It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
dragonslayerxxx: While I'm really grateful Hitman was removed from store, the damage is already done and worm of doubt is here to stay. This is not some minor mistake company made, they actively broken one of their core principles they promised to us and what keeps this store up and running and that's not something that anyone should let slip their mind. I'll be present on GOG as long there is something to be present about- in this case ONLY DRM-FREE games. I don't even want to think about losing this store but in the end GOG has to know it got much more to lose than me. I do hope this will be lesson learned and that things improve in future. I'm sure there are also plenty of GOG staff who care about this as much as we are. I never had problem with support and they were highly obliging. And I simply love this community-it deserves all the praise it can have, first and foremost.
How did they lie. the company said the following: We will not force companies to decide to never use any online components. It be wrong to order developers to use only Lan connections and direct file management for multiplayer and user-created content. It be wrong to deny competitive games the ability to validate matches or have them on central server hosting. GoG has said it be wrong to order every game that wants to sell GoG that they can never have any subscriber bonuses of any kind. They realize that playing hard-ball absolutes when their competition doesn't do that is not going to be viable. They can compromise by saying it needs to run and run as advertised.

Now Hitman released in a state that was, on paper, perfectly in line with that. The problem is they not only lied about the things locked behind DRM, so much of it was removed and what was remove so important, the game was non-functional in it's original design. But you'd have to dig into the game a little to know that. And GoG's moderation and negotiation can't be expected to know the long history of every game and all potential pitfall. I cant demand "you should have known how the original game worked and played the game before putting it on the store," it be unreasonable. Even if they did play it, 50/50 they actually recognize and understand it.

But as you said, the people here are great, and were willing to explain in detail what the problem is and make clear this was not okay. GoG depends on us to keep this up and stay vigilant, because no human on earth is capable of checking every game that comes out and understanding game design enough to recognize proper DRM. I hope to continue to be able to be part of that, because it's worth doing.
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: And GoG's moderation and negotiation can't be expected to know the long history of every game and all potential pitfall. I cant demand "you should have known how the original game worked and played the game before putting it on the store," it be unreasonable. Even if they did play it, 50/50 they actually recognize and understand it.
If you mean GOG as a company by "GOG moderation" above, then no......they should know if a game has DRM or DRM like components/aspects within it before putting it on the store......as that's GOG's main selling point and something they've been doing(vetting games as DRM free) for YEARS.

Tbh, I have little to no doubt in my mind that they(GOG higher ups/etc) knew the game had such aspects in it and decided to sell it as is anyways, and are now back peddling after the fact to save face. Now I admit that the removal of the game is a good step towards sticking to their ideals/promises(DRM free), but let's not kid ourselves here and pretend like they just figured it was DRM free and sold it without checking it at all.
Post edited October 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
GamezRanker: Tbh, I have little to no doubt in my mind that they(GOG higher ups/etc) knew the game had such aspects in it and decided to sell it as is anyways, and are now back peddling after the fact to save face. Now I admit that the removal of the game is a good step towards sticking to their ideals/promises(DRM free), but let's not kid ourselves here and pretend like they just figured it was DRM free and sold it without checking it at all.
Yes, it would be naive to think GOG was anything but fully aware of the situation -- and it's highly probably they expected some very harsh criticism. But my guess is they didn't expect that criticism to grow outside of the GOG boards and ecosystem. Once it hit Reddit, YouTube, and social media, they had a REAL PR problem that was probably much more of an issue than the number of sales they could make upon release.

IOI has been a "horrible" proponent of DRM the last few years. If GOG can get IOI to "unlock" Hitman, I'll be impressed... but don't expect it to happen.
low rated
kai2: Yes, it would be naive to think GOG was anything but fully aware of the situation -- and it's highly probably they expected some very harsh criticism. But my guess is they didn't expect that criticism to grow outside of the GOG boards and ecosystem. Once it hit Reddit, YouTube, and social media, they had a REAL PR problem that was probably much more of an issue than the number of sales they could make upon release.
This is why I suggested several times for people to push the issue of that prior game(y'all know the one) off the boards and onto social media as well, as I knew it probably wouldn't get anywhere if most of the efforts were centered on these forums....but not many seemed to want to try it. Maybe if they had, we'd have seen something done about that as well.....

But I digress.....back to the main topic!

kai2: IOI has been a "horrible" proponent of DRM the last few years. If GOG can get IOI to "unlock" Hitman, I'll be impressed... but don't expect it to happen.
My guess is that IOI would rather choose to not release any more such games here. I mean, there is a slight chance they might make the game offline capable so they can sell it/more games here(and that would be a nice change of pace/etc), but I don't think it's as likely as them just "packing up and heading out from GOG".
Post edited October 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
There were thousands of copies sold. I wonder how many refunds there were.
high rated
GamezRanker: My guess is that IOI would rather choose to not release any more such games here.
Good riddance to bad rubbish if that's the case.
high rated
While it is good that the game is removed, I am frankly disappointed in the response from some of you here. I don't think we can just "file this one away", as it were, without more information. While I understand we are not going to get access to corporate negotiations, etc, there are other answers we theoretically should be able to have and that some of us need in order to feel comfortable spending money here.

How did the game get to be here in the first place? We need to keep pressing GOG for an answer to this question as it directly bears on where they are going in terms of a DRMed direction or not. How do we know our existing games won't be "improved" in updates with "innovative" "evolved" features such as online requirements? I have asked multiple times in these topics and even made my own thread.

Has anyone noticed nowhere in GOG's response did it specifically mention the phrase "DRM-free," let alone "offline installer"? I feel this isn't just a coincidence.
low rated
rjbuffchix: While it is good that the game is removed, I am frankly disappointed in the response from some of you here. I don't think we can just "file this one away", as it were, without more information. While I understand we are not going to get access to corporate negotiations, etc, there are other answers we theoretically should be able to have and that some of us need in order to feel comfortable spending money here.

How did the game get to be here in the first place? We need to keep pressing GOG for an answer to this question as it directly bears on where they are going in terms of a DRMed direction or not. How do we know our existing games won't be "improved" in updates with "innovative" "evolved" features such as online requirements? I have asked multiple times in these topics and even made my own thread.

Has anyone noticed nowhere in GOG's response did it specifically mention the phrase "DRM-free," let alone "offline installer"? I feel this isn't just a coincidence.
1) Is it not obvious? Hitman was willing to outright lie about what it held back behind the online mode even in the store page. do you think they were honest with GoG? No, of course not. Stop letting IO scapegoat GoG, they are clearly the lazy assholes who abused a loophole here. Besides, any explanation into what lead to this would involve speaking for IOs actions, which GoG is wise not to do.

2)When did anyone mention "improved" "innovative" or "evolved" in anything? Even I've only defended them in multiplayer games or user-generated content like Spore. GoG has never used those words at all, nor has anyone in this thread. Don't try to strawman people with things that were, not, said.

3) Why would GoG mention the words "DRM-free" or "offline installer." An installer wouldn't mean shit, the online requirements weren't because of an installer last I checked. and it was DRM-free, so much as GoG was informed. IO lied to them and the customer. Even when IO put on the store it had online requirements it still try to hide what it was locking and outright didn't even mention major ones. Why are you insistent on trying to add subjects that were never part of the discussion.
rjbuffchix: While it is good that the game is removed, I am frankly disappointed in the response from some of you here. I don't think we can just "file this one away", as it were, without more information.
...(snip)
Yes but I put it to you that this topic is now dead. GOG gave in, removed the game (after waiting far too long imo), and the issue is now resolved for them. You won't see another comment from GOG in this thread or related to this issue.

For those who care about DRM proliferation on GOG, you can either:
* waste your energy posting here and get frustrated that GOG won't reply to your legitimate concerns.
* make a mental note and adjust your view of what GOG is (and maybe realise that GOG is not what it once was) and save your energy for any future fights.
high rated
Thanks for this decission, gog, it was the right one. Please do always keep in mind, why we as costumers have been keeping coming here over all this years.
high rated
mastyer-kenobi: 2)When did anyone mention "improved" "innovative" or "evolved" in anything? Even I've only defended them in multiplayer games or user-generated content like Spore. GoG has never used those words at all, nor has anyone in this thread. Don't try to strawman people with things that were, not, said.
I am not aware of these particular words having been mentioned. But other words such as "enrich" "compelling" "grow" and "essential" have been mentioned in the context of bringing 'online' to CDPR games. And there is intent to connect this with GOG/Galaxy. See evidence from post https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_reason_behind_gogs_recent_awful_decisions/post29

https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2021/09/6f1b71ac77962be9c5521ceb941610a94f1908a9.png
https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2021/09/f97204fc832e4fcdd6748b51648ec248aaa7c3ce.png

lupineshadow: Yes but I put it to you that this topic is now dead. GOG gave in, removed the game (after waiting far too long imo), and the issue is now resolved for them.
It clearly says "We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release." in https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post1936 . How do you conclude from this that "the issue" is now resolved for "them"?
Zrevnur: It clearly says "We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release." in https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post1936 . How do you conclude from this that "the issue" is now resolved for "them"?
I assumed that line was added to shift the blame to IOI - no expectation that IOI will actually produce a DRM-free version - i.e. just GOG absolving itself of responsibility for this whole mess.

But time will tell.
chandra: Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Thank you for your response.

But it does leave a lot of burning questions, some of which, at least, should be clarified.
high rated
rjbuffchix: snip.
Reflecting on the announcement, I am pretty sure GOG knew the game had some DRM (but to what extent I do not know, but to be as charitable as possible, if they can have curation as incompetent as they do, is it possible they didn't actually properly play-test Hitman too?), but in their arrogance, expected the anger to exist only in a little corner of the forum, they were not expecting it to blow up all across the internet, so they flew too close to the sun...

I'd like to believe the apology was in earnest, but I've quickly returned to the once bitten, twice shy position, and we need to hammer GOG on all fronts if they ever try anything this stupid in future. There's a reason why even though I felt excited by an actual reply from GOG, I didn't actually remove myself from the 2021 boycott... I need to see the ball roll and follow through on that better communication promise.
Post edited October 11, 2021 by ReynardFox
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: 2)When did anyone mention "improved" "innovative" or "evolved" in anything? Even I've only defended them in multiplayer games or user-generated content like Spore. GoG has never used those words at all, nor has anyone in this thread. Don't try to strawman people with things that were, not, said.
Zrevnur: I am not aware of these particular words having been mentioned. But other words such as "enrich" "compelling" "grow" and "essential" have been mentioned in the context of bringing 'online' to CDPR games. And there is intent to connect this with GOG/Galaxy. See evidence from post https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_reason_behind_gogs_recent_awful_decisions/post29
What if instead of envisioning it as some DRM hell, Galaxy is going to increase game subforum visibility and activity? You know, the thing the dead forums need...? That way we don't have to go over to Steam forums to ask questions and discuss games when it should be GOG's forums and community that does that?

How many times have these DRM-free purists been wrong all these years, but they just bury their mistakes and hop onto the next conspiracy with no consequences? It's no different than those guys who thought the world was going to end in 2012 and kept shifting goalposts.