It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
Hell yes! Thank you!
Post edited September 22, 2021 by Gylfe
high rated
Kismet: ...progression means unlocking new tools to complete the same missions again in a different manner, finding new opportunities and ways to assassinate your targets. Having those unlockable tools inaccessible offline makes the whole game a fairly barebone experience when disconnected.
This, exactly.
Amphax: Remember Humble Bundle started off as DRM-Free to when it first came out, now it's basically a Steam Key storefront.
Yeah, that irked me a little. I don't see much of a point with them being around now.

mrkgnao: But if people don't buy this game, yet continue to buy other games on GOG, then GOG lost nothing by adding this game to their catalogue. Even if a small percentage of people do buy the game, it was worth it.
I don't have any illusions about GOG possibly opting to become yet another store selling drm games.

The difference between us is that you believe you can impact that possible outcome. I don't. We're just not enough people caring about this right now.

Maybe GOG would royally shoot itself in the foot if it reneges its original customer-base or maybe it wouldn't (it highly depends on its ability to poach people from other stores, its a big gamble, but entrepreneurial types like to gamble), but by then , it would be too late either way.

I'm just here to get the games while the going is good. After it isn't, I'll have my collection of offline installers.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by Magnitus
wolfsite: Best to vote with your wallet, don't buy the game or request a refund if you did buy and are not happy with the limitations.
mrkgnao: But if people don't buy this game, yet continue to buy other games on GOG, then GOG lost nothing by adding this game to their catalogue. Even if a small percentage of people do buy the game, it was worth it.
Look, they're selling Darksiders Genesis and 3 Deluxe for $30. So I had to pick those up. I'm gonna continue to buy games here as long as we have DRM-Free games. Hitman had all kinds of online DRM from the start, so I was pretty sure it was gonna have a mess of a launch. It shouldn't be here, but I'm still gonna buy shit as long as it doesn't become steam key central.

A lot of places are having issues with DRM-Free games now. I have a feeling that's because these companies are really trying to push streaming games instead of buying them. This might be the end of buying a game as we know it, as soon as they can make it like Disney+ or HBO Max for gaming, they will. You're gonna rent games forever, pretty much.
high rated
Reading that it still has drm for a good chunk like steam if this doesn't get fixed part way into the refund window I am getting a refund as I trusted the unlocks ,suits and progression to no longer be server/online dependent

Edit thought better of it and requested a refund now as best not to risk encouraging this behavior as cosmetics that do nothing is one thing this is something else entirely
Post edited September 22, 2021 by BanditKeith2
high rated
Just a heads up Hitman absolution on steam used online servers for user content too, that game even had dlc. When IO lost control of their servers and didn't replace them, we simply lost the user content & access to our paid dlc. There was nothing more than a hollow apology offered and no attempt to compensate those who lost out with something like an extra discount for purchasing the latest Hitman game.

All this happened years before Hitman Absolution was sold on GOG.

Personally I don't trust IO when it comes to their online servers being there in the future or them actually caring that paying customers are the ones that lose out. They have done nothing to earn back the lost good will!
low rated
Amphax: Remember Humble Bundle started off as DRM-Free to when it first came out, now it's basically a Steam Key storefront.
Magnitus: Yeah, that irked me a little. I don't see much of a point with them being around now.

Magnitus: I don't have any illusions about GOG possibly opting to become yet another store selling drm games.

The difference between us is that you believe you can impact that possible outcome. I don't. Maybe GOG will royally shoot itself in the foot if it reneges its original customer-base, but by then, it would be too late.

I'm just here to get the games while the going is good. After it isn't, I'll have my collection of offline installers.
Fair enough.

But I don't think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Some will buy this game despite the DRM, some will not because of the DRM, but I believe the net profit will be positive for GOG. Nothing lost.

And many don't really seem to care if GOG as a store is fully DRM-free, as long as they can buy some DRM-free games here (even if many of those are also available DRM-free elsewhere).
Mark-Mark: Just a heads up Hitman absolution on steam used online servers for user content too, that game even had dlc. When IO lost control of their servers and didn't replace them, we simply lost the user content & access to our paid dlc. There was nothing more than a hollow apology offered and no attempt to compensate those who lost out with something like an extra discount for purchasing the latest Hitman game.

All this happened years before Hitman Absolution was sold on GOG.

Personally I don't trust IO when it comes to their online servers being there in the future or them actually caring that paying customers are the ones that lose out. They have done nothing to earn back the lost good will!
Exactly! As soon as IO decides that the game is old and closes their servers, half of the game will be unplayable.
And I'm sure it won't be long now, as HITMAN 3 includes the previous games and less and less people will play the first game.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by Alexim
high rated
"It's just Gwent that requires Galaxy!"
"Those are just cosmetic DLCs!"
"It's just one-time online unlocks!"
"It's just an optional part of the game!"

"We were never DRM-Free in the first place."
Well crap.

Normally an insta-buy but it has stuff locked behind an online-DRM wall?

Guess I can't complete my collection yet (which was all of them prior to this release).

Sorry, GOG, not doing it. Maybe later, when it drops to $2.99 or something; but maybe not even then.

Beggers CAN be choosy.
Attachments:
low rated
Many are complaining about content being online only... this was an online only game. Anyone familiar with this series would know that.

I fully expected this game to never come here due to it being online only, so this being here at all is amazing. I have it on steam and never played it online, you get the main game without ever connecting. The daily or weekly challenges obviously require a connection and Im sure you can figure out where to download user created content.

If you want 2 and 3 they were obviously going to bring 1 first. Its still an amazing game without the connection. If you arent familiar with these new Hitman games, then do some research and youll see why these extras are online. I personally was wishing for them to offer this without the online component at all and I never expected it to come at all much less with the online content still optional

I dont support online only drm, but unlike the original release you can play the main part oc the game without ever going online and there is no reason to ever connect with the GOG version unless you desperately want the challenge, in which case you have the option to do so
Grargar: "It's just Gwent that requires Galaxy!"
"Those are just cosmetic DLCs!"
"It's just one-time online unlocks!"
"It's just an optional part of the game!"

"We were never DRM-Free in the first place."
Yeah, went from "hey, it's great this is on GOG"...

... to...

"hey, this is exactly what's wrong with the 'new' GOG."

Ugh.
Gylfe: Many are complaining about content being online only... this was an online only game. Anyone familiar with this series would know that.

[snip]

I dont support online only drm, but unlike the original release you can play the main part oc the game without ever going online and there is no reason to ever connect with the GOG version unless you desperately want the challenge, in which case you have the option to do so
As one that isn't "familiar" with the series (my "familiarity" with game-series' is what is visible here, not the "more current view" one might have from buying current-titles on Steam, or playing consoles, etc.), I appreciate your information.

Looks like it is not worth $17.99 - not as is being sold.
high rated
So this actually isn’t DRM-free then? Way to go Gog. Just keep abandoning all your principles. That’s a big no buy from me unless it’s fixed.
high rated
That's a lot of money for a game demo.