It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mummy issues.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 34% discount until November 17, 1PM UTC.
This action/adventure from 2003 starring the intrepid Egyptian hero comes to the PC for the first time, sporting high-resolution support, HD textures, a proper mouse + keyboard control scheme, and certain visual improvements. Bring your wits, your reflexes, and your sidekick The Mummy along, as you journey to ancient Egypt for an explosive showdown with mythical beasts and feisty gods.

For some groovy beats, get the game's Soundtrack 20% off.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited November 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: What we were actually talking about at this point is how likely it is PC gamers having at least one modern controller and/or if it's OK to demand such thing.
Agreed.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Their age is also irrelevant. If those are "old" gamers still playing games on original DOS machines that's nice for them.
But also old gamers can use modern hardware, including controllers.
Even though this is in general correct it's more likely for older gamers to have grown up and therefore beimg acsustomed using kb+m.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Sure, I cannot answer this question but at least every PC gamer I know personally which plays games other than Microsoft Solitaire and web-based games do have one.
And several of my friends (who also don't just play Solitaire or web based games) don't own a controller and they don't plan to use one because they like playing games using kb+m.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: (I'm sure you meant controller)
I am also sure ... ooops :)

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: You are presuming developers being lazy but I presume they actually know what they are doing and assume they develop their games with a controller because they like it better this way, and also add keyboard controls.
But not the other way around.
I don't blame them for thinking of controller use first and then of kb+m afterwards but unfortunately they did not do this. They just assigned pretty random keys with the actions without any possibility to change this. So for me this means no normal keyboard use at all. Again: I blame them for the missing option to rebind the used keys - nothing more. I never asked the devs to redesign the game so it could be played better with kb+m - all I asked for was an additional option which should be mandatory in every PC game that is using kb at all.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Sure there may be people preferring keyboard controls over controller when playing platformers. I would have assumed that the other way around is the majority but I can't say for sure of course.
Even if you are correct it does not matter as long as we are not talking about 4-5 people the people in question still are relevant potential buyers so why not care about them?

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Because as you guys said, a lot of PCs have a keyboard and a mouse. But my opinion is still that developers (when talking about platformers) nowadays develop for a controller first but not because of portability with consoles.
But that is exactly the point. PC gamers always do own a PC and a mouse and that's the reason every game should offer the possibility to be played at least normally with those periphals as well - even if playing with a controller (because the game was designed this way) would still offer the better experience here.
Post edited November 12, 2017 by MarkoH01
This sure went off on a tangent. (To say a PC gamer should have a controller... what??? *baffled* That'd be part of the definition of a primarily console gamer who also uses a PC, or a somewhat platform-agnostic gamer, but someone who clearly plays games on PCs, doesn't or would at least much rather not have to do with consoles, will be focused on the PCs standard control methods, which are keyboard and mouse. They may have a quite fancy keyboard and mouse, maybe even one of those additional macro keypads or what not, but those are the PC controls.)

On topic, though it was already mentioned, while inexcusable not to at least have an external utility to edit that file (I'm sure anyone knowing a bit of coding and with a list of those codes could whip one up... those codes may be more of a chore actually, to have everything for every key), any decent gaming mouse, with extra buttons and allowing button reassignment and multiple profiles, should be able to work around the matter to some extent, if you create a profile for the game and bind those default keys to the buttons you want.
MarkoH01: it's more likely for older gamers to have grown up and therefore beimg acsustomed using kb+m.
I guess PC gamers are a strange kind of species.
And I am just strange in another way then those PC gamers you are talking about.

MarkoH01: all I asked for was an additional option which should be mandatory in every PC game that is using kb at all
Yeah, I am not protesting against this.

MarkoH01: But that is exactly the point.
Not really, your point was that me claiming controllers being superior is nonsense, but when games are optimised for e.g. analogue input then it's just the intended way.
Of course this doesn't mean keyboard controls will be bad, but controllers should be superior in such case.

MarkoH01: PC gamers always do own a [keyboard] and a mouse
Hm, this is actually not true anymore unless you are thinking about desktops only.

- Laptops use a touchpad and don't have a mouse unless you carry one extra. And touchpads quite suck for games like FPS and also point'n'click games (adventures, RTS etc.)
You also shouldn't expect their keyboards being durable for heavy gaming sessions.
Some laptops have touchscreens which work great as mouse replacements for some games (like some p'n'c adventure games), but not well for most other ones.

- Then there are tablets/ultrabooks whit similar characteristics. I have a tablet for which I've bought a keyboard, but I don't use it for gaming because I'm afraid to break it in the long run.

When going on vacation I'm taking controllers with me. They are great for games on the go like platformers which can also be played coop and with kids etc.
Of course I also bring a Bluetooth mouse, but it's mostly for work.
You will probably freak out now when I tell you: I have played Thimbleweed Park mostly with a controller :-)

Cavalary: To say a PC gamer should have a controller... what??? *baffled* That'd be part of the definition of a primarily console gamer who also uses a PC, or a somewhat platform-agnostic gamer
Well, I was never a big fan of consoles. I liked some games which I have played at friends but beside an original Game Boy I only owned one other console in my life.
But I do appreciate the work they have put into refining those controller-thingamabobs.
I play all different kind of games and while I would never think of such crime to play an FPS with one they do work well for others, like platformers or games like FIFA and generally couch multiplayer and coop games.

I do remember playing 2-player games on a single keyboard back in the days. It involved a lot of beep tones :-)
That's not something I miss.

Cavalary: someone who clearly plays games on PCs, doesn't or would at least much rather not have to do with consoles
You making me feel a little bit like that I am, as a PC gamer, have to hate those consoles folks :-)

Cavalary: On topic
What's wrong with you!

Cavalary: those codes may be more of a chore actually, to have everything for every key
They are using SDL. You can look up SDL scancodes here: SDL_scancode.h (they match with their comments in Sphinx.ini)
MarkoH01: But again: The biggest problem is the silence of the devs/publisher (which hopefully will be broken tomorrow) because maybe they already are planning to fix this and so the whole discussion would not be necessary at all.
they actually talk, just (almost) never here ...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/606710/discussions/0/1483235412204767496/
We plan on adding proper, re-mappable, keyboard support soon enough.
We didn't plan on releasing the keyboard controls like this, but manpower is limited.
First of all: Thanks to immi101, for doing Eurocom's / THQ Nordic's PR-work for them and keeping us in the loop.

immi101: they actually talk, just (almost) never here ...

immi101:

We didn't plan on releasing the keyboard controls like this, but manpower is limited.
immi101:
Now, to be fair, Swyter (the developer in question) also said:

This is very high in the to-do list.
But basically Eurocom / THQ Nordic GmbH are saying they view re-mappable keyboard controls as a nonessential feature for a modern PC port and that they had no qualms to release the version of their game that will get the most reviews without it. And as second class citizens, GOG customers are not worth talking to more than the PR-Hello while Steam users get their replies on a Saturday morning.
But I'm sure they didn't mean to marginalize us. Just you wait: In 2 weeks there will be a statement about a number of fixes on a third party site, mentioning the GOG version in an embedded clause...

I forgot what the incentive to buy a game on release was... It seem more and more like a gamble to buy a game for a release discount and hope that it will be feature complete and bug free later along the line. And I'm not into gambling.
Looks like I got a handle on the audio bug for now, thanks to this post. That wouldn't even have occured to me since there was no prior existing PC version, but thankfully it works to a decent enough degree where I only have to restart the game after long enough time (2-3 hours) to make the eventually recurring audio bug go away again.
Post edited November 13, 2017 by Mr.Mumbles
MarkoH01: But again: The biggest problem is the silence of the devs/publisher (which hopefully will be broken tomorrow) because maybe they already are planning to fix this and so the whole discussion would not be necessary at all.
immi101: they actually talk, just (almost) never here ...

immi101:

immi101:
Oh, immi101 - I am NOT surprised at all that they do support the mighty steam plattform. But they offered their game here as well and then they left us alone. Somebody notice a pattern here? Unfortunately this is the way it always goes and I can only remember a few devs who were so kind of visiting GOG community because they realized those are customers, too and you cannot force GOG customers who have theit own forums to come over to the steam forums if they have questions. So yes, they are talking but to the wrong people and so I still blame them.

But it least it is good to hear that they are planning to patch the option in question into the game.
HeartsAndRainbows: But basically Eurocom / THQ Nordic GmbH are saying they view re-mappable keyboard controls as a nonessential feature for a modern PC port and that they had no qualms to release the version of their game that will get the most reviews without it. And as second class citizens, GOG customers are not worth talking to more than the PR-Hello while Steam users get their replies on a Saturday morning.
But I'm sure they didn't mean to marginalize us. Just you wait: In 2 weeks there will be a statement about a number of fixes on a third party site, mentioning the GOG version in an embedded clause...
Exactly. I guess I will go over to steam just to tell them exactly that. They should know what I think about their behaviour. Hey, if I don't get any dev support on GOG maybe I could get a discount on the game as well? ;)

Edit: Just posted them a friendly nudge in this direction (also posted a link to the game forum of Sphinx).
Post edited November 13, 2017 by MarkoH01
Have the system requirements for this game just changed here on GOG? I could have sworn it had stated: ''OpenGL 3.0 Core Profile compatible like GeForce 8600". The emphasis in this case being on OpenGL 3.0. Now it says the game requires OpenGL 3.2...

As of right now on Steam, it says there that the game requires OpenGL 3.0 http://store.steampowered.com/app/606710/Sphinx_and_the_Cursed_Mummy/

Why the discrepancy?
Attachments:
RetroCodger426: Have the system requirements for this game just changed here on GOG? I could have sworn it had stated: ''OpenGL 3.0 Core Profile compatible like GeForce 8600". The emphasis in this case being on OpenGL 3.0. Now it says the game requires OpenGL 3.2...

As of right now on Steam, it says there that the game requires OpenGL 3.0 http://store.steampowered.com/app/606710/Sphinx_and_the_Cursed_Mummy/

Why the discrepancy?
Because the core profile feature was actually implemented in OpenGL 3.2: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/OpenGL_Context#OpenGL_3.2_and_Profiles
RetroCodger426: Have the system requirements for this game just changed here on GOG? I could have sworn it had stated: ''OpenGL 3.0 Core Profile compatible like GeForce 8600". The emphasis in this case being on OpenGL 3.0. Now it says the game requires OpenGL 3.2...

Why the discrepancy?
JudasIscariot: Because the core profile feature was actually implemented in OpenGL 3.2: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/OpenGL_Context#OpenGL_3.2_and_Profiles
Thankyou, that's somewhat informative. I should have explained in my first post that the reason I am asking these two questions is because I had purchased the game believing I should be able to run it. This is because I was under the impression that it required 3.0. Either it was changed on the product page on here sometime since yesterday or I'm confusing that with seeing the description on Steam - which does indeed state '3.0'. I assume the system requirements are passed to various distributors from the game's publisher(?), so my understanding is that the inconsistency is down to them and not GOG and Steam. Whatever the case, it's all very misleading, inconsistent and confusing - especially for those not aware of the OpenGL core profile feature being implemented with 3.2. A fact I obviously was unaware of.

Anyway, the game won't start. I receive an OpenGL error. I've contacted Support, but so far have not received a reply and I don't fancy my chances of getting a refund if this is my mistake, so it's looking increasingly like I've chucked a tenner down the drain for naught.
*EDIT: GOG did not receive my first email for some reason. Later, they offered a refund. Just thought I should clear that up. *

For more clarity, and to answer my first question, did GOG actually state '3.0' in the product description and then later change it to 3.2?

**Edit To Update:** The GL issue was solved by the developer (very promptly too!). The most recent update (at the time of writing) completely fixed it. https://www.gog.com/forum/sphinx_and_the_cursed_mummy/changelog/post3

Thankyou!
Post edited November 23, 2017 by RetroCodger426
ThomNG: Wohoo - another classic jewel from the past is now available on GOG :) Enjoy and have a great weekend in advance!
Thank you for this nice surprise release :)
Could we have Deadfall Adventures here next please...?
blackfeld: This is unfortunate. Can you confirm Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy for Linux is definitely coming to GOG? Once again, this would have been a day 1 GOG purchase for me (just like Observer). And — once again — the Linux version is missing here, but not on Steam. It‘s a bit frustrating, to be honest. :-(
It's here now. :)
It's great seeing all those updates coming so quickly to GOG too, thanks!

Linux version is up again and those nasty sound loop bugs seem to be fixed for good now.
Re: The OpenGL confusion. Looks like there's been a development:https://www.gog.com/forum/sphinx_and_the_cursed_mummy/opengl_error_at_launch_will_not_let_me_start_the_game/post3

So fingers crossed!

*Edit* It's fixed. Works fine now with OpenGL 3.0
https://www.gog.com/forum/sphinx_and_the_cursed_mummy/changelog/post3
Post edited November 23, 2017 by RetroCodger426