It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Phantom Doctrine is now available, DRM-free, on GOG.com with 10% off until August 28th. Owners of Hard West on GOG.COM get an additional 5% discount. Buy the game before August 28th and get the game's artbook and soundtrack for FREE!

Heads up, operatives! Prepare yourselves for a turn-based conspiracy thriller set during an alternate history Cold War and prepare well - every piece of information can make a difference. Working unseen, you must organize, recruit, deceive and infiltrate, leading The Cabal against the dark forces who are plotting to control the world. When the bullets start flying, remember to keep to the shadows and leave no witnesses.

Within your copy of Phantom Doctrine, you'll find a manual, with all the details you need on how to play the game and get the most out of your agents. Do not overlook this valuable asset in the field.
Reviews seem a bit mixed so far; people seem to like the overall concept and gameplay, but a lot of players are reporting problems with bugs. I'll buy it now, but will probably wait a while to play it.
Looks promising so far and recent gameplay i have watched has left me far more positive but i guess i will hold of for a little bit, i really enjoy turn based strategy but blending it with espionage and stealth does have me a bit worried in how it actually works together but it looks great even though i'm more of a either stealth or strategy guy not both.

Still thank you Creative Forge for being so open and communicate with the players :)
Post edited August 15, 2018 by ChrisGamer300
So..it's here...will be hard to resist :)
i preordered it...but...it would be rare that a game is stable and free of bigger Bugs at release.
Hi guys, just wanted to clarify something concerning problems with the translations mentioned in several user reviews:

That's a very dumb mistake on our part. Apparently the last batch of translations didn't make it into the launch build and there's some automatic placeholder translations left in there. Because the tutorial was one of the last portions of the game we made, this gibberish is one of the first things people playing it in certain languages will see. You may also encounter it sporadically elsewhere.

It should only be a microscopic portion of the game where the translations are gibberish and we're working on getting legitimate translations in there ASAP.

The English, Polish and German language versions should not be affected by this problem.

We're very sorry for this inconvenience and we're devising adequate punishment for the person or persons responsible for this shameful display.
TheSaint54: However; I assume Phantom Doctrine is a modified version of the XCom engine from what was used with Hard West.
F4LL0UT: Actually no, just to clarify (because many people make this assumption): there is literally zero code from XCOM in our game. Phantom Doctrine is powered by Unreal Engine 4 (while both XCOM games are powered by Unreal Engine 3).

Hard West also didn't use any of the XCOM code, for that matter, and ran on Unity.

TheSaint54: I see that the minimum specs shown on GOG is a Nvidia GTX. If we are able to play Hard West and XCOM Enemy WIthin should we also have no issues with Phantom Doctrine? I have not tried XCOM 2 as I am concerned it won't run on this laptop.
F4LL0UT: Sorry, personally I don't have any idea if the game is playable on that hardware or how well it would run. I'll try to check with the QA guys ASAP to find out if they have any information on this.
Thanks so much for the information. No need to check with QA, knowing that it is Unreal Engine 4 is enough information for me. I hope you did not take my incorrect assumption personally as there was no ill intention, just a wrong guess :)
TheSaint54: Thanks so much for the information. No need to check with QA, knowing that it is Unreal Engine 4 is enough information for me.
Glad I could be of help.

TheSaint54: I hope you did not take my incorrect assumption personally as there was no ill intention, just a wrong guess :)
Oh no, don't worry. I hope I didn't appear annoyed by it, just wanted to clarify it. :)

Aaanyway, guys, heading to bed now, so don't expect any more replies from me for a couple of hours. Keep the questions coming and I'll respond as soon as I can.

And once again let me encourage you guys to watch our stream. Our art director and one of our level artists just took over.
Nice! Got this added to the wishlist. I love crisp, isometric-styled games, especially if you can choose or customize your protagonist.
I'm super excited to be here!!!!

I'm new to GOG. Tried to run Phantom Doctrine on steam and I couldnt get past the first 2 seconds.
Now I'm here hoping this version of the game will run smooth. If it doesnt I hope you guys can help me out!
I'm a long war 2 finantic so i've probably turn based killed more things than you have.
If we had turn based games where we only had one unit and it was 6 on 6 would that be rad in VR? Just saying glad to be here.
EDITED 2 days later:
After messaging with GOG support, it turned out that the VC++ install was indeed included in the offline installer. Furthermore I noticed that UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe checks for its presence and installs it if absent. For whatever still unknown reason, it didn't do that for me, despite re-running the offline setup. To make it work in the end I had to uninstall the UE4 prerequisites by running UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe again, found in the game's folder, and uninstall VC++ 2015 x64 as well. After doing this a reinstallation worked. I can confirm that the installation using any offline installer on a freshly installed Windows, set-up for testing, succeeded without errors. Maybe this is still helpful to anyone.

keithhupp: I'm super excited to be here!!!![snip]
Welcome to GOG, I hope you like it here.

Wanted to post something error-related myself, I post this here as well in case someone checks this thread instead of the game's own technical support subforum:
I've installed the game using the offline installer. When I tried to load the first level, I got an error popup saying FATAL ERROR and loading just stalled. Repairing the game using GOG Galaxy solved the problem.

I've verified that the offline installer doesn't install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24215, which apparently, according to Epic Games, is required to install UE4 prerequisites successfully.
Alternatively you can install this by yourself:

1. Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24215 and run it:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=53840

2. Run the UE4 prerequisites installer that can be found on your drive:
%GOG GAMES PATH%\Phantom Doctrine\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us\UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe

I'll drop a message to GOG support, informing them about the currently missing redistributable package for the offline installer.

Midoryu

“Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.”
André Gide(1869-1951), French author

Edited 3 minutes later: Added missing word ("that").
Post edited August 18, 2018 by Midoryu
Feeling burt still cant get past the blur screen... anyone find out how to fix this yet?
keithhupp: Feeling burt still cant get past the blur screen... anyone find out how to fix this yet?
Welcome to GOG! :) I think you are more likely to get a solution on the games' official subforum (you access such forums directly from your game's page - click the MORE button next to the PLAY button and choose "View forum") - https://www.gog.com/forum/phantom_doctrine#1534334818
Post edited August 15, 2018 by lubwak
TheSaint54: Thanks so much for the information. No need to check with QA, knowing that it is Unreal Engine 4 is enough information for me.
F4LL0UT: Glad I could be of help.

TheSaint54: I hope you did not take my incorrect assumption personally as there was no ill intention, just a wrong guess :)
F4LL0UT: Oh no, don't worry. I hope I didn't appear annoyed by it, just wanted to clarify it. :)

Aaanyway, guys, heading to bed now, so don't expect any more replies from me for a couple of hours. Keep the questions coming and I'll respond as soon as I can.

And once again let me encourage you guys to watch our stream. Our art director and one of our level artists just took over.
Just want to say thanks for releasing the game here. Just started to play and i can already see how much hard work you guys have done on it and cant wait to play a lot more of the game.
Hope it sells well for you as it is one game that really does deserve to sell well.
aluinie: Just want to say thanks for releasing the game here. Just started to play and i can already see how much hard work you guys have done on it and cant wait to play a lot more of the game.
Hope it sells well for you as it is one game that really does deserve to sell well.
Thank you for the kind words. We really poured a lot of love and hard work into this game.

Anyway guys, we're watching and listening and already working on fixes for the most jarring problems (despite today being a national holiday!).

There's obviously a number of purely technical problems like crashes and such that did not occur on any of our test machines. We're already working on those.

Otherwise the biggest problem seems to be with the sidestepping mechanics which makes characters seemingly shoot each other through walls and such. I just wish to clarify that mechanically the shooting mechanics work perfectly fine and in accordance with what is explained in the tutorial - they work the same way for the player and the enemy. The shots mechanically occur between two tiles that are connected by a line of fire but there's some issues with the visualization (the target doesn't step out to the tile that we have the line of fire to). We're working on a fix for this and will release it ASAP in a patch.
Post edited August 15, 2018 by F4LL0UT
Please add the official manual to the downloadable extras of GOG users of the game - it's available on Steam...
While I can download it from there, if I update my offline backup of GOG games (e.g. using gogrepo.py) the clean operation will remove it, since it's not part of the official game downloads on GOG... and I don't want to redownload it over and over again from another location - and probably won't remember to do it anyway...

Post edited August 15, 2018 by IFW
amurgaming: Originally I was happy to have pre-ordered. But I just noticed the out of place user rating on Metacritic. Hence I'm a bit tempted to ask for a refund. Just a little though.
F4LL0UT: Yeah, we noticed that even before the game's release a lot of 10/10 user ratings popped up on Metacritic. I promise you that these weren't posted by us.

My best guess is that those were posted by some well-meaning souls who have no idea how that looks to others. Even months before release we've had some serious fanboys on our Discord channel, who never even had a chance to play the game until today but just couldn't stop talking about how great it is just from the videos and chatting with us. Then there's been of course many streamers and reviewers who were given copies in advance, some of whom also enjoyed the game very much and may have been a tad too happy about getting distinguished in this manner. And finally we're a publicly held company, there are people we are not directly affiliated with but who would benefit from the game doing well. That's a lot of people we have no control over but who may have posted these ratings.

I am sure, however, that neither CreativeForge nor our publisher Good Shepherd would do anything to artificially boost the user ratings in an organised manner. We're honestly the kind of people who facepalm at other companies pursuing such practices. Nobody with any sense here would even tell their friends and family to give the game a perfect score without having played it.

I expect that the user score will soon be dominated by regular gamers who actually bought and played the game for at least a few hours after release.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your presence and openness on the forums. I wasn't being serious about the refund anyway. The fact that a whole bunch of 10/10s came in just seemed a little fishy to me. Congrats to the decent reviews you've gotten so far. I hope you guys will be able to address some of the most pressing issues in the weeks and months going forward (if the sales justify further development).