It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome back to the family.

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.
The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.
Unfortunate to lose all the music, which was very important for the atmosphere in the game, but great news to finally have it here. Can't believe it's been 15 years.

Great game.
drmike: It's no longer 70 years here in the US. We have Sonny Bono to thank for that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

It's 120 years if it's a work for hire which I believe most musical works are since most creators assign copyright to a third party company for management.
It's... convoluted (understatement) and depends on when the work in question was created/published.

For works that were published in the years 1923-1963 (most of the songs from the game), it would be 95 years ever since publication.
truhlik: Thanks GoG for this awesome release! Though it's a bit pity of missing music :(
And special +1 for czech language.
Music:
https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutorial_how_to_restore_the_original_music :-)

Czech language:

Is there czech language? The store page only says English.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by Pawel1995
z0rex: Finally not Russian version.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mafia-ltsr-mod-soviet-lithuania :)
truhlik: Thanks GoG for this awesome release! Though it's a bit pity of missing music :(
And special +1 for czech language.
Pawel1995: Music:
https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutorial_how_to_restore_the_original_music :-)

Czech language:

Is there czech language? The store page only says English.
Found it already. But thanks anyway :)
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: It's fixed until the copyright troll cartel shuts that guy's method down, which will probably be pretty soon. Alternatively, the publisher might patch the game and/or force GOG to modify the version that it sells, in order to make his solution no longer work.
Why would they? It's neither the responsibility of the publisher nor of GOG to patch the game in order to prevent what user xy might secretly do with it at home. Far more likely is that the files have to be taken down and/or that GOG and 2k don't want the forums to link to them. The issues here only involve selling the game with the licensed music or distributing the music without permission, not that the game would still be compatible with the music.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by Leroux
high rated
tfishell: I believe the original musical score is still intact, but the soundtrack - radio music, basically music with lyrics - is not.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: What is "the original musical score," though?

Does the "original musical score" include songs like this one that play during the Running Man mission, or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8z-iE-jPI

..cuz that to play that mission without that song in the background would be an infinitely inferior experience.
It's interesting to see how many people do not understand what OST (or "original soundtrack") means.

Original soundtrack means any music that was composed/made specifically for that game. Any other music (that was made separately and was licensed to be used in the game) is not part of the OST of a game.

For example, for Brutal Legend the OST contains all the music Peter McConnell made for the game but it doesn't contain the ~100 metal songs of various metal bands that were made completely independent from the game and were simply licensed to be used with the game.

Similarly all the '20s-'50s licensed music in Mafia was obviously not made for the game (since it was made many years before the game was released) and hence is not part of the _original_ soundtrack of the game. It is part of the soundtrack of the game (as it was released on discs many years ago), but not the "original" part of it. "original" in this context means made for that particular game.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by dizzy_plays
mwnn: https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutorial_how_to_restore_the_original_music

And it's fixed.

Blanking out the city_music_xx.ogg tracks is very naughty GOG ='(
God yes this, playing the game without the original music is just absolutely bland. I immediately noticed the difference while playing the game.

I was about to extract the files from my CD copy as well, but everyone beat me to it too lol. At least its a viable solution.

While I love the game being on GOG now, and I'd imagine removing the music was the only way to do it (*sigh* licences are hell) it simply makes you miss so much of the aesthetic that made Mafia 1 so amazing back in the day.
Thanks GOG! A great and long awaited release.
Tpiom: "You cannot proceed with your order because game Mafia is not allowed to be sold in your country of residence."

WTF?!

Blast you gog!
Please open a Support ticket. We're getting several seemingly completely unrelated places that are affected and each example will make it easier to fix.
Awesome release :D Big thanks to the guy/guys who solved the missing music problem !!!!! Without the whole soundtrack the game is just not the same.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by obi4ammama
Grargar: [...]
drmike: [...]
Tpiom: "You cannot proceed with your order because game Mafia is not allowed to be sold in your country of residence."

WTF?!

Blast you gog!
drmike: You may have missed the previous blue posts asking folks who see that to open up a support ticket to see what the issue is.
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it was a legal thing so I didn't bother :)

WTF?!

Blast you gog!
Thiev: Please open a Support ticket. We're getting several seemingly completely unrelated places that are affected and each example will make it easier to fix.
I just did! :)
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: An ok release. I played the game some years back, found it to be too much driving back and forth for my liking.
ShadowAngel.207: That's not even the biggest problem with the game. Atrocious AI that just flat out sucks and everything is so heavily scripted that it comes across like a bad joke. I remember a mission where you had to stop a truck driver, shoot and kill him. If you miss, he would speed off but since his driving route was scripted, he basically just drove around the block and came right back to the same location, so instead of chasing him, just wait and kill him. Absolutely pathetic since even the GTA games weren't that insanely scripted.

Add to that a rather mediocre "by the numbers and all cliches" story, shoddy voice acting in most parts and horrible driving controls (There's a reason back then everybody complained about the race).
It makes me wonder why people always act as if this was a good game. It wasn't and now on top of everything it also aged very badly. Nostalgia can only get you so much before you see all the massive flaws in this completely overrated piece of shit.
THIS. Mafia 1 is by far the worst game in the series. The heavy story focus and "cinematic" sensibilities were surprising in 2002, but precisely nothing about the game is good and in 2017 this is not an engaging experience. Mind you, I've probably put in over 100 hours back in 2002-2003, I used to like this game. To be completely honest though, it's not good or ingenious. The game tries very hard to re-enact scenes you recognize from mafia films. All the characters are archetypes you recognize from the movies. This was a novel idea back then, but gaming as a medium has grown out of it's ambition to copy Hollywood. It is not a good story, and it mostly exists as an excuse for the player to shoot or drive his way through cliche movie scenes.

Mechanically, the game is largely built around wonky gunfights with very resilient enemies. The shooting is unremarkable and once you get into bigger fights it becomes a slog. 2/3rds of most missions you're just driving across town towards the next gun fight, but unlike the GTA games you have to go under the speed limit, stay in your lane and respect red lights. That's right. Most of the time spent with this game you're commuting, slowly, in cars that don't handle well at speed anyhow.

People crying about the loss of licensed period music is funny. Does anyone really want to drive for about 10-20 hours with low fidelity, grating 20's and 30's music? It isn't good music. It is diagetic, it isn't really part of the mood or the story. The incidental score that plays in cutscenes and action sequences, which was written for the game, appears to still be intact. That's what's important. That's what builds mood. Who cares that the car radio isn't repeating mind-numbing Big Band boop-boop-boop-boop-blurdy-blirdie-blurb-bloop-boop-boop-boop for hours on end? Why yes, while waiting at a stop light for the 30th time in a play session I certainly want to hear slow optimistic strings and horns. That's the 30's feel, right? That's why I should play the game, right?
Post edited October 19, 2017 by Sufyan
Epic release. Despite its licensed music issue (already solved in the subforum), the game is awesome. More realistic and "noir" than its direct contender, GTA 3.

If you rewatch "The Godfather" every year, Mafia is for you !
high rated
@Sufyan: I disagree with absolutely everything you said, except that you are right about one thing: the story is cliched. But so what? 99%+ of all cinematic films are cliched too. That doesn't make them all bad.

In 2017, Mafia is still one of the best implementations of a story that has ever been in any video game, ever - maybe even the best. Likewise for the characterization. As one example, Paulie, the "Joe Pesci" character in Mafia, is actually far deeper and more nuanced than the original Joe Pesci characters upon whom he is based.

The cars don't handle badly, rather they handle realistically.

Yes, you have to obey the rules of the road or choose to disobey them and face the consequences --- just like in real life. Mafia is a realistic simulator of the protagonist's life. It is nothing like GTA or such with their cartoony mechanics and silly, vastly unrealistic & over-the-top characters and stories. Mafia knows exactly what it's doing, and it does it all very, very, very well.

I will concede that the racing level has very bad controls though. But that's the one & only part of the game that is not stellar.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by Ancient-Red-Dragon