It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
samuraigaiden: The game's page says the single player content does not require an online connection.

Does the game track the progression with a percentage?

I ask this because if the game's own calculation of the player's progression would indicate that a significant part of the single player game is not available without an internet connection, that in itself could provide basis for a lawsuit.

What I'm saying is, I believe there are grounds for a lawsuit here.
i don't think a lawsuit is the right way to attract publishers here but it would be the way to loose them finally..
high rated
samuraigaiden: The game's page says the single player content does not require an online connection.

I ask this because if the game's own calculation of the player's progression would indicate that a significant part of the single player game is not available without an internet connection, that in itself could provide basis for a lawsuit.

Gognarok: i don't think a lawsuit is the right way to attract publishers here but it would be the way to loose them finally..
If that's the shape we're going to get their games in, it really makes no difference if we drive them all away.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Breja
low rated
Gersen: We have devs that prefer to totally remove their games from Gog rather that providing here a patch that they already provided on Steam.
You mean few b*tchy devs who wanted to get negative public attention? I've seen those stories.
Cananas: Obviously, there is a fourth option: 4) IOI sells a 100% offline version with all the content of 5 years old game that had even given free of other store. Then, the only "plus" to buy here this game (many, many of us have this game on Steam o Epic store) is to get a 100% DRM free complete version of the game taht it'll work when the IOI servers got down.
Lone_Scout: I wish there were such an option, but evil publishers like IOI don't surrender so easily...
Fuck them, then.

If people are so desperate to play those games, steam is a better store to do it. Same DRM nonsense and cheaper.
low rated
GamezRanker: Well again, it's not like the average gogger is likely to be able to buy enough shares to matter in the eyes of a company. As such(unless you were talking to the super rich secretly hiding among us), saying one should buy shares to change things(as in on their own) isn't (imo) very helpful advice.
Maybe not alone, but together we have power! So who's with me?!? Let's all chip in and buy as many GOG/CDP shares as we can, then we can direct this ship (or a leaking inflatable boat, or whatever it is) to the right course.

No curation, all games are accepted, even Devotion! Linux and German versions for all GOG games! Achievements for all GOG games, especially Akalabeth! Only true classics, ie. CGA MS-DOS games, are accepted to the store! All wishes are granted from there on. "If you will it, it is no dream", state of Israel.

You say it can't be done, but remember what happened to e.g. GameStop with WallStreetBets?

https://apnews.com/article/gamestop-stock-surge-explained-fb377363d1b04809706619a6bcc9e549

And yes, the state of Israel is a real thing too now.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by timppu
tfishell: Okay but how hard is that and is IOI and/or GOG going to spend resources actually doing that? GOG has very little leverage so they might just have to gut them.
It is very easy technically. Unlike with Deus Ex: MD, IOI is dev studio that made game engine and those games. So they have full-time hired programmers who know perflectly own code. All it takes is couple of programmers to change game's code.

Yes, at least GOG's claim "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play" is false advertising.

Sure, you can start the game offline, but for the majority of it, an online connection is required to play.
trusteft: I thought you couldn't play certain type of extra missions and unlock new things. Now you are saying you can't save your game offline too?
mrkgnao: The game has meta-progression, where you unlock new equipment, disguises, etc. This is central to the game, as it is a sandbox-type game, where the fun is in replaying missions with new options and challenges. This meta-progression does not exist if playing offline and therefore "not saved". The basic story mode (which is very limited) is saved.

Or so I understand.

See here for more:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post458
Thanks for the clarification, as I don't have, or plan to have this game polluting my HDD so I can only go by second-hand info!

Just noticed that it's back up prominently displayed on the front page again, seems as they're really backing this release regardless of the fallout here...
Post edited September 24, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
high rated
I do think GOG have been very poor with regards to communication. The backlash of this release should have been an obvious outcome to them. CDPR and GOG used to set the standard for putting the customer first, in the last 12 months they are acting more and more like EA and Ubisoft. They know how passionate we are about DRM Free and yet they thought this was a good idea, I am completely baffled by the logic or lack thereof.

CDPR - Actively outright lied about the performance of CP2077 on original XB and PS4 and did everything possible to keep that quiet. They chose to release a game that was completely unfinished, its still bad on PC.

GOG - Are really crossing the line in what they define as "DRM Free" infact, its outright lying. Hitman, I think will be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people here. Depending on how they resolve this, bearing in mind we haven't even had an acknowledgement in 3-4 days about this, I may stop spending my money here and accept that my catalog of DRM Free is now as complete as it will be.

I didn't think I'd say this but I really feel like I have lost complete trust in both!
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Jigowatts121
low rated
I'm glad there's the same DRM for the GOG version as my Steam version. My DRM protects you, your DRM protects me.
How many of us have watched things get worse and worse and just continued buying regardless over the last few years? If people want change around here they have to act. Letting shit slide and looking the other way accomplishes nothing. It says to GOG that it is okay to ignore it’s customers, it is okay to not care about the quality of the services provided, it is okay to just keep up their bad behavior in general.

DRM contained within supposed DRM-free games
Parity between Galaxy and the offline installers
The offline installers
Highly questionable curation
GOG’s communication with the community
Lying to customers
Broken website

I will say that GOG doesn’t have to do anything to rectify these issues if they do not wish to. However, they started with a standard of quality that the older users have come to expect and are now squandering and abusing it.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by EnforcerSunWoo
trynoval: Don't fall for self-insignificance syndrome. ;)
Lots of devs do care about selling their game on GOG. Devs usually know that DRM is stupid. It's publishers being negative about DRM-Free, because they often have bad knowledge of real world, living in ivory towers, and they like oppression.

GOG sell a lot of game copies, and it's an effective mechanism of motivation to remove DRM from games. You can look how Sony cared enough to publish Horizon Zero Dawn on GOG on launch. It's not a shabby thing to happen. And in case with Denuvo removal. Many games that gets Denuvo removal being published on GOG first, with Denuvo being removed from Steam version happens later. It's a hard evidence of industry's recognition of GOG.
Gersen: We have devs that prefer to totally remove their games from Gog rather that providing here a patch that they already provided on Steam. Also HZD was released here months after the original PC release, same thing for Days Gone which we are still waiting to be release here, and no news about Death Stranding despite Denuvo being removed months ago.

Some devs like Gog and like to release on Gog, but I don't really think many "needs" to release one Gog, If they are on Epic and Steam they already cover 90+% of the PC market.

There is also a difference between removing Denuvo, which is something that don't really require any works as the Denuvo-less version is the one used during development and actually implementing an offline mode for a game that didn't had one.
Dev's probably do not want to re-work their game to work from a huge market (Steam and/or Epic) to an unfortunately much smaller market (GOG). And this is going to be a continuous problem, as proprietary stuff exists for each platform - and especially if games get released first on say bigger platforms like say Epic or Steam...and then get ported over to GOG.

They can't just copy & paste say games from Steam to GOG w/out much muss or fuss, if say they decide to lean into Steamworks for stuff (Cloud Save, Achievements, Multiplayer, etc) in that version...and then bring the game to GOG.

GOG has Galaxy, which has also their own set of this stuff - which I'm sure they'll have to re-code and re-work, to support a GOG version properly.

I'd also bet the vice versa is true, if a game starts say on GOG Galaxy with those features for Galaxy (Cloud Saves, GOG Galaxy Achievements, Galaxy Multiplayer, etc etc)...and then they bring the game over to Steam. Then, they have to re-work the game to bring it onto Steam, to utilize Steamworks & all of those features.

We need middle-ware again, like GameSpy - but something that'll actually stick around....so that dev's can have a game on both GOG and Steam - and eh, they don't have to re-work code to support prepriatary systems like Steamworks and/or Galaxy. This way, they ain't wasting time on having to do a version for every store, every time the games gets updates on one store, but then needs to get an update on another/

And honestly, games should have built from the ground-up into their engine profile support to save games locally on the PC - multiple player profiles offline; Achievement support in-engine OFFLINE; save games while offline; and stuff like that.

But, let's be real here - as games get more DRM'd, it's likely in a few years, when support is cut...they'll just re-release and remaster the game again so they can try to get us to buy it again. I mean, c'mon - when's Skyrim and GTA5 getting another re-release, right? ;)

I bet it's real easy for old games like say Quake 1, 2, 3, and 4 and any of their expansions (if they have any) to bring from say retail to GOG to Steam to Bethesda Store to Xbox for PC Store say whatever w/out much porting - as none of this in the old days had say Achievement stuff; online-only stuff; and whatnot; that stuff wasn't really even a thing. They could just bring it over to each platform, bare-bones style - without any of the non-sense.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by MysterD
timppu: The fact still remains that buying shares is the only way to directly affect their business decisions, unless they do something illegal in which case you can of course sue them.
Nope, I'm pretty sure I have another way of affecting them, and that is by not buying anything from a store I'm not satisfied with.
And while it definitely isn't much there probably are thousands or tens of thousands customers who also didn't like another new low for Gog. Losing one customer can easily be brushed off. What if 30% of their customers get up and walk away? Would that be easy to ignore? Can they afford to lose that much?

In fact, I'm pretty sure it is a much more attainable way to affect them than buying shares. Because even if thousand customers thinking alike bought CDP shares there still wouldn't be an easy way to let the board of directors know that those tens of thousands of 0.0001% shares all want Gog to go back to being DRM-free.

There is also the problem that, with each boneheaded decision, customers will leave and stocks will fall. In this course they're taking, by the time anything could be done all those shares would be worth much less than when they were bought. I don't know about you, but I don't like burning my money and I have better stuff to do with it.

timppu: Moaning mainly just makes everyone's ears hurt.
If it bothers you so much why are you in this thread? Just to be contrarian? To offer useless advice?
Post edited September 24, 2021 by joppo
JackknifeJohnson: Seems there's a patch "found in the backup intaller page" that adds all unlockables in offline mode.
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post7
A review (by a verified owner) also mentions that patch.
mrkgnao: The same guy now says that the patch in fact doesn't seem to unlock anything beyond the expected default:
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post17

I find it hilarious that hundreds of users need to figure out what GOG's release contains or doesn't, instead of GOG actually bothering to tell us.
Thanks for the follow-up, mrkgnao. I was hoping GOG would release an unlock patch (firearms, melee weapons, explosive/distraction devices, emetic/sedative/lethal poison vials, electronic lockpick, outfits, starting and hidden stash locations, Professional difficulty...) following the backlash.
low rated
joppo: And while it definitely isn't much there probably are thousands or tens of thousands customers who also didn't like another new low for Gog. Losing one customer can easily be brushed off. What if 30% of their customers get up and walk away? Would that be easy to ignore? Can they afford to lose that much?
Your comment is #718 in this thread.
This thread consists mostly of comments, that are made by the very same users, over and over again.
So, I dare say (without actually checking - but please, feel free to do so for yourself), that this thread features maybe 80 to 120 different users.
That isn't even a droplet in the ocean that is GOG's actual userbase.
You dreaming of GOG losing 30% of their userbase over this (admittedly: embarrassing) release, is ridiculous (sorry, if you think of this word as too harsh - but that's how it is).