It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's about forking time!

Ransome Unbeeped is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
He may not be handsome, but he's *beeping* Ransome! The potty-mouthed clown of Thimbleweed Park, who's consistently amusing but never amused, is finally getting un-censored in this very unwholesome DLC. Let his mouth run wild, unrestrained by those annoying *beeping* sounds, which were added in a misguided effort to preserve his political correctness.
A fool's errand, that was.
low rated
drealmer7: I think I got stupider reading the description (on the game page)

it's kind of dick to make people pay for this, just make it an option in the game
Agreed. Censoring it to start with is a dick move. Charging to uncensor it is a double dick move.

CharlesGrey: That certainly is a strange DLC. So much so, it makes me wonder if it's some sort of elaborate joke by the devs. Like a parody of the modern day video games industry, and their business tactics.
Vainamoinen: The question whether swearing is strictly speaking necessary has been on Ron Gilbert's mind ever since it was nixed for Maniac Mansion. Personally, I find it hilarious how some countries, mostly the big one, struggle with the occasional curse. But here I am, contemplating whether to buy this DLC, and...

...Ransome was cuntwankfucking hilarious bleeped. I'm not sure I want to hear him unbleeped!
Ransome's lawyer spoke in unbleeped actual bleeps, how is that still hilarious if Ransome isn't bleeped any more?

Yeah, the way Gilbert's doing this is... very, very strange and irresistibly intriguing.

Damn, I hope this rip off pays off for him. ;)

And he never gave a flying fuck about some people who he offended, ever, people who don't get the joke and never even tried. Thimbleweed Park is 19.99 € over here, plus DLC is 21.98 €, that is an absurd steal for this class of adventure game. IF you want the DLC added, which, I'll gladly repeat, will not constitute the ultimate, authoritative, canon, complete, director's cut, uncut, uncensored, politically incorrect, what have you version of this game.
Whether the price is reasonable has nothing to do with why this is unacceptable.

I'm removing Thimbleweed Park from my wishlist. I was honestly planning to get it on Nintendo Switch, but am not going to now.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by barleyguy
low rated
Despicable.
HeartsAndRainbows: I have seen more atrocious stuff* this year on GOG, but yeah: It's an odd choice for paid DLC to say the least...

HeartsAndRainbows:
I know, many of us thought that the LoH DLC is something we don't want to see on GOG. It's a way of making you pay for content that I don't accept. Nor I accept the nature of that content. Items in a game are something that should be found somewhere in the game. But more importantly, I don't want to accept a ridiculous DLC in a game that is aiming at the "old spirit" of graphic adventures, and from a respected dev. While Legend of Heroes is nothing to me.
Still no the Cave, but we can pay to unbeep funny beeps. Wow now my life is great.
I am supremely disappointed in the devs for pulling this kind of crap.

If they had to re-record those lines then charging would be somewhat understandable, but reading on their forums these are literally the original lines minus the beeps. Given that adding the beeps is extra work, providing the uncensored files would have cost less than the censorship. There's no reason for not making this a free update.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by SirPrimalform
HeartsAndRainbows: I have seen more atrocious stuff* this year on GOG, but yeah: It's an odd choice for paid DLC to say the least...
Those shining poms are cheat-codes for people, who want to progress fast in the game. Time seems to be quite value for those, so they want to shorten the grinding. That is okay, it does not change the game.

Here? First censor the game (needed or just for fun is unknown...) and than offer an uncensor patch? For money?

I would have tried it to find out, what mode is better (I think the bleeping one...), but NOT for extra cash. This should have been a free extra update for owners of the game.
high rated
barleyguy: Whether the price is reasonable has nothing to do with why this is unacceptable.
I'll think about that when I read the first argument explaining why this is in fact "unacceptable" that makes sense.

The game was planned as having curse words bleeped right_from_the_start. They're constantly making jokes about it in-game. "Un-censoring" Ransome will kill all the bleeping jokes, and there are many, some seriously great ones (like the lawyer mentioned above). Some will want this. I'm not sure I do. But I fail to see how this is "a dick move". You were never entitled to this version. Remastering and putting these tracks into the game instead of the originals costs time and money too, so if you want your game to work any different than by the actual original concept of the game, which will remain the authoritative cut, pay a pittance for it.
high rated
This should be at least $10 to drive the joke home.
high rated
CharlesGrey: That certainly is a strange DLC. So much so, it makes me wonder if it's some sort of elaborate joke by the devs. Like a parody of the modern day video games industry, and their business tactics.
Vainamoinen: The question whether swearing is strictly speaking necessary has been on Ron Gilbert's mind ever since it was nixed for Maniac Mansion. Personally, I find it hilarious how some countries, mostly the big one, struggle with the occasional curse. But here I am, contemplating whether to buy this DLC, and...

...Ransome was cuntwankfucking hilarious bleeped. I'm not sure I want to hear him unbleeped!
Ransome's lawyer spoke in unbleeped actual bleeps, how is that still hilarious if Ransome isn't bleeped any more?

Yeah, the way Gilbert's doing this is... very, very strange and irresistibly intriguing.

Damn, I hope this rip off pays off for him. ;)

And he never gave a flying fuck about some people who he offended, ever, people who don't get the joke and never even tried. Thimbleweed Park is 19.99 € over here, plus DLC is 21.98 €, that is an absurd steal for this class of adventure game. IF you want the DLC added, which, I'll gladly repeat, will NOT constitute the ultimate, authoritative, canon, complete, director's cut, uncut, uncensored, politically incorrect, what have you version of this game.

I have no idea whether the curse DLC is a fitting parody of any business practices in the game industry. But I do know that the people now whining about having to pay for an "uncensored" version of the game have either never played Thimbleweed Park or never understood it.
The more I think about it, the more it feels like some kind of joke/ parody by the devs. Especially considering this is, to my knowledge, the only DLC available for the game. I mean, if they wanted to milk their fans, they could have offered a whole lot more DLC content, and more attractive/ profitable ones. Can't help but feel like the people who are outraged by this are actually the butt of the joke and don't even realize it.
deleted
high rated
I just want to point out that Thimbleweed Park got many free updates already: hint-line, new conversations between characters, arcade etc.
high rated
toxicTom: This should be at least $10 to drive the joke home.
I'm pretty sure the outrage would rage five times as high while the joke would have driven in no additional brain garages whatsoever. So, yeah, this should DEFINITELY be a 10$ DLC. :)

CharlesGrey: The more I think about it, the more it feels like some kind of joke/ parody by the devs. Especially considering this is, to my knowledge, the only DLC available for the game. I mean, if they wanted to milk their fans, they could have offered a whole lot more DLC content, and more attractive/ profitable ones. Can't help but feel like the people who are outraged by this are actually the butt of the joke and don't even realize it.
After the game was released and a success already, they put months of additional development time into opening the in-game arcade and making stuff playable. That was a free update, naturally. They didn't have to do this. They could have called it a day, be done with it.

The outraged don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Fairfox: TROLOLOLO!!!111
As always, you got the whole thing in a nutshell for those who would listen, my dear Vulpes Vulpes Auriolus.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by Vainamoinen
low rated
CharlesGrey: Can't help but feel like the people who are outraged by this are actually the butt of the joke and don't even realize it.
It would be hilarious but for the fact that they really are charging for something that should be there by default. After all, the uncensored lines already existed as part of the process of making the censored lines. This took no additional work to produce.
Frozen: I just want to point out that Thimbleweed Park got many free updates already: hint-line, new conversations between characters, arcade etc.
If this DLC is really THAT useless, than I can kick it from my wishlist I hope.

Could the studio please bring the SOUNDTRACK here instead? That one is still missing for purchase. :(
Vainamoinen: The outraged don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Clearly. Originally the actor produced those beep sounds with his mouth. After many careful months of digital manipulation they have managed to unbeep his lines.
Not trying to whine abut "business practices" or how "disappointed I am in my CHILDHOOD HERO, Our Lord and Saviour Ron Gilbert", I just have an honest-to-god question about how the DLC works: I bought it since I truly want to hear how Ransome sounds, uncensored. Then, I installed it. Thing is, there is nothing in the game options clearly stating whether the "unbeeping" is enabled or disabled. Am I to assume that, once you install the DLC, Ransome gets uncensored by default, and if I want to play with the beeps again I need to uninstall the DLC?