It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bet you didn’t expect this news, but here we are – Betrayer is now available on GOG for FREE, as we continuously work on making games last forever!

Betrayer is an atmospheric first-person horror adventure set in the New World during the early 17th century. You’ll step into the year 1604, having set sail from England with the expectation of joining a struggling colony on the Virginia coast. Instead of a thriving community though, you’ll be greeted by an eerie silence and mysteries; wondering what calamity befell this land, robbing it of vibrancy and life. Through the careful gathering of clues, your quest will be to reconstruct the narrative of this ill-fated settlement and uncover a way to restore order.

Check it out now, for FREE on GOG!

We'd also like to take a moment for a big thank you to Tyler, also known as tfishell – one of our fellow gaming enthusiasts, who helped us bring this gem to our catalog. We couldn't have asked for a more passionate and awesome community. Let's keep making games last forever, together.
Guter: Yes, this title IIRC has always been showing graphical glitches on AMD GPUs back then.
I think that was the reason why it got delisted on steam.
FalloutDefault: I just installed the game and the glitches (white rectangles flashing on highlighted objects) are still there when using an RX 580.
There is a fix for that
This article may interest Linux users: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/07/after-being-removed-from-steam-betrayer-is-now-free-on-gog/

Guter: Yes, this title IIRC has always been showing graphical glitches on AMD GPUs back then.
I think that was the reason why it got delisted on steam.
FalloutDefault: I just installed the game and the glitches (white rectangles flashing on highlighted objects) are still there when using an RX 580.
Just to quote u/neurasthenya's text:

"download DXVK, and place the d3d9.dll in the game directory>Binaries>Win32

Might get a few stutters in the beginning but it shall pass"
Post edited July 13, 2023 by tfishell
tfishell: This article may interest Linux users: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/07/after-being-removed-from-steam-betrayer-is-now-free-on-gog/

tfishell: Just to quote u/neurasthenya's text:

"download DXVK, and place the d3d9.dll in the game directory>Binaries>Win32

Might get a few stutters in the beginning but it shall pass"
Since you seem to know the game a bit. I have just finished the sentry map and whenever I enter the westgate to get to st george the game crashes. Every single time.

I am on Win10/64 bit and I am running a GTX1060. The game ran fine until this moment :(

Edit: Nevermind. Disabling the Galaxy overlay fixed the issue for me :)
Post edited July 13, 2023 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: whenever I enter the westgate to get to st george the game crashes. Every single time. (...)
^^ That's a safety feature. It limits your immersion to sane levels.
Wouldn't want to lose yourself in there, right?
tfishell: *spit take*

Oh hey! Unexpected! I have to admit I did request a credit in the release post, so much thanks to the GOG staff who remembered to do this. And for GOG accepting this despite making no money from it.

Like in the era of the "game rights diary-esque thread", basically I did some snooping and contacting, and got in touch with the correct person. I'll keep it vague (maybe add more details later), but there's a reason it is free.

BTW, this was the game I made a thread for months ago asking how to get in touch directly with GOG biz-dev. edit: here's the thread. Cranky and sarcastic b@st@rds in it. ;)

I imagine priority titles for GOG are games that have mainstream publishers and easily-available contact info, and weren't previously rejected (besides of course not being legally complex). It wasn't too hard but I did a little digging for Betrayer.

In any case, @anyone: people should always vote on the wishlist, of course, especially for titles that are pretty low on votes (I'd say fewer than 300 but that's just me). I snooped for Betrayer info because Betrayer had over 1k votes and was an indie so I figured I had an okay chance of reaching someone who actually knew something and that it had a better shot of a re-release over some AAA title of course.

I don't do this game rights research like I used to years ago. Others are certainly free to look into games themselves, though.
Kudos to you Tyler. Thank you pal!.
Post edited July 13, 2023 by 4thDown
MarkoH01: Since you seem to know the game a bit. I have just finished the sentry map and whenever I enter the westgate to get to st george the game crashes. Every single time.

I am on Win10/64 bit and I am running a GTX1060. The game ran fine until this moment :(

Glad you got it working again! No joke, I'll be honest:

I've never played the game myself.

I just did detective work after seeing how many votes it had.

4thDown: Kudos to you Tyler. Thank you pal!.
Thanks for the thanks!
Post edited July 14, 2023 by tfishell
FYI: New DXVK versions, like 2.2, may crash the game on older systems.
DXVK version 1.10.3 doesn't (on Win 7), and seems to fix the problem.