It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate is here.

<span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span>, in which adventure continues beyond The Gate, is available now for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com!

It's you, and your band of companions, against the world. A brand new fantasy world! A realm of long lost treasures and ancient mysteries buried beneath the depths of monster-infested dungeons. <span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> sets out to redefine all that we know about character building, questing, and grinding. The thrill of the uncharted, the wonder of a sprawling, classic RPG epic is finally back!

Pillars of Eternity comes in three editions. The Hero Edition includes the base game, but more loot awaits the collectors out there!
The Champion Edition comes packed with special bonus content, including a full digital soundtrack, a high-res map, a campaign almanac, and more!
Royal Edition packs in even more bonus content. In addition to the Champion Edition goodies, four additional pieces of content exclusive to the Royal Edition can be yours now: a digital novella by Chris Avellone, collector's book PDF, high-resolution concept art, and a digital strategy guide.

If you bought the Hero Edition or Champion Edition, and you like the goodies included in the larger editions, all hope is not lost. We're currently working on making edition upgrades available for Pillars of Eternity . Stay tuned for future updates!

Gather your party and venture forth. <span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> is finally out now, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Check it out on Twitch.tv/GOGcom!
The one and only TotalBiscuit will be taking Pillars of Eternity today, March 26th at 9pm GMT / 5pm EDT / 2pm PDT!
Afterwards, our regular and beloved Outstar will have her turn - come join her at 11pm GMT / 7pm EDT / 4pm PDT.
I'm pretty sad that I have to consider buying this on Steam. On GOG, the Hero Edition works out to ~$57 CDN, probably more due to the horrible exchange rate calculation my Mastercard does. I can get a steam key from GMG for ~$42 CDN for the same edition.

I don't mind paying a little more for DRM free, but $15 dollars more is a bit much.
MikeMaximus: I'm pretty sad that I have to consider buying this on Steam. On GOG, the Hero Edition works out to ~$57 CDN, probably more due to the horrible exchange rate calculation my Mastercard does. I can get a steam key from GMG for ~$42 CDN for the same edition.

I don't mind paying a little more for DRM free, but $15 dollars more is a bit much.
Just wait for a special. I'm sure you have other games you can play in the mean time. There were some good games on special on GOG not that long ago, I assume you picked up some.

So what is the price comparison on Steam. GMG is a reseller of keys either the developer or someone else supplied them with a batch of cheaper keys so they could offer cheaper prices. Maybe GMG reduce their profits to ship keys. Not like they have to maintain the infrastructure for all the downloads.
Post edited March 29, 2015 by deonast
deonast: So what is the price comparison on Steam. GMG is a reseller of keys either the developer or someone else supplied them with a batch of cheaper keys so they could offer cheaper prices. Maybe GMG reduce their profits to ship keys. Not like they have to maintain the infrastructure for all the downloads.
Steam itself is selling the Hero edition for 49.99 CDN. I do have other stuff I can play of course but I'm nearly finished Wasteland 2 (I think, I just upgraded my radiation suits in Cali) and I kinda wanna jump right into Pillars when im done. :)
deonast: So what is the price comparison on Steam. GMG is a reseller of keys either the developer or someone else supplied them with a batch of cheaper keys so they could offer cheaper prices. Maybe GMG reduce their profits to ship keys. Not like they have to maintain the infrastructure for all the downloads.
MikeMaximus: Steam itself is selling the Hero edition for 49.99 CDN. I do have other stuff I can play of course but I'm nearly finished Wasteland 2 (I think, I just upgraded my radiation suits in Cali) and I kinda wanna jump right into Pillars when im done. :)
Fair enough I have such a back log that keeps getting larger so I guess I assume others pickup a few extras during sales.
I kickstarer backed Pillars and wasteland 2 so already have them but haven't had a chance to play. Of course I probably payed less than now mainly down to the currency conversions for the Australian dollar now being 30% more than when I backed the games originally.
Now that I've finally downloaded it, and played it for a bit, I have to say it seems pretty awesome. I've only got an hour into it, and probably half of that was roll my character, so I don't have much to go on so far.

One thing I will say, Larian could learn a thing or two from Obsidian about publishing an RPG on Linux!
hummer010: Now that I've finally downloaded it, and played it for a bit, I have to say it seems pretty awesome. I've only got an hour into it, and probably half of that was roll my character, so I don't have much to go on so far.

One thing I will say, Larian could learn a thing or two from Obsidian about publishing an RPG on Linux!
I don't know what it is but something makes me think you are a linux gamer :)
ArPharazon: Have you even checked what the pre-order exclusive items are? Or are you just angry because they even exist? As far as I know (I was a backer and got the pre-order exclusive items too) they consist of two items. One being a space piglet pet which follows you around and the other being a ring which says you pre-ordered the product. If that's what is pissing you off, then I don't really know what to say.
I know exactly what they are. You seem to think they are worthless and should then be given to everyone? In which case not much of an incentive to pre-order it. Today I could buy the $90 USD edition, no I personally am not going to, and not own all the content. That's complete bullshit. AFAIK, I haven't bought any game with locked, exclusive content. I'll repeat that for you: I haven't knowingly bought any game with locked, exclusive content. As a rule I don't support publishers/devs who sell such.

So, yes I'm angry. I've been looking forward to PoE. It's the main reason why I bought a new monitor this past August. I only found out about it 2 days ago, stupid me. Pre-order bonus does not mean exclusive in my mind or it didn't.
ArPharazon: Have you even checked what the pre-order exclusive items are? Or are you just angry because they even exist? As far as I know (I was a backer and got the pre-order exclusive items too) they consist of two items. One being a space piglet pet which follows you around and the other being a ring which says you pre-ordered the product. If that's what is pissing you off, then I don't really know what to say.
Gydion: I know exactly what they are. You seem to think they are worthless and should then be given to everyone? In which case not much of an incentive to pre-order it. Today I could buy the $90 USD edition, no I personally am not going to, and not own all the content. That's complete bullshit. AFAIK, I haven't bought any game with locked, exclusive content. I'll repeat that for you: I haven't knowingly bought any game with locked, exclusive content. As a rule I don't support publishers/devs who sell such.

So, yes I'm angry. I've been looking forward to PoE. It's the main reason why I bought a new monitor this past August. I only found out about it 2 days ago, stupid me. Pre-order bonus does not mean exclusive in my mind or it didn't.
Do you also get pissed off on people that can afford more expensive cars?
What about car brands that produce concept cars or exlusive cars that only a few select people can buy?
Though i generally agree if the items are vital for the gameplay.
But i dont think these two items are worth making a fuss about.
Post edited March 29, 2015 by Lodium
Gydion: ...As a rule I don't support publishers/devs who sell such.

So, yes I'm angry. I've been looking forward to PoE...
I didn't pre order either, even though this is the game that is top of my most wanted list, and the only one I really regret not backing on Kickstarter. Despite missing the chance to back, I do now feel quite ambivalent about PoE. Yes I really want the game, but I also avoid titles with regional pricing (beyond local sales tax) and any with pre order exclusives.

I came close to buying PoE, but in the end I always remember how cynical the games industry is, particularly on the management/publishing side where they are always requiring these extras to explicitly take advantage of the OCD/completist nature of dedicated gamers - which is why you so often see some solitary low value in game item bundled with a bunch of other really expensive stuff.

I don't like it, but I'm way past getting worked up about it and I'm just not going give in to OCD. The only legitimate option is not to pre order and either wait for a sale, or never buy the game. At least there is an upside to waiting to buy if that's what you decide: you get to play the game in a more polished state, with more fixed bugs and performance enhancements that may come with patches.
Post edited March 29, 2015 by IanM
You know, I really wanted to buy this game but for a game that looks slightly better than BG2 (which is a good thing, mind you) those requirements are through the roof (and outside the scope of my PC). I don't know whether I should blame Unity (which is IMO the shittiest engine ever created that's available for anybody) or devs. Probably both.

Anyway, that sale is going to wait till I upgrade my PC which considering I've been planning on it for about 2 years now and still didn't do it, is going to wait quite a bit of time. Shame. Well, I guess I'll play BGs for the thousandth time or maybe finally play IDs or ToEE (reason I still haven't really played them is they focus on combat with little storyline and party entirely created by me, when NPCs in the party is one of the best things in BGs) to scratch my Infinity Engine itch.
Well I finally had a chance to try it out, and I really love that preorder piglet. That piglet is so cute but useless. I like having it follow me around if for nothing else but pure silliness.
Garret02: You know, I really wanted to buy this game but for a game that looks slightly better than BG2 (which is a good thing, mind you) those requirements are through the roof (and outside the scope of my PC). ...
Just as a side note and not related to this release: I totally agree. I have the feeling that the efficiency of graphical framework is continuously dropping to a degree where more and more computer power is required to even get the same look.

Or in other words: the graphics engine of BG was much better programmed (within its restrictions).

I wonder where this will lead to?
Post edited March 30, 2015 by Trilarion
It's good.
Garret02: You know, I really wanted to buy this game but for a game that looks slightly better than BG2 (which is a good thing, mind you) those requirements are through the roof (and outside the scope of my PC). ...
Trilarion: Just as a side note and not related to this release: I totally agree. I have the feeling that the efficiency of graphical framework is continuously dropping to a degree where more and more computer power is required to even get the same look.

Or in other words: the graphics engine of BG was much better programmed (within its restrictions).

I wonder where this will lead to?
What if it's the other way around: All those hardware upgrades we've been buying over the years do nothing! They're just relabeled C64 processors. We've all been lied to by the industry! WHYYY?! *shakes fist at sky, to some dramatic background music*
Nice to see that PoE is such a success around here. It's already on page 10 if you sort the games by sales. :) The Hero edition, that is. Still, that's pretty impressive for a full-price game.