you just ran off a forum member who got along fine with just about everyone. And you did it in order to appease a fringe group that has way too fucking much free time on their hands and gets offended for a hobby. These people systematically suck the fun out of everything, and that was the main thing I came here for: to have fun. Engage, meet some interesting people, maybe even learn a thing or two. Being constantly lectured by stuck-up, self-important assholes, however, is not my idea of fun.

So, adios, amigos! It was a privilege to be posting among you... like, literally! That's what it says in the forum rules! Enjoy your safe space, everyone! The only winning move is not to play.
I've specifically said that we don't want the forum to self-moderate (maybe...just maybe...because the community hasn't really done a very good job of it, to be frank) so yes, if someone gets in touch with me with concerns over a certain post, and after looking at it I do actually, and I dare say objectively, find it offensive (all while taking into account that the person in question was offended enough by it to bring it up) then yes, I will give you a chance to edit it and alert you to the fact that what you said or did breaks forum rules. I find that a lot better way to go about it than just banning you straight away, because why wouldn't I give you a chance to rectify your behaviour? It's your choice then, what you decide to do about it.
Post edited March 03, 2017 by fables22
edit: Never mind, the post in question got nuked anyway.
Post edited March 03, 2017 by fronzelneekburm
low rated
fronzelneekburm: Game over, man! Game over!

Usually, I don‘t publicise PMs, unless they‘re sent from scammers or other assorted scum. But since this might me of interest to those of you concerned about the level of moderation to be expected from the new and improved™ gog-forum, here‘s a message I just received from Fables.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comply with Fables‘ request for deletion, due to the simple fact that this shitty-ass forum doesn‘t even have a delete button. Maybe if we make this a group effort and (TRIGGER WARNING! CIS-normative language!) you fellas downvote my post into oblivion and hit the report button, it will go away all by itself. Regretfully, the message Fables sent me failed to clarify whether my post was marked for extermination because dtgreene explicitly asked for it (if that‘s the case, maybe she could have just asked me directly, instead of needlessly getting the janitor involved) or if this is just a preemptive strike in case anyone gets offended. I'm a gentleman and I always try assume the best in people, so my guess is that the latter is the case.

There is a silver lining, though. I will indeed refrain from posting similar stuff in the future. Come to think of it, I think I‘ll be refraining from posting stuff here altogether in the future.

Congratulations, Fables, you just ran off a forum member who got along fine with just about everyone. And you did it in order to appease a fringe group that has way too fucking much free time on their hands and gets offended for a hobby. These people systematically suck the fun out of everything, and that was the main thing I came here for: to have fun. Engage, meet some interesting people, maybe even learn a thing or two. Being constantly lectured by stuck-up, self-important assholes, however, is not my idea of fun.

So, adios, amigos! It was a privilege to be posting among you... like, literally! That's what it says in the forum rules! Enjoy your safe space, everyone! The only winning move is not to play.
Ah, even more "not drama queens" :D

Bye, bye! Don't forget to not write! Go till the men speak Italian and continue until they speak something else!
Post edited March 03, 2017 by Breja
high rated
KasperHviid: special snowflake
budejovice: *implying I lack basic decency*
Vainamoinen: alt-right
not quite the hero of our story
Breja: drama queen
Help, help, I'm being repressed!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA----

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
low rated
Vainamoinen: alt-right
not quite the hero of our story
fronzelneekburm:
Breja: drama queen
fronzelneekburm: Help, help, I'm being repressed!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA----

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You going or what?