It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
my name is supyreor catte: That would be pretty terrible, it's basically like being forced to use a cheat code. Unlocking things is part of the gameplay, having them unlocked from the beginning is essentially skipping part of the game.
mrkgnao: Thank you. Have you already played the game before somewhere else or not?
I have not. I hadn't considered buying it until now because of what I knew about the online stuff and the fact it wasn't sold on any stores I use. But I am a fan of the classic games so I was pretty excited at first when I saw it was here. Obviously we know how that worked out in the end.
mrkgnao: Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if GOG and IOI released a version where all equipment/locations/disguises/etc. are available offline, but they are all unlocked from the start, not tied to your progression like it is now? Also, when answering, please add whether you have you already played the game before somewhere else or not.
MacCraigus: Hi there! This isnt a direct answer to your question but its something I feel is relevant everytime I see a game going under the scalpel (even hypothetically) to make it DRM free.

If the solution to this debacle is for GoG/IOI to offer such a gimped version of this game, albeit DRM free, they should adjust the price accordingly, since it's no longer the gaming experience others are getting by a significant margin.
I agree, but it's rarely been the practice. They're more likely to keep the price and give customers an "exclusive once-in-lifetime" weapon.
.Ra: I think the game will be removed is my prediction. Devs arent going to take the extra time and resources to make it offline and gog will feel they need to take it down due to complaints.
tfishell: I think that's unfortunate (insofar as it'd be nice to have a DRM-free version here) but true, they aren't going to put a lot of resources into this for just a few sales.

(edit: looks like there's a more meaningful discussion above about this) A few people made the suggestion of GOG giving people a save file that unlocks the various starting locations, weapons, etc., though I assume some aspects would still require Galaxy; I don't know that'd we'd be able to expect much more than this, and some people will still be very unhappy.

In any case, removal is better than keeping what we currently have here.
Has the game been pirated at all? I'd imagine if it has, such a DRM-free version already exists.

I know gog has used third party no-cd patches and the like for older titles before (also for things like mix'n'mojo). This feels kind of similar if progression is otherwise locked behind online connectivity and devs don't care or aren't around to fix it. If this kind of approach is vetoed by IOI I agree removal is probably the best call here.
Daily post to see if gog still suck.

No drm-free, no real answer.
I see it still suck
high rated
GOG.com: Please note: Internet connection is required to access Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts. Story and bonus missions can be played offline.
Yes, they can be played offline, but you can't get Silent Assassin rating without being online.
GOG, you should mention this too.

Whole point of games from Hitman franchise is to get Silent Assassin rating.
Just letting you know, in case you are not aware of this. :P
high rated
So I take it gog is simply waiting for the outrage to die down, and then to pretend like nothing happened?

It's inexcusable that they haven't at least updated the game description to inform potential buyers about the full extent of the online requirement.
Post edited October 02, 2021 by Matewis
Matewis: So I take it gog is simply waiting for the outrage to die down, and then to pretend like nothing happened?

It's inexcusable that they haven't at least updated the game description to inform potential buyers about the full extent of the online requirement.
My guess is, they try to keep the game on the store for as long as possible to receive all the money from the customers who badly want the game. In the meantime they keep us waiting and waiting until they will finally give in to the critique. They will reveal to us that they have "looked into this" thoroughly enough and realized their "mistake", and the game will be removed from the store.

This way they can feel very clever because they get most of the benefits from selling the game, as well as confirm their DRM-free stance to us so we can end our boycott.
high rated
The funny thing is: One tiny easteregg in a game that might be seen as anti-chinese? The game is not even released.

Breaking one of their core values, getting public complaints about that from a lot of players? Nothing happens.
high rated
Ranayna: The funny thing is: One tiny easteregg in a game that might be seen as anti-chinese? The game is not even released.

Breaking one of their core values, getting public complaints about that from a lot of players? Nothing happens.
Yup, the stark contrast with how they dealt with Devotion is very telling here.
Matewis: So I take it gog is simply waiting for the outrage to die down, and then to pretend like nothing happened?

SuccessDenied: My guess is, they try to keep the game on the store for as long as possible to receive all the money from the customers who badly want the game. In the meantime they keep us waiting and waiting until they will finally give in to the critique. They will reveal to us that they have "looked into this" thoroughly enough and realized their "mistake", and the game will be removed from the store.

This way they can feel very clever because they get most of the benefits from selling the game, as well as confirm their DRM-free stance to us so we can end our boycott.
They are not going to remove it. I bet you a picture of Winnie the Pooh and Agent 47 strolling through the woods together.
high rated
Ranayna: The funny thing is: One tiny easteregg in a game that might be seen as anti-chinese? The game is not even released.

Matewis: Yup, the stark contrast with how they dealt with Devotion is very telling here.
Yes, it's abundantly clear that GOG don't give a rat's ass what 'gamers' think, regardless of how 'many' there might be. They only care what wealthy investors and totalitarian governments think.
high rated

Matewis: Yup, the stark contrast with how they dealt with Devotion is very telling here.
The Devotion topic is a little more errr...without sounding mean, was a lot worse in its handling. Even more so given the history of the game, it's developers etc but either way, two core ideals have been betrayed within as much time, which is a shame, without a sorry between them or even a understanding of why people were not happy
high rated
Linko64: The Devotion topic is a little more errr...without sounding mean, was a lot worse in its handling. Even more so given the history of the game, it's developers etc but either way, two core ideals have been betrayed within as much time, which is a shame, without a sorry between them or even a understanding of why people were not happy
And just like their handling of Devotion, it looks like the plan is to lay low and hope it all blows over. We can't let this happen this time, or else they'll go too far...
high rated
For me personally, the expression fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me comes to mind. CDPR and GOG have really put me off from buying here in the future.

I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 after E3 from GOG wanting to support CDPR and I really trusted them as a customer first company. Then when the game is released look at all the decietful actions that CDPR pulled

I have bought a lot of games at full price to support GOG in the hope it encouraged other AAA releases. As an example, I bought Horizon Zero Dawn from Steam and then again from from GOG at full price. I didn't think this kind of game would end up on GOG so wanted to again show my support by buying it again. Now GOG are deceiving customers falsely claiming that Hitman was DRM free and then implying the customers are at fault.

This is obviously a trend that CDPR and GOG are starting to follow and I would rather just buy from Steam as the only benefit of buying from GOG in the first place was the DRM free element.

It was good while it lasted but I am not going to be taken advantage of again as a customer of GOG.
Jigowatts121: For me personally, the expression fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me comes to mind. CDPR and GOG have really put me off from buying here in the future.

I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 after E3 from GOG wanting to support CDPR and I really trusted them as a customer first company. Then when the game is released look at all the decietful actions that CDPR pulled

I have bought a lot of games at full price to support GOG in the hope it encouraged other AAA releases. As an example, I bought Horizon Zero Dawn from Steam and then again from from GOG at full price. I didn't think this kind of game would end up on GOG so wanted to again show my support by buying it again. Now GOG are deceiving customers falsely claiming that Hitman was DRM free and then implying the customers are at fault.

This is obviously a trend that CDPR and GOG are starting to follow and I would rather just buy from Steam as the only benefit of buying from GOG in the first place was the DRM free element.

It was good while it lasted but I am not going to be taken advantage of again as a customer of GOG.
You might also want to get yourself listed as boycotting GOG here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021