It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The right song will make you strong.

Songbringer is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.
A sci-fi action RPG with procedurally-generated worlds and a focus on powerful, long-lost technological devices, secrets, dungeons, bosses, and looking particularly amazing. A recipe for perfection? We think so.

"“Millions of unique worlds? Zelda-style exploration, combat, and puzzling? Be still, my beating heart.”Kotaku

Trailer!
Post edited September 01, 2017 by GOG_Solostran
Imago: I wouldn't say the graphics here is "retro". Does anybody remember any old game that looked like this? The game description doesn't state it either.
True, but that's exactly what "retro" games are right now. Most of them are nothing like the old games they claim to emulate. I still can't believe anyone fell for Strafe's "retro" marketing campaign. They just have crappy graphics and proceduraly generated levels - that's what the "retro" label stands for now. It's just marketing bullshit used to sell low-effort, unoriginal games.
getrdy: Hey, I know this is going to sound off-topic, but how about some opinions on the game, eh?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/01/songbringer-review/
Thanks for these, just read the RPS one but it sounds great (and looks better in motion than stills), I think I'll bump it up my wishlist.
You lost me at procedurally.

There is Diablo and Torchlight, but they are the exceptions, really. Maybe there are some more. Name yours. It can work, but more often, procedurally generated world = lazinesssssss of the developer.
getrdy: Hey, I know this is going to sound off-topic, but how about some opinions on the game, eh?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/01/songbringer-review/
How dare you talk about the actual game? :-)

But yes, the RPS review sounds great, and I have a lot of trust in RPS. The other ones range from ok to good. I've put it on my wishlist for now. Will wait for some more reviews from other players before I decide.

Edit: And I love the fact that by entering the same seed at the beginning you can play exactly the same world again if you want to.
Post edited September 01, 2017 by Falkenherz
Breja: Most of them are nothing like the old games they claim to emulate.
Indeed. They strived to do more with less with the graphics and music, they were fun and in the vast majority they were not procedural, but had clever world design.
deleted
Carradice: procedurally generated world = lazinesssssss of the developer.
Creation of the sophisticated algorithm also requires a lot of work. It can be equally interesting to navigate randomly generated environments, leading to some unexpected findings and encounters, as it is in well designed world. The most interesting thing is that you never know until you try.

Also, good level design follows distinct set of rules, which can be implemented in world generation algorithm. Check the analysis of the original Zelda (which this game "tries to emulate") level design, and you'll see those rules (lock and key concept, enemies placement, etc.) and how they are applied.

I'm not saying that this game has better level design than LoZ or any other "handmade" game, and I'm aware that results of procedural generation can be uninteresting, but it is definitely wrong to call software developer, who wrote the algorithm that creates something playable, lazy.
adaliabooks: Actually, these days I'd say it's easier for an artist to make a game.
Things like Unity and GameMaker mean you need very little actual programming knowledge to make a game, so if you're a decent artist you can make a very pretty looking game without too much effort.

Now if you want to make something more complicated then a basic platformer / shooter etc. you need a programmer, but as long as it looks pretty who cares how it plays right? /s
Are you a programmer? Because you sound like you are.

I work with database admins who are scared shitless of very simple sql. I've seen economists who can't follow a simple for loop.

While engines mostly dispose of the necessity of working with hardware, coding is still required. Even worse, "no coding required" game engines emphasize their idiotic interfaces to the detriment of having a good scripting language; the result is you can't mass-edit anything, you can't have a decent overview of your game, everything is hidden in a menu behind a button behind a checkbox in another menu behind an option that's only accessible when doing a fresh install.

(Yes, I see the sarcasm mark, but I assume it only applies to the last sentence.)
Starmaker: Are you a programmer? Because you sound like you are.

I work with database admins who are scared shitless of very simple sql. I've seen economists who can't follow a simple for loop.

While engines mostly dispose of the necessity of working with hardware, coding is still required. Even worse, "no coding required" game engines emphasize their idiotic interfaces to the detriment of having a good scripting language; the result is you can't mass-edit anything, you can't have a decent overview of your game, everything is hidden in a menu behind a button behind a checkbox in another menu behind an option that's only accessible when doing a fresh install.

(Yes, I see the sarcasm mark, but I assume it only applies to the last sentence.)
Well, more of a programmer than an artist, but not much of either really.

I didn't say that artists could make good games... it can just be easier to throw something together if you can make amazing art. I personally hate Unity because I feel like it's too restricting and as someone who can code it doesn't really provide a lot of advantage over something like libGDX (which still annoys me, but I prefer it).
Even UE4 feels too restrictive (I've never understood why people start with an FPS engine and then basically hack it to make a third person RPG...) from the times I've tried that.
But if you're only coding is copy and pasting stuff from the internet or things you buy through Unity's shop then you can still make a game (and probably have it released on Steam these days) if you can make your own decent art.

However if you have the talent to code a massive open world RPG engine from scratch by yourself but can't draw a 2D sprite or make a 3d model then you don't have much of a game... (admittedly if you are that talented you can probably find some people willing to work with you)
Fairfox: Looks peeerdy, although I'm not into sci-fi nor procedurally-generated. Erm... nor RPGs. But that aside! lol.

Breja: Not when other jaw-dropingly pretty and not preceduraly-generated indie games like Hollow Knight, Wonder Boy, Little Acre or Cuphead are waiting on my wishlist.
Fairfox: "I won't add this game to my Wishlist like the other, prettier games that I'll possibly at some undetermined point buy in the future. Maybe."
Copy/Paste at this point.
I'm not sure what your point is, but then again I never am. This is still the closest to being coherent you've been in years so I guess the new meds are working. Up the dosage and we might get somewhere.
deleted
low rated
Breja: I'm not sure what your point is, but then again I never am. This is still the closest to being coherent you've been in years so I guess the new meds are working. Up the dosage and we might get somewhere.
Fairfox: At this point you're like the Copy/Paste Mah Gripes overlord who simply grumbles at every decision GOGie makes and will constantly detrail any release thread if a game has pixel-art graphics, Copy/Pasting the same opinion in multiple posts in multiple threads as if we're all burning to read it every time, but refuses to leave. You're like an even more boring Tauto, even aping 'You have a mental condition!' style. Actual Lee he's not been around for a while; maybe you've eaten him and absorbed his powers.
Well, maybe if GOG wasn't releasing what looks like the same game so often, I wouldn't make those posts so often. How is commenting on the game getting released derailing the release thread I haven't the foggiest idea. Anyway, no offense but you always annoy the hell out of me, so I don't feel very sorry for annoying you for a change.
Breja: I guess the new meds are working. Up the dosage and we might get somewhere.
this is so fucking rude and ignorant and insensitive, and so far beyond uncalled for
low rated
Breja: I guess the new meds are working. Up the dosage and we might get somewhere.
drealmer7: this is so fucking rude and ignorant and insensitive, and so far beyond uncalled for
It's just a joke about her usual scrambled, unreadable writing. Anyway, if you're so angry with me you feel like attacking me some more, PM me. You don't need to derail more threads.
tfishell: Yeah this forum doesn't seem to try to emphasize with indie devs; not all of them can afford high-resolution pixel art.
Breja: Wow, HIGH RESOLUTION UGLY GRAPHICS. I will buy this three times in hopes of achieving such a goal!
Well here you're just being an asshole. :P Oh ... wait your avatar title does say "full of shit"

Seriously now, I'm sorry but I sort of don't care about the how and the why and the difficulties the devs face. Not when other jaw-dropingly pretty and not preceduraly-generated indie games like Hollow Knight, Wonder Boy, Little Acre or Cuphead are waiting on my wishlist. I care about the end product I pay money for (this isn't even cheaper then those!), not the long up-hill way in the snow the devs had to walk to school every day. Not that I truly believe all those pixelated games are the result of lack of money for something better. I'm pretty sure most of it is just jumping on the "so retro" bandwagon.
Okay but why constantly bitch about it on the forum if other people want to buy this game? The game is here, it's not going away. It'd be more worthwhile to complain on a game dev forum to prevent this art style getting made. I could understand if you want to complain about specific games not getting released here, but Hollow Knights is here, Wonder Boy is here, and Cuphead is coming. (Maybe Little Acre too.)

(Funny how some of the Stream reviews are praising the art; I guess those damn kids don't know a shit game when they see it.)

---

I'll make this call out to anyone: what are some simple but pretty graphics you like? Graphics that look like even a low-budget game could handle? A Night in the Woods?
Post edited September 01, 2017 by tfishell