It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I guess I'll always be.

Soldier of Fortune, Soldier of Fortune II and Soldier of Fortune: Payback are now available DRM-free, only on GOG.com. Get all three games together for a 15% series discount.

The acclaimed FPS series returns!
In the first two entries, you'll take the role of John Mullins, a mercenary who possesses a very particular set of skills, skills that make him a nightmare to bad guys around the world. Take out terrorists and stop their nefarious plans in the games that helped pioneer body region damage when hurting enemy sprites.
The third game in the series puts you in the shoes of Thomas Mason, a freelance mercenary going up against an enemy that can only be tackled by those not afraid to get their hands dirty.
Reading various reviews, it seems that SoF2 could be the best title and SoF3 surely the worst one, but overall the series doesn't appear to be too great.
Post edited October 01, 2018 by phaolo
Ye ye! We Ravensoft again bois!

Loved playing my uncle's copy of SoF1 back in the day. Much thanks to all involved in getting these here.
OK, found it, since it's not explained in the game card.

Gold edition includes 18 new multiplayer maps, 2 new game modes, and an exclusive interview of John Mullins.

Platinum edition includes all of the Gold Edition features, and five new multiplayer maps, GameSpy support and an exclusive look at the sequel, Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix. Plus, in this version of Soldier of Fortune, you will find some bonus contents on the game disc, like artworks of game's characters and weapons. There is also the manual of the game in digital format.
nightcraw1er.488: Same as others have said, too pricey. Better off getting a disc copy for pennies and a nocd (which is all this is). Fun enough games, just way out of their price range.
Pond86: You dont even need to do that for SOF1 theres a Community Edition on Moddb, which is the full original game, just modified so it runs on modern machines with high resolutions. Its also free.
Nice, I did not know that. It does open the door to being Beamdogged however so let's keep it under wraps :o)
kuroiXiru: This is great. Makes me hopeful for an eventual Heretic 2 release.
Earmarked for 20th anniversary perhaps?
Post edited October 01, 2018 by nightcraw1er.488
phaolo: Reading various reviews, it seems that SoF2 could be the best title and SoF3 surely the worst one, but overall the series doesn't appear to be too great.
I would say the first game is the best and playing it is still a blast, I tried SoF2 many times but it never holded my interest to play it through the end and it seems ggmanlives agrees with me.
Never played the 3rd one, but it is made by de team that gave us Chaser, which is not half bad, so it has my interest.
First one was great.
People consider $10 too expensive for these games? -_0 Are they far more expensive in other countries? $10 seems the right price to me for non-emulated games from the late '90s - early-mid-2000s, since it's not like they were just slapped into DOSBox or ScummVM. What am I missing?
Crosmando: Nice, nothing like blowing off someone's leg with a pistol
That's a hell of a pistol.

tfishell: People consider $10 too expensive for these games? What am I missing?
Cheapskates that want everything 95% off or free.
Post edited October 01, 2018 by DoomSooth
The original Solder Of Fortune has my all-time favourite machine gun mechanic: When you kill an enemy with a machine gun, they don't just drop dead, they start doing this bizarre death dance and keep doing it until you stop firing at them - which usually only happens once you run out of bullets, since theim doing their death dance is just so much fun to look at.

I don't know of any other game that has ever replicated this, even though every other game *should* have replicated it
Strijkbout: I would say the first game is the best and playing it is still a blast, I tried SoF2 many times but it never holded my interest to play it through the end and it seems ggmanlives agrees with me.
That video is obsolete. He did a REDUX review for SoF 2 in which he admits that he was talking from his a**.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7xPCI0wUI

The first game for sure still is the best one but SoF 2 also is a lot of fun. Both very worth getting imo. Payback however is something I wouldn't even want to play if I got it for free.
Strijkbout: I would say the first game is the best and playing it is still a blast, I tried SoF2 many times but it never holded my interest to play it through the end and it seems ggmanlives agrees with me.
Berzerk2002: That video is obsolete. He did a REDUX review for SoF 2 in which he admits that he was talking from his a**.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7xPCI0wUI

The first game for sure still is the best one but SoF 2 also is a lot of fun. Both very worth getting imo. Payback however is something I wouldn't even want to play if I got it for free.
Agree about SOF 1 and 2 (SOF 1 great except for the final levels, which inttoduces a Sci Fi element out of nowhere just to det up a clichéd Final Boss battle) and SOF 2 is pretty good ; I have no opinion on SOF 3 ;the reviews and player comments were enough back in 2007 to keep me from spending my money on it. Imight give it a whirl ate GOG low prices, but not exactly in a hurry to do so.
SOmebody in another thread is having a Histy Fit over how GOG is disgracing itself by even offereing SOF Payback.
I really hate people like that,who think their opinions shold be law.
Crosmando: I've never even heard of SoF Payback until now, is it decent, seems to be a different developer.
I have not p layed it, but the general opinion is it's a bad game, a massive step down in quality from the first two.
Indeed, it was made by a totally different development team.
You never heard of it because it bombed very badly when it was released in 2007. Most fans of the first two SOF games denounced it as being a piece of crap,an insult to the first two games.
Post edited October 02, 2018 by dudalb
what a shit, i cannot buy them cause im in fucking germany, nice!
gandalfnho: Nice to see the Soldier of Fortune series finally here. Will wishlist until a decent promo appears, they're very expensive now for games wityh more than 10 years of age (and Payback was released basically as a low-budget game at the time...)
I don't know if you noticed, but GOG is killing regional pricing for emerging markets, like Brazil, Russia, etc.

Get ready for new releases to double in price.

No big sale can truly remedy a base price that is too high in the first place.
Post edited October 02, 2018 by DaCostaBR
any germans succesfully got SoF games? this cannot be they finally get released and A LEGAL WAY is BLOCKED!!!!!!
tfishell: People consider $10 too expensive for these games? -_0 Are they far more expensive in other countries? $10 seems the right price to me for non-emulated games from the late '90s - early-mid-2000s, since it's not like they were just slapped into DOSBox or ScummVM. What am I missing?
You can pick up the cd for pence online or in charity shops, or pick up the moddb version mentioned above. What reason is there to pay $10? $5 maybe, just to save the effort of copying over a nocd. Unfortunately for my side over the years the price of releases has gone up, the goodies have become scarcer, therefore I am seeing less and less reason to buy something I either likely already have (disc image + nocd) or could pick up if I wanted to, the old "support gog for drm free" niceties have long since gone, now it is nothing more than a clinical comparison of cost and for my money these are way over priced.