It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Chain reaction.

Opus Magnum is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% discount until February 7, 2PM UTC.
Alchemy is an esoteric science that fuses artistry with practical engineering in fascinating ways. Anataeus Vaya is a master in the field but when dark secrets start crawling out of the woodwork, he must face the ultimate puzzle: how to assemble and modify his transmutation devices to prepare miraculous concoctions in the fastest, most efficient manner possible. Tick tock, Anataeus. Tick tock.
MaGo72: Intro
You know what always pissed me off about that intro? That my favourite character DIES in it. Who does that? Kill off some of the playable characters in the intro?
I don't get this 'game' at all.
Gothfather: I don't get this 'game' at all.
Cool story?
SirPrimalform: Cool story?
I don't know. Is there a cool sotry? i saw the video for the announcement of this game and I left having not learned a single thing about what teh game is. bear in mind I knew exactly zero about this game before watching the video and now pretty much know nothing about the game after. Watching coloured balls move around the screen told me zero.

I'm making no judgement claims about the game if people are excited about it more power to them. i simply don't get it.
SirPrimalform: Cool story?
Gothfather: I don't know. Is there a cool sotry? i saw the video for the announcement of this game and I left having not learned a single thing about what teh game is. bear in mind I knew exactly zero about this game before watching the video and now pretty much know nothing about the game after. Watching coloured balls move around the screen told me zero.

I'm making no judgement claims about the game if people are excited about it more power to them. i simply don't get it.
Don't worry, I was being snarky because of your quotes around 'game'. In essence it's a puzzle game where you have program mechanical arms to move 'atoms' around and connect them to create compounds. It's a similar concept to SpaceChem but with an alchemical theme.
GOG.com: Chain reaction.

Opus Magnum is now available
(highfive) for reevaluating your decision. Although holidays are over and not much time to play games, I still bought it instantly. Thank you! It's a gem!
IronArcturus: Is there a website that has Opus Magnum levels for the GOG version?
There isn't any .
you should get it, it is very good

(why is 'game' in single quotation marks?)
I'm not sure if this is a question that could be answered but part of the fun of this game is solving the problem. Then solving the problem more efficiently.

Obviously, it's sometimes possible to make the solution more efficient in Cost, Cycles AND Area...

But most of the time the 2nd solution you do is cheaper, but will require more cycles.
Or it'll take up less space and fewer cycles, but cost more.

What is "more efficient" in these cases? It's just whatever goal you set out to do?
Any chance we'll see the Opus Magnum soundtrack?
thuey: I'm not sure if this is a question that could be answered but part of the fun of this game is solving the problem. Then solving the problem more efficiently.

Obviously, it's sometimes possible to make the solution more efficient in Cost, Cycles AND Area...

But most of the time the 2nd solution you do is cheaper, but will require more cycles.
Or it'll take up less space and fewer cycles, but cost more.

What is "more efficient" in these cases? It's just whatever goal you set out to do?
Short answer: Yes

In most levels, increasing efficiency in for example cost results in raising the number of cycles (less parts of the machine which does more each). So it depends what you want to improve yourself. You can try to build the fastest machine, the smallest or the cheapest, but these goals often pulls in different direction and it is very rare you can do all.
IronArcturus: Any chance we'll see the Opus Magnum soundtrack?
The music is in .ogg format in the install directory! :-)
Man, what a lovely game. And truly addictive! On Saturday I played almost the whole day, maybe 10 hours. Finding a first solution via brute force and then optimizing the own solutions is great. I think it's long ago that I had so much fun with an Indie game. Looking forward to being able to continue playing tonight. The GIF-export is another great feature.

And - no - it is not a casual/mobile game by any means.

Besides the "campaign" there is also another section in the lower-right corner of the screen with lots of additional levels and a level editor.

Obviously the Steam workshop cannot be used with the GOG version. Is there any other way to share levels with other users? Like in the good ol' days where you just had to copy some scenario files into the game folder and could access the content in-game?
Post edited February 05, 2018 by ChrisSZ
Well! Quite a surprise to me that they changed their minds. I'd also sent a support request regarding the game, pointing out the inconsistencies in their stated values, and their actions here. The usual boilerplate response. I'd actually given up completely on GoG because of this and was looking to move back to Steam, and did not notice until today that they changed their mind.

Went ahead and bought it here at full price. Now I have to decide if they are following through, or this is a one-off.

Still, thanks for listening.
deleted