It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Help from above.

<span class="bold">Thea: The Awakening</span>, a turn-based strategy/RPG of leading your people out of a fantastic catastrophe, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Did you know that Thea is "goddess" in Greek? Well it is. It's also you in this addictive hybrid of roguelike exploration, card-game combat mechanics, and strategic planning. And you will need to master all three, if you are to ever save your destitute people from the apocalypse that befell the land, letting horrors of the Slavic mythology run rampant below a horrible, all-encompassing blanket of darkness.

This is not a story about glory and battle-hardened heroes but one of powerless survivors fighting for existence. You've got a huge, procedurally-generated world of hexagons to explore, thousands of items to craft or gather, and hundreds of random story events to navigate as you fight your way towards the ending that better reflects your choices. Your people look to you for their arduous awakening. Do not let them down. It would be rather ungodly.

Secure the survival of your believers one divine turn at a time in <span class="bold">Thea: The Awakening</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% discount will last until February 09, 1:59 PM GMT.
Lukaszmik: I'm not a great fan of card games, but Thea's combat works nicely. The other elements are pretty fantastic.

A lot of the content is randomly generated. And by "a lot," I mean majority of it. From monster lairs, to "events," to quest locations... There's a lot of RNG in the game, and on higher difficulties it can get pretty unforgiving (especially if you do not know the game mechanics by heart). A lot of the game consists of attempting to mitigate any "bad" RNG outcomes by preparing for them or adjusting your gameplay to accommodate them (that high-tier crafting material spawning across the map behind several overpowered monster spawns? Yeah, you probably need to rethink your long-term strategy XD)

It's very much a "rogue-like" game in that you need a decent knowledge of game mechanics not to lose - again, at least on higher difficulties. If you don't like games that require several false starts to learn them, you'll probably be frustrated and/or bored by Thea.
Good review. You are probably right about higher difficulties. I played my first game on default difficulty and I managed to win without really knowing what I was doing (at the start at least). But I'm not above savescumming when RNG throws me a bad deal, and I was incredibly lucky with village location - two wood spots, sea weeds and fishes (I didn't realize how lucky that was until I started my next game where I didn't have ANY mining spots near the village).

Lukaszmik: [...]
Anyway, not to end up with a wall of text, I'll say just this - after buying Thea, I clocked in almost 160 hours in a matter of about two and a half weeks (and yes, I do work full time).

Not bad for an impulse buy.
Similar with me. It has strong "I have to go to work in HOW MANY HOURS??" factor. I generally don't like roguelikes, but there are exceptions so I'm willing to give them benefit of doubt, especially if there is decent demo. And this one was very pleasant surprise.
Gnostic: For Wind Walker, they actually get less then half of what they originally got in the first funding. I don't know why the devs think it is a good idea to make a movie first in the second attempt. They lost quite a portion of their original backers changing from game tot movie.

If they continue pitching the game and with the revised funding goal, they should hit it. Still, maybe the cost of making a movie is cheaper than a game, I don't know much about movies.
That particular project was designed as a "transmedia" property, meaning it was intended to exist in several forms (the source novel was going to be translated, there would be a game, a movie, and who knows what else). So my guess is that they thought the game was too expensive or difficult to fund at the needed level, so they tried to get the movie made instead. Then they would count on the success of the movie to drive interest in the game, not realising that movie-to-game conversions have a generally bad reputation in the gaming community. :)
Post edited February 03, 2016 by IAmSinistar
This might be a little bit like King of Dragon Pass. Which would be a good thing.
Lukaszmik: *snip*
Luned: +1 for this extensive review, thanks!
You're welcome, even if I didn't really mean that as a review (my post is missing a LOT of things to say about Thea - though admittedly, most of them good - at least in my subjective opinion). Hope it helps you to make up your mind, though - personally I'd always recommend to give it a go. Even if you end up not liking it (hey, to each of their own), the developers are definitely worthy of support :)

huan: You are probably right about higher difficulties. I played my first game on default difficulty and I managed to win without really knowing what I was doing (at the start at least).
Try 300%. Now that's where !FUN! starts... dwarf-fortress style XD

I think the difficulty balance got somewhat reworked as well - a few of my early memorable ignominious defeats (200-250% difficulty) were caused by three-skull enemy attacks around turn 30 or 40... >.>

huan: It has strong "I have to go to work in HOW MANY HOURS??" factor. I generally don't like roguelikes, but there are exceptions so I'm willing to give them benefit of doubt, especially if there is decent demo. And this one was very pleasant surprise.
"One... more... turn... hey, why are the birds chirping outside...?!"

Carradice: This might be a little bit like King of Dragon Pass. Which would be a good thing.
Wouldn't really say those two are comparable. They do approach similar subject matter, but take rather different approaches. You do not have generic "people" as in KotDP - every character in Thea comes with a lot of statistics that determine their role. On top of that, each can be outfitted with gear that will either further strengthen their specialization, or make up for lacks in some other areas.

There's a lot of "survivor" type feeling to the game, as well. You do "supply runs" to resource nodes that may be several days away (and the night -is- full of terrors - or at least much more aggressive enemies ;) ), or try to scavenge resources and items from encounters. One very nice thing about Thea is that combat is not only not the sole option to resolve situations, but often can in fact be a lesser choice in terms of potential outcome. Though you probably should not rely on social skills to help against a dragon...

Your settlement can be upgraded with a number of buildings that bring various boni depending on the actual material that you use for them. Some can be built several times, others do not stack, but you do have hard cap of 10 buildings total. Also, there is a difficulty setting that restricts you to only a single building from each category (the game can be cheesed pretty heavily by erecting multiples of certain buildings) - and frankly, it makes the game all that more interesting.

You have the usual "research" tree, and even if it has a limited number of unlocks, they are -very- meaningful. Especially on higher difficulties, where you are always starved for research points.

Since "the world" itself becomes increasingly more challenging over time, you are very much on the clock. A lot of the gameplay comes from trying to stay ahead of the increasing general difficulty of enemies (and here RNG can screw you up real good if you do not aggressively pursue counters to possible antagonistic situations).

Then there's the layer where you are basically running around doing "quests" and firing up random scripted events...

Thea is a lot of things, and the beauty of it is that it was put together in a way that, when all is said and done, does work well.

On the other hand, it makes it pretty damn hard to categorize. But it's definitely the proverbial "good potato."

(Also, why are you still reading this, should've bought the game already and actually enjoy ;) ).
Carradice: This might be a little bit like King of Dragon Pass. Which would be a good thing.
I had the same association and yes that is a good thing. both are fantastic games. there is something to it, caring for your people and trying to get every single being through. as already mentioned, this is a tough game.

a lot of content, intuitive gamedesign and lots and lots of atmosphere.
Nirth: I meant that I agreed with ShadowWulfe's assessment that so many games nowadays are procedurally generated and I also added permadeath as a trending game mechanic, but I'm glad you answered how the game works. I'll wishlist it for now as I've too many games on my hand.
Good lord. So im not the only one...talk about overused terms.. like zombies in games....lol
Lukaszmik: Awesome game. Bought it on Steam (GOG being late as usual...) at a whim, and was very, very pleasantly surprised.

I'm not a great fan of card games, but Thea's combat works nicely. The other elements are pretty fantastic.

A lot of the content is randomly generated. And by "a lot," I mean majority of it. From monster lairs, to "events," to quest locations... There's a lot of RNG in the game, and on higher difficulties it can get pretty unforgiving (especially if you do not know the game mechanics by heart). A lot of the game consists of attempting to mitigate any "bad" RNG outcomes by preparing for them or adjusting your gameplay to accommodate them (that high-tier crafting material spawning across the map behind several overpowered monster spawns? Yeah, you probably need to rethink your long-term strategy XD)

It's very much a "rogue-like" game in that you need a decent knowledge of game mechanics not to lose - again, at least on higher difficulties. If you don't like games that require several false starts to learn them, you'll probably be frustrated and/or bored by Thea.

There are quite a few difficulty options you can use to fine-tune a session to your personal preferences, though.

One thing worth noting is that the "Slavic mythology" angle can get pretty weak. While there are a lot of Slavic folklore elements in the game, there's also a lot of "Tolkienesque" parts that, unfortunately, water down the uniqueness of the settings.

Anyway, not to end up with a wall of text, I'll say just this - after buying Thea, I clocked in almost 160 hours in a matter of about two and a half weeks (and yes, I do work full time).

Not bad for an impulse buy.

Edit: One last thing I forgot to mention - the development team was -very- active and responsive on Steam forums after the game launched, and they are still working on improvements (as well as additional content - some of it apparently meant to be completely free of charge).
Thanks for the detailed info. This was very helpful.
Could this work under Windows XP?
gscotti: Could this work under Windows XP?
It requires DirectX 10 or better so no (XP only has DX 9c).