It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Gersen: That's kind of the issue, and not just for this game, most devs don't really care about selling their game on Gog, if they can do it with no/minimal work why not, but very few, if any, are actually going to spend any significant amount of work on a five years old games that was already sold elsewhere and even given for free.
trynoval: Don't fall for self-insignificance syndrome. ;)
Lots of devs do care about selling their game on GOG. Devs usually know that DRM is stupid. It's publishers being negative about DRM-Free, because they often have bad knowledge of real world, living in ivory towers, and they like oppression.

GOG sell a lot of game copies, and it's an effective mechanism of motivation to remove DRM from games. You can look how Sony cared enough to publish Horizon Zero Dawn on GOG on launch. It's not a shabby thing to happen. And in case with Denuvo removal. Many games that gets Denuvo removal being published on GOG first, with Denuvo being removed from Steam version happens later. It's a hard evidence of industry's recognition of GOG.
That's a beautiful post.
MarkoH01: Imo it's almost a crime to put this is fine print instead of BIG RED LETTERS - which already shows me that GOG is aware and simply hopes that people won't notice. Probably not a scam ... but pretty close to it.
GamezRanker: As I said a few times in various threads: GOG doesn't have much control over the store pages....each IP holder does.
(they told me as much when I informed them of things that should be changed on a few store pages long ago, and they said their hands were tied)
Ah, okay - now that you are mentioning, you are right (a few devs showed me the preview of "their" GOG sites back then, I guess I will have to shift the blame - at least for this - on ioi then in this case.
low rated
tfishell: Approx. how much of the game would still "exist" without "the Escalation mission, Elusive targets & co"? 75-80% or more?
Gersen: Personally I would say it's subjective. It's like asking how much of a game still exists without achievements, for me who don't care about achievements I would answer 100% but for somebody else who cares about 100% completing everything then lacking achievement might remove a good part of his/her enjoyment of the game.

Personally when I played Hitman 1 I didn't really cared about the Escalation mission, but that's because I usually don't like all this "meta" thingy. I prefer to play game story and side quest and for me the Escalation felt more like some randomly generated extra content added on top of the real game. The main interest of the game is to try to kill the main targets using creative methods and often with self imposed challenges (e.g. kill and leave the scene without being detected at all) so killing some random NPC X times in a row to get a higher score didn't really interested me, I only did it because it was a way to unlock stuff.
Okay, so what remains (assuming GOG went your "Unlock all the unlockable by default" route but cut what you mentioned to make it DRM-free) would still be worth having on the GOG store. (if not worth $60 full price then at least at a discount price)
Post edited September 24, 2021 by tfishell
mrkgnao: Can someone who has the Steam version explain what is the difference between GOG's version and Steam's, if any?
Sr. Chalice: There are ZERO differences between steam & GoG.
I guess one difference still is that you can LAUNCH the game without a client which afaik is not possible with the Steam version. Maybe this will be the future definition of DRM-free and posted on the game pages instead:

"DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to launch. "
Linko64: ''Does Zoom talk about DRM-Free store'' It's in all the comms and centre in the website :P I can't say too much with the MODS coming for a wee tap so feel free to PM
Could it be against the community guidelines to advertize other stores?
Post edited September 24, 2021 by MarkoH01
low rated
MarkoH01: I guess one difference still is that you can LAUNCH the game without a client which afaik is not possible with the Steam version. Maybe this will be the future definition of DRM-free and posted on the game pages instead:

So, people were waiting 5 years to get rid of Steam's DRM? That sounds awful, even as a joke.
MarkoH01: I guess one difference still is that you can LAUNCH the game without a client which afaik is not possible with the Steam version. Maybe this will be the future definition of DRM-free and posted on the game pages instead:

Linko64: ''Does Zoom talk about DRM-Free store'' It's in all the comms and centre in the website :P I can't say too much with the MODS coming for a wee tap so feel free to PM
MarkoH01: Could it be against the community guidelines to advertize other stores?
In this case, for me, yes, even when answering questions. But at the same time we were told to post our discord so I have no idea. But i'd imagine they have bigger fish to fry currently so don't wanna add to the stress honestly
But are these "Elusive Targets" really available on GOG, at least for those online? Because I knew they were time-limited events, and I think even on Steam they're no longer playable. One of IOI's many absurd decisions.
low rated
Alexim: But are these "Elusive Targets" really available on GOG, at least for those online? Because I knew they were time-limited events, and I think even on Steam they're no longer playable. One of IOI's many absurd decisions.
But they can be made playable in DRM-Free fully offline version! Just make a built-in daily event system. :D
Post edited September 24, 2021 by trynoval
low rated
trynoval: Don't fall for self-insignificance syndrome. ;)
Lots of devs do care about selling their game on GOG. Devs usually know that DRM is stupid. It's publishers being negative about DRM-Free, because they often have bad knowledge of real world, living in ivory towers, and they like oppression.

GOG sell a lot of game copies, and it's an effective mechanism of motivation to remove DRM from games. You can look how Sony cared enough to publish Horizon Zero Dawn on GOG on launch. It's not a shabby thing to happen. And in case with Denuvo removal. Many games that gets Denuvo removal being published on GOG first, with Denuvo being removed from Steam version happens later. It's a hard evidence of industry's recognition of GOG.
We have devs that prefer to totally remove their games from Gog rather that providing here a patch that they already provided on Steam. Also HZD was released here months after the original PC release, same thing for Days Gone which we are still waiting to be release here, and no news about Death Stranding despite Denuvo being removed months ago.

Some devs like Gog and like to release on Gog, but I don't really think many "needs" to release one Gog, If they are on Epic and Steam they already cover 90+% of the PC market.

There is also a difference between removing Denuvo, which is something that don't really require any works as the Denuvo-less version is the one used during development and actually implementing an offline mode for a game that didn't had one.
low rated
Alexim: But are these "Elusive Targets" really available on GOG, at least for those online? Because I knew they were time-limited events, and I think even on Steam they're no longer playable. One of IOI's many absurd decisions.
trynoval: But they can be made playable in DRM-Free fully offline version! Just make a built-in daily event system. :D
Okay but how hard is that and is IOI and/or GOG going to spend resources actually doing that? GOG has very little leverage so they might just have to gut them.
We were talking about maybe contacting angry joe a while before.

On their facebook page they show this mail adress

angryjoe@angryjoeshow.com

Cool, I am providing a contact adress others asked for and get downvoted. Slowly I am starting to see how senseless the rating system here truly is ...
The offline installer has an upgrade EXE which is not truly useful nor unlocks everything really, only a tiny amount. If this could be fixed to make it unlock all the content (should be easy to do for the devs), the case could be a bit better, not ideal but not so horribly terrible.
low rated
Double post
would this interest Jason Schreier? I'm not a fan but if he'd help get the word out...
The game's page says the single player content does not require an online connection.

Does the game track the progression with a percentage?

I ask this because if the game's own calculation of the player's progression would indicate that a significant part of the single player game is not available without an internet connection, that in itself could provide basis for a lawsuit.

What I'm saying is, I believe there are grounds for a lawsuit here.