It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
mrkgnao: And of course the fact that they released Hitman a week before that was pure coincidence.
Willingly making a unpopular controversial release right before their big anniversary sale... yep... definitely sounds like a smart business decision...
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
I'll say that I appreciate a blue posting something, despite obviously continuing to be disgusted at this situation.
high rated
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
While I understand that you are a community manager and that there's not much one can do in your situation I'm sure people here would appreciate more openess between us and GOG and to keep us informed more often.

Keeping radio silence in a time like this will leave a bad taste in people's mouths as it gives the impression that GOG doesn't really care and they're just waiting for things to die down and for people to forget.

If CDP and GOG want to make things right the most basic thing they can do is being honest and not secretive.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Jejsoos
high rated
rjbuffchix: I think this paragraph doesn't really make sense within the context of the rest of your post. I am not a technical wizard but is there some reason these skins can't be available in an offline installer? There are games here that provide the content that way, so it seems kind of hard to believe it wouldn't be possible. It seems to me it would be possible technically; it's just that these companies want data/control/etc, which I don't find to be acceptable "reasoning".
Gersen: There is nothing technical, just that the dev don't consider that as being DRM as for them the game don't use any "DRM" (i.e. online activation, etc...) therefore don't agree / care to remove it. And the choice for Gog becomes accept it or not sell the game at all.
Now that I think about it, there are offline installers for some of the cosmetic content in Dying Light, so it makes it even more grating. I agree in so far as that GOG could stand to clarify its terms to eliminate ambiguity and hopefully get such content from devs in true DRM-free form; unfortunately, due to GOG's "pragmatism" (particularly recently), it would seem GOG has even less leverage to even ask.
With all due respect, we can see nothing has changed...the online service game is still prominently featured on the store. I understand you may not be able to simply remove it but users have at least made suggestions about the note on the page being misleading. Could that be changed and clarified into something that is perhaps more accurate? And whose idea was it to accept this game in the first place?
Post edited September 29, 2021 by rjbuffchix
Cheers
rjbuffchix: Would have been nice to consult their customers on that one.
SCPM: GOG did consult with the community a long time ago with, in my opinion, a more restrictive example, and the community narrowly voted Yes:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/new_gaming_options_followup_survey
Thank you for that sobering history lesson. Yikes. Though given the current outrage, I would say it still makes sense they could communicate more with us all here.
TheDudeLebowski: Please explain what "looking into it" suggests. This response was given in regards to Quake Enhanced, Saints Row The Third Remastered and Divinity: Original Sin missing updates. In the case of the latter, from what I gather, it's been 2 years of "looking into it". At this point, the response has lost its meaning.
Hey there Dude, I have to say I love your Lebowski inspired quotes near your avatar...what was the one the other day, it was during this Hitman controversy... something about feeling like GOG micturated on your rug. Cracked me up.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by rjbuffchix
Snowslinger: Could you explain? I am a bit stupid :D
mrkgnao: GOG knew that the DRM'd Hitman will cause an outcry, so they released it a week before a highly-desired game, so that people would rush to buy Blood Omen, thereby implicitly accepting Hitman into the store and abandoning any thought of doing anything about it. And it's working.
With all the communication blunders GOG have been making over several years now, you seriously believe them competent enough to plan and follow through on anything that sneaky?
high rated
chandra: Nothing has changed
Yeah, we've noticed. Could you please disclose why the game's store page wasn't change to accurately describe the state the game is in, that is all the features locked behind online DRM? I can understand working out something more about the game (removing the online requirements or pulling it from the store) may require time due to technical/legal reasons, but nothing justifies still having a misleading description of the product you are selling.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Breja
SCPM: GOG did consult with the community a long time ago with, in my opinion, a more restrictive example, and the community narrowly voted Yes:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/new_gaming_options_followup_survey
rjbuffchix: Thank you for that sobering history lesson. Yikes. Though given the current outrage, I would say it still makes sense they could communicate more with us all here.
I concur, they can definitely be more specific without breaking NDAs. :)
mrkgnao: GOG knew that the DRM'd Hitman will cause an outcry, so they released it a week before a highly-desired game, so that people would rush to buy Blood Omen, thereby implicitly accepting Hitman into the store and abandoning any thought of doing anything about it. And it's working.
brouer: With all the communication blunders GOG have been making over several years now, you seriously believe them competent enough to plan and follow through on anything that sneaky?
I fail to see what's complicated about releasing two games, the reactions to which are obvious, a week apart from one another. It doesn't require any communication skills.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by mrkgnao
Honestly, thank you for your post. I hope you guys over there can resolve this the right way, and I hope I can buy here with confidence again.
mrkgnao: And of course the fact that they released Hitman a week before that was pure coincidence.
Gersen: Willingly making a unpopular controversial release right before their big anniversary sale... yep... definitely sounds like a smart business decision...
Indeed. When better to willingly make an unpopular controversial release? One week of noise and things are back to normal.
SCPM: And I'll remind everyone of what happened with DRM-free movies.
As a movie buff, to me this was the community's biggest blunder.
It's too bad that no major studios were willing to take the chance, but you don't need major studios to have a good movie selection!

In fact, even in its renamed form "movies for gamers" that section could work just fine, if anyone cared to actively work for it. There are some very good indie movies about games, gaming culture, and history of video games, and none of them are on GOG. They are not from major studios, and I don't think there are any issues with worldwide rights either, at least not with most of them.

I think they could have made a much better attempt with the movie section, but they did practically speaking nothing with it. But if the goal was to have AAA Hollywood movies or nothing, that was doomed to fail and ended up being mostly nothing at all.
They made legacy graphics wrappers before, so maybe this time they will make legacy online servers wrappers too ;)
Imo they still can be heroes in gaming world and they still can make some unique big things, which nobody did before. I know that it may take some time of developing, law talks etc. So, I'm just trying to wait with as many peace and hope as I can :)
Attachments:
Post edited September 29, 2021 by erbello
GoG, please tell me why I should keep using your store when you renege on your core principles of delivering DRM free products?

A game with always online DRM does not belong on a storefront that purports to sell only DRM free content.

On every game page it's written:

"Why buy on GOG.COM?
DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play."

If this is no longer true, I don't see why I shouldn't just buy games from Steam instead, seeing how they too have DRM by developer/publisher discretion.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Mutant1988