It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
lolplatypus: It's nice to have steamcmd as an option and it would be great, if DRM-free games were easily identifiable, searchable and with a reasonable expectation of staying DRM-free. As is, though, Steam for DRM-free, while possible, is still a bit of a hard sell, I think.
mrkgnao: I agree. That's exactly my problem with both steam and GOG. No easy way to identify DRM-free games.

The chances of hitting a DRM-free game on GOG is higher than steam, but so is the chance of hitting a more expensive or a more outdated or a more second-class game.
That is what I call a self made narrative. Like the DRM Free in Steam. Pure post-Truth.
high rated
timppu: Entitled brats.
Breja: I'm starting to wonder if someone hijacked your account. I'm not going to pretend we always agreed in the past, but since the start of this thing you've been a total troll, and I don't think I've ever seen you acting like that before.
A mix of denial and Stockholm Syndrome, if you ask me. Denial about gog being hell-bent to crash this plane with no survivors, Stockholm Syndrome because that would mean having flushed x amount of money down the toilet.
low rated
mrkgnao: The reason I'm informing others of steam as a DRM-free option is because I myself for years lived under the impression that the steam client was mandatory. And I see this misinformation being propagated again and again. I wish someone would have told me about it back in 2017, when Gwent was released here. I would have begun buying there back then, alongside GOG.

That's true. But much more than being inaccurate, it is immensely incomplete. Most of the games I've bought in the past few months were not on the list, yet were DRM-free. I would estimate the percent of DRM-free games on steam to be at least 60%, though I can't prove it.
GOGer: So you do buy the games you download via command line Steam right? Even without trying it myself, I assume the command line option requires credentials to be used. Otherwise anyone could just download those (many, as you say) truly DRM free games. If it is as I suspect, that it's a command line way to get things, it should still require a user having an account and having the "license" for the commercial games they own. I assume the command line has in it, among other things, someone's Steam account login user name and password. It would have to, and, I get it.
I buy the games from various stores (humble, fanatical, steam, indiegala, etc.) through their websites. I activate the keys on steam's website (via a web browser). You cannot buy games via SteamCMD, it's just a downloader.

Of course you need your credentials to download your games via SteamCMD. In the same way you need your credentials to download your games via the browser on GOG. But in both cases, once downloaded, the games I buy are DRM-free and can be played offline, without client, and moved from computer to computer.

mrkgnao: As such, that means you technically own a legitimate Steam account and the commercial games in it. So would you mind linking your Steam account and if not public making it so. I am genuinely curious what games you have. This is not to show proof or whatever, I actually "get" your insane (Stallman like) idealistic stance, and am curious what games you have in your Steam collection. Further, unlike inaccurate lists, if you "are" who I think you are (personality wise) based on what you say, seeing your Steam games would maybe allow me/others to know with utmost accuracy which games are "truly" Steam-DRM-free.
I prefer to keep my steam and GOG identities separate.

Practically all of the games I have so far are games in some of the genres I like that are not available on GOG. Given that I have only bought from GOG from 2009 to 2020, and my GOG library is fairly large (1800+ items), I expect it's natural these would be the ones I'd be interested in. For now, I mostly buy on ultra-cheap bundles, so that definitely biases my collection.

Examples are tactical games (e.g. Valkyria Chronicles, Ironcast), hidden object games (e.g. Alice in Wonderland HO, Alice Behind the Mirror), and casual games (solitaire, match-3).
Post edited September 28, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
chandra: In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game.
Wolfszorn: The last and only time I took a refund on GOG (because a game was simply not working and I had a proof) I was getting told that no refund to the original payment method is possible but instead I could get the money to my GOG wallet. And funny though, the money they refunded me on GOG wallet had an expiration date.

Since then, I cannot take GOG refund seriously. I'm super glad I've waited with my purchase on Hitman. Now I'm interested what happens next (my expectation is the game stays on GOG and IO will not change the way it works)
Your expectations are correct! GOG will wait for "steam" to blow over, silently change their review policy and EULA a bit and in a few months HITMAN 2 and HITMAN 3 are on GOG 100% DRMed!
high rated
Starsmine: yall had a full business day on monday to do something on this, either respond or remove the listing.
timppu: Or else... what?

Entitled brats. Just like those "Extinction Rebellion" idiots who are now going to block the main street in Helsinki (Mannerheimintie) for 10 days.
Or else nothing, it wasnt a threat. It was a list of the two things they should do. Because the current situation is unsatisfactory.

We are half way through a second business day in Poland now, and there has still been no word. Its not entitled to think a company should attempt damage control over something like this.

GOG needs to apply the breaks or a firehose to the situation, if the game got on to the store because IOI lied to them, taking it off the store front cant possibly have gog be at fault for a contract break. As it stands now GoG lost a lot of trust with this move, more so then any other IMO (like I cant care about gwent, an online game, needed online stuff, and I cant care about innocent one off bugs that bug out cosmetic items). And I struggle to see how a possible contract break with IOI is worth more then the loss of trust in the user base.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by Starsmine
mrkgnao: The chances of hitting a DRM-free game on GOG is higher than steam
While this is not strictly untrue it is so severely understated that's is a distortion of facts. On GOG the chance is well below 1%, I'd personally call it a round 0 for the claims they make and that we've reluctantly agreed to (ie. single-player content). On Steam it's much, much more, I'd say it's above two thirds and for the games I'd be interested in, including indies, close to all of them.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by skirtish
low rated
mrkgnao: The chances of hitting a DRM-free game on GOG is higher than steam
skirtish: While this is not strictly untrue it is so severely understated that's is a distortion of facts. On GOG the chance is well below 1%, I'd personally call it a round 0 for the claims they make and that we've reluctantly agreed to (ie. single-player content). On Steam it's almost certainly at least 50%, I would personally say it's well above two thirds. And for the games I'm be interested in, including indies, it's close to all of them.
What you say is more or less true, but it ignores the other aspect of the equation. With bundles, I can buy 5 or more steam games for the price of 1 on-sale GOG game. Even if 3 of them end up DRM'd, I simply delete them and I have 2 DRM-free games, which is more than I would have on GOG, even if it were 100% DRM-free.

But that's theoretically. In practice, so far I bought about 50 games. Of these 4 were DRM'd (or at least required the client) --- one I refunded and three deleted. I definitely understand that for many people what they are interested in is DRM'd, but that's not my case for the most part. At least not so far.
mrkgnao: In practice, so far I bought about 50 games. Of these 4 were DRM'd (or at least required the client) --- one I refunded and three deleted. I definitely understand that for many people what they are interested in is DRM'd, but that's not my case for the most part.
I've checked the last four indie-ish games I've bought and installed from there (Shift Happens, Untitled Goose Game, Everything and Manifold Garden), and even out of those three didn't start without Steam.

Anyway to clarify, I don't want to question your personal reasons or decision to buy there, I just find the original phrasing misleading. It's probably best if we leave it at that. :)
Post edited September 28, 2021 by skirtish
GamezRanker:
In case any of you have communicated with GamezRanker on the forum recently and are waiting for his reply, please note that it may take him a while to do so.

He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning moderation".

Fear not, I'm sure he will reply to you when he comes back, if still relevant.
mrkgnao: I definitely understand that for many people what they are interested in is DRM'd
People don't really want DRM imho... They 'accept' DRM the way it is in Steam and other store fronts because:

- They don't really understand the harm this market practice has done to Software preservation in general;
- They don't really understand what DRM is;
- They never really cared to search for 'worlds outside Steam|Epic|Origin|etc bubble';
- They do recognize everything about DRM but also understand that they can't do much or aren't really keen to do something themselves (With this mindset, which is comprehensible: "This is the only place I can buy most of the games I want to play, so I have to accept it the way it is.")
GamezRanker:
mrkgnao: In case any of you have communicated with GamezRanker on the forum recently and are waiting for his reply, please note that it may take him a while to do so.

He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning moderation".

Fear not, I'm sure he will reply to you when he comes back, if still relevant.
Also, this is sad. :(
Post edited September 28, 2021 by .Keys
mrkgnao: He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning mod actions".
I see GOG's communist friends were kind enough to organise training for the staff. Delete reviews! Ban users! That will solve all our problems. Fear will keep the local systems in line!
mrkgnao: He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning mod actions".
Breja: I see GOG's communist friends were kind enough to organise training for the staff. Delete reviews! Ban users! That will solve all our problems. Fear will keep the local systems in line!
You would think a Polish company would know better... given history and all.
high rated
Starsmine: [snip]We are half way through a second business day in Poland now, and there has still been no word. Its not entitled to think a company should attempt damage control over something like this.[snip]
In case this helps anything, I contacted both GOG and IOI support regarding this last week and was informed today that
the "Product manager is talking with the Developers about the bonus content, elusive targets and save system".

More about it in my original post, which I always update once I get new info, did not want to spam this thread:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post281

But yeah, an official stance on this via any means, website, Twitter, etc. would be appreciated as well.

----
Edited immediately after: Formatting broke, fixed. (Quotes can not contain italic writing apparently.)
Post edited September 28, 2021 by Midoryu
high rated
This is a shit show. The post about "we will look into it, don't bomb the reviews" is a mealy mouthed non-apology.

1. The game should be pulled immediately. It's obviously not DRM Free. It can be put back up when it's fixed.
2. Pointing out that a game breaks the terms of the website and is broken unless online is not review bombing. It's legitimate reviewing of the lack of functionality of the game.
high rated
Disappointment of The Year: GOG Edition