It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

...but they just can't kill The Beast.

<span class="bold">Homeworld: Emergence</span>, a stand-alone expansion to the beloved RTS, is now available exclusively on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Previously released under a different name, this campaign is set 15 years after the events of the original Homeworld and chronicles the trials and tribulations of the Kushan as they try to repel an unknown alien threat dubbed the Beast. If you're to neutralize its corruptive influence and save your new home, you must engage in fierce space battles against both the afflicted and the Imperialist Taiidani. Are you ready?

The 10% discount will last until June 29, 4PM UTC.
Don't forget to check out our huge <span class="bold">Homeworld series sale</span> which includes the rest of the saga, going for up to -66% for a full week.

NOTE: Homeworld: Emergence was originally released as "Homeworld: Cataclysm". "Cataclysm" is now a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., and the game has been renamed to avoid confusion. Other than the subtitle change, the game is identical to the game released in 2000.

Watch the game's intro.
Post edited June 22, 2017 by maladr0Id
Post edited September 06, 2021 by bit.rot
I still have an issue getting this game to run. It crashes right after the 3DFX splash screen. Music starts with a blackscreen and crash. I've tried following what other people have said in the comments but no avail. Any ideas?
wc3john: I still have an issue getting this game to run. It crashes right after the 3DFX splash screen. Music starts with a blackscreen and crash. I've tried following what other people have said in the comments but no avail. Any ideas?
Check this thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/homeworld_remastered_collection/emergence_will_not_run
The way it got the game running:
I am on windows 10 64 bits and nvidia gtx980. monitor 2560 x1440 res
with the latest nvidia drivers,
Installed the game with the normal gog downloader so not using galaxy.
After installation, run the game, went to options and video settings, i choosed default opengl 1600x1200 32 bits settings.
Accept settings and OK. quit game , restart game, but the game appeared blurry, so i had to restore default settings in nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings , top right Restore defaults. also in nvidia control panel , adjust desktop size and position,scaling, set to full screen , and checkmark override the scaling mode set by games and programs
Game doesn't look blurry then.

To fix the widescreen problem (game appeared in middle of screen with two big black bars on the side) i used this settings in the game shortcut (gamepath for you may differ of course)

"E:\Homeworld Emergence\cataclysm.exe" -noborder -triple -enable3DNow -enableSSE -disableavi -heap 1073741824

runned the game again and widescreen is working 1600x1200 res on a 2560x1440 monitor (maybe a bit stretched here and there but i didn't care so much about that.

Also tried the registry settings to force game to 1920x1080 but that didn't work

so in case you guys use opengl this is the way i got that running very nicely
Doesn't it still look blurry, since you're stretching it? In your situation,, I would run it on real 1600x1200 with black bars on all 4 sides...

P.S.: Did you run the game as administrator? And fixed the opengl32.dll path like described here : https://www.gog.com/forum/homeworld_remastered_collection/classic_versions_widescreen/post16 ?
Post edited June 26, 2017 by BlueTemplar
GOG.com: ...but they just can't kill The Beast.
Thank you! :D
GOG.com: ...but they just can't kill The Beast.
svzurich: Thank you! :D
You thanked them for an Eagles reference!?

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlueTemplar: Doesn't it still look blurry, since you're stretching it? In your situation,, I would run it on real 1600x1200 with black bars on all 4 sides...

P.S.: Did you run the game as administrator? And fixed the opengl32.dll path like described here : https://www.gog.com/forum/homeworld_remastered_collection/classic_versions_widescreen/post16 ?
yep, i runned everything with admin rights.
Nope it was not blurry when stretched, but i got better news on the regedit fix.
i tried again via cmd then regedt32, but this time i runned an elevated command prompt. Type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter keys, this opens a elevated cmd prompt.
in regedt32 i changed the res to 2560x1440 opengl32 , so not the 3dfx\winnt one, which i didnt used in the first place.
and game starts in 2560x1440. The shortcut i also changed, to Homeworld Emergence\cataclysm.exe" -disableavi -heap 1073741824. The noborder triple etc. was not needed, however -disableavi was needed , because without that the game window appears partly in the down right corner of the screen.

so i am happy camper

btw, thx for the reply :)
Post edited June 27, 2017 by jacko640
svzurich: Thank you! :D
tinyE: You thanked them for an Eagles reference!?

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe thanking them for getting that creepy song stuck in his head like they did for me.
BlueTemplar: Doesn't it still look blurry, since you're stretching it? In your situation,, I would run it on real 1600x1200 with black bars on all 4 sides...

jacko640: yep, i runned everything with admin rights.
Nope it was not blurry when stretched, but i got better news on the regedit fix.
i tried again via cmd then regedt32, but this time i runned an elevated command prompt. Type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter keys, this opens a elevated cmd prompt.
in regedt32 i changed the res to 2560x1440 opengl32 , so not the 3dfx\winnt one, which i didnt used in the first place.
and game starts in 2560x1440. The shortcut i also changed, to Homeworld Emergence\cataclysm.exe" -disableavi -heap 1073741824. The noborder triple etc. was not needed, however -disableavi was needed , because without that the game window appears partly in the down right corner of the screen.

so i am happy camper

Hi!

Can anyone for a complete novice explain using plain English a step by step process to get my copy of Emergence to operate on 1080 by 1920. Ive been following some of your fixes, but it is messing up my game. Running on Windows 10. Thank you.
hi, i am new to gog and don´t want to use galaxy.
bought 5 games today and had no trouble downloading all but HW:E

others listed setup.exes while HW:E only shows me a 300 MB hotfix under my account

what am i doing wrong?

edit
i just installed galaxy and when i want to install HW:E i get "server problem". other games install just fine with galaxy... so it is a GOG problem?
Post edited July 01, 2017 by sherlockbones
sherlockbones: hi, i am new to gog and don´t want to use galaxy.

others listed setup.exes while HW:E only shows me a 300 MB hotfix under my account

what am i doing wrong?

edit
i just installed galaxy and when i want to install HW:E i get "server problem". other games install just fine with galaxy... so it is a GOG problem?
hi:
nothing is wrong game is just 343MB total
this is what i see when i download the file

23-06-2017 19:43 360.195.200 setup_homeworld_emergence_1.01_hotfix_(12948).exe

so that's 360 MB

when you click the setup.exe it install the whole game including the 1.01 hotfix ^^

hope that helps
jacko640: yep, i runned everything with admin rights.

so i am happy camper

Figos7: Hi!

Can anyone for a complete novice explain using plain English a step by step process to get my copy of Emergence to operate on 1080 by 1920. Ive been following some of your fixes, but it is messing up my game. Running on Windows 10. Thank you.
HI: here is a step by step guide for registry editing this game.
read carefully before doing anything rash with that editor.

Regedit widescreen fix. i use 2560x1440 res, also this is for windows 10 64 bits, nvidia gtx980
run an elevated command prompt. (gives the user administrator rights)

1: rightclick the little window icon (most left on the taskbar), click on run, type cmd, then press ctrl+shift+enter keys.
this opens a elevated cmd prompt in a so called dosbox window.

2: type regedt32 in that command window. a so called registry editor window opens.
3: on the left side top left you see a computer icon and under that 5 hkey folder names
4: click on the arrow on the left of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5: click on the arrow on the left of software
6: click on the arrow on the left of WOW6432Node
7: click on the arrow on the left of Sierra On-Line
8: click on Cataclysm
9: on the right side of the registry editor window, you see sonething similar as i write down below:

name type data remarks
glToSelect REG_SZ opengl32.dll when normally game installed, it shows 3dfx\winnt\opengl32
deviceIndex REG_DWORD 0x1 default opengl in game options
screenDepth REG_DWORD 0x20 32 bits
screenHeight REG_DWORD 0x5a0 1440 decimal, change 1440 to 1080 if you run 1920x1080
screenWidth REG_DWORD 0xa00 2560 decimal, change 2560 to 1920 if you run 1920x1080
CmdLine REG_SZ -disableavi -heap 1073741824 game shortcut extra commands

Only change the settings deviceindex,glToSelect,screenDepth,screenHeight,screenWidth

note: be carefull with registry editing.

examples how to edit:

10: click on glToSelect , rightclick, click modify. A edit string window opens.
click in the value data area on the 3dfx\winnt\opengl32.dll text and change to opengl32.dll
this lets the game use the opengl32.dll which is located in windows\system32 folder, which whenever you install new nvidia drivers, that install puts it there.
11: press ok in the edit string window

12: do the same for deviceIndex,as in step 10. but this time it opens a edit DWORD (32-bit) value window with valuedata 1 base hexadecimal
click on the white circle Decimal.
in value data area type a 1 ( which is the deviceindex for opengl32) press OK

13: do the same for screenDepth as in step 10, it opens a edit DWORD (32-bit) value window with valuedata 20 base hexadecimal
in value data area type 32 (which is 32 bits screendepth) and press OK

14: do the same for screenHeight as in step 10, it opens a edit DWORD (32-bit) value window with valuedata 4b0 base hexadecimal (1200 decimal)
in value data area type 1080 and press OK

15: do the same for screenWidth as in step 10, it opens a edit DWORD (32-bit) value window with valuedata 640 base hexadecimal (1600 decimal)
in value data area type 1920 and press OK

16: dont close the registry editor. check in the right window if you made all the changes correctly.

17: About The game shortcut Homeworld Emergence\cataclysm.exe" -disableavi -heap 1073741824.

Make a shortcut of cataclysm.exe on your desktop, rightclick that shortcut, then properties, it shows Homeworld Emergence\cataclysm.exe"
after that " put one space , then copy paste -disableavi -heap 1073741824 directly behind that space.
the -disableavi is needed , because without that, the game window appears partly in the down right corner of the screen.
the -heap 1073741824 is used to give the game more (memory) to work with

17a: Nvidia control panel, right click on your desktop screen, click nvidia control panel go to adjust desktop size and position, on scaling tab set to full screen, checkmark override the scaling mode set by games and programs, press apply.

18: Start game and check if you see any difference with the old 1600x1200 setting the game used.
don't change video options in game, like resolution depth render engine etcetera, after you did the regdedit, else it changes the registry fix again.
IF you see any difference then the game should run in 1920x1080 res, and you can close the registry editor.

this is a more in depth registry settings guide

hope it helps.
Post edited July 02, 2017 by jacko640
Jacko640,

Thank you so much. This was VERY helpful for getting this setup for recording.
sherlockbones: hi, i am new to gog and don´t want to use galaxy.

what am i doing wrong?

edit
jacko640: hi:
nothing is wrong game is just 343MB total
this is what i see when i download the file

23-06-2017 19:43 360.195.200 setup_homeworld_emergence_1.01_hotfix_(12948).exe

so that's 360 MB

when you click the setup.exe it install the whole game including the 1.01 hotfix ^^

hope that helps
thx for the reply jack. why can´t i innstall it with galaxy?