It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is now available, DRM-free. Get it 15% off until October 3rd, 5pm UTC.

In Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, the player journeys from a doomed Arkham into the depths of the Abyss. Create your own character based on 1920's archetypes and carve a path through a broken and mysterious world.

Your desperate battle against forces beyond comprehension will haunt you until the end. Physical combat will be challenging, spellcasting will have dire consequences, and your sanity will be strained to the breaking point by unknown abominations. Sometimes the best solution will be to flee what lurks beyond the threshold.
bler144: thanks for the review - hope you sort it out and enjoy the rest! ;)
The game's been growing on me. It's less of a Min / Max / get the "best" result sort of game, and more of a "use the tools you picked, make your choices and accept the consequences" sort of game.

Once I accepted that and started to stumble my way through as my character it became a bit less frustrating and more interesting.

I'm still a bit ticked that it looks like you're locked in at 2 "main" companions. I *think* if you find new companions you have to literally ditch one of your existing ones or miss out on the new one.
So I might leave this as a review as well - but it's a bit rambling and angry LOL ;) ...

There's a good game in there somewhere, but right now it's an exercise in frustration, save scumming and poor documentation.

I really wanted to like it, and it captures that desperate failure of Lovecraft... but as a game I'm not sure it's very fun - a ton of neat systems under the surface - but you have to wade through impossible odds and uneven combat before you get to play with the fun stuff.

There's something cool under the surface, but as a game it's just not very fun. Kinda bummed :(

Dominated by RNG (seriously, it's all random with no ability to plan for even the simplest things like turn order which will change wildly from turn to turn). And did I mention you'll waste actions points because the game can't figure out if you're trying to loot an empty corpse for the seventh time in a turn, or actually move into that square?

Very disappointed.

I'm usually not one to bitch about random (RNGesus) in tactical game, but seriously you have next to ZERO information in this game. Why the fuck did anything happen? Who knows, roll the dice, fuck it. It sucks because I had such high hopes :(

I just wanted to play some neat tactical combats as my guys went insane, researched new things to craft and steadily improve my character and gear.

Instead I watched as random turn orders bounced all over the place, my guys hit for 1 or 2 damage, or shot someone on their own team in the back or hit an enemy for 10, for no reason at all. And I had no chance to influence any of it. I finally get what all those people bitching about Blackguards were complaining about.

And did I mention there was no documentation to explain even the basic stuff in combat you'll have no clue about? Why do my guys have little circles with (8) in them next to their names? Fuck it, who cares it's all random anyway. Which sucks because there was a ton of neat stuff there without that nonsense.

A proper manual and a ton less RNG would have made this game a lot of fun. As it is now it's just frustrating and a lot of missed potential.
DF1871: I played it some time (around 8h) and it could be one of the best Lovecraftrpg's ever..if..if...not for the many small bugs, i didn't noticed anything gamebreaking but there many small ones they can be solved by reloading but you can only save/quit and this savegame is erased after loading.
Lone_Scout: After you sure? My savequit file doesn't disappear after loading... The point is that there are only a few save slots so, summing these saves and autosaves, you can't go back a long period in time if you mess it up... I suppose it's a design decision, one I don't personally dislike, but I know most people won't like at all.
About the bugs, yes, there are lots of them. None game breaking, but this game needs some polishing. In my case, some events appear again and again, and a follower started losing health and died without any cause, to mention something.
The game translation/localization is really good (better than many AAA games...) but it's also unpolished (a few missing strings, and the script to change certain words depending on the PC's gender doesn't work properly (at least in Spanish)
In any other aspects, the game is really good. A must have for any Lovecraft fan, probably the best game of that thematic I've ever played.
I just reinstalled the game to test it(deinstalled it to wait for some patches before i make a new try)...
If i Quit/save and reload that save it#s gone after reloading. If i load a other save it's still there, might be some weird bug or i some settings i did not notice but that's the way it works for me.

@Ixam
As far as i can say they#re using the Chtulhu Pen&Paper/Boardgame Ruleset or something very similar to it.
The problem is...most things are not ingame, nor in a manual or the ingamewiki...
Some of the more RNG-things...like the behaviour of mad enemys is random per Lore, my only problem with this is...for many fights you either need some luck to survie or you need to play a melee-Soldier if you don't like restarting a fight several times.