It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mummy issues.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 34% discount until November 17, 1PM UTC.
This action/adventure from 2003 starring the intrepid Egyptian hero comes to the PC for the first time, sporting high-resolution support, HD textures, a proper mouse + keyboard control scheme, and certain visual improvements. Bring your wits, your reflexes, and your sidekick The Mummy along, as you journey to ancient Egypt for an explosive showdown with mythical beasts and feisty gods.

For some groovy beats, get the game's Soundtrack 20% off.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited November 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
Well here's a blast from the past. I remember enjoying this on the PS2 :)

Although i do recall the second half of the game got pretty far in development before the company went under i think. I assume this is still the first half of the game? In which case will the second half ever get completed?
linuxvangog: We had the Linux version in our hands, but our tests indicated that some rough edges still need addressing before we will be able to release Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy to our dear penguins. Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay!
Thanks for the heads up! It would be nicer though if you could put some note about it in the release announcements when that happens :) It's not like THQ Nordic or others would get any bad rep by it. Linux users will ask anyway about why it's missing, such things are understandable.
Post edited November 10, 2017 by shmerl
rtcvb32: Well here's a blast from the past. I remember enjoying this on the PS2 :)

Although i do recall the second half of the game got pretty far in development before the company went under i think. I assume this is still the first half of the game? In which case will the second half ever get completed?
If I had to guess... depends on the sales of this remaster (assuming the source code is not lost).
The low quality-video on the gamecard is a bit irritating. Instead of re-using this very old promo video from back in the day, a new one would have been much better to promote the game.
Post edited November 10, 2017 by seppelfred
Very nice, thank so much THQ Nordic & GOG! <3
IFW: If I had to guess... depends on the sales of this remaster (assuming the source code is not lost).
So probably No...

On the other hand, easier engines and being x86 PC that's being developed for and not having to make a physical media, the cost to re-entry and to continue hopefully won't be too high.

I remember this game being beautiful, playing smoothly, was awesome, and could have been HD if the output had supported it, it was that good.

Oh well. Nice to see more good games coming out. Just a few days ago SPAZ 2 came out :) I look forward to playing it if/when I can, but today is not that day (not on this laptop at least).
Cool. I remember eyeing that back in the Gamecube days. I never did get around to playing it.
muntdefems: Thanks! Good to know it's being worked on. :)
That still leaves the question if it is “being worked on by the best men” (i.e. not at all)? ;-)
muntdefems: Any ETA for the Linux version?
linuxvangog: Hey muntdefems,

We had the Linux version in our hands, but our tests indicated that some rough edges still need addressing before we will be able to release Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy to our dear penguins. Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay!
This is unfortunate. Can you confirm Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy for Linux is definitely coming to GOG? Once again, this would have been a day 1 GOG purchase for me (just like Observer). And — once again — the Linux version is missing here, but not on Steam. It‘s a bit frustrating, to be honest. :-(
I played this game on the GCN back in the day so I have nostalgia towards it, as well. It is a great game, extremely overlooked and underrated, and everyone who likes good old 3D platformer action-adventure games should definitely give it a go. Charming art, funny story, interesting characters, a *lot* of attention to detail (notice the amazing animations), big world to explore, etc.

Having said this, this port is bad. And I mean *BAD*. Sure, the game is still the same, they added a whole lot of graphical bells and whistles (because TotalBiscuit and his graphic whore minion tribe would shit on the game if you couldn't add anti-aliasing x500, adjust the FOV just that "perfect" way so no nerd can complain, add some 750 multisampling, run it at a smooth 50000 frames per second, and whatnot). If you have a controller, this is the best experience you'll ever have with Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. That is, *IF* you have a controller. I don't, as many others, as well. Still, if you're making a modern port of a classic 3D console third-person action-adventure, at least give keyboard+mouse users some degree of customization... nothing is rebindable in this port. Took me a while to even understand what keys do what (WASD to move, Enter is START/PAUSE, action buttons are permanently set to TAB, F, Space and *freaking Esc*, Backspace enters the sub-menu for objectives and collectibles, mouse right button is a cancel button, while moving the mouse conveniently controls the camera, at least). This is not acceptable by any means, especially since there's no in-game prompt telling us what key does what, it just uses the very standard-by-these-days Xbox controller layout, and the player has to figure out what keyboard key corresponds to whatever Xbox button the game tells them to press.

Again: I'm aware "these kinds of games are meant for controller", but if you're making a port to the PC, at least offer a decent enough support for the "default" PC peripherals, which are the keyboard and the mouse. A Hat In Time, for instance, is perfectly playable using KB+M alone, as are many other games of this type. I don't understand why you'd waste so much time and effort upgrading the graphics -- which already looked gorgeous running at 800x600 with no anti-aliasing, no FOV adjustment, no multisampling and 30 frames per second on the consoles --, but completely overlook the control scheme. Even fighting, which was so fun in the original game, is made a chore in this port, as the attack button is permanently set to F, forcing the player to use the same hand they use to move the character to attack, thus making it all a cumbersome mess. At least map that key to mouse left button, for crying out loud... And Esc as an action button?! Who in their right mind would assign any controller face button to Esc?! So far, I only had to use it to crawl as the Mummy, and that is a toggle command, so it's not *that* infuriating, but, still, not your brightest moment, THQ Nordic/Eurocom.

I'm also experiencing very annoying sound glitches, having sound effects loop over and over again; it sometimes subsides by itself but, more often than not, it lasts until I exit an area, a cutscene begins or... another group of sound effects starts looping, replacing the previous loop. This one might be on my end, though, I'll try upgrading my sound drivers and see if that fixes anything.

I'm glad this great game is getting some love, after all these years, as it is, without a doubt, a great overlooked title that didn't get the attention it should have gotten back in the day, but I'm really sad with the state this PC port was released in, particularly the lazy (and downright laughable) keyboard and mouse support.

If you own a controller, by all means, get this game now. If you don't, however, skip it, at least until THQ Nordic releases a patch that lets us rebind key mappings properly, as the game is almost unplayable for KB+M users, at this point.
Just want to let everyone know that yes the door glitch has been fixed

http://steamcommunity.com/app/606710/discussions/0/1483235412205149678/
high rated
Dralel: I was looking up gameplay for this game literally an hour ago for the first time, and now suddenly it's on GOG, what the fuck lol
Your next assignment is to look up gameplay for NOLF 1 and 2
Dralel: I was looking up gameplay for this game literally an hour ago for the first time, and now suddenly it's on GOG, what the fuck lol
HereForTheBeer: Your next assignment is to look up gameplay for NOLF 1 and 2
I cannot second this enough! And Resident Evil 1-3 (originals for sure, remakes second) and Dino Crisis 1 and 2.
What a nice surprise! I was not aware that this game was coming out for the PC. I just bought it and can't wait to play it over the weekend. Thank you for releasing it here.
groze: ...
I second this. Releasing a game on PC without a proper keyboard and mouse support, even not telling what key does what on the keyboard isn't that good.
Post edited November 10, 2017 by Silverhawk170485