It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's about forking time!

Ransome Unbeeped is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
He may not be handsome, but he's *beeping* Ransome! The potty-mouthed clown of Thimbleweed Park, who's consistently amusing but never amused, is finally getting un-censored in this very unwholesome DLC. Let his mouth run wild, unrestrained by those annoying *beeping* sounds, which were added in a misguided effort to preserve his political correctness.
A fool's errand, that was.
hummer010: Wrong. It shouldn't be there at all. Ever. The beeping is part of a carefully crafted joke. Remove the beeping, ruin a bunch of jokes. Removing the beeps is like giving people the option to remove the "Doh"s from The Simpsons.

I think it's a genius tongue-in-cheek joke by the dev. You want to remove the beeps, and actually make the game less funny? Give me $2.
Surely you realise what I meant is if they're going to have it then it should be free. I agree the game doesn't need it, but given that it's literally just a half-finished version of the beeped dialogue it's a bit much to charge anything for it. If it's a tongue-in-cheek joke then it's still a dick move to charge people for a joke that's on them.
ScarletEmerald: How dare the developers offer us the opportunity to buy content that some people don't want! But all the people who will stop decorating their wishlists with this title will sure show them!
It's not like people are saying it shouldn't exist, just that it shouldn't cost money for something that already naturally existed as part of the development process.
Post edited March 02, 2018 by SirPrimalform
high rated
SirPrimalform: It's not like people are saying it shouldn't exist, just that it shouldn't cost money for something that already naturally existed as part of the development process.
People are saying that they're going to refuse to buy the base game because this DLC exists. If the DLC hadn't existed they would have bought the game, but becuase we now have the oprtion to buy the DLC, they won't buy the game.
Post edited March 02, 2018 by ScarletEmerald
low rated
they have to be kidding right? if i had known they would make a money grab for something that should have been an option in the game to start with, i'd never have bought it in the first place. it's bad enough the graphics look like they were done in MSPaint. never buying from these devs again.
high rated
Just fyi: https://grumpygamer.com/ransome_unbeeped
It's a little depressing that a few people are actually upset that we're charging $1.99 for this. Making this wasn't free. It took a lot of work. Programming, testing, audio editing, etc. It feels like people think it was just copying a bunch of audio files over. I've always objected to DLC that was made at the same time as the game and all they do is flip a bit. This is not that kind of DLC. The code to make this work was not written until just a few months ago. We had the idea of MAYBE doing this DLC during the development, but none of the work was done.
Frenzie: Just fyi: https://grumpygamer.com/ransome_unbeeped

It's a little depressing that a few people are actually upset that we're charging $1.99 for this. Making this wasn't free. It took a lot of work. Programming, testing, audio editing, etc. It feels like people think it was just copying a bunch of audio files over. I've always objected to DLC that was made at the same time as the game and all they do is flip a bit. This is not that kind of DLC. The code to make this work was not written until just a few months ago. We had the idea of MAYBE doing this DLC during the development, but none of the work was done.
Frenzie:
So it isn't a joke after all?
Anime-BlackWolf: Those shining poms are cheat-codes for people, who want to progress fast in the game. Time seems to be quite value for those, so they want to shorten the grinding. That is okay, it does not change the game.
... the *beep*? Poms are literally "our game is boring shit, pay us more to unfuck it". It does change the game - it makes it playable while the original is admittedly not. Some companies already DMCA save editors.

SirPrimalform: It's not like people are saying it shouldn't exist, just that it shouldn't cost money for something that already naturally existed as part of the development process.
ScarletEmerald: People are saying that they're going to refuse to buy the base game because this DLC exists. If the DLC hadn't existed they would have bought the game, but becuase we now have the oprtion to buy the DLC, they won't buy the game.
No they wouldn't.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: If you still haven't bought Thimbleweed Park yet you aren't a P'n'C enthusiast.
wat
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Maybe those ratings on GOG and Steam are all from non-point'n'click enthusiasts?
This is enthusiasm. Enthusiasts have strong feelings about X, both ways. Following the herd is simply following the herd.

I instabought the game and hated it. It's an overlong unfunny joke that shits on the genre, sympathy, human relations, and humor. I'm still viciously butthurt about it. Some may like it, whatever. But pointing out positive reviews as "proof" we're wrong is dumb.

---
I'd buy the DLC because I do love me some creative gratuitous swearing, but it's require replaying the game. Ew.
high rated
You guys know the movie Memento? It's presented from the perspective of a guy with no long-term memory, played from the end to the beginning in ten minute clips (or so). It's a pretty cool concept the first time around, with story-changing surprises as you discover what had taken place before. The disc release has an easter egg that allows you to view the story in chronological order. Does it destroy the movie? Obviously. Did I still buy it, view it, and think it gave me a new take on a movie that I already liked? Oh yes.

Pretty similar thing here. The bleeps are part of the game and this ruins the joke. If you want your game intact and to keep your two peanuts worth of money, ignore that this exists. Me, I just grabbed it.
ScarletEmerald: People are saying that they're going to refuse to buy the base game because this DLC exists. If the DLC hadn't existed they would have bought the game, but becuase we now have the oprtion to buy the DLC, they won't buy the game.
Starmaker: No they wouldn't.
Yes. They remove it from their wishlist, threatening to not buy it in the future. As if they would have ever bought it without 70% discount...

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: If you still haven't bought Thimbleweed Park yet you aren't a P'n'C enthusiast.
Starmaker: wat
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Maybe those ratings on GOG and Steam are all from non-point'n'click enthusiasts?
Starmaker: This is enthusiasm. Enthusiasts have strong feelings about X, both ways. Following the herd is simply following the herd.
I know what enthusiasm means. That's why I didn't object Laberbacke thinking it's crap. That's fine.

Starmaker: I instabought the game and hated it.
That's also fine.

But it's bullshit calling yourself point'n'click enthusiast when you still haven't bothered playing a game which was released nearly one year ago (PC platforms) when it's not some kind of obscure game. This game got Aggie rewards like "best adventure 2017" or "best traditional adventure 2017" so it's hard to be overlooked.

And then threatening the developer to remove it from the wishlist? How childish is that!

Starmaker: I'd buy the DLC because I do love me some creative gratuitous swearing, but it's require replaying the game. Ew.
Good news is that there is a little bit more content now when you haven't played it since original release.
Just to situate. Have you played and liked/disliked Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle ?
I guess that this DLC *beeps*
Rixasha: You guys know the movie Memento? It's presented from the perspective of a guy with no long-term memory, played from the end to the beginning in ten minute clips (or so). It's a pretty cool concept the first time around, with story-changing surprises as you discover what had taken place before. The disc release has an easter egg that allows you to view the story in chronological order. Does it destroy the movie? Obviously. Did I still buy it, view it, and think it gave me a new take on a movie that I already liked? Oh yes.

Pretty similar thing here. The bleeps are part of the game and this ruins the joke. If you want your game intact and to keep your two peanuts worth of money, ignore that this exists. Me, I just grabbed it.
comparing the film Memento (excellent btw) having extras on it's disc, to a game that is missing something that would have been a typical option on any other games of the genre, is a very unreasonable use of context.

now one could say it was never an option in the first place? well now that it DOES exist it should have been there all along. if you accept trends like this from developers it will lead to worse. hell, Total War Warhammer has DLC for gore, and look at MG Survive now charging for extra save game slots. again, these are things that have always been standard in games and now we are being charged extra to include it.

take a look at Brutal Legend, you have the options to turn on and off both adult language, and gore. this was the norm in a mature game up until a few years ago. developers are stripping down games and feeding them out in pieces.

and even if it is a joke, it's a dick move...
Post edited March 02, 2018 by tedeee
Telika: Just to situate. Have you played and liked/disliked Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle ?
Zak: yes, liked
Maniac Mansion: no
Day of the Tentacle: remake only, liked
(Monkey Island 1 ans 2: loved to bits, too bad there were no more games in the series)

Really it's all about the ending. I instabought Thimbleweed Park, found out it wouldn't run on my integrated graphics card, then stayed up until 11 pm at work playing. Loved the art, loved the writing, loved the atmosphere. Normally, I strongly prefer an environment I can live in (so, RPGs, metroidvanias, Quest for Glory), but their "summer night in a weird-ass town" was so brilliantly authentic I got goosebumps. I picked up that one speck of dust and HOLY SHIT YOU CAN DO THAT IN AN ADVENTURE GAME
WHOA

That was the end of my first day; I biked home and couldn't stop thinking about the game, the characters, the plot threads, how it all would fit together; I woke up my nongaming friend and insisted on telling her about the game at 1 am. I was observing a beautiful intricate mechanism from the outside and wondering how it all fit together under the hood (best game ever? BESTEST GAME EVER ZOMG YESSSSS)

Spoiler alert, turns out it's hollow and rotten. *Beep* me for caring. Well *beep* you too, Ron Gilbert.
deleted
Post edited March 02, 2018 by Fairfox
I agree that's a silly stance, but it doesn't invalidate the stance that it's really cheap to charge money for something like this.
Sad... Very sad...
Post edited March 02, 2018 by JVland