It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fables22: In all honesty...the rep function in itself is not an issue. It's the people who have continuously been abusing it that are the problem.
skeletonbow: On the surface I do agree, but the underlying problem is that GOG's rep system was designed in such a way that it is easily abused to begin with. Things like this should be always designed from the perspective of "If I made the algorithm work like XYZ, if I was a 3rd party looking to exploit it and abuse it, how would I go about doing so?" and then "How can I redesign it to anticipate and avoid that?", reiterating until it becomes solid or very difficult to exploit.

It's like claiming that the reason why someone's restaurant keeps getting broken into isn't due to the door not locking properly due to a poor quality lock being used, but because the people breaking in are abusing the lock. :)

So yeah, there are people out there abusing the lock which are the surface problem, but the underlying problem is not anticipating them and designing a better door lock. :)
Eh. The rep philosophy is actually rather in line with GOG's DRM sale philosophy. They both run on GOG assuming good faith from the end users.
low rated
Bookwyrm627: Eh. The rep philosophy is actually rather in line with GOG's DRM sale philosophy. They both run on GOG assuming good faith from the end users.
And both do get abused. The difference is that a couple of people abusing the DRM-fre policy isn't enough to impact the store in a severe manner, while a couple of people abusing the rep system are quite enough to turn it into the pointless trolling tool it has become. Still, I don't see why people obsess over it so much. Yeah, it should be removed (or fixed though I'd prefer removed) but it's just a meaningless number, not nearly as important and getting rid of the trolls and hate speech and setting clear rule of conduct.
low rated
Lin545: Favorite Ice cream - not ok
tinyE: No talking about ice cream?

Yeah, you can take that idea and shove it up your Rocky Road.
He can take it and shove it up his caramel swirl with hazelnuts as far as I'm concerned.
high rated
Game over, man! Game over!

Usually, I don‘t publicise PMs, unless they‘re sent from scammers or other assorted scum. But since this might me of interest to those of you concerned about the level of moderation to be expected from the new and improved™ gog-forum, here‘s a message I just received from Fables.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comply with Fables‘ request for deletion, due to the simple fact that this shitty-ass forum doesn‘t even have a delete button. Maybe if we make this a group effort and (TRIGGER WARNING! CIS-normative language!) you fellas downvote my post into oblivion and hit the report button, it will go away all by itself. Regretfully, the message Fables sent me failed to clarify whether my post was marked for extermination because dtgreene explicitly asked for it (if that‘s the case, maybe she could have just asked me directly, instead of needlessly getting the janitor involved) or if this is just a preemptive strike in case anyone gets offended. I'm a gentleman and I always try assume the best in people, so my guess is that the latter is the case.

There is a silver lining, though. I will indeed refrain from posting similar stuff in the future. Come to think of it, I think I‘ll be refraining from posting stuff here altogether in the future.

Congratulations, Fables, you just ran off a forum member who got along fine with just about everyone. And you did it in order to appease a fringe group that has way too fucking much free time on their hands and gets offended for a hobby. These people systematically suck the fun out of everything, and that was the main thing I came here for: to have fun. Engage, meet some interesting people, maybe even learn a thing or two. Being constantly lectured by stuck-up, self-important assholes, however, is not my idea of fun.

So, adios, amigos! It was a privilege to be posting among you... like, literally! That's what it says in the forum rules! Enjoy your safe space, everyone! The only winning move is not to play.
Attachments:
meaculpa.jpg (30 Kb)
fables22: In all honesty...the rep function in itself is not an issue. It's the people who have continuously been abusing it that are the problem.
I disagree. I don't think voting on posts should be a thing. It will always be abused, Reddit is a great example of that, and even if you take away the ability to vote negatively, you're still stuck with an "I agree" button. Some users will behave or post in ways that they normally wouldn't just to get rep. It's a meaningless number unless you want to know who's best at pandering to the majority.

If you really want to keep rep, I would recommend removing the voting system and having it just work based on how long you've been here. One point for every day you make a post, perhaps. Maybe just one point per day no matter what, to avoid people posting daily just for rep. Breaking rules could decrease rep, and the amount could depend on the severity of the infraction.
fronzelneekburm: *snip*
I'm interested to see Fables' response to this, but my guess is that the rule-breaking was because of targeting a specific user.

EDIT: Apparently the forum automatically merges consecutive posts by the same user. That's pretty cool!
Post edited March 02, 2017 by Marioface5
low rated
deleted
high rated
Dear fables,

Please stop genially requesting basic decency. I'm all outta popcorn.

With warm regards,

budejovice
low rated
Out of curiosity, I have decided to check how post editing and attachments interact on this forum.

Version 1: Attaching an empty file.

Version 2: Removing that file. (Success!)

Version 3: Attaching a (misnamed) sound file. Note that this might not be the most pleasant sound, but it is only one second long and isn't particularly loud (you might need to rename the file so that it has the .wav extension).

Edit: In conclusion, you can remove an attachment when editing a post, and you can add a new one, if you want. (Also, "long" -> "loud".)
Attachments:
outwav.jpg (83 Kb)
Post edited March 02, 2017 by dtgreene
dtgreene: ...
Version 3: Attaching a (misnamed) sound file. Note that this might not be the most pleasant sound, but it is only one second long and isn't particularly loud (you might need to rename the file so that it has the .wav extension).
I have created and attached a mod for Space Pirates and Zombies this way here in the forums. Its only few kb.
Its as indie as it gets :)

fronzelneekburm: Congratulations, Fables, you just ran off a forum member who got along fine with just about everyone. And you did it in order to appease a fringe group that has way too fucking much free time on their hands and gets offended for a hobby. These people systematically suck the fun out of everything, and that was the main thing I came here for: to have fun. Engage, meet some interesting people, maybe even learn a thing or two. Being constantly lectured by stuck-up, self-important assholes, however, is not my idea of fun.

So, adios, amigos! It was a privilege to be posting among you... like, literally! That's what it says in the forum rules! Enjoy your safe space, everyone! The only winning move is not to play.
TRIGGER WARNING

:)
But srsly here is a dilemma:
- forum manages itself - people leave
- forum is managed - people leave

fronzelneekburm: The only winning move is not to play.
I feel like Socrates.
Post edited March 02, 2017 by Lin545
low rated
fronzelneekburm: Game over, man! Game over!

Usually, I don‘t publicise PMs, unless they‘re sent from scammers or other assorted scum. But since this might me of interest to those of you concerned about the level of moderation to be expected from the new and improved™ gog-forum, here‘s a message I just received from Fables.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comply with Fables‘ request for deletion, due to the simple fact that this shitty-ass forum doesn‘t even have a delete button. Maybe if we make this a group effort and (TRIGGER WARNING! CIS-normative language!) you fellas downvote my post into oblivion and hit the report button, it will go away all by itself. Regretfully, the message Fables sent me failed to clarify whether my post was marked for extermination because dtgreene explicitly asked for it (if that‘s the case, maybe she could have just asked me directly, instead of needlessly getting the janitor involved) or if this is just a preemptive strike in case anyone gets offended. I'm a gentleman and I always try assume the best in people, so my guess is that the latter is the case.

There is a silver lining, though. I will indeed refrain from posting similar stuff in the future. Come to think of it, I think I‘ll be refraining from posting stuff here altogether in the future.

Congratulations, Fables, you just ran off a forum member who got along fine with just about everyone. And you did it in order to appease a fringe group that has way too fucking much free time on their hands and gets offended for a hobby. These people systematically suck the fun out of everything, and that was the main thing I came here for: to have fun. Engage, meet some interesting people, maybe even learn a thing or two. Being constantly lectured by stuck-up, self-important assholes, however, is not my idea of fun.

First of all, the thing about moderation is that you're never gonna agree with every single decision the mods make, but at the same time not get too worked up at them for doing their job.

Even if post deletion isn't an option, editing it and replacing it with a few dashes is kinda the same thing, isn't it?

So uh, reading over this post, I notice a couple of things:

- You publically pride yourself on being a gentleman, then pepper your post with rather childish language like "shitty this", "fucking that", "assholes all of them". No, the language didn't offend me, I was just amused at the irony.

- You accuse others of being too easily offended, but a polite private request by a mod to remove a post (rather than said mod immediately deleting the thing herself, which the average moderator probably would have done) offends you so much that you storm off the forum in a huff.

- You accuse others of needing a safe space for their opinions and being easily triggered, but the moment a mod privately tells you one of your posts is out of line and asks you to be more mindful of the rules in the future, you don't just shrug it off and move on, but you feel threatened to the point where you immediately up and quit.

No offense, but I see a lot of preaching and very little practicing here.
Post edited March 02, 2017 by Erpy
I posted a comment on this topic in another thread which in retrospect I should have posted it here and linked to it there, so I thought I would post a link here instead now so that my viewpoint expressed there isn't lost in the noise as it is relevant here.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/to_the_forum_my_last_will_and_testicle/post43
low rated
[moderator-blue]

That's extremely simplistic and doesn't address the issue, it's your flawed system and indifference that is allowing it to happen.

When people can delete posts and threads you guys have a serious issue, and yet you focus on people's inappropriate posts and political correctness?

I posted a game giveaway once, it wasn't my game as I'm too cheap, Microids were giving away Syberia.

I thought there'd be a few Syberia fans here that would like it, but no, somebody else decided otherwise and spam deleted three of my threads, one after the other and within minutes.

The only thing dumber than rep is the stupid "this user says thanks for this useful post" that some forums use, you guys should also introduce that but make it dodgy so people can put their own message, that's the GOG way.

[/moderator-blue]

* Kleetus says thanks to everyone for their useful posts.
low rated
Kleetus: [moderator-blue]

That's extremely simplistic and doesn't address the issue, it's your flawed system and indifference that is allowing it to happen.

When people can delete posts and threads you guys have a serious issue, and yet you focus on people's inappropriate posts and political correctness?

I posted a game giveaway once, it wasn't my game as I'm too cheap, Microids were giving away Syberia.

I thought there'd be a few Syberia fans here that would like it, but no, somebody else decided otherwise and spam deleted three of my threads, one after the other and within minutes.

The only thing dumber than rep is the stupid "this user says thanks for this useful post" that some forums use, you guys should also introduce that but make it dodgy so people can put their own message, that's the GOG way.

[/moderator-blue]

* Kleetus says thanks to everyone for their useful posts.
Come back when you have a major percentage of abuse as in deletion of posts by the so called nice people in here.fables has said to me that I was trolling and I asked her to show me and she said she couldn't as they were deleted by the nice people in here.

Tauto says thanks to everyone for their useful posts.
skeletonbow: I posted a comment on this topic in another thread which in retrospect I should have posted it here and linked to it there...
It doesn't matter. Nobody reads your posts because they're so freaking long.
low rated
Erpy: No offense, but I see a lot of preaching and very little practicing here.
Hey, speaking of which -- your post got a massive downrep, since it triggered those special snowflakes who always complain about special snowflakes ...